Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error rate of Linux on the desktop is 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

But people in a web browser can and will retry. Enough that measures had to be taken in many places to protect against things like double-posting, re-submitting forms that were too old, etc.

well, maybe they'll retry. you hope they will. since netflix controls the client 100%, they have the ability to compel retries without user intervention.

MononcQc posted:

Then again, I'd like to read the netflix stuff and what they found was particularly hard.

i was thinking of netflix hystrix

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Captain Foo posted:

Error rate of Linux on the desktop is 100%
CLOSED WONTFIX WORKSFORME

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://blog.mecheye.net/2014/08/hanging-up-the-hat/

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yay wayland! ... yayland.

i have a question: does gnome-shell clear and re-render an entire opengl frame at 60fps no matter what? or does it only render a frame if something changed? does it redraw the entire screen or just the damaged area?

apparently android et al are pushing to do more compositing using just overlay engines or w/e because running the 3D engine on a GPU sucks quite a bit of battery versus using the dedicated 2D hardware.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We try really hard to not redraw when nothing changes, and we also try really hard to draw only the portions of the screen that need updating (using glScissor). Unfortunately, these are pushed into weird layers of the stack and sometimes the optimizations break.

We can't use hardware overlays (besides cursors) yet, but we're working on making it so we can. I was talking about it at lunch, actually, because I'm working on the code that manages the DND surface. That's the last Wayland feature we need to implement in mutter.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that would be pram.

itt i am catching bullshit from both ends: cjs are mad that i think you should have real working automation, startup manchildren are equal parts astonished and disgusted that anyone thinks about operations in the first place

ops are cool but a lot of startups really don't want to have to actually hire an ops guy so they hope that some magical tool will just solve it for them (lol heroku)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://wingolog.org/

This guy's optimisation work is cool and fun to read about, but it's also a tragic waste of time because nobody uses Guile for anything

Stallman can't get over the fact that LISP is dead

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's what Andy does in his spare time for fun. His day job is writing JavaScript VM patches for SpiderMonkey, V8 and JSC. And he's really good at it, too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

http://wingolog.org/

This guy's optimisation work is cool and fun to read about, but it's also a tragic waste of time because nobody uses Guile for anything

Stallman can't get over the fact that LISP is dead

lisp isn't dead. guile just never lived. the only thing that has ever used it, afaik, is The Gimp. almost certainly the largest set of guile code in the world

the problem was that guile was neither hot nor cold, but lukewarm, and spit out by the community. it wasn't even close to being common lisp, it wasn't compatible with scheme, and emacs was never going to be ported to it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's what Andy does in his spare time for fun. His day job is writing JavaScript VM patches for SpiderMonkey, V8 and JSC. And he's really good at it, too.

hacking on guile is probably a lot less frustrating

after all, scheme, the language, came out of compiler research.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

ops are cool but a lot of startups really don't want to have to actually hire an ops guy so they hope that some magical tool will just solve it for them (lol heroku)

for the 99% case, it does

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for the other 1% of startups that have functioning businesses, lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the other 1% of startups that have functioning businesses, lol

it's functioning businesses that have wisely avoided ops people that want to ruin everything with linux and java

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmfao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a startup doesn't become a business until they realize they need java/c#

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so if i just startup using c# and/or java am i immediately a business

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes because you probably also have a business plan and growth strategy since you're a mature and responsible adult who recognises Java's emphasis on actually getting useful tasks accomplished over hipster snowflake rapid-masturbation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

right and this 99% of the time they fail before the hit sufficient scale

but I think we've already made that joke

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

right and this 99% of the time they fail before the hit sufficient scale

but I think we've already made that joke

the joke here is ops people refusing to understand the death of ops and the rise of devops

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the joke here is ops people refusing to understand the death of ops and the rise of devops
Err, I don't disagree. I'm actually referring to devops here. Heroku enthusiasts magically believe devops will be handled as well. Or that their cloud provider will do their absolute best to ensure they minimize their server usage and pay their cloud provider the smallest possible amount of money.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm really liking all the Desktop Linux discussion in this thread.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I installed Debian on an older laptop yesterday. The Debian installer is pretty bad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm really liking all the Desktop Linux discussion in this thread.

everyone agrees that linux is not ready for the desktop: shaggar, ops stymie, flophousehawk, etc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also agree that Linux is not ready for the Desktop. Add me to that list, please.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Personally i think the real problem is that the desktop is not ready for linux.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Err, I don't disagree. I'm actually referring to devops here. Heroku enthusiasts magically believe devops will be handled as well. Or that their cloud provider will do their absolute best to ensure they minimize their server usage and pay their cloud provider the smallest possible amount of money.

That happens, fwiw. There are cases where ticket escalations go to the point where you have to dig into the user's app (with their permission) to figure out why something is going weird.

I know I had a case recently when I ended up diagnosing a cloudflare issue on behalf of a customer due to messed up redirections 0.01% of the time. Dedicated support people tend up helping customers a lot on simpler issues, it's just not always the fastest thing in the world v:shobon:v

It's of course not a systematic thing because there's just so many apps you can't go down and tune everyone's stuff for them, but yeah.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://www.themukt.com/2014/08/24/linus-torvalds-hero-says-13-years-old-zachary-dupont/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i also agree that linux is not ready for the desktop. neither are windows or os x.

really nothing is ready for the desktop. lets go back to mainframes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

IPvSH6T posted:

i also agree that linux is not ready for the desktop. neither are windows or os x.

unironically

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

IPvSH6T posted:

ok but can we call it "the cloud"?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Soricidus posted:

CLOSED WONTFIX WORKSFORME
more like

closed:
The fix is <50 lines of terminal commands following>

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
interactive terminals were deprecated in the last release and have now been removed. please feed your 50 lines of commands into systemd-shelld.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i really like the guy who popped up to inappapropriately ask about mouse jerkiness in your farewell post

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

interactive terminals were deprecated in the last release and have now been removed. please feed your 50 lines of commands into systemd-shelld.

munch munch i enjoy eating poo poo because that is The Unix Way

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do modern distros still call the admin group wheel group?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do modern distros still call the admin group wheel group?

yeah.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
where did the group name wheel come from anyways, i know the names of the neckbeard prophets and a lot of eunuchs history but not that

also pls do not put a linux on the desktop

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BobHoward posted:

where did the group name wheel come from anyways, i know the names of the neckbeard prophets and a lot of eunuchs history but not that

also pls do not put a linux on the desktop

The term is derived from the slang phrase big wheel, referring to a person with great power or influence.[1]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

The term is derived from the slang phrase big wheel, referring to a person with great power or influence.[1]

nice wikipedia quote couldn't even source it from the jargon file

wheel: n.

[from slang ‘big wheel’ for a powerful person] A person who has an active wheel bit. “We need to find a wheel to unwedge the hung tape drives.” (See wedged, sense 1.) The traditional name of security group zero in BSD (to which the major system-internal users like root belong) is ‘wheel’. Some vendors have expanded on this usage, modifying Unix so that only members of group ‘wheel’ can go root.