Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Welp finally put my rig together. One thing I've found is that the EVO 212 has really loving sharp parts. Cut my hands a few times.

Windows is now installing. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Handbrake is amazing at cutting down filesizes.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

Welp finally put my rig together. One thing I've found is that the EVO 212 has really loving sharp parts. Cut my hands a few times.

I've cut some part of my hands on every single computer I've put together/heavily worked on. I've come to assume it is a required sacrifice for a successful build.

After a long time of looking for a FPS that has solid gunplay besides Payday 2 (hey, I like it) I decided to reinstall Call of Pripyat only to be plagued with 10 minute load times and 30 second lock ups during game play. After desperately trying to figure out what had changed since I last played for 4 hours, I decided to check the executables. Steam enabled Windows XP compatibility for every exe file.

Four. Hours. :cripes:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Does anybody know if Stalker allows you to configure the screenshots you take with F12? I'm finding some of my shots are a little more washed out or bloomy than I'd like. I know I could just FRAPs it, or take a video and take screens from that. I guess I'm just old timey, maybe I'll need to learn that instead.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Monolith. posted:

Handbrake is amazing at cutting down filesizes.

Handbrake is really good in general and its awesome at smoothing out inconsistent framerates in videos

e: the Lost Alpha intro is giving me some serious Peace Walker flashbacks

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh my, Lost Alpha is fun. Gorgeous, too. Playing it at 1280x768 because apparently this is the only display that my HDTV can do that doesn't look terrible or too small.

Holy jesus are the ingame cutscenes embarassing, though. There's a few neat ones (just gotten to the Garbage) but I think the poorer than normal (even by stalker standards) voice acting is killing it.

That said, it's fun as gently caress and it's amazing seeing what they've done with the levels. I know SoC like the back of my hand and I managed to get lost in the Cordon again and found some cool stuff. Going into the anomaly tunnel was fun. Four times as big, four times as many anomalies, and extra guests. The anomalies took care of them, though. Then there was that extra place I didn't dare go into as I had crappy weapons.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Lost Alpha is really great, minus the fanfic level of writing. It's really fun seeing how much they've changed certain levels. Good luck finding the Bar on your first try. Pray you make it before it's dark outside.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Since I couldn't resist poking around the gamefiles, it's interesting to see what appears to be incomplete at the moment. There's the entire Stalkersky network, various little things like being able to buy a tame pseudodog from Sakharov etc.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

MadBimber posted:

Lost Alpha is really great, minus the fanfic level of writing. It's really fun seeing how much they've changed certain levels. Good luck finding the Bar on your first try. Pray you make it before it's dark outside.

Is there a way to adjust the timescale like there is in OGSE?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gave up on Misery 2.1, hit a brick wall where I couldn't afford a seva suit, no money to loan Vano, no artefact spawns and every expedition into the zone was costing me more than I could make back.
Though I really enjoyed being a survivalist mutant hunter living off cooked Flesh bacon and Chimera steak. Too bad nothing else about the mod was as fun.

Worst part about it was the incomprehensible walls of text and gibberish numbers on every loving item description.

What's this Lost Alpha thing I keep hearing about?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Lost Alpha is basically a free, full standalone game that is built on the X-Ray Engine (that's been vastly improved with multicore support, more modern features etc.)

It's an attempt to recreate the "alpha" builds of Shadow of Chernobyl. It's basically the closest thing we're likely to get to Stalker 2.

From the couple of hours I've played of it, it's about 200x times better than Misery in every single way. It also works! Which is a huge plus.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I did have some problems loading Rostok, which boiled down to two sources:
1.) Static lighting is actually worse than limited dynamic and
2.) My continued sound mod fuckery

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

Lost Alpha is basically a free, full standalone game that is built on the X-Ray Engine (that's been vastly improved with multicore support, more modern features etc.)

It's an attempt to recreate the "alpha" builds of Shadow of Chernobyl. It's basically the closest thing we're likely to get to Stalker 2.

From the couple of hours I've played of it, it's about 200x times better than Misery in every single way. It also works! Which is a huge plus.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Neat.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The main problem I had with Lost Alpha was they added a lot of tremendous amount of new area to the map, but it's not really utilized for anything so the practical effect is doubling the distance between objectives in a game that was already fairly sprawling and deliberately paced. Also the whole sequence of Dark Valley->helicopter chase->mines was not fun and seemed like it belonged in a different game. I finally got a persistent crash towards the end of that, where you have to steal some documents from the bandits for Sin, and I was almost relieved.

I'm trying Autumn Aurora right now, really enjoying it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Once upon a time I bought ShoC and CoP on Steam but they looked too dated graphically; was in the mood to try again after finishing Metro: Last Light. Started with Pripyat Complete, loving it but it's getting a little easy, so I might jump into an overhaul with crafting and skinning and whatever. Maybe Misery.

ShoC is a different story. I got some "complete pack" but I'm pretty turned off by what I've seen so far, so I may have to remove my whole install and try again with Alpha, because that's sounding good.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

Once upon a time I bought ShoC and CoP on Steam but they looked too dated graphically; was in the mood to try again after finishing Metro: Last Light. Started with Pripyat Complete, loving it but it's getting a little easy, so I might jump into an overhaul with crafting and skinning and whatever. Maybe Misery.

ShoC is a different story. I got some "complete pack" but I'm pretty turned off by what I've seen so far, so I may have to remove my whole install and try again with Alpha, because that's sounding good.

Something tells me lost alpha will do even less for you.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

What do you dislike about ShoC? Lost Alpha is just a lengthy rebuild of that game. If you don't like ShoC, I don't see you liking Lost Alpha. It has nicer graphics but the game play is the same and story progression roughly the same.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Going from CoP backward a couple games in the series, ShoC seems clunky -- you can't for instance use numbers to select dialog options, you have to click with the mouse; grody UI; character models need updated; and even the cursor is slower than I'm used to. And the graphics weren't what I have going in modded CoP, despite the upgrade I used. I want to get lost in the Zone, but all that was pulling me out. I'll give it another shot of course; I'm sure there are mods to fix all that and more, I just don't know which ones to go with yet.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

EvanSchenck posted:

The main problem I had with Lost Alpha was they added a lot of tremendous amount of new area to the map, but it's not really utilized for anything so the practical effect is doubling the distance between objectives in a game that was already fairly sprawling and deliberately paced. Also the whole sequence of Dark Valley->helicopter chase->mines was not fun and seemed like it belonged in a different game. I finally got a persistent crash towards the end of that, where you have to steal some documents from the bandits for Sin, and I was almost relieved.

I'm trying Autumn Aurora right now, really enjoying it.

I guess that means I shouldn't ice the dudes holding Fox hostage?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Different lot of Sin. The Sin in the mines seem completely different, and roughly 400% more annoying. I had fantasies of icing Veles for being such a prick, but I'm not sure that wouldn't really break everything.

That said, one of the lead devs said not to kill those guys, but they never popped up in the story again (at least for me).

MadBimber posted:

story progression roughly the same.

Very roughly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Those of you playing LA, are there any features in other mods you like that you would like to see in LA? Within reason, of course, I'm not going to try and port stalkersoup over :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Those of you playing LA, are there any features in other mods you like that you would like to see in LA? Within reason, of course, I'm not going to try and port stalkersoup over :v:

It must be done.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Lost Alpha devs are so cool, they've pretty much commented and gave examples with pretty much every single script in the game and have even made it really, really loving easy to add your own custom modules with the la_framework.ltx config.

I'm a bit rusty, though. I do have a functioning port of the greatest Clear Sky mod for LA, though: Pseudodoggles.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I'm a bit rusty, though. I do have a functioning port of the greatest Clear Sky mod for LA, though: Pseudodoggles.

The only one you really need.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's quite nice to be able to play and enjoy a stalker game again. Got to Agroprom.. took out the military (nice that the underground is now not a separate level) and noticed there was one contact left... no biggie. Trying to get at Strelok's flash drive when out of nowhere I get shot in the back of the head and killed by that one soldier. That's what I get for not clearing the area completely.

That Sin building in the Cordon got attacked by rookies and some of them got taken out. Managed to get some stubby .44s off their bodies, which was nice as it's a pretty drat powerful pistol.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 26, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Freeplay would be amazing, like something similar to Doom's Mod Merge for SoC. Hell, it doesn't even need to be that complicated, just remove the main story and level changer restrictions (DMM lets you name your character and pick a faction, adds new vendors, etc.). I just want to go stalking in all those big beautiful maps. Of course, the main problem is filling all those maps with activity, because they were kind of barren the last time I played...

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

That said, one of the lead devs said not to kill those guys, but they never popped up in the story again (at least for me).

To explain what happens if you ice the dudes holding Fox, it has consequences in the mines sequence. After you escape into the train tunnel, you'll get a text from Petrenko telling you not to go deeper into the Mines, because Sin is pissed at you for killing some of their boys earlier. If you disregard him and go into the mines anyway, you die. Not "they kill you," just "you die." I upgraded my suit with NVGs and I could actually see quite well in there, so I decided to just fight my way through. Nope. There's no fight, not even any enemies, you just spontaneously drop dead once you go deep enough. To get through the mines, you have to go all the way back to the Bar and pay Barkeep 10,000 rubles to get back on their good side, then return to the entrance. Then it proceeds as normal.

Basically killing those guys adds a mandatory "run 20 miles and back" fetch quest.

Robot Randy posted:

If you feel like getting spoiled, see above. Really the main problem I had with the whole bit was that it didn't fit the tone, pacing, and gameplay of STALKER. I mostly see it as a game about exploring an abandoned wilderness, carefully creeping through minefields, and occasionally getting in sudden white-knuckle gunfights. Lost Alpha is mostly that, but they threw in a big setpiece action sequence where you have a flee a helicopter in a car, and it just comes out of nowhere.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The new maps in Lost Alpha are pretty cool, I just wish that the cars weren't apparently 20 pounds. Tipping over by just turning is ridiculous.

Also the story, jesus christ. I just got to the doctor in the swamp. Holy poo poo that was amazingly bad.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Robot Randy posted:

Trade him then kill them, they have nice stuff and it doesn't affect your standing with them. At least i got through the mines okay after killing the first group, but the AI bugged out and they didn't go hostile on me when i murdered the first two with slug headshots so i dunno?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

Also the story, jesus christ. I just got to the doctor in the swamp. Holy poo poo that was amazingly bad.

It gets worse lmao

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Lost Alpha literally uses Atmosfear's blowout/psi-storm scripts. I guess they're just a placeholder, though, as there's a much more developed blowout script that is obviously unfinished included but not actually used at the moment.

Kind of stoked looking at it as they had much the same ideas I had for emissions but they've done them much better. Namely, world lights should ideally flicker/turn off when an emission is raging and such.

I haven't actually seen it myself yet, but looking at the scripts they've got some cool effects for zombies during emissions.

Zombies go into the "wounded" state (on their backs, flailing) when an emission is going on. In the scripts they refer to this as the zombies 'getting high' :v:

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Arsenal Overhaul 2.3 just came out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads

code:
Changelog:

Optional Addons:
- New arm models
- Hostile bandits

Weapon Changes:
- 20 new weapons
- New sounds for most weapons
- New dynamic sounds for pistols and shotguns
- Automatic/burst upgrades are functional for the USP, P220, Glock, Beretta and CZ-75
- Unique weapons have been shuffled around
- Uncle Yar rewards you with the Lynx after completing the Kopachi mission
- Gonta rewards you with a MP-133 after killing the Zaton Chimera

NPC Weaponry:
- Zaton mercenary squads rearmed with Warsaw Pact weaponry
- Freedom rearmed with new NATO weaponry
- Bandits rearmed with more surplus weapons
- Stalkers rearmed with various new weapons
- Duty rearmed with various new weapons
- Monolith completely rearmed with various Warsaw Pact assault rifles. The 6.5 AK-12 is now rare.

Nimble's Weapons:
- AWP replaced by TRG-42, AWP can be bought from Hawaiian after starting to side with Freedom
- New model for AKMSU
- SR3M replaced by M95, SR3M can be bought from OWl after starting to side with the Stalkers
- SVU-A2 replaced by Walther WA-2000, SVU-A2 can be bought from Hawaiian after starting to side with Freedom
- Groza-1 replaced by early model HK G3
- G36C replaced with HK417 with EO-Tech sight. A mercenary now carries the G36C.

New Weapons:
- AEK-971
- WA 2000
- TRG-22
- TRG-42
- CZ-52
- CZ-75
- TT-33
- PMM
- Desert Eagle .357
- MP-412
- MP-133
- OTs-02 Kiparis
- Bizon-2-07
- AUG A3
- HK417
- SVT40
- RPK-74
- AKMS
- M16
- IZH-43

New Ammunition:
- 7.62x25 FMJ
- 7.62x25 JHP
- .357 Magnum JHP

Model Replacements:
- AKS-74U
- AK-74M
- AK-103
- AKM
- M4A1
- FN2000 Tactical
- PP2000
- Beretta
- Browning HP
- Walther P99
- USP
- USP Match
- Sig P220
- PM
- Fort-12
- GSh-18
- Desert Eagle
- M1911
- SVD
- SVU
- AS Val
- VSS
- TOZ-34
- TOZ-34 Sawn off
- TOZ-194
- Mossberg 500 

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 30, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Ddraig posted:

Does Lost Alpha have artifact activation in it?

If not... please put in artifact activation. Sucking bandits into black holes is my favourite thing.

(I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

your evil twin posted:

Does Lost Alpha have artifact activation in it?

If not... please put in artifact activation. Sucking bandits into black holes is my favourite thing.

(I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that.)

There are a few mods that do this. Lost Alpha looks like it's fairly easy to port mods to from SoC, and Dezowave have been really great about adding in functionality to make modding easier.

Putting together a mini-compilation. Just a few features that I like from other mods:

Right now there's:

* Dynamic huds, including blood splatter on the screen if you kill something at close range
* Zombification. Marked One can now become zombified, with a few bonus perks like immunity to psy attacks and radiation but everyone hates you. This is also a sort of workaround the Sin mines, as if you are Zombied when you get there, you won't be instantly killed. Good if you've burned bridges with them early on (still working on making it work as a workaround, shouldn't be impossible).
* Psychic Sickness. Ported from my SoC mod. Still not fully implemented, but basically a modified version of Horror Time from OGSE. Stalkers are less combat effective, and will often fail to avoid grenades and other things. Will sometimes occur after an emission/psi-storm
* Gore mods. Shooting enemies will now produce more blood spatter, and blowing them up with grenades will create a fountain of blood.
* Playable guitars/harmonicas. Stalkers also have an expanded pool of music to play from.
* Emission effects. Not as extensive as I'd like, but more an immersion thing. Radios will switch off, certain electric things will not work as intended. Currently working on applying the "zombie high" to players who are zombified.
* Fixes to mutants so they no longer have bright white glowing eyes.
* Fixes to various levels
* General immersion tweaks. Stuff like your busted sunrise suit in the drawer, more PDA conversations, more news on the stalker network etc.
* A few minor bug fixes and quality of life tweaks.

I haven't tested out artifact activation yet but if it works I'll definitely put it in.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Ddraig posted:

...more PDA conversations, more news on the stalker network etc.

I second this, the PDA conversations/network were one of the best parts of OGSE, they made SoC so much more dynamic.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

I swear every time I think I'm done playing CoP...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OregonDonor posted:

I second this, the PDA conversations/network were one of the best parts of OGSE, they made SoC so much more dynamic.

By PDA conversations, I mean stuff like being able to talk one on one with other stalkers via the contacts list. I've added in a bunch of extra conversations and stuff, in addition to a metric fuckton of extra messages on the stalker network across all categories (general, rumours, jokes, spam etc.)

Right now with 'psychic sickness' it has a few effects. Namely:

* Stalkers will not go out of their way to avoid grenades.
* Stalkers will be far less precise when it comes to throwing them (chances are good they might gently caress up and throw it at their own drat feet
* Stalkers will not give a drat if they're shooting through their friends to get to you. They also won't care enough to not shoot through you if they're on your side and you're between them and the enemy.

I guess this makes things easier, but it's kind of fun during this period when everything is being bathed in negative feels to see stalkers turn into bumbling idiots that will happily blow themselves up and jump on grenades because they're just tired of life.

Here's something aswell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnLdEg8I04Y

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Add the ability to :ocelot: when you have a Makarov equipped

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would it be a huge undertaking for a mod to add a few buildings here or there? Not like whole cities or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Awesome, thank you!

Is that based on the previous "real first person artifact activation" mod for ShoC? Were you able to fix the bug that causes the Fireball artifact to crash the game? I did a simple workaround of telling the Fireball artifact to use the first-person videmodel of a different artifact, but it would be great if the Fireball view model was actually fixed.