Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Dead Man's Switch. So does this mean that there's no point in having a decker with me at all?
The game tells you when you need one and/or gives you one when you really need them, so yeah you shouldn't hire a decker unless told otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Someone was praising Last of Us in the other thread, and it reminded me of a gripe I have: I like that NG+ lets you keep your upgrades, but I would have preferred it if it let me keep the weapons, too, because there's stuff you get towards the middle or end of the game I wanted to play with much earlier.

Specifically I want to murder people with the Shorty all game long.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012
Myst IV: Revelations has an in-game help system. That's cool because the puzzles are among the hardest in the series. Too bad the help is goddamn worthless.

There are three levels of hints for any puzzle. The first isn't even a hint, it just helps you identify which puzzle you're on (ie "to open this door you need to figure out this lock"). Level two hints don't tell you anything you couldn't figure out yourself by playing with the puzzle for ten seconds ("you can slide these levers around"). Level three hints...are just straight up answers ("move the levers in this order").

What's missing here is a hint as to the logic behind the puzzle, like "you want the levers to end up in this position." You know, an actual hint. Worse, some puzzles can't be reset, so the game punishes actually experimenting and making an effort and rewards just using the in-game walkthrough.

Also it has really bad FMV and is pretty dumb in general.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Two instances of game-down-dragging:

1) Particle effects. Yeah, fog and smoke look nice, but every computer I've ever had has chugged trying to handle particle effects. I'm convinced there is some conspiracy by Big Particle to include them in every game, despite them ruining every game's experience. I don't loving need to have pipes venting out steam at me! I'd rather have a smooth framerate, please lay off the heavy particle effects. Skyrim is a huge offender; I can handle the long viewing distances fine, but a tiny cave with fog on the ground cuts my framerate by two thirds.

2) loving fidgety-as-hell NPC animations. Look, humans don't normally do a hyper-caffeinated dance all the time every time you talk to them. They actually look at you, and just talk. DXHR is a real bad offender of this, but it's pretty much any game that has a lot of person-to-person communications. The animators grossly over-animate the NPCs.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One of the anti-rejection drug's side effects is Parkinson's disease.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

1) Particle effects. Yeah, fog and smoke look nice, but every computer I've ever had has chugged trying to handle particle effects. I'm convinced there is some conspiracy by Big Particle to include them in every game, despite them ruining every game's experience. I don't loving need to have pipes venting out steam at me! I'd rather have a smooth framerate, please lay off the heavy particle effects. Skyrim is a huge offender; I can handle the long viewing distances fine, but a tiny cave with fog on the ground cuts my framerate by two thirds.

2) loving fidgety-as-hell NPC animations. Look, humans don't normally do a hyper-caffeinated dance all the time every time you talk to them. They actually look at you, and just talk. DXHR is a real bad offender of this, but it's pretty much any game that has a lot of person-to-person communications. The animators grossly over-animate the NPCs.

DXHR: the over-animation is to give you visual feedback on how the NPCs are reacting to what you say. plus DXHR has a entire augment system designed around the NPC dialogue reactions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I recall that the "verbal battles" were animated fairly well, like the animators bothered to mocap the actors.

Talking to random NPCs on the streets made the engine take over and spazz out.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Phobophilia posted:

I recall that the "verbal battles" were animated fairly well, like the animators bothered to mocap the actors.

Talking to random NPCs on the streets made the engine take over and spazz out.

Still not as bad as a lot of RPGs where an NPC will repeat the same looped "I'm talking with my hands" animation for literally five minutes or more of dialogue, though - The Last Remnant was bad enough about it sometimes that I'm convinced that one of the conversations was animated that way as a self-referential joke.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Divinity II has such over-animated NPCs that the talking head conversations gave me motion sickness.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You'd assume considering how much bideogames ape film that they'd use imitate film acting instead of theatre acting.

Unless that's what they're actually aiming for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They do a lot of emoting through their bodies because until fairly recently videogames couldn't really do anything but the broadest of facial expressions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They've had the tech since Half Life 2.

Which was 10 years ago.

Holy gently caress HL2 came out 10 years ago.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

tuluk posted:

DXHR: the over-animation is to give you visual feedback on how the NPCs are reacting to what you say. plus DXHR has a entire augment system designed around the NPC dialogue reactions.

No I don't mean like that. There are specific instances where the NPC dialogue and mocap is extremely well-done (the early confrontation with Zeke Sanders is good, for example). But there are other times when their heads will just roll around and not look at you or anything else and it doesn't look even slightly right.

Also once you take the CASIE aug, all you do is loving look at the meter anyway so it doesn't even matter.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

never bothered with the casie aug in dxhr, so the over-detailed animations worked for me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In normal conversations, the characters only have three or four animations. If they weren't as distinctive as they are, it wouldn't be a problem, but the wave-your-arm-in-front-of-your-face thing gets really noticeable.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RyokoTK posted:

I've never had the fog problem, but Skyrim is also a big offender for the NPC thing. Pretty much every conversation involves characters kind of shuffling their feet, putting their hands on their hips, crossing their arms for no reason - sometimes all in a single conversation multiple times.

I think the worst was Serana, the major character they added for Dawnguard. She never stops moving and then when you get done talking to her she'll use any and every interactive object nearby. It's like she has some weird compulsion to use forges (even when they're being used as funeral pyres) and grindstones.

But speaking of frame rate problems, I've had a terrible time with New Vegas lately because it's decided that the radscoprions I've killed need to follow me around the world, clipping into the ground and somehow slowing everything down to a slideshow.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kimmalah posted:

But speaking of frame rate problems, I've had a terrible time with New Vegas lately because it's decided that the radscoprions I've killed need to follow me around the world, clipping into the ground and somehow slowing everything down to a slideshow.

That's Gamebryo for you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of weird fidgety NPCs, my friend bought some weird anime game called Time and Eternity some time ago, and brought it over, since we tend to play weird games and laugh at them. The game's pretty bad, and anime as gently caress in many creepy ways. But the way the NPCs move in cutscenes is so jarring - they have transitions between poses, but only certain poses, so often to go from pose A to pose B, they'll need to move through pose C first, which looks...weird. Especially when they do it rapidly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2VyhT8lo4&t=371s

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 26, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I swear I remember reading an article that NPC's move like they've drank 2 liters of energy drinks then starting having an epileptic fit when talking to PC's because the average gamer as the attention span of a 5 year old and will stop paying attention to what's going on if they're not flailing around like someone on fire getting chased by bees.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The "an alien is talking" sound clips from KOTOR make me turn off the sound whenever I need to have a long conversation with one. I would rather sit through a million badly animated conversations with real words than hear AGGABAGAWAHHH on repeat ever again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jaramin posted:

The "an alien is talking" sound clips from KOTOR make me turn off the sound whenever I need to have a long conversation with one. I would rather sit through a million badly animated conversations with real words than hear AGGABAGAWAHHH on repeat ever again.

It was cool until I realized they just repeated the same batch of "words" over and over. I thought they were actually using a full language at first.
My linguistic immersion!

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Jaramin posted:

Freespace 2 had an interesting compromise where each Vasudan used the same alien speech clip, but the translation was dubbed over it with synthesized speech.

Content:
The final levels in Serious Sam. Oh look, some powerups in a wide open space. I wonder what will happen. A couple of them were nice, but entire levels with nothing but the exact same setup every time get really tedious. Would it be too much to ask to add some obstacles so that you're forced to use something other than the endless circle-strafe every time?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

It was cool until I realized they just repeated the same batch of "words" over and over. I thought they were actually using a full language at first.
My linguistic immersion!

And then Jade Empire does the same thing with the spirits.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Jaramin posted:

"Moocha chacka packa? Sawinga colony!"

That line of stock dialogue will forever be burned into my brain. I can still hear it. :shepicide:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Generic American posted:

"Moocha chacka packa? Sawinga colony!"

That line of stock dialogue will forever be burned into my brain. I can still hear it. :shepicide:

That one was particularly egregious since like 50% of all aliens were male twilek, and they restarted their lines on that exact part whenever you skipped their horrible jibber jabber.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

It's kind of impressive how much of Jade Empire is just KotOR in kimonos and paper lanterns.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

LoonShia posted:

That's Gamebryo for you.

Yeah I've had the radscorpion glitch and the corpse following glitch on separate occasions (and separate games, since one was in Skyrim). Just the first time I've had them happen at the same time and cause the frame rate to take a nosedive, which is NOT what you want in the middle of a place like Quarry Junction. :stonk:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Croccers posted:

I swear I remember reading an article that NPC's move like they've drank 2 liters of energy drinks then starting having an epileptic fit when talking to PC's because the average gamer as the attention span of a 5 year old and will stop paying attention to what's going on if they're not flailing around like someone on fire getting chased by bees.

I remember Metal Gear Solid had characters bobbing their heads and such to distract from the fact they had no mouths.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Jade Empire was awesome.

Here's something I thought dragged down Far Cry 3: the loving story. The gameplay is fantastic. I loved ghosting outposts with a bow and a knife or sneaking around and creating minefield/c4 deathtraps or hunting wild animals (and enemies) in the jungle. I loved everything except playing the story missions. It feels cheap to just knock me upside the head in a cutscene. And that poo poo with Buck? Let's be real. There wouldn't have been a Buck quest. By the time you meet him you're so far down the rabbithole you'd have just tortured him.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Here's something I thought dragged down Far Cry 3: the loving story. The gameplay is fantastic. I loved ghosting outposts with a bow and a knife or sneaking around and creating minefield/c4 deathtraps or hunting wild animals (and enemies) in the jungle. I loved everything except playing the story missions. It feels cheap to just knock me upside the head in a cutscene. And that poo poo with Buck? Let's be real. There wouldn't have been a Buck quest. By the time you meet him you're so far down the rabbithole you'd have just tortured him.

I really wish you could skip the story sequences. Just because they're all in first-person, doesn't mean they aren't cutscenes and should be skippable as such. The gameplay is really solid, the story is just uncomfortable.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Jade Empire was awesome.

Far Cry 3 was still a step above Far Cry 2, in that it had things like memorable characters and clear objectives and it actually went to trouble of having friendly AI instead of having every faction attack you on sight because they were too lazy to code friendly AI the plot called for it.

Also Far Cry 3 mostly limited its Alice in Wonderland theme to a quote in the opening cutscene and the hallucinogenic drug trips, while Far Cry 2 tried so hard to make sure that you knew the developers had read Heart of Darkness.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mokinokaro posted:

I remember in the lead-up to Jade Empire's release Bioware talked about how they had hired some expert in Asian languages to create their fictional language and how it would be so immersive and have thousands of words...And then they just did the exact same thing as in KotOR with people repeating phrases!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They said a lot of things about Jade Empire. I remember it being said, even in the game itself, that Open Palm/Closed Fist is not a measure of good or evil, more of a philosophical divide between showing compassion or teaching strength. And then by the end of the game Closed Fist followers are pure evil on the magnitude of 20 megahitlers.

"Morality" systems are horrible enough, don't make it worse by lying about it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't one of the closed fist choices something like killing your party members and enslaving their souls forever?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jaramin posted:

Really glad they threw that out when they did Mass Effect, immersion be damned.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't one of the closed fist choices something like killing your party members and enslaving their souls forever?

The final one, as far as I can recall. You can then use one of your slaves to corrupt the local rain god by gutting your follower/slave and pouring their blood into said rain god.

I think there was one or two choices where Closed Fist stuck to the original concept (though if you pay attention to what he says, the main villain of the game is definitely Open Palm, which is interesting).

I still love Jade Empire despite this. Probably the prettiest X-Box game ever released.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Another option is to just straight-up mind-control any party member that objects to going maximum evil, with them being fully aware of it at the same time. This gets extra creepy if you use it on your love-interest to, well, make them continue being your love-interest. :stonk:

Open Palm/Closed Fist was an interesting concept for sure, but in excecution it was really just Light Side/Dark Side x 10.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bought Age of Empires® III: Complete Collection about a month ago and now I swear I'm not crazy anymore. All the units have a set speed they can run but whenever you mix and match them together into a diverse army everyone just trundles around suuuuuper sluggishly. I'd rather have a way to change if some of them run ahead or they all stick together at the same speed.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Even though the KOTOR alien voicework got a little repetitive for me, I always loved hearing the Ithorians talk for some reason. Heelta da keeltaah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Whoolighams posted:

Even though the KOTOR alien voicework got a little repetitive for me, I always loved hearing the Ithorians talk for some reason. Heelta da keeltaah!

Runga dihadun gahunka bee. Wannakum bes, ching palamule.