Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sagebrush posted:

This was super common back in the day, though. If you look through old (1950s ish) magazines you'll frequently come across handy household tips like "spilled grease on your tablecloth? Just soak it in gasoline, then hang it up to dry!"

Oh, no, I'm well aware of that. It's still funny, though.

StandardVC10 posted:

You'll have to go through TSA regardless, I think. I know I had to be totally re-screened along with my luggage when I arrived on a flight from France to MSP before I could board a domestic flight to my destination in California. But LAX isn't really built for connections and I would assume that there's no direct path between TBIT and Terminal 8.

Did you have to retrieve/recheck your bags, or were those transferred to the next flight? My flights are all code-share so both flights are the "same" airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ned posted:

My local airport here in Fukuoka, Japan has an observation deck and during the summer they set up a beer garden where you can get drunk and watch the planes. It is a pretty busy airport as well so a lot of the time you can't have much of a conversation due the noise of the engines.

I think all the Japanese airports have some kind of either indoor or outdoor viewing area at the terminal for plane watching. Like, they actively encourage people to go to and enjoy being at an airport just for the sake of just watching airplanes. It's pretty cool.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

YF19pilot posted:

Did you have to retrieve/recheck your bags, or were those transferred to the next flight? My flights are all code-share so both flights are the "same" airline.

If you're coming in from outside the country, you'll have to get your bags to go through customs. Otherwise, they should - should - transfer to the next flight on their own.When you check them, see if they've checked them to destination.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MRC48B posted:

It's a rotary-wing aircraft powered by turboshaft engines. "Minimal mechanical complexity" is not really a design parameter.

With the current setup, they only need two gearbox sets, one in each pod, with a connecting shaft system.

If they put the engines in the fuselage, it would require three gearbox sets. One in the center, one in each wingtip.

I don't know if I can say how many gearboxes are in the thing but there are a lot. More than you think.

Using a turbine instead of a proprotor on the Osprey just wouldn't work. There isn't enough thrust on demand with a turbine because that would require instant spool time-- which doesn't happen. The Ospreys governing system, like any helicopter, changes blade pitch giving you an instant thrust change. Yeah the harrier and the f-35 hover, but not well. They also don't pedal turn and do sideward flight very well. Yeah they are capable of it but I wouldn't want to.

The osprey is pretty fricken sweet though. I can try to field any questions on them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

FrozenVent posted:

If you're coming in from outside the country, you'll have to get your bags to go through customs. Otherwise, they should - should - transfer to the next flight on their own.When you check them, see if they've checked them to destination.

Okay, will do. Thanks for the advice and heads up. I'm coming from Ohio (CLE) going to Incheon (ICN) then onto Taipei (TPE).

Bob A Feet posted:

I don't know if I can say how many gearboxes are in the thing but there are a lot. More than you think.

Using a turbine instead of a proprotor on the Osprey just wouldn't work. There isn't enough thrust on demand with a turbine because that would require instant spool time-- which doesn't happen. The Ospreys governing system, like any helicopter, changes blade pitch giving you an instant thrust change. Yeah the harrier and the f-35 hover, but not well. They also don't pedal turn and do sideward flight very well. Yeah they are capable of it but I wouldn't want to.

I think BobHoward was getting at using a traditional pair of turboshafts positioned high on the fuselage, with the actual tilt-rotors where they currently are positioned. Main issue with that I can see, BobHoward, is the configuration might interfere with the fuselage itself in terms of cargo and crew capacity, or you'll end up with one ugly duckling (basically "configuration issues"). Also, the crew chief ain't going to be a very happy man having to crawl up on that wing to fix the engines, not to mention other complexities which wouldn't normally be there on a normal fixed wing or normal rotary wing aircraft.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 25, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

YF19pilot posted:

I think BobHoward was getting at using a traditional pair of turboshafts positioned high on the fuselage, with the actual tilt-rotors where they currently are positioned. Main issue with that I can see, BobHoward, is the configuration might interfere with the fuselage itself in terms of cargo and crew capacity, or you'll end up with one ugly duckling (basically "configuration issues"). Also, the crew chief ain't going to be a very happy man having to crawl up on that wing to fix the engines, not to mention other complexities which wouldn't normally be there on a normal fixed wing or normal rotary wing aircraft.

Oh wow I totally misread that.

I understand the question now. The engines are loving massive. That's pretty much the only reason.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Main issue with that I can see, BobHoward, is the configuration might interfere with the fuselage itself in terms of cargo and crew capacity, or you'll end up with one ugly duckling (basically "configuration issues"). Also, the crew chief ain't going to be a very happy man having to crawl up on that wing to fix the engines, not to mention other complexities which wouldn't normally be there on a normal fixed wing or normal rotary wing aircraft.

I dunno. Looks aside, it seems like the configuration wouldn't be any worse than a current turboshaft helicopter. What about the torsion tube required to transfer the torque though? I haven't done any rotary design, but that'd be two monster torque tubes, wouldn't it? Or maybe they wouldn't really care about angular deflection and cycling in those things (no idea what they would be hypothetically made of)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
For what it's worth, the V-280 Valor, which is one of the main competitors in the big next-gen army helo program, is basically a s-70 and V-22 lovechild looking thing, and while the engines are mounted on the wingtips, they do not rotate like the props/shafts do.

As a side note, I think it looks really, really awful. There something to like visually about the V-22 and the S-70, but this thing somehow captures none of it when combined.

EDIT: It definitely gets some bonus points though in that one proposal of the armed variant gave it 4 LGBs/SDBs in a cabin bomb bay.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 25, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah that's basically what I was asking. Thanks for the answers everyone, and sorry if I use terminology like turbines vs turboshafts poorly, I are a dumb computer engineer. :downs: Just curious about design tradeoffs like these, aerospace engineering is cool.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

For what it's worth, the V-280 Valor, which is one of the main competitors in the big next-gen army helo program, is basically a s-70 and V-22 lovechild looking thing, and while the engines are mounted on the wingtips, they do not rotate like the props/shafts do.

As a side note, I think it looks really, really awful. There something to like visually about the V-22 and the S-70, but this thing somehow captures none of it when combined.

EDIT: It definitely gets some bonus points though in that one proposal of the armed variant gave it 4 LGBs/SDBs in a cabin bomb bay.

All the official renders of that thing suffer from being lovely renders more than anything else.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You mean the real thing doesn't look like a Airwolf minivan with wings tacked on top?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

I dunno. Looks aside, it seems like the configuration wouldn't be any worse than a current turboshaft helicopter. What about the torsion tube required to transfer the torque though? I haven't done any rotary design, but that'd be two monster torque tubes, wouldn't it?

There's already a "monster torque tube" running through the middle of the wing. Either engine is capable of driving both rotors should the other one fail.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There's already a "monster torque tube" running through the middle of the wing. Either engine is capable of driving both rotors should the other one fail.

Good point. I realized that as I posted, but I thought that maybe the torque tube might be for one-off emergency use only, and not strong enough for regular use. I can't think of any other reason to go for a rotating engine design.

edit: unless they really wanted the high xx,zz,xz moments of inertia for some reason.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 25, 2014

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Worthleast posted:

Hanging out in the MSP observation deck. Nice and quiet with a good view of the runway traffic. Any other airports still have one of these?

Albuquerque has a nice one with views of the mountain and the fastest free airport wifi I've ever used. A+++ would fly out of again.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

"...a mechanic used petrol to clean the ship's gondala."
I mentioned it a long time go, I think, but when in A&P school the Aluminum Overcast B-17 stopped by our field on her tour. In exchange for cleaning it, our class got free reign to walk through it. One of the crew grabbed a few buckets, rags, and drained fuel from a sump for us to use.

He called it "wing solvent".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AzureSkys posted:

I mentioned it a long time go, I think, but when in A&P school the Aluminum Overcast B-17 stopped by our field on her tour. In exchange for cleaning it, our class got free reign to walk through it. One of the crew grabbed a few buckets, rags, and drained fuel from a sump for us to use.

He called it "wing solvent".

Back in the olden days (~2005,) the little airline I worked for would routinely use 100LL aerosolized with a home-built air chuck sprayer to clean cowlings and other greasy, grimy parts of the airplane. It cuts just about everything but hydraulic fluid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got tasked with cleaning some gross part of a ship once, we found empty bottles of Windex or whatever and filed them with diesel.

Worked great, smelled less so.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
On another note, aside from series' like Wings of The Red Star and Great Planes, are there any other documentary series' or non-series documentaries out there worth watching?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VERTiG0 posted:

On another note, aside from series' like Wings of The Red Star and Great Planes, are there any other documentary series' or non-series documentaries out there worth watching?

Air Disasters/Mayday

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There's Wings of Russia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx0U4oa1EOYhnujzL8Vvz8g This guy has lots of stuff on his channel.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

A Traveler meets ATC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX66lrGqhOI

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Man, how far we've come

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

When I saw the title I was imagining one of these

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Why did the S-3s get mothballed anyway? I thought they were kinda neat.
They still fly around here at Mugu last I checked. :patriot:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is 3/4 air traffic these days GA? I thought it would be much lower than that nowadays

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They still fly around here at Mugu last I checked. :patriot:

I think they still serve as target-draggers.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

United flight gets diverted after a passenger's use of a Knee Defender starts a fight (with water thrown!)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/26/plane-diverted-as-passengers-fight-over-seat-reclining

I'm tall enough to have trouble with economy seats (aim to get the emergency row whenever possible) but this strikes me as a pretty douchey move - seems surprising this sort of stuff hasn't happened before.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
As airlines continue to shrink legroom to non-realistic amounts, these sorts of events are going to become more common. I expect airlines to ban these knee defenders soon, but it's not going to make the problem go away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

United's economy plus has an extra 4" of leg room but an extra 2" of recline. Math doesn't quite work that way guys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Legroom wasn't the issue for me on my last flight and I'm 6'3"

Shoulder room was the real problem. I had to fly 4.5 hours from Phoenix to Pittsburgh rotated sideways because there literally wasn't physical room for my shoulders and the shoulders of the person next to me. It was, without hyperbole, the most uncomfortable 4 hours of my entire 35 year old life.

I'm generally a calm person and stuff like flying doesn't phase me, but I seriously almost had a panic attack until we got to altitude and the plane cooled off. I just focused on reading as much as I could and spent the next 3 days sore from the contortions necessary to fit.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Goons, I only have iphone pictures so nothing worth posting, but last week I went to the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot. If you get the chance to go to a race near you, take it, it was absolutely awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

revmoo posted:

As airlines continue to shrink legroom to non-realistic amounts, these sorts of events are going to become more common. I expect airlines to ban these knee defenders soon, but it's not going to make the problem go away.

They're already banned by most airlines.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Last couple times I've flown my thighbone is exactly the perfect length to wedge in there. They reduce legroom anymore and I'm kinda screwed :(

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've flown Delta MD-xx, United somethings and ERJs, and Southwest 737-700s in the past month. I thought the Southwest seats were surprisingly narrow. Legroom was acceptable, but the bones in my hips touched both arm rests.

ERJs are awesome, though. The "A" seat, where you have both a window and an aisle? Yes, please! Even the B and C seats aren't bad. I really would have liked not to fly United, though. They really suck as an air carrier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Knee Defender™ comes with this bitchin’ form letter:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're already banned by most airlines.

I come naturally equipped with two devices that keep the person in front of me from reclining, for that matter I can't even get the tray table horizontal. I don't see how the airline is going to ban my knees. Sounds stressful!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Aerial refuelling can be scary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQDA6MKvkM
:stare:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

xaarman posted:

I really have no idea what you're actually saying.

Important airplane stuff. Maximum and minimum performance numbers and limits usually aren't pulled out of a designers derriere. Though, it seems, the smaller and slower the airplane, the more likely they are just "uh.. those look right."

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Nope, the V-280 is just as ugly as you all think it is, official render or not.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I may bet talking out my rear end, but doesn't the boom usually hang out far enough that if the AWACS did continue it would (narrowly) miss the tail of the KC as long as the AWACS didn't speed up/KC slow down? I mean, yeah, aerial refueling can be dangerous, but there is some risk mitigation.