Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 405 days!
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I'm the linkbait title

no I'm "wikipediocracy.com"

no actually, nevermind, I'm "The Masked Maggot"

so many choices

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:siren: monkey selfie update :siren:

the us copyright office has ruled that works created by animals or other natural processes cannot be copyrighted; the monkey selfies are public domain and can stay on wikipedia

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
did anyone post this pic of me yet http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_child_sad_that_his_hot_dog_fell_on_the_ground.jpg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

at least it's not linked anywhere meaningful on en.wikipedia.org

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

KOF does their sprites by scanning 3d models

whoa that explains why they look weird but I couldn't really tell what it was exactly :aaa:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freerice

Month Monthly grains of rice donated
January 2013 349,662,210[note 1][note 2][note 3]

Note 1
Freerice's totals seem to have glitched around September 2013. Comparing webarchive.org shots from May and Sept of 2013, the 2010 totals curiously drop from ~13 billion to 9 bil grains; also, closed months in 2013 suddenly increase as well (for example, January 2013 went from 274 mil to 786 mil). Finding it unlikely that billions of grains can be recalled nearly 3 years after they were eaten, I calculate the values here from previous records instead. Recalling how 2010 was the year Free Rice ("1.0") transitioned to Freerice 2.0, the "new" 2010 total seems strangely similar to amounts my records attribute to the original Free Rice. In other words, the new count resembles the result of substracting 2.0 grains from the old 2010 count. While this result came out 19 mil grains higher than recorded for 1.0, that discrepancy may be explained by how the transition on the 7th of October had prevented this Wikipedian from recording "1.0" grains from the first 6 days of that month since initial 2.0 total page seemed to exclude them. (I imagine perhaps Freerice saw that the totals were less than expected but did not know they were missing from 2010, and so fudged the prior months of 2013 to make up for the missing grains?) -CodeHydro

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

"In the view of the WMF, the readers are not reading the articles because we editors have written them in a way that is well appreciated, such that it raises multi million dollars of donations a year. The readers visit them because of the great software that WMF develops. They would read anything, if it was just presented by their great software."

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Possible Dialect / Spelling Variations

Coen, Coigne, Coin, Coinne, Coyn, Coyne, Cuin, Cuinn, Genn, Gennell, Gennett, Gennette, Geuin, Gewin, Ginn, Ginnane, Ginnell, Ginnes, Ginness, Ginnett, Ginnette, Ginney, Ginnis, Ginny, Goen, Goenett, Goens, Goin, Goine, Going, Goins, Goyn, Goyne, Goynes, Guin, Guina, Guinan, Guinane, Guinaugh, Guinaw, Guindollet, Guindon, Guine, Guinea, Guinee, Guineer, Guinegaw, Guinen, Guinere, Guines, Guiness, Guinessey, Guinet, Guinett, Guinette, Guinevan, Guiney, Guinivan, Guinn, Guinnane, Guinne, Guinnee, Guinner, Guinness, Guinnessey, Guinnessy, Guinnip, Guinnup, Guinot, Guint, Guinte, Guintran, Guintrand, Guintrande, Guinup, Guyn, Guyne, Guynee, Guynes, Guyness, Guynetth, Guyney, Guynn, Guynne, Guynup, Gween, Gwen, Gwenn, Gwennap, Gwin, Gwine, Gwinee, Gwinn, Gwinne, Gwinnedd, Gwinnell, Gwinner, Gwinneth, Gwinnett, Gwinney, Gwinnup, Gwinup, Gwthne, Gwyn, Gwyndaf, Gwyne, Gwynedd, Gwyneth, Gwynetha, Gwynette, Gwynllyw, Gwynn, Gwynne, Gwynned, Gwynnedd, Gwynnel, Gwynnell, Gwynneth, Gwynnett, Gwynnette, Gwyntopher, Gynane, Gynn, Gynnane, Gynne, Gynnet, Gynnett, Gynning, LaGuines, LaGuinn, LaGuins, LeGuin, LeQuin, LeQuinn, Mac Ginn, Mac Ginnis, Mac Guin, Mac Guinn, Mac Guyn, Mac Guyne, Mac Guynn, Mac Guynne, Mac Gwine, Mac Gwinn, Mac Gwyn, Mac Gwyne, Mac Gwynn, Mac Gwynne, Mac Queen, Mac Quin, MacGinn, MacGinnis, MacGuin, MacGuinn, MacGuyn, MacGuyne, MacGuynn, MacGuynne, MacGwine, MacGwinn, MacGwyn, MacGwyne, MacGwynn, MacGwynne, MacQueen, MacQuin, MacQuinn, Magennis, Maginn, Maginnes, Maginness, Maginnis, Maginniss, Mc Cuin, Mc Cuine, Mc Cuinn, Mc Ginn, Mc Ginnes, Mc Ginness, Mc Ginnis, Mc Guin, Mc Guine, Mc Guines, Mc Guiness, Mc Guinn, Mc Guinness, Mc Gwin, Mc Gwinn, Mc Queen, McCuin, McCuine, McCuinn, McGinn, McGinnes, McGinness, McGinnis, McGinniss, McGuin, McGuine, McGuines, McGuiness, McGuinn, McGuinness, McGwen, McGwin, McGwinn, McQueen, McQuein, McQuin, McQuinn, Meginnis, Meginniss, O Guiney, O Guinidhe, O Guinye, Ocuin, O'Cuin, Ocuinn, O'Cuinn, Oguin, O'Guin, OGuinan, O'Guinan, O'Guiney, O'Guinidhe, Oguinn, O'Guinn, OGuinness, O'Guinness, O'Guinye, Ogwen, O'Gwen, Ogwin, O'Gwin, Ogwinn, O'Gwinn, Ogwyn, O'Gwyn, Ogwynn, O'Gwynn, Oqueen, O'Queen, O'Quein, Oquin, O'Quin, Oquinn, O'Quinn, Quanne, Queen, Quein, Quent, Quien, Quin, Quinan, Quinane, Quine, Quiner, Quinet, Quinett, Quinette, Quiney, Quini, Quinian, Quinlivan, Quinn, Quinnan, Quinnear, Quinnell, Quinnelly, Quinner, Quinnet, Quinneth, Quinnett, Quinnette, Quinney, Quinni, Quinnie, Quinnivan, Quinniven, Quinnlivan, Quinny, Quint, Quinte, Quiny, Quynne, Qween, Qwen, Seguin, Séguin, Sequin, Séquin, U'Cuinn, UiCuin, Ui'Cuin, UiCuinn, Ui'Cuinn, UiGin, Ui'Gin, UiGinn, Ui'Ginn, U'Quin, U'Quinn, Winn, Winnan, Winne, Winnell, Winnen, Winner, Winnett, Winnette, Winney, Winnie, Winns, Wynn, Wynne, Wynnell, Wynnet, Wynnett, Wynnette, Wynns

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
dsyp

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AsAk-f-p6qc

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

m-

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
qfb

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thank you the music thread, i had no idea that :smugjones: was an actual genre of music

quote:

Interpretations [edit]

Vaporwave has been interpreted as a dystopian critique of capitalism[10] similar to cyberpunk.[11][9] Christian Ward of Stylus.com stated that "vaporwave is a reflection of soulless techno-corporatism."[9] The genre was also described as "ironic and satirical or truly accelerationist" by Adam Harper of Dummy Magazine, who argued that the term "vaporwave" itself is also reminiscent of a passage from Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto, "all that is solid melts into air."[11] Vaporwave musician 情報デスクVIRTUAL, alias of musician Vektroid, described her album 札幌コンテンポラリー as “a brief glimpse into the new possibilities of international communication” and “a parody of American hypercontextualization of e-Asia circa 1995."[12] Another vaporwave artist, inspired by the French Situationist movement, describes his work as a degrading of familiar commercial music in an attempt to reveal the "false promises" of capitalism.[11]

Others see it as the digital age's answer to punk – Liz, co-founder of e-venue SPF420, explained in a feature for Dummy magazine: "Vaporwave, in my opinion, is our current 'punk scene'. The digital rebels. The ones who 'steal' others' music, just to manipulate it and chop it up a bit. That is so loving punk...It's like how punk bands only knew how to play power chords. It's brilliant. Vaporwave isn't lazy, and neither is punk. I think that these two genres of music are parallel: short tracks with messages that are very literal, made with minimal intent (for the most part)."[13]

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

"short tracks with messages that are very literal"

yes water got this plant faded by Virtual- 420 === Anarchy in the U.K.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thank you the music thread, i had no idea that :smugjones: was an actual genre of music

yeah these mind's eye cgi music videos are scathing critiques

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

vaporwave is pretentious as poo poo but it can also be relaxing

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

has anyone told vaporwave likers that it was already possible to listen to Hall & Oates at 85% speed without pretending like it's a new genre

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

on the other hand "e-Asia circa 1995" sounds like my poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

daft punk railroad posted:

has anyone told vaporwave likers that it was already possible to listen to Hall & Oates at 85% speed without pretending like it's a new genre

minus the speed change this was exactly my response to Foals

all my austin hipster buds were acting like it was something new and i was just thinking "yeah i lived through this bit already"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
nothing wrong with that hall and oates is sweet

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jesus Christ, this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_date_(meeting)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
holy poo poo

In America, particularly in the Midwest, the east coast (up to and including Virginia) and Florida a first date is considered any meal that would be part of a normal day. In other words if a man were to fly from Sarasota, Florida to Saint Louis, Missouri to see a woman the first date would start upon meeting at the airport and continue through dinner that night. Regardless of sleeping arrangements the first date would necessarily conclude when the second started upon arrival at brunch the following day. Using this logic if the two ate a total of four meals together over 3 days they would have gone on 4 dates.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

nothing wrong with that hall and oates is sweet

yeah but hall and oates were already hall and oates, we don't need another one just like them but not as good

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

yeah this is the truth

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

calvin and hobbes was the best and really hasnt aged at all

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

drat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

LastInLine posted:

calvin and hobbes was the best and really hasnt aged at all

despite being gone for 19 years now :smith:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensifier

Examples[edit]
so
too
very
really
awful, as in "awful good"
bloody
dead, as in "dead wrong"
dreadfully
extremely
loving
hella (slang)
most, as in "Most Reverend"
precious, as in "precious little"
quite
real, as in "real nice"
remarkably
terribly
moderately
wicked (regional)
bare, as in "bare jokes" (slang)
rather
somewhat
fully
-rear end, as in "a sweet-rear end ride"
super
veritable

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

all calvin & hobbes = 5

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
you fuckers are going to summon lf stymie if you keep this up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

all calvin & hobbes = 5

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

you fuckers are going to summon lf stymie if you keep this up

nah there's an anti stymie incantation, witness :

trains are pretty lame and when you consider their land use requirements, they're not that much more efficient than road vehicles with a solid carpooling system in place

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

trains are pretty lame and when you consider their land use requirements, they're not that much more efficient than road vehicles with a solid carpooling system in place

and grains are poison, inshallah

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

nah, carpooling is however a vital adjunct to true transit infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm all for carpooling but i like to masturbate on the way to work and that makes other people uncomfortable. that's why i mostly just take the train