Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a way to do both the T-Mobile Pays My ETF thing, and also get signed up for the $30 web plan? It seems mutually exclusive, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The ETF thing is for post-pay accounts only, the 30$ plan is pre-paid.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Is there a way to do both the T-Mobile Pays My ETF thing, and also get signed up for the $30 web plan? It seems mutually exclusive, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

The dork plan predates their current simple choice plans, so it doesn't get simple choice promotions.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

esperantinc posted:

The ETF thing is for post-pay accounts only, the 30$ plan is pre-paid.

Got it. Thanks.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I thought I remembered restarting the phone while the t-mobile sim was in it, and :google: shows other people complaining about the same thing but I'll check it out next time she's around.

Can someone link me to the correct t-mobile APN settings, btw? I found ones on forums that worked, but I wanna make sure they're legit.

quote:

It's literally just 'fast.t-mobile.com'.
All the other stuff is only necessary if you want MMS. Here's the full settings: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
All my group texts in hangouts end up with a message prefix of <subject:nosubject> for all incoming texts. Googling around didn't seem to help, has anyone else fixed this?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Group texts are MMS. MMS messages can have subjects, hence that message.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bisty Q. posted:

All the other stuff is only necessary if you want MMS. Here's the full settings: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

Thanks! :)

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Is there a way to disable visual voicemail permanently? Every time I turn it off, it doesn't stick.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What is visual voicemail? I've always used google voice but my new Windows phone doesn't support it

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Is there a way to disable visual voicemail permanently? Every time I turn it off, it doesn't stick.

My roommate had this with Verizon. It turned out to be an add on on her account, and she was being charged $5 a month for it. Calling Verizon got it removed, as it had to be done on their end.

Maybe you have to do the same with T-Mobile? I've never had it, so I don't know how they handle it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

wormil posted:

What is visual voicemail? I've always used google voice but my new Windows phone doesn't support it

Non-linear, graphical UI for listening to and managing voicemails. It was one of the huge features when the iphone came out, now most smartphones on most carriers support it.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
Ok I'm thinking about making the switch to T-mobile from AT&T. This is prompted by the fact that I am growing to hate my Galaxy S4 and really want the new iPhone when it comes out next month.

I have 14 months left on my current contract and the ETF will be $250.
I have a 10-month old Galaxy S4 in almost perfect condition to trade in.

Am I understanding it correctly that I will get my ETF paid off *and* money for the old phone? Is it worth trading it in, or would I be better off trading in an old iPhone4 instead and selling the Galaxy on SA mart or something?

The deal with the music streaming not counting toward your data sounds good -- but I couldn't find a list of acceptable services. Do streaming radio stations count?

Also, one last question - are the T-mobile phones unlocked? I go to the UK a couple times a year and like to get a SIM to use while I'm there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Stream all the music you want on your phone or tablet from the top music services including Pandora, iHeartRadio, iTunes Radio, Rhapsody, Spotify, Slacker, and Milk Music without using your 4G LTE data. Plus, we’re adding more services all the time, so check back to see if your favorite service is included.
That's the list on the website, though there may be more. No idea.

All T-Mobile phones are unlocked, though they will blacklist them if you don't pay them off.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

All T-Mobile phones are unlocked, though they will blacklist them if you don't pay them off.

No, they are not. Their iPhones are definitely locked.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All my Tmobile phones have been locked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, I thought they were just selling them unlocked now that they don't subsidize.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
I think once you paid it off, you can have it unlocked. That what one of the rep told me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The phone must be service 3 months and you have to have a good reason, which only weeds out people who don't have a legitimate reason or won't lie. Not sure about the ownership thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

electricHyena posted:

Also, one last question - are the T-mobile phones unlocked? I go to the UK a couple times a year and like to get a SIM to use while I'm there.

T-Mo has free international data. It's speed limited but it might not be a bad option.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

T-Mo has free international data. It's speed limited but it might not be a bad option.

Its slow, but free and loving fantastic. I left Verizon earlier this year, they had already cancelled my international data on me.

Its good enough for email and iMessage and slow Facebook and Twitter as long as you are patient.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again

D C posted:

Its slow, but free and loving fantastic. I left Verizon earlier this year, they had already cancelled my international data on me.

Its good enough for email and iMessage and slow Facebook and Twitter as long as you are patient.

Thanks for the replies

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

T-Mobile added more streaming services today. Grooveshark, Black Planet, Radio Paradise, Rdio, Songza, and Accuradio now don't count towards your data cap.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Grooveshark being added is pretty killer. Anyone have experience with those others?

Still hoping Google Play gets added eventually.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nerve posted:

Grooveshark being added is pretty killer. Anyone have experience with those others?

Still hoping Google Play gets added eventually.

Google Play supposed to be by the end of the year

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Burden posted:

T-Mobile added more streaming services today. Grooveshark, Black Planet, Radio Paradise, Rdio, Songza, and Accuradio now don't count towards your data cap.
Google music is still the only one I care about.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Any updates of Tunein?

I'll have to install Grooveshark, they seem to have a Theremin Channel. The theremin is one of the best instruments ever :colbert:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 27, 2014

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

electricHyena posted:

The deal with the music streaming not counting toward your data sounds good -- but I couldn't find a list of acceptable services. Do streaming radio stations count?

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...dio-and-others/

Google Play Music should be added before the end of the year.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Been shopping with the family for a new four line plan for the last week and we are just about ready to pursue the current $100 for 10GB plan. However, I also saw that Sprint had been goaded into a "me too" plan that prompted me to do some research. Sprint was not up to snuff in this case because they required all new phones to be purchased to be validated for the $100 20GB shared plan, and we are trying to stay out of subsidized phones by sticking with the GSM phones we already paid off.

Now, am I correct in my understanding that the T-Mobile plan is $100 base for the four lines with $25 for each line out of contract, and I can use my phone instead of having to buy new ones as I will not be paying any ETF fee? Are there other charges included I am forgetting? Activation fees, sim cards, etc.? (Though the sims seem to be free on the website)

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Been shopping with the family for a new four line plan for the last week and we are just about ready to pursue the current $100 for 10GB plan. However, I also saw that Sprint had been goaded into a "me too" plan that prompted me to do some research. Sprint was not up to snuff in this case because they required all new phones to be purchased to be validated for the $100 20GB shared plan, and we are trying to stay out of subsidized phones by sticking with the GSM phones we already paid off.

Now, am I correct in my understanding that the T-Mobile plan is $100 base for the four lines with $25 for each line out of contract, and I can use my phone instead of having to buy new ones as I will not be paying any ETF fee? Are there other charges included I am forgetting? Activation fees, sim cards, etc.? (Though the sims seem to be free on the website)

You are correct. One thing you should know is that the 10gb plan is not 10 gb forever. January 2nd 2016 the plan goes from 2.5gb per line to 1gb of data per line. If you go to a store to do it, it's 10 per sim to activate. That's it.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Also expect to spend another ~$15-20 on taxes and fees per month, depending on where you live.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
When Google play music gets added to the free streaming thing, do we know if that will be for just people with the premium accounts, or like will I be able to stream my uploaded music too?

I realize this might be an impossible question to answer.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nerve posted:

When Google play music gets added to the free streaming thing, do we know if that will be for just people with the premium accounts, or like will I be able to stream my uploaded music too?

I realize this might be an impossible question to answer.

This is actually a pretty good question. I would imagine it's no different.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Qu Appelle posted:

Any updates of Tunein?

Not speaking from authority, but stuff like TuneIn and police scanners probably aren't feasible for free streaming.

From appearances, the apps serve as front-end directories rather than central (re)hosting for streams, so T-Mobile would have to whitelist thousands of individual radio streams rather than "Pandora" and "gMusic" etc. Try the lower-bitrate alternate streams if you're burning through data.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Looks like T-Mobile is finally giving attention to Cincinnati and the surrounding sea of EDGE. LTE popped up in Cincinnati and my area has "unofficial" 3G. I am quite happy, I would love to ditch AT&T.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

sweart gliwere posted:

Not speaking from authority, but stuff like TuneIn and police scanners probably aren't feasible for free streaming.

From appearances, the apps serve as front-end directories rather than central (re)hosting for streams, so T-Mobile would have to whitelist thousands of individual radio streams rather than "Pandora" and "gMusic" etc. Try the lower-bitrate alternate streams if you're burning through data.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I never thought of that.

I don't burn through tons of data because I rarely use my phone for streaming. Luckily, I Heart Radio has some stations that I like, like the local classical station :wotwot: and NPR :wotwot: :hf: :wotwot: . With that, I find that the police scanner is the only thing I really listen to, so not much data gets burned up.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Is it my device or the network? HTC one m8.

Whenever I fail over from LTE to 4G it takes about 4 minutes for data transfers to resume. The 4G symbol is there but nothing is happening.

Dropping into and out of airplane mode makes it work.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What's the process for upgrading your device on a T-Mobile prepaid plan? Do I just go to a T-Mobile store and hope they have what I want? Do I buy it on my own and bring it to the store? Is there a process to do it online? Will I need a new SIM? Will I be able to keep my $30 100/unlimited/5GB dork plan?

I've never actually gotten a new phone without switching carriers before.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MondayHotDog posted:

What's the process for upgrading your device on a T-Mobile prepaid plan? Do I just go to a T-Mobile store and hope they have what I want? Do I buy it on my own and bring it to the store? Is there a process to do it online? Will I need a new SIM? Will I be able to keep my $30 100/unlimited/5GB dork plan?

I've never actually gotten a new phone without switching carriers before.

Buy your phone and put your SIM into it. If your SIM doesn't fit that new phone you need to purchase a new SIM and call T-Mobile to swap the SIM. You can't move your SIM over online (or at least you couldn't in January this year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Do the prepaid dork plans qualify for free streaming and international data?