Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Door Frame posted:

If you ever wondered what the back of your instrument panel looks like....
http://youtu.be/xtxd27jlZ_g

To be fair, the '59 Chevy was (accidentally) designed to crumple/fold in half in the worst possible way; most cars of that era crash more like modern-ish pickup trucks or cop cars -- you're still hosed, but you won't be crushed by the cab, and you'll take the other guy with you.

Compare the '59 Chevy in the video:

To the '59 Ford:

It's still going to be a bad end for the driver because of the lack of seatbelts,sharp metal dash, and non-breakway steering column, but at least with a Ford (or a Chevy pickup), the other guy gets a framerail in the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I bet you it is still going to crumple in the passenger compartment a lot more than a modern car would - just look at the offset result for the late 90s shape F-150

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Well, yeah, but not quite as hilariously. The ladder frame makes a more presentable corpse than the '59 Chevy X-frame.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Terrible rant stuff. I made the questionable decision to drop off my E36 at Big O Tire for an alignment, mostly because they're 2 blocks from my house. I have new tie rod ends I wanted installed so I brought them with and asked how much to install them. 165 dollars! That's double the cost of the alignment, and since they have to loosen them to do an alignment anyway, they're basically charging 165 to do two freaking bolts. Needless to say I passed on that opportunity.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Saw this today while filling up at Costco's . . .

I can only imagine some stupid rumor started floating around that doing this gives you a bit of free gas or something. Otherwise, it's just like, WHY

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Xy Hapu posted:

Saw this today while filling up at Costco's . . .

I can only imagine some stupid rumor started floating around that doing this gives you a bit of free gas or something. Otherwise, it's just like, WHY

The same reason New Jersey doesn't let people pump their own gas

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sometimes holding it upside down lets you trick the evap mechanism and keep a busted vent valve from creating enough backpressure to shut off the pump.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

5:30 - MOVE THE loving CAR

I got my first experience with the no self serve when visiting my brothers in Oregon a few years ago. Thought it was the dumbest loving thing. Then my fiance started working at a Circle K so I was there a lot. On average she reported at least 2-3 pump-still-in-the-car-kersnap's a week. A WEEK. Plus all the other gas related shenanigans like loving up jerry cans, running into the pumps, driving backwards in the car wash. I saw less retardation when I worked at AutoZone and that was god drat terrifying.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sometimes holding it upside down lets you trick the evap mechanism and keep a busted vent valve from creating enough backpressure to shut off the pump.

Or sometimes you have a gas cap behind a license plate that folds downwards, like early 90s jeeps. Their design means you pretty much have to hold the pump upside down or at a step angle. Someone with an old car like that might not know they don't always shut off correctly in that situation.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

revmoo posted:

Terrible rant stuff. I made the questionable decision to drop off my E36 at Big O Tire for an alignment, mostly because they're 2 blocks from my house. I have new tie rod ends I wanted installed so I brought them with and asked how much to install them. 165 dollars! That's double the cost of the alignment, and since they have to loosen them to do an alignment anyway, they're basically charging 165 to do two freaking bolts. Needless to say I passed on that opportunity.

When I was looking around to get someone to press out my kingpins so I could put lowered disc spindles on the bug, the local shop wanted 90 bucks per to press them out and back in. Harbor Freight only charged 135 for a loving full sized press. Guess which one I spent my money on :)

Seeing the pics of that Chavelle suck. This is why even when I get my bug back on the road, I'll probably never even get near a freeway. At least getting rear ended on side streets should keep the carnage to under 50mph. I miss the days when people that had their head up their rear end and rammed in to the car in front of them didn't get a 2nd chance to do it.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Whatever is in that roof rack seems heavy.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I've pumped gas with the handle upside down more than a few times from having to park on the wrong side of the pump with short hose / tallish car. Didn't know it could be a problem to be honest.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bobbilljim posted:

I've pumped gas with the handle upside down more than a few times from having to park on the wrong side of the pump with short hose / tallish car. Didn't know it could be a problem to be honest.

You know there's a little triangle next to the gas pump icon on your dash that tells you what side of the car your fuel filler door is on, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GutBomb posted:

You know there's a little triangle next to the gas pump icon on your dash that tells you what side of the car your fuel filler door is on, right?

My father's Golf has it on the wrong side!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

GutBomb posted:

you know that other people use the gas station right?

e: also, gently caress off there isn't one on my car, I checked the other day. Not that I need it because I'm not a moron that can't remember which side of the car the filler cap is on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bobbilljim posted:

e: also, gently caress off there isn't one on my car, I checked the other day. Not that I need it because I'm not a moron that can't remember which side of the car the filler cap is on.

How much of a rush can you be in to use a pump from the wrong side of your car? It's too bad a warning label can't smack the pump out of your hand because you're exactly the kind of person it's intended for.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

How much of a rush can you be in to use a pump from the wrong side of your car? It's too bad a warning label can't smack the pump out of your hand because you're exactly the kind of person it's intended for.

I'm not going to argue about this bullshit, its perfectly fine to park on the "wrong" side of the pump. Usually the hoses are easily long enough. That's the last I will say about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bobbilljim posted:

Sorry, in the thousands of times I've pumped gas I've never had a situation where I had to go to a pump on the wrong side. I've gone around and backed in to an empty pump, or waited a minute or two but I've never felt the need to snake a dirty hose across my car.

Edit: content

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 26, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GutBomb posted:

Sorry, in the thousands of times I've pumped gas I've never had a situation where I had to go to a pump on the wrong side. I've gone around and backed in to an empty pump, or waited a minute or two but I've never felt the need to snake a dirty hose across my car.

Naval Base Guam. Sometimes the wait can be 30+ minutes for gas, if you're waiting for a left side access pump. Or you can usually wait two minutes for a right side access, pull up a bit more, and bring the hose around your car.

Also to make it worse is the station could only be accessed from one side, and you couldn't pull through then back up, or be facing the opposite direction.

Situations outside of normal do exist.

That said, I'd love to hear your view on motorcyclists who stay on the bike while fueling.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

That said, I'd love to hear your view on motorcyclists who stay on the bike while fueling.

That sounds like the correct way to do it, honestly. :shrug:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Carteret posted:

If you stand the bike up while you pump you get that little bit more gas in

Mighty tricky on my KTM 690 though

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You guys never turn around and back in when the pump's on the wrong side?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
All this talk of "sided" pumps is just exposing you as a fool that can't reverse, and probably can't parallel park to boot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Shouldn't contribute to derails.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 26, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Gas pump chat: At my Costco there is a sign that says 'long hoses reach both sides, pull up to any open pump'. And they reach, but like just barely, and the tension on the support rope is a little too high. The first time I went I thought that it would be great for my truck which has a filler on both sides, but there's no way that I can get the one on the drivers front fender and reach the one behind the passenger door without some fuckin' muscle.

Having one filler neck on each side of the truck but never seeing a master/slave setup for gasoline is terrible car stuff.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

stop this pictureless derail. clearly in america, land of the free, god bless usa number 1, there's plenty of room to reverse your truck all around the gas pump

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This was pretty much every fill up with my old Subaru.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

bobbilljim posted:

stop this pictureless derail. clearly in america, land of the free, god bless usa number 1, there's plenty of room to reverse your truck all around the gas pump

How do you rent gas?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips posted:

How do you rent gas?

Same way you rent beer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carteret posted:

It is. I don't know of any bikes that are designed to be filled while on the side-stand; it's like trying to fill a bucket to the brim while it's tilted.

I fill up while on the bike, balancing it upright, about two thirds of the time. The rest of the time I put it on the center stand so I can check the oil at the same time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It is. I don't know of any bikes that are designed to be filled while on the side-stand; it's like trying to fill a bucket to the brim while it's tilted.

I fill up while on the bike, balancing it upright, about two thirds of the time. The rest of the time I put it on the center stand so I can check the oil at the same time.

My bike seems designed to fill while on the sidestand, but I ride a bike for hipster shitlords (Triumph Bonneville). The gas cap is off-centered, on the right hand side of the tank.

Also gently caress reaching under my riding pants into my jeans while wearing gloves and trying to hold the bike up. I stand up, toss the gloves on the seat, and get a stretch while I fill.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

My 2012 Honda Shadow has a fill cap on the right of the tank and is the highest point while on sidestand. The 86 Suzuki however, has it centered, so I'm forced to hold it upright while pumping. Either way, I don't understand why people talk about getting off the bike to fill up, everything is right there within reach.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't really do short trips on the bike so if I'm filling up I've probably been on the bike for at least an hour and will take the chance to stretch my legs a bit. It's also easier to flop the tank bag onto the seat instead of holding it against the windshield so center stand it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That one at 2:35 did NOT go the way I was expecting :stare:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm beginning to understand why gas pumps here require you to hang the nozzle thing back up before you can pay.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stare:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

At 1:40, why are there six different gas handles? (89,91,93,E85, diesel?, ??)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

There's a gas station I routinely stop at and routinely use the 'wrong' pump. You're only allowed to drive through one way, and in the miata the hose reaches easily and doesn't touch my paint. :colbert: and in the Subaru, I don't give a gently caress about its paint.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dr.Caligari posted:

At 1:40, why are there six different gas handles? (89,91,93,E85, diesel?, ??)

DEF I am guessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

drat that looked rough. Was it recent?