Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

KOTR in the Ultra Rare tier is practically unwinnable if you grind for cards. The top seeds all have Epic and Legendary cards. I'm assuming their reserve and support cards are Common/Uncommon so their decks qualify for UR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Haha, that sucks. Why do you think they'd rather not get Legendary rewards, though?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

interpunct posted:

KOTR in the Ultra Rare tier is practically unwinnable if you grind for cards. The top seeds all have Epic and Legendary cards. I'm assuming their reserve and support cards are Common/Uncommon so their decks qualify for UR.

I took second in a SR++ KotR and only because the dude who got first charged his energy after I did.

I'm now in a UR KotR and I don't think I'll even qualify. I'm at like 4-10

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Chinook posted:

Haha, that sucks. Why do you think they'd rather not get Legendary rewards, though?

A maxed Pro UR card can beat a maxed Legendary.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

smashpro1 posted:

Now that I'm in the UR+ tier, it would be nice if drawing a Rare didn't reset the table.

do you get something special from clearing the table? Or a certain number of uncommon cards in the table?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Just decided to try out Supercards just now. First card that I get is a rare Santino. I can predict this only going better for me.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Supercard was so fun and addictive, I had to uninstall it four times before I finally kicked the habit. I also had to look up a way to delete my local and cloud data so that my decks were truly gone.

Asterios fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 25, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Just got a rare Tyson Kidd and an uncommon Dolph Ziggler after an exhibition match. I'm pretty happy with this result as Tyson has pretty decent stats.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Supercard booking has told me that a Daniel Bryan managed by Vince McMahon is the golden pathway to money

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

After finally maxing out my team, I start getting a decent influx of UR cards. My maxed out SRs are still better though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Liar Lyre posted:

After finally maxing out my team, I start getting a decent influx of UR cards. My maxed out SRs are still better though.

I've maxed out 3 SR-Pros, and my single UR Macho Man, but I've hit a wall with drawing anything but Charisma Boosts and so on. Of the last 10 "rare" draws, I've gotten 8 useless boosts (already maxed), a rare Titus O'Neill, and some other lovely rare.

It's like the game is telling me "play KOTR now", but I'm one pixel away from UR rank in KOTR.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

2k Press release posted:

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 25, 2014-- 2K today announced the larger-than-life, action-packed collectible card game, WWEŽ SuperCard, was downloaded more than 1.5 million times during its first week of release. With an average rating of 4.5/5 stars on the App Store for iOS devices, as well as 4/5 stars on Google Play, WWE SuperCard has quickly cemented its position as the most successful WWE-branded casual game to have ever been launched by 2K or WWE for mobile devices.

"In less than one week, WWE SuperCard broke 2K's records and became one of the Company's most popular free-to-play games to date," said Chris Snyder, Vice President of Marketing at 2K. "WWE SuperCard is a fun, engaging and addictive game for mobile game enthusiasts, WWE fans and card collectors alike, bringing the larger-than-life action of WWE straight to their mobile devices to engage with at home or on-the-go."

"Surpassing 1.5 million downloads globally for WWE SuperCard in less than one week is truly an incredible accomplishment," said Casey Collins, Executive Vice President, Consumer Products, WWE. "2K's video game expertise combined with WWE's strong brand appeal and passionate fan base set the foundation for a successful mobile application."

WWE SuperCard users have also generated the following statistics across iOS and Android devices:

Logged in to WWE SuperCard for more than 18 million unique sessions;
Spent approximately 14 minutes in an average gameplay session;
Achieved more than 82 million victories in Exhibition Mode;
Commenced more than 575,000 King of the Ring season-based sessions.
WWE SuperCard challenges players to build teams of WWE Superstars, Divas and Legends, train them to their full potential, battle in various match types and test their luck in high stakes tournament action. Featuring more than 400 cards in active play, with each card representing one of seven different rarity levels, WWE SuperCard delivers an extensive array of collectible content with high replay value. In addition, WWE SuperCard enables players to enhance their experience through the purchase of individual card packs.

TL;DR Game is super popular and mored updates will arrive in the future.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
the 3d Fire Pro game (Iron Slam '96) on PS1 is so immensely bad, but, uh, all of the endings involve your guy doing victory poses over Antonio Inoki's dead body. Just Inoki, trying to stand up as his heartbeat quickens, then goes silent as he hits the mat. Then Hulk Hogan flexes.

Fire Pro Wrestling, will you please stop being the "Everybody Dies" wrestling game series. Your friends are starting to worry.

edit: Has nothing on the ending of the Atsushi Onita FMW fighting game, though, where you (Onita, Tarzan, Fuji, or some guy named Sambo Asako) fight Antonio Inoki on the steps of the Diet Building to reveal the secret shadow president of Japan and blow up the Diet upon winning.

LvK fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 25, 2014

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
So I finally caught up to last decade and got a PS2 over the weekend. I know, as pro graps games go, HCTP is a must. What other wrestling games should I seek out?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BlueArmyMan posted:

So I finally caught up to last decade and got a PS2 over the weekend. I know, as pro graps games go, HCTP is a must. What other wrestling games should I seek out?

Def Jam: FFNY for sure. I'm seriously thinking of re-buying a PS2 to play this again.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BlueArmyMan posted:

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BlueArmyMan posted:

Smackdown vs Raw 2006- you can solve the mystery of who ran over Teddy Long or watch Undertaker put Eddie Guerro in a casket months before his death! Also great caw mode and the game still has a lot of moves in it.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
As someone whose last wrestling game was No Mercy, how hard is the change to Yukes controls?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Smackdown vs Raw 2006- you can solve the mystery of who ran over Teddy Long or watch Undertaker put Eddie Guerro in a casket months before his death! Also great caw mode and the game still has a lot of moves in it.

What do you mean months? He died like three days before the game came out.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Well, yeah but the scene was put together months before that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Didn't it also have Davey Boy Smith as a special guest combatant in story mode, like a year after his death

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Last night I played WCW nWo Revenge on 64. Does anyone here like that game? I hated it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

Last night I played WCW nWo Revenge on 64. Does anyone here like that game? I hated it.

A lot of people liked it because it was a good WCW wrestling game.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Skunkrocker posted:

I like(d?) it enough to buy it this past weekend.

When I first played it back in college, I was so excited when I figured out how to do finishers just so I could do the Diamond Cutter on EVERYONE.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't care about card games I just wanna read about how Hogan's hotdog skin will look on the PS4.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

BlueArmyMan posted:

I like(d?) it enough to buy it this past weekend.

When I first played it back in college, I was so excited when I figured out how to do finishers just so I could do the Diamond Cutter on EVERYONE.

We played the poo poo out of that game back in college. Battle Royal was our jam.

Whoever got to be Sting in the middle of it was the luckiest person, 'cause it would cut away from the ring and show him coming down from the rafters. And we'd all yell "OH MY GOD! IT'S STING!"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That game was a blast in Battle Royale. I do miss the tweaks from the WWF sequels though when going back to Revenge.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skunkrocker posted:

Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy are both widely considered the greatest N64 wrestling games because they use the AKI engine which feels really intuitive on the N64 controller. So if you didn't like Revenge which uses the same engine, you're probably going to be relatively alone with that opinion.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

BlueArmyMan posted:

As someone whose last wrestling game was No Mercy, how hard is the change to Yukes controls?
Well just in general, the N64 had a really strange controller, so there's gonna be a learning curve in any case. Yukes games have always been clear descendants of the Smackdown games, so in general the pacing is much faster than No Mercy's more methodical bouts (though not quite as frenetic as the early games). Instead of the weak / strong grapple system you have four different standing grapple positions (differentiated by the right thumbstick), each with 5 possible grappling moves, 1 submission and 1 tie-up strike. When an opponent is picked up after suffering enough damage / kicked in the stomach after the torso's been worked / thrown hard against the turnbuckle, they become dazed and you have the option of 5 stronger grappling moves (powerbombs, piledrivers, etc). Depending on game settings and the charisma stat of the worker, you build up momentum Submissions work in a relatively straightforward way - different moves work different parts of the body and once it goes into the red, they're at the point where a sustained hold will make them tap.

2K14 is probably a good place to start if you wanted to get into the modern games. Not perfect, but it's good, especially at what the current price point probably is.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 26, 2014

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Basic Chunnel posted:

2K14 is probably a good place to start if you wanted to get into the modern games. Not perfect, but it's good, especially at what the current price point probably is.

No interest in the modern games, I was just wondering about adjusting to HCTP. After hearing for so long how it's the best of the PS2 games, I wanted to get an idea what to expect from the controls.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ah, well I think the four grapple positions were implemented after that, so I don't know.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Well just in general, the N64 had a really strange controller, so there's gonna be a learning curve in any case.

When emulating, I never had any trouble mapping N64 games to a Playstation controller. Mapping the directional C buttons to your Right Analog is a really good way to do it, though it can take some getting used to depending on the game. For AKI engine wrestling games the only slightly awkward thing about that is the placement of the run button.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Well, yeah but the scene was put together months before that.
Its funny in a horribly morbid way to do that storyline with Chris Benoit. Then again doesn't 2007 have some eerie storyline Benoit in it?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
All of a sudden my KOTR Supercard team suuuucks. I haven't gone up a level, not sure what happened.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Once you reach a certain level, around Ultra Rare, the drops of good cards become so scarce that you pretty much end up with one or two great cards and others that can't hang at all because you'll never get a second drop to make them Pro.

I've had success at this level by straight up throwing every tag match I get. The computer teams are fairly predictable and will usually waste 1 or 2 of their good cards on a tag match, sometimes they'll even waste a stat boost on it. Much better to just pick your worst 2 cards, lose the tag match on purpose, and then use your good cards to win the individual matches and then win 2 out of 3.

Of course, this strategy kind of requires that you have a good diva card that can always win you those matches. I have a maxed Pro AJ that basically never loses, so this is a sound strategy at the moment until I luck into better cards someday.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah, progression kinda plateaus around the UR++ level, as your ceiling on card power is SR Pro/UR regular, and you gain UR cards slowly enough that you're unlikely to get a pair to Pro up. KoTR seems like the most reliable way to get past that point, but at that tier you'll be fighting against pay2win guys with Epic/Legendary cards. Actually finishing in the top 2 is tough, because your team will be 10 similar power level cards which won't be able to beat a team of 5 epics + 5 commons if the user is managing energy properly.

I'm at this point myself and I've run out of guys to level with fully levelled SR pro's Andre, Big Show, Vince and UR Cena and Naomi. I _could_ level up another andre and batista SR pair.... but that's a lot of xp for something that's only marginally better than my UR Cena/SR pro vince tag team

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I really want to get a Macho Man card. or Demolition cards. Are there Demolition cards?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Steve Vader posted:

I really want to get a Macho Man card. or Demolition cards. Are there Demolition cards?

You can check the Card Catalog at the bottom of the main game screen. I haven't seen those, though.

Questions about KOTR:
Do you simply need a winning record to advance to the tournament in KOTR? So, there's 45 rounds of qualifying. Once my record is 23 and X, I can just put it down for a while, right?

Does your record in qualifying have any impact in your seeding for the tournament? It seems like I've gone in twice with great records, once started against the #2 guy, once against #11 or something... could someone corroborate this? :)

Also, is it possible to move from Super Rare to Ultra Rare DURING the tournament somehow? Either by being right on the cusp and training those cards and bumping the meter, or some other method?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chinook posted:

Questions about KOTR:
Do you simply need a winning record to advance to the tournament in KOTR? So, there's 45 rounds of qualifying. Once my record is 23 and X, I can just put it down for a while, right?

Does your record in qualifying have any impact in your seeding for the tournament? It seems like I've gone in twice with great records, once started against the #2 guy, once against #11 or something... could someone corroborate this? :)

Also, is it possible to move from Super Rare to Ultra Rare DURING the tournament somehow? Either by being right on the cusp and training those cards and bumping the meter, or some other method?

You need to finish top eight. I don't know how tiebreakers are done, probably h2h since you play 3 games against everyone.

Yes, you're seeded based on your rank in the standings.

I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

All the pictures of Bryan in Super Card make him look like a dope. Subtle burial?