Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
B, everyone likes weddings. Nothing breeds team spirit like a good old congregational knees-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think I may need to read some stuff to play. I am familiar with the games, books and movies from the OP, but have no experience with the warhammer genre itself other than a couple of passes at games with Warhammer in the name. What would be a good read?

(That Peake, Lem and Kafka are listed as source texts is a bit daunting in terms of imagined game play. Two of the listed books are notorious for essentially nothing happening for hundreds and hundreds of pages, despite the best efforts of the protagonist.)

My current non-understanding of the vote would be something like:

A) Trial combat and subordination. One group wins, ending this nonsense, and its minimal blood spilled.
Acting consistent with Family

B) Grab a few kids and have them perform a marriage ceremony. Then they can be in the mess of family alliances like everyone else is.

C) Racing machines! We can have the track go through the bowels of the ship, there should be some sweet crashes.
Acting consistent with Tech Priest

D) Walk them to the servitor machines.

Probably getting that wrong. What would be an example of an Inquisition consistent solution or act?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 25, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this helps but here's a big fat wiki

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

And specifically for our character

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Xun posted:

Not sure if this helps but here's a big fat wiki

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

And specifically for our character

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

Thanks. Been looking at the wiki references. I was thinking more along the lines of a novel in the genre. They must exist and it seems likely there would be some not completely remote from our setting or character. Are any of them readable?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sogol posted:

I think I may need to read some stuff to play. I am familiar with the games, books and movies from the OP, but have no experience with the warhammer genre itself other than a couple of passes at games with Warhammer in the name. What would be a good read?

(That Peake, Lem and Kafka are listed as source texts is a bit daunting in terms of imagined game play. Two of the listed books are notorious for essentially nothing happening for hundreds and hundreds of pages, despite the best efforts of the protagonist.)

More for the absurdist world that are complex, static, and/or decaying. War 40k is the place where immense bureaucracies accidentally lose planets . . . or the food shipments to them.

So, this is a big star ship with a quarter million people trapped in decaying ritual and religion, and many can imagine nothing else. Sound familiar? :D

Your job in this game is the find the mutant/xeno/heretic, and light them on fire. Im trying to balance a start that introduces the world nicely (my walls of text about the officer tiers, for example), without getting bogged down or boring. I *do* have several mutant/xeno plots going on in the background right now, and should be bringing them forward as we go.

As always, if its getting boring, please let me know ;)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

Thanks. Been looking at the wiki references. I was thinking more along the lines of a novel in the genre. They must exist and it seems likely there would be some not completely remote from our setting or character. Are any of them readable?

I would go for COMMISSAR CAIPHAS CAIN HERO OF THE IMPERIUM for the absurd, and Eisenhorn for the job of Inquistor. A classic that goes with it is Gaunt's Ghosts, although this game isn't as combat heavy. (The previous CYOA threads were, so Im trying something a bit different)

I also enjoy tvtropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Warhammer40000?from=Main.Warhammer40000

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 25, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B It's time for a weddin' y'all! *plucks thousand year old banjo crafted from xeno bones*

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Sogol posted:

Eisenhorn trilogy wouldn't be bad place to start, actual rulebook and army codexes aren't really worth buying since all the fluff in them has been moved into the wiki. Word of warning tho, all GW stuff has 'special' pricing.

Gaunt's Ghosts has Imperial Guard stuff but in my opinion, the books read like imperial propaganda half of the time. Caiphas Cain books are good and have large variety of both imperial forces and enemies but tend to be bit absurd and humorous.

quote:

That's Imperium of Man for you. :v:
Thing is, Imperium is losing. If they had a breather to rebuild and consolidate forces or if they had less enemies so they could throw everything into stalemating the battlefronts, they could maybe rebuild and reinforce. But they don't and so they are hosed.

And even if they managed to fight off the attacking forces, Emperor is finally dying and with him goes the Astronomican, without which Imperium's ships are hosed.

Stagnation and nothing happening would be preferable outcomes for Inquisition.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Puistokemisti posted:

Eisenhorn trilogy wouldn't be bad place to start, actual rulebook and army codexes aren't really worth buying since all the fluff in them has been moved into the wiki. Word of warning tho, all GW stuff has 'special' pricing.

Gaunt's Ghosts has Imperial Guard stuff but in my opinion, the books read like imperial propaganda half of the time. Caiphas Cain books are good and have large variety of both imperial forces and enemies but tend to be bit absurd and humorous.

That's Imperium of Man for you. :v:
Thing is, Imperium is losing. If they had a breather to rebuild and consolidate forces or if they had less enemies so they could throw everything into stalemating the battlefronts, they could maybe rebuild and reinforce. But they don't and so they are hosed.

And even if they managed to fight off the attacking forces, Emperor is finally dying and with him goes the Astronomican, without which Imperium's ships are hosed.

Stagnation and nothing happening would be preferable outcomes for Inquisition.

Yup, and so I'm trying to give a feel for that stagnation in a ship that's 4,000 years old, with generations of people who have never left. Your personal career may rise over the course of this CYOA (and should, if you live), but in general, everyone stays where they are for centuries.

My goal/hope is that you do seize the Warrant of Trade, maybe become Governor of a couple planets or something, but the galaxy is a dangerous place ;)

edit: if you aren't opposed to fanfics, this is one of my very favorite stories. An Inquisitor goes to Hogwarts, hilarity ensues.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 26, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Slaan posted:

Changing my vote from B to B+C. Marriage death races :megadeth:

B+C for maximum awesome

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Ralith posted:

B+C for maximum awesome

B+C for Thunderdome 40K. Will we be able to place some bets?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AmyL posted:

My original sketch had it wrapping up in one post so you could go back to witch hunting, but you if want I can draw it out for a half dozen or so.

edit: I was also planning to hand out one day's XP after this, but if you want a full tournament we might get a level out of it.

edit edit: Means Ill need some names and games. Don't vote for this bit, but feel free to toss out names or tournament ideas, Ill grab some for the story.

Elder Bluecloak name:
High Technician Redrobe name:
The couple(s) getting married:
Game ideas:

edit x3: and yeah, Im leaning towards some sort of wedding/party/combat, since people seem enthusiastic about the combination.

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 26, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

My current non-understanding of the vote would be something like:

A) Trial combat and subordination. One group wins, ending this nonsense, and its minimal blood spilled.

B) Grab a few kids and have them perform a marriage ceremony. Then they can be in the mess of family alliances like everyone else is.

C) Racing machines! We can have the track go through the bowels of the ship, there should be some sweet crashes.

D) Walk them to the servitor machines.

Probably getting that wrong. What would be an example of an Inquisition consistent solution or act?

The Inquisiton is a galactic organization devoted to orthodoxy and maintaining the Imperium, but there are different schools about it. The big division is Puritan and Radical. Radicals think you can make deals with/use the forces of evil (chaos, mutants, heretics, aliens) to fight the forces of evil. Puritans think thats crazy talk. Occasionally Puritans kill Radicals when they get too far into working with the enemy. At the moment, we don't know what our Inquistior is, although the majority of inquisitors are Puritan.

The Family won't care particularly much about methods as long as you get the job done. You could kill a few thousand people and they wouldn't really notice, as long as the guns still worked at the end of your genocidal mayhem. Succeeding will get you positive attention, failing will get you negative attention, but its determined by end results, not body count of friendlies.

The head tech-priest, the Magos, would love some new servitors (cyborg slave things), but is otherwise neutral to you. The thread may develop a relationship with him, or they may bypass that for now.

Other factions on the ship that you might cultivate might be groups within the Family, the criminal syndicates, any mutants or xenos that exist, the gun batteries (new or old tribes), or other things that haven't been mapped out yet. As this happens, Ill have recurring characters you can call on to do things for you/give you information. IE, turning this battery into servitors means they couldn't support you again, but several other groups might like the results.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
As a note, puritans are also dumb and delusional and unwilling to what's necessary to protect the Imperium.

For a more game related not,e we should go with option D, if for no other reason than to make a good impression on the magos.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Waci posted:

As a note, puritans are also dumb and delusional and unwilling to what's necessary to protect the Imperium.

For a more game related not,e we should go with option D, if for no other reason than to make a good impression on the magos.

The Magos isn't EXPECTING us to bring him dudes. That can always happen later.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

FireSight posted:

The Magos isn't EXPECTING us to bring him dudes. That can always happen later.

Exactly why we should do it now. There's a difference between giving someone a bunch of servitor material as a token of respect for a senior colleague and giving someone a bunch of servitor material because they're our boss and told us to.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And let's not forget: the Inquisition is watching.
Let's impress by resolving this in the quickest, least resource wasting manner (men are so plentiful they don't count).

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
B + C - Marriage to the death!

Winners decide brides/husbands.

Redly
Aug 17, 2014

Meep! ^_^

AmyL posted:

B + C is clearly the superior option.
Throw a gigantic party with baby-making and marriages and races and all sorts of fun times.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's get these space hillbillies drunk!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Plan sounds good to me

As far as recommended reading, the Cain, Eisenhorn, and Gaunt books are all good angles on the Imperium in general, the Inquisition, and the Imperial Guard respectively. However, for stuff about the Adeptus Mechanicus to which we belong, I'd recommend Titanicus by Dan Abnett. You get a lot of good AdMech stuff in there. For starship stuff, the two novels by Gordon Rennie Execution Hour and Shadow Point get you decent shipboard life angle albeit from a military vessel rather than a trader one like ours. Finally, the three Shira Calpurnia novels by Matthew Farrer are good for a more civilian rather military point of view as the main character in all three is a member of the Adeptus Arbites (space cop). The second book in particular, Legacy is useful as it deal with a succession crisis in a Rogue Trader family just like ours.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
For more in-depth advice on 40K novels, go here. What you need to know to get started is in the thread title.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Go with B

Also, as far as updates go, I'm generally more passive so I'm OK with more frequent updates at the cost of potentially skipping the chance to vote. I'm here for the story, not to sperg.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Volmarias posted:

Also, as far as updates go, I'm generally more passive so I'm OK with more frequent updates at the cost of potentially skipping the chance to vote. I'm here for the story, not to sperg.

Same as. I love this universe and I'm liking how you're writing it so far. Its pretty awesome.

I'd like to vote B + C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Thank you everyone for the kind words. :) Im rather pleased with this one. :black101:

The Great Space Race . . . Place.

Heres the thing about Space Hulks that most people don’t understand. Oh, sure, any school child knows the definition of Space Hulk, “a bunch of ships smashed together,” but most people don’t have an appreciation of what that means. Even in a ship built by itself, you have your hidden alcoves, your forgotten passageways, your niches where the walls didn’t quite connect. A few centuries of renovations, repairs, add-ons, add-offs, doctrinal changes, and soon even the original designer can’t find the bridge.

With Space Hulks, its even worse.

A Space Hulk might have a dozen or two dozen or even three dozen ships smashed together without rhyme, reason, or purpose. Many of them might not even be Imperial - you might be walking down a corridor and find yourself in an Elder library, for example. If humans have been on a Space Hulk for a while, people adapt to the new terrain, and suddenly you have a market in a former luxury cruiser with no one the wiser.

What that misses, though, is the places between.

All those ships? They aren’t smashed together neatly, they have gaps hundreds of meters apart where the void used to be. They might be filled with debris, old weapons, have exploded ordinance, toxic gases, the jelly of a crushed regiment of troops, forgotten ecospheres, or spasmodic machines toiling to forgotten purposes. 98% of of the people who live on the Beast of TrallTraal never enter these corridors, never even know they are there. For the most part, they are the terrain of the Clans of the Holy Batteries, who have engage in internecine warfare for generations.

Even they hold to certain designated paths, official routes, tribal secrets, holy grounds, and the like. Exploring too far can result in random explosions, radiation, exposure to space, or a sudden encounter of the fourth kind. The known places are expanded slowly, year after year, at a cautious pace, and the wars are kept to those places, wrapped around the central spine of The Grateful Burden with no one the wiser. The raiding really only stops when the Lord-Sire directs the batteries to attack the outside, and even then the Clans aren’t really clear on the purpose of what they do.

All of this brings us to the race track.

You see, given enough time, basic routes can and have been laid all through the in-between places, bypassing rubble and debris. It is the “main road” as much as anything can be, nearly three kilometers of twisting, rolling terrain that curls all through and around the central corridors of the Beast of TrallTraal. It is not a safe route, and even Clanspeople who have spent decades on it can still be surprised by the radiation bursts, promethium flares, shifts in terrain, megafauna, and shifts in gravity.

The road isn’t one solid surface, you see.

It leaps from one hull to another, relying on flickering artificial gravities, dodging threats that can kill instantly, and all the while suffering through rapid terrain changes as the Beast of TrallTraal engages in it’s day to day affairs. The vast majority of people on the Beast of TrallTraal don’t know of this secret world, nor will they ever, but your compelling words to the leaders of both factions has invited you here, to this place. The Great Road.

Thousands of people are filling the in-between places now, settling into amiable disagreements on where the best places might be, or discussing previous crashes or mistakes when the terrain shifted dramatically and without explanation. One time, hilariously, an old void shield flickered on right as someone was heading through it at more than 200 kilometers an hour. Their remains ended up spread along nearly the entire length of the track, even if it was Mobius shaped.

On one side of the track, the Blue team. They know this road like the know their own lives - it is their world outside the village and their individual gun battery. Their device is an ad-hoc mix of Machine-Spirit and enthusiasm. On the other side, the Red team. They are from a Forge world dedicated to racing, and their machine is cutting edge, built like a razor in flames. However, they have only walked this track once.

Who are you betting on?

A. Blue Team. They know this place, and any advantage Red has will be negated by unfamiliar terrain.

B. Red Team. Tech overcomes all. Knowing the route is nice, but won’t help you when the Machine-Spirit needs consoling.

C. Always bet on yourself. You’ve strapped some leather to a servitor and are ready to go.

D. No one makes it to the finish line. However, the wedding will be quite nice.

E. Something else.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Oh man, oh man. C.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C Can't wait to see what happens next.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

C is clearly the right answer

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
:roflolmao: C

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh, so it's one of THESE kinds of CYOAs.

.....voting C

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
hold all butts

C

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am going to have to look around for copies of Eisenhorn locally. No ebook and listed on Amazon for $150 of something new and $50 used.

Oh!

C, even though I've no real idea what that means.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 26, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sogol posted:

I am going to have to look around for copies of Eisenhorn locally. No ebook and listed on Amazon for $150 of something new and $50 used.

Oh!

It appears to mean we're riding a lobotomized slave in a race that other people are bringing cars to. I'm not exactly sanguine of our success unless the other teams crash and we tortoise and hare them or something. Besides, someone here needs to stand up for the Machine God.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

Oh!

Servitors are zombie cyborgs. You are going to be riding a half terminator half vegetable and hoping it goes faster.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Sogol posted:

Oh!

Try a library. If you're in the US you can usually ILL the book from somewhere.

Are Servitors ever vehicles? Do they makes ones with tracks, or jets?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tracks are yes, jets if you put them on are a probably.

Ralith posted:

I wouldn't underrate the value of overclocked robo-feet compared to traditional vehicle propulsion in treacherous terrain.
Can we name it "The Luggage"?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 26, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I wouldn't underrate the value of overclocked robo-feet compared to traditional vehicle propulsion in treacherous terrain.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wentley posted:

Try a library. If you're in the US you can usually ILL the book from somewhere.

Are Servitors ever vehicles? Do they makes ones with tracks, or jets?

I haven't decided on tracks, jets, wings, 2 legs, 4 legs, 8 legs, or wheels. Probably some hideous combination of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

C

We are a tech-priest, trained on the same Forge World as the hivers. Clearly we know how to add repulsors and suspensors to our servitor, making it a half-living pod racer.