Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Something like this should work. (if you're using the camping green cylinders).

http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-194-B-Stansport-Propane-Cylinder/dp/B001DC7FPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CrazyLittle posted:

It's for when you're done burning stuff and need to put down the very very hot torch cone on a table without it falling over.
Got it. Seems sort of overengineered but I can't think of a much better solution.

The ideal probably would have been to angle the top differently so that it would be balanced while standing straight-up, but I don't know what sort of considerations had to be made so it might not have been possible.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

No Wave posted:

Got it. Seems sort of overengineered but I can't think of a much better solution.

The ideal probably would have been to angle the top differently so that it would be balanced while standing straight-up, but I don't know what sort of considerations had to be made so it might not have been possible.

If you're using a narrow tank, it's going to be top-heavy no matter what. It's the same reason those Coleman feet exist for camp lanterns, even though lanterns are basically symmetrical.

Narrow tanks are kind of wobbly with nothing attached.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think I'll take the low-tech approach and simply rest the head on a plate.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Since any kind of torching inside sets off the smoke detectors, I will do it outside and just set the thing on the concrete slab that is our patio. Concrete gives no fucks if the searzall is a few thousand degrees.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
If anyone's thinking of grabbing an Anova One, there's $50 off using 'TAKE50' at the checkout until 5th September.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

If anyone's thinking of grabbing an Anova One, there's $50 off using 'TAKE50' at the checkout until 5th September.

Who is awesome? You're awesome.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

And of course now that the Anova Precision Cooker kickstarter is pretty much done they launch a new one for The WiFi model. Anyone want two precision cookers?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I got an e-mail with the same code, even though I bought my Anova back in November. They must really want to get rid of their stock of the first model.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

And of course now that the Anova Precision Cooker kickstarter is pretty much done they launch a new one for The WiFi model. Anyone want two precision cookers?

Link? I went looking and only see the one the just finished still.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Link? I went looking and only see the one the just finished still.

I was either drunk, dreaming, or thinking of the Nomiku WiFi. I swear I saw something via the kickstarter app a few nights ago though. I am now questioning my perception of reality since it was so very real.

Yeah, Nomiku must look like Anova when you've had a few cocktails. I wasn't posting drunk or anything, but was looking at kickstarter. Come to think of it, that explains a whole lot....

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There definitely is one. I saw a (kind of lame) article based on a press demo about it coming out "soon". I presume everyone else will beat them to market again, but it is good to have competition in this arena.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Thats pretty tempting. I was just looking at a Souse Vide Supreme Demi referb for $150. Does anyone have an opinion on the SVS Demi? I've borrowed my sisters Avona before but having something the size of a rice cooker I keep on the counter is pretty appealing.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Sacred Cow posted:

Thats pretty tempting. I was just looking at a Souse Vide Supreme Demi referb for $150. Does anyone have an opinion on the SVS Demi? I've borrowed my sisters Avona before but having something the size of a rice cooker I keep on the counter is pretty appealing.
I had a SVS demi until I got the Anova. An immersion circulator style sous vide machine like the Anova is an improvement over the "water oven" style machine like the SVSd. The SVSd does not circulate the water.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sacred Cow posted:

I have a Demi and I'll eventually get an Anova or a similar circulator. It's not that the Demi is bad, it's just that the circulators are almost always better. Only reason I have a Demi is because at the time the cheapest comparable circulator was like $250 more. More reasons for circulator over Demi:

1. Demi isn't really that small, it takes up about as much space as my stand mixer.
2. Possible corrosion issue of the bottom removable grill (Though I have yet to encounter this)
3. The circulators, at least the Anova, are much more consistent in their temperature control. Anova is +/- 0.01, Demi is -2.4.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
With the new Anova coming soon, I've been window-shopping cambros and I got a couple questions.

Polycarbonate has BPA, but as long as my food is in airtight bags that are BPA-free I should be fine, right?

Will double-walling my cambro (putting one cambro inside another) have any meaningful benefit to insulation, or is that being fussy for no good reason?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Steve Yun posted:

With the new Anova coming soon, I've been window-shopping cambros and I got a couple questions.

Polycarbonate has BPA, but as long as my food is in airtight bags that are BPA-free I should be fine, right?

Will double-walling my cambro (putting one cambro inside another) have any meaningful benefit to insulation, or is that being fussy for no good reason?

If you want insulation, just buy a cooler. It works incredibly well and it's way cheaper than buying two cambros.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But I want to see my little steaks swimming around like a fishtank

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The SVS Demi is a pile of poo poo. It was fine when the only other option was a $700 Polyscience unit, but that's not the case any more.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

.Z. posted:

I have a Demi and I'll eventually get an Anova or a similar circulator. It's not that the Demi is bad, it's just that the circulators are almost always better. Only reason I have a Demi is because at the time the cheapest comparable circulator was like $250 more. More reasons for circulator over Demi:

1. Demi isn't really that small, it takes up about as much space as my stand mixer.
2. Possible corrosion issue of the bottom removable grill (Though I have yet to encounter this)
3. The circulators, at least the Anova, are much more consistent in their temperature control. Anova is +/- 0.01, Demi is -2.4.

Thanks for the breakdown. Turns out my sister was part of the last Anova Kickstarter and bought 2 so she selling one to me for pretty cheap. I can wait until October which should be enough time to talk my wife into the idea.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If anyone in the Bay Area wants my corroded SVS Demi I'll meet you somewhere to get it out of my house.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is it functional, just ugly/corroded?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

.Z. posted:

Leaving aside the corrosion issues some people seem to encounter, I see the major drawback to the SVS over an IC is that you're stuck with a single reservoir size. While an IC might have better temperature stability, I seriously doubt anyone buying babby's first puddle machine is going to be doing anything where the difference will matter.

The main advantage that I can see to the SVS design is that it has no moving parts. I don't know where the different IC manufacturers are sourcing their pumps, but in a commercial application a fluid pump is one of those things that you expect to go tits up before any other part of the device (mod gaskets and so on). And I don't think any of the new low end ICs have been out there long enough to know what their service life is going to look like.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At least the Anova "pump" is pretty simple. No critical seals to wear or anything. It's just a propeller on a long shaft.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I bought the original full-size svs (which has no corrosion issues) right when it came out and it's fine, but the temperature control is worse than an IC and it's just so huge an inconvenient to have around all the time.

I'm going to replace it with an Anova (probably) soon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Is it functional, just ugly/corroded?

It's not even that ugly, aside from the metal insert that's supposed to be a heat spreader.

It works as well as any SVS.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I messaged you, I got some people who would like to take it off your hands

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Did you order 6 of them?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tests show that searing all 6 sides of a cube of beef simultaneously will minimize the extent to which the increasing temperature penetrates to the interior.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows that beef spheres cook more evenly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hence the Italian legend of a man who, when a duke challenged him on his claim to be the best chef in the country, proved it by freehand carving a perfect sphere of beef.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hence the Italian legend of a man who, when a duke challenged him on his claim to be the best chef in the country, proved it by freehand carving a perfect sphere of beef.

They have this beef sphere on display in the Italian Museum. My cousin saw it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am going to set off all of the smoke detectors. Every single goddamned one of them.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you order 6 of them?

No no, links to David Chang. I ordered one but no idea when it's coming.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Don't worry, they'll be delayed again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Don't worry, they'll be delayed again.

I'm sure they will all be banned for reason of being a fire hazard.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just bit the bullet on an Anova. They have a current campaign going on Facebook, the code is for $50 off the One. $150 (plus $70 freight to australia the c*nts!) for one. I wanted blue but black was the only choice. Getting p keen to try it out.

Does anyone who owns an Anova have any great tips or tricks?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Okay, I'm not just setting off all my smoke detectors, but my neighbors' too.