Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

venutolo posted:

I ate at The General Muir tonight (shut up, mindphlux), and asked the chef when his two places at Krog Street Market (Fred's Meat & Bread, Yalla) might open. Mid-October is the latest word. I'm very excited as I've had a number of the preview dishes they've been serving at The General Muir, and have enjoyed them.

Zagat just posted their 30 Under 30 list and two people I know are on the list: Kathryn Fitzgerald (The General Muir) and Jarret Steiber (Eat Me Speak Me). I'm very happy for them. Landrobot's friend, Daniel Peach of Chai Pani, is also on the list.

I was just hanging out with Daniel last night actually! I sent him the link, thanks for posting it. He didn't mention it either, so he may not even know yet. They're opening another, even more casual spot, at the Ponce City Market next year too.

Speaking of The General Muir, I'm going on Saturday evening with my Israeli friends that haven't been there yet. So exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Happened across an old Ugly Burger menu and it made me laugh:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey now, you'd be proud. I keep on telling Katrina 'hey we should go to the general muir this weekend, I'm really ready to give it another chance'. :unsmith:

haven't made it yet though for whatever reason :smith:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Don't go. You won't like it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Tatsuta Age posted:

Dude, do I know you? I feel like I recognize your username and I'm also an Inman Park goon.

Maybe? I'm over near Ammazza and am usually out and about somewhere in the city.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Don't go. You won't like it.

:(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

It's true. If it doesn't really do it for you, and it doesn't appear to, don't try to force it and be disappointed when it doesn't. You've been there, it wasn't your thing, and nothing has changed.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

It's true. If it doesn't really do it for you, and it doesn't appear to, don't try to force it and be disappointed when it doesn't. You've been there, it wasn't your thing, and nothing has changed.

mmaybe ive changed ;;; :(

anyways all I had was a sandwich, I should give their other stuff a go.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

mmaybe ive changed ;;; :(

anyways all I had was a sandwich, I should give their other stuff a go.

It's really good, as we're going back tonight. My only disappointment is, 100% of the dinner menu hasn't appeared to change one bit, unless they have specials going? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Either way, we should do a Yalla goon dinner meet after they open. Would be fun!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

It's really good, as we're going back tonight. My only disappointment is, 100% of the dinner menu hasn't appeared to change one bit, unless they have specials going? Please tell me I'm wrong.

If I recall correctly, Monday nights the special is a appetizing platter. Tuesday nights are the Yalla preview. Wednesdays are the Fred's Meat and Bread preview. Thursday are brisket. Fridays are fried chicken. I'm not sure what Saturday is now. It used to be prime rib, and before that crab Reuben. The fried chicken is generally a different preparation each week to week. I've had the brisket a few times and it was different each time.

Outside of those entree specials, the rest of the entrees don't change very regularly (ie expect a trout dish, hanger steak, burger, and lentil dish). The fish seems to change a bit more regularly. These days there will be a hanger steak on the menu and the preparation won't change much week to week, but there was no steak on the menu six months ago, so I'd think the entrees change along a greater timescale than weekly.

The small plates will change regularly. There will be some stuff that is on there every time, like the chicken liver and deviled eggs, but the rest of it rotates fairly regularly. An item like the Swiss chard fritters will go on and off the menu regularly and has been in the rotation for a long time, but then there will be stuff like various peach plates and beet plates that will appear seasonally. I eat there a lot, and there will be something I've never had on the small plates list almost every time.

I ate at Craft Izakaya tonight. Overall, I liked it. I didn't enjoy the cooked Japanese dishes as much as I enjoyed my sushi, but that is entirely in line with my experience with Japanese food (I just loving love me some nigiri). When I was there, I thought it was a bit expensive, but then when my bill came out, it was less than I expected. The chef gave me some extra stuff because "he liked the way I ordered".

I took some photos of the Krog Street Market while I was there. The first five are basically from doing a 360 in one spot, and the final picture is one taken from around the corner of the construction in the fifth picture.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Got to hit up Wrecking Bar again tonight; had the beer cheese soup again (still great, though this time there wasn't any bread with it at all; beer cheese soup really needs some good chewy bread with it... :( ), then had the pork'n'beans for an entree, which was an awesome dish with a few links of an amazing spicy pork sausage on some really good beans, with a spicy BBQ sauce that was full of bacon and pork bits and some excellent sauerkraut. Also got there early enough to have time for dessert, so I had the eponymous Wrecking Bar, sort of a crispy hazelnut thing with a layer of chocolate on top; it was delicious, though afterwards I was pretty drat stuffed after eating the whole thing on top of all that other food ( :btroll: ). My brother had the burger and thought it was really good as well, though like the pork sandwich I had last time, the bun couldn't sustain its structural integrity and it ended up being pretty messy by the time he was done. We also had some good beers as usual. Good stuff!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

If I recall correctly, Monday nights the special is a appetizing platter. Tuesday nights are the Yalla preview. Wednesdays are the Fred's Meat and Bread preview. Thursday are brisket. Fridays are fried chicken. I'm not sure what Saturday is now. It used to be prime rib, and before that crab Reuben. The fried chicken is generally a different preparation each week to week. I've had the brisket a few times and it was different each time.

I take my comment back. The menu was at least 60% different than last time :waycool:

The food was outstandingly awesome!!! Just go already Mindphlux! Last night was one of the best meal experiences I've ever had in Atlanta. It's not normally the kind of food I pine for, but it all just hit the sport perfectly. Everything is made from scratch, as much as possible they said, so no Sysco here! The food, as a result, really shines above and beyond many other ATL establishments. Like, I'd go back Tuesday for the preview night...

Our server mentioned that Yalla will be open in October. Previous dates of September have been pushed back. Food will be more Israeli / middle eastern style (Lebanese, Jordan, etc...), and less NYC eastern European Jewish Deli style.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
What did you have?

To give more concrete examples of what I mentioned about how various things change on the menu, here's last night's menu:

From the small plates, here's where the various items fall:

Always on the menu: matzoh ball soup, chopped liver, poutine, deviled eggs
Often on the menu, but not always: Swiss chard fritters
Items I've never seen: okra, beets, tomatoes & eggplant, peaches, beans (certainly items with these main ingredients have been on the menu, but these particular preparations I've not seen before)

For the main plates:

Always on the menu in the last few months with the same preparation : hanger steak, lentils, burger (the hanger steak is a relatively new item on this list)
Always on the menu, but preparation changes regularly: trout
Never seen before: loupe de mer (Saturday night's special is "chef's choice" and changes every week)

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

What did you have?

We had - Apps: matzo soup, tomatoes, fritters, and the Rattlesnake bean thing which was loving awesome. Seriously. We're going back this week based on how good it all was. Tuesday is Yalla preview, right? I'm intrigued (but I may be working late, we'll see). Entrees: Hangar Steak, lentils, and the loup de mer - all of which were excellent. The fish was whole, so it's for the adventurous to try. My Israeli friend totally cleaned his down to the bone, while mine was not so suavely executed. Dessert and coffee both excellent as well. And plenty of cocktails, which Venutolo is totally missing out on. The Mezcal and cognac concoction was brutally delicious.

Did you go last night too?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

I was there Sunday for brunch (as I am every week) and asked to see Saturday night's dinner menu.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Anyone know what's happening to Illegal Food now that they're out at Joystick? Not to bring back burger-chat, but I really enjoyed the few I had there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

Anyone know what's happening to Illegal Food now that they're out at Joystick? Not to bring back burger-chat, but I really enjoyed the few I had there.

Sounds like it's going to be Bad Dog Taqueria.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

~~~~~~if only it were ford fry.... ~~~~~~~~~~

I forgot, what's your feud with him?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

They're looking for a new place - somewhere around Atlanta. Not sure if they're gonna settle down in the Old Fourth Ward or not.

Good riddance, I say. Great burger, but not worth the negatives that it brought to the kitchen.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

Good riddance, I say. Great burger, but not worth the negatives that it brought to the kitchen.

Care to elaborate? What negatives did it bring?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone told me about a really good mexican ice cream place on Buford that has unique flavors and such. I can't remember the name though. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Megasabin posted:

Someone told me about a really good mexican ice cream place on Buford that has unique flavors and such. I can't remember the name though. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

That's not Basket Rabbit was it? Just kidding, I think that place closed down, but it always made me laugh when I drove by it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

I forgot, what's your feud with him?

boring food, hugely expensive for what it is, overly trendy with buckhead set, serial-restaurant-opener, horrible horrible service everywhere I've gone.

I don't mind most of the above, but consistently horrible service when you're paying very good money for food just means you're an rear end in a top hat.

I'm talking like, multiple times I've been in ford fry restaurants, I've been either directly insulted by the hostess, had to wait an hour+ for a table I made a reservation for weeks in advance, was comp'd jack poo poo for waiting, food was mediocre, service even after being seated is consistently terrible, etc, etc.

he's just a money printing machine. he figured out a formula that works in Atlanta (unapologetically overbooking, serving boring food just trendy enough to gauge prices) and is connected to the right people, and so a lot of atlantanites flock to his places to see and be seen. the focus is not on the food or service, it's entirely on something else entirely. I don't know what that something else is, but gently caress ford fry.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Can we talk about service?

It seems like most restaurants in Atlanta either don't care about or are simply incapable of providing good service. Most places I've been in the last ~year since I moved back here have provided service passable at best and insulting at worst. I've never had a meal with a larger disconnect between the quality of the food and the service as I did at Better Half...starting with my girlfriend being served a meat dish after ordering the veggie tasting menu, wine pairings and dishes not being explained, to a borderline rude response from the gm after responding to an email asking for comments on our meal. There seems to be a level of service that was standard in Chicago whether I was spending $50 or $300, poo poo was on point 99% of the time. I'm sure there are plenty of
places that provide good service but I guess I'm commenting on a general vibe I get from a lot of places where all the focus seems to be on the food and not the overall experience.

Are my expectations too high?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
That was my impression of people who talk about goig to Fry restaurants, once I translated their gushing into reality. I've yet to actually go to one myself, yet.

On the subject of service, I don't have a lot to compare it to as I basically never eat out. But it seems like when I've gone to a place like Bistro Niko or Bones with my parents, service has been pretty good. Though in the former that might only be because my parents have known the Niko folks for decades; they were regulars at Pano's and Paul's. As for Bones, I've only been there once so I don't have much basis for that conclusion.

Although I was pretty young, I remember Pano's and Paul's having really great service.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zenzirouj posted:

But it seems like when I've gone to a place like Bistro Niko or Bones with my parents, service has been pretty good. Though in the former that might only be because my parents have known the Niko folks for decades; they were regulars at Pano's and Paul's.

Bistro Niko's service has been good the few times I've been there, and I'm certainly no regular. Veni Vidi Vici and Atmosphere have always been good as well. That's about it for me and fancy - these days I just walk to Vine and Tap and then stagger home.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Care to elaborate? What negatives did it bring?

Just a rumor from sources, but the separation stemmed from the owner of Illegal Food berating Joystick employees at close range using a megaphone in front of customers.

From the interactions I've had with Steven, it seems like a likely scenario. And, according to what I heard, this wasn't an isolated incident.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

... the owner of Illegal Food berating Joystick employees at close range using a megaphone in front of customers.

Wow. gently caress them.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty decent first look at Southbound: http://clatl.com/atlanta/first-look-southbound/Content?oid=12051616

Having been there a few times, I like it. I love the interior. In my experiences there is some roughness to be smoothed out, but I like what they are doing. I'm very happy to have it near enough to where I work that I can go there for a long lunch.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

confonnit posted:

Can we talk about service?

It seems like most restaurants in Atlanta either don't care about or are simply incapable of providing good service. Most places I've been in the last ~year since I moved back here have provided service passable at best and insulting at worst. I've never had a meal with a larger disconnect between the quality of the food and the service as I did at Better Half...starting with my girlfriend being served a meat dish after ordering the veggie tasting menu, wine pairings and dishes not being explained, to a borderline rude response from the gm after responding to an email asking for comments on our meal. There seems to be a level of service that was standard in Chicago whether I was spending $50 or $300, poo poo was on point 99% of the time. I'm sure there are plenty of
places that provide good service but I guess I'm commenting on a general vibe I get from a lot of places where all the focus seems to be on the food and not the overall experience.

Are my expectations too high?

no, your expectations are not at all unreasonable. I had some of the worst service Ive ever had at better half, so I'm not surprised by your report.

there are lots of great restaurants, you just have to suss them out.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Where's everyone going to eat this weekend?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Landrobot posted:

Mostly at my apartment. I am trying to dine out less so I can afford to go back to Prague in early December.

That and I just paid my car payment, insurance, and a rather hefty electric bill.

Hopefully my trip will go better than Mindphlux's did when he went in winter.

antisodachrist fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 29, 2014

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

antisodachrist posted:

Mostly at my apartment. I am trying to dine out less so I can afford to go back to Prague in early December.

That and I just paid my car payment, insurance, and a rather hefty electric bill.

Hopefully my trip will go better than Mindphlux's did when he went in winter.

The Yelp reviews of antisodachrist's apartment are mixed but Urbanspoon seems to like it. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend too.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Bellwood Social House and Moonie's Texas Barbecue.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ate at the pig and the pearl this weekend.

can't say it was good, but it wasn't bad either. Oysters were so hilariously overpriced I couldn't even bring myself to order seafood. They had a seafood tower that was $55, that included like 6 oysters, 2 clams, 4 shrimp, 4 crab claws, and 4 mussels. or something like that.

I was pretty taken aback at that, so I asked the server if it was literally 'two clams' and he just looked at me like I was crazy and was like ..... yeah. ok dude, sorry if asking about two clams that probably cost around 25 cents at-cost were literally all that would come with my $55 "seafood" "tower".

we had some apps which were ok, and a half smoked duck which was tasty, but almost impossible to eat. very much so not-falling-off-the-bone. but, again, very well seasoned and tasty.

the space was well designed, and service OK, so it's worth a go. we got out relatively cheaply, I think spent about 85 after tip with a couple drinks, so not completely over the top for the area.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I'm going to St. Cecilia tonight. I know it's a Ford Fry restaurant, so let's see how this goes. I'm not a big fan of his, but the place is near my house, along with the menu looking promising. We could careless about the 'Buckhead scene' as I can't stand 'large loud buckheady restaurants', but maybe this will be different. I'm here for the food and cocktails :catdrugs:

Has anyone been before?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I'm going to St. Cecilia tonight. I know it's a Ford Fry restaurant, so let's see how this goes. I'm not a big fan of his, but the place is near my house, along with the menu looking promising. We could careless about the 'Buckhead scene' as I can't stand 'large loud buckheady restaurants', but maybe this will be different. I'm here for the food and cocktails :catdrugs:

Has anyone been before?

yeah I went, it was fine. nothing special menu wise. I wasn't footing the bill though, so my opinions were tempered. above average food and drink for an unknown price, who can complain?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

yeah I went, it was fine. nothing special menu wise. I wasn't footing the bill though, so my opinions were tempered. above average food and drink for an unknown price, who can complain?

I was actually thoroughly impressed with the place. Service was impeccable, noise levels were good, and decor was tasteful. For the food, it was drat good surprisingly! We ordered a variety of things, all being excellent. The peppers and corn side dish was amazing. The pasta thing was obviously homemade from scratch and perfect. soo much fun going here! Granted, I won't go back to King + Duke, Optimist, or 246 (only because the noise levels are unbearable, but food was excellent), but St. Cecilia was exceptionally great compared to his other establishments. The clientele was typical Buckhead, but the workers all looked like they came out of an episode of Portlandia. No complaints, I'd go back again and again...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I was actually thoroughly impressed with the place. Service was impeccable, noise levels were good, and decor was tasteful. For the food, it was drat good surprisingly! We ordered a variety of things, all being excellent. The peppers and corn side dish was amazing. The pasta thing was obviously homemade from scratch and perfect. soo much fun going here! Granted, I won't go back to King + Duke, Optimist, or 246 (only because the noise levels are unbearable, but food was excellent), but St. Cecilia was exceptionally great compared to his other establishments. The clientele was typical Buckhead, but the workers all looked like they came out of an episode of Portlandia. No complaints, I'd go back again and again...

awesome, glad you had a good time! I definitely don't remember having any complaints from my visit either, so maybe we have consensus for "most acceptable ford fry restaurant". ;)

(which by the way should totally be a creative loafing 'best of' category. I might actually e-mail them about that. makin' myself lol'n'troll over here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My parents are going to be in town for 2 nights. I can use this an opportunity to go to expensive fancy places that I haven't had the chance to try yet. The ones I know off the top of my head are Bacchanalia and Restaurant Eugene. What's the deal with Quinones? Is it just a special room inside of Bacchanalia?