Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

Nice passive aggressive schtick though.

His comment was pretty aggressive, not passive-aggressive.

But yeah, info on what you've changed would help diagnosing a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

Any of you guys ever rented what Hertz bills as the 3-series "or similar" in Europe (specifically Spain)? The website claims it's manual + 51 mpg, which to me makes me think diesel - anyone driven one/how's the driving experience, and any ideas what might be substituted in as "or similar"?

The other option is locking in a Mini Countryman since I can choose that exact model of car... Looking for something fun that my wife & I can rip around the hills in and have some fun driving, the 3-series (presumed) diesel's torque sounds like the kind of thing that makes that activity even better. I wish they rented more manual cars in the US.

Go through Sixt, and email them about your reservation in advance. That way you can line up the exact car you want. It's surprisingly cheap, too. I got an M135i for 70 euro a day.

If it's claiming 51 mpg, you're going to get something like a 316d. While it'll still be a BMW, you'll want a substantially bigger motor if you want to "rip around" anywhere.

edit: "Similar car" range is going to be the other bottom-end sedans, like a Mercedes C180 or Audi A4 2.0TDI

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 26, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sadi posted:

I have no idea what's causing it but I found a detailed run down on the abs system the other day. Looking at the inputs might help you. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-qFN_YARaIQUUlTMXp4ZzBScTA/edit

Thanks I'll have a look through this!

BlackMK4 posted:

What have you changed lately?

It's okay, there are better forums for actual information out there. :) You're involved in some of the most hardcore AI poo poo out of anyone here.

Sorta why I don't get the hate! Where's good for basically wanting to go fast and look cool all I use atm is M3cutters but it's kinda slow and dull project wise?

meatpimp posted:

His comment was pretty aggressive, not passive-aggressive.

But yeah, info on what you've changed would help diagnosing a bunch.

All I've changed lately is front indicators and diffuser so nothing there could be causing it. As well as fresh Michelin Pilot Sport 3s which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm not feeling the back end go though before tcs kills all my power off which is odd, cause previously it had a little bit of slip before it cut in so harshly.
Pressures are fine and there's a ton of tread. I don't recall this happening in the past 6 months or so, but maybe the roads have cooled down and these tyres are really sensitive to hear or something? I just found it really odd and was hoping there might be something obvious I'm missing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

All I've changed lately is front indicators and diffuser so nothing there could be causing it. As well as fresh Michelin Pilot Sport 3s which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm not feeling the back end go though before tcs kills all my power off which is odd, cause previously it had a little bit of slip before it cut in so harshly.
Pressures are fine and there's a ton of tread. I don't recall this happening in the past 6 months or so, but maybe the roads have cooled down and these tyres are really sensitive to hear or something? I just found it really odd and was hoping there might be something obvious I'm missing.

How many miles do you have on the tires? If it's less than a couple hundred, you could just be feeling some slickness from the mold release remaining... give it some time and they should bed in? (then again, I imagine you'd burn the mold release off pretty quickly)

Also, what's the date on the tires? Are they made-in-2014 new, or made in last-couple-years new?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

How many miles do you have on the tires? If it's less than a couple hundred, you could just be feeling some slickness from the mold release remaining... give it some time and they should bed in? (then again, I imagine you'd burn the mold release off pretty quickly)

Also, what's the date on the tires? Are they made-in-2014 new, or made in last-couple-years new?

Like a couple of thousand plus a couple of blasts on track.
I've not actually checked the dates. I'll do that in the morning :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Possible you're just hitting dirt? Mine goes ape poo poo under even light acceleration if there is a little dirt on the road.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nait Sirhc posted:

Go through Sixt, and email them about your reservation in advance. That way you can line up the exact car you want. It's surprisingly cheap, too. I got an M135i for 70 euro a day.

If it's claiming 51 mpg, you're going to get something like a 316d. While it'll still be a BMW, you'll want a substantially bigger motor if you want to "rip around" anywhere.

edit: "Similar car" range is going to be the other bottom-end sedans, like a Mercedes C180 or Audi A4 2.0TDI

Awesome, thanks for this info.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
If you overheated the tires on the track, they can sometimes get gummy and performance will be greatly diminished.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bape Culture posted:

Probably nothing since they're off the car you thick oval office.
Nice passive aggressive schtick though. Insanely cool.
It's a good job you put performance in quotes as this shows you know much more than schirmer and many of the other best bmw builders in the world. Great stuff.

OK, yes my comment was uncalled for...sorry about that.

To add to the chorus, check your tires. Those are fairly aggressive tires that need a bit of heat in them, and its possible that you're not getting enough for whatever reason. Also, your alignment might be off, so maybe have that checked.

Beyond that you just might be used to the car now; I know when I got my E46 I drove like an old lady for the first week or so, now it feels slow as hell (because it is).

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Saw a poor guy in an E46 with the hood up and a whole bunch of coolant on the ground. GDCS strikes again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
One of my coworkers bought an 87 325is German import for significantly less than $5k and I'm kind of jealous. It's even in alpineweiss with a tan interior so it's basically my car only not a tremendous pile of poo poo

e: I told her I was going to steal it from her driveway one night and replace it with mine and she wouldn't even notice until it was too late

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Just curious is this is a problem someone might know about, my wife is calling the shop today to have it looked at, but I was just looking for a little info first.

This morning my wife started her car, it went fine, then a few minutes after starting it the CEL came on, she shut the car off, restarted it, and the CEL light was off. It sat for a couple hours then this afternoon the same thing happened again, and restarting the car turned it off. In both instances once that car was restarted the light stayed off even if she stopped, shut it off, went in somewhere and started it again in short periods of time. The CEL doesn't seem to affect the drivability or anything.

It's a 2008 135i w/50k miles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Can you borrow or use a codereader from an auto parts store or a friend? that's the easiest way to find out what it is for free.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Well, Tyra Borealis (don't tell me you don't name your cars) is gone now. She's gone to the nicest junkyard in the area, it even has a friendly name: Amigo's. I called, they called back, I called them back, we made the arrangements, I called the tow truck company, and some time mid-morning today, she was pulled away to her grave.

I'm sad now.

But! Some small pieces of Tyra will LIVE ON! in others' e36. So that makes me a little happier. :gbsmith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm pouring out a little power steering fluid for ya.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

revmoo posted:

I'm pouring out a little power steering fluid for ya.

I just let my car do that for me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awww yeah :getin: think I found the one

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=375610759

Edit gently caress sold already

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Unless I'm just drawing lovely replacement auxiliary fans, is there any reason why a fan should die in a few weeks? The first one died a month and a half ago so I replaced it with another then that died 3 weeks later, replaced again. Seemed to be fine until today when the new one died too. Could a faulty relay be an issue or anything else?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

I think if you shared more of the going fast stuff and less of the bling bling you'd get a better response here.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

And just like that it's magically working again.. Time to hunt down gremlins, or a faulty relay..

edit: maybe coolant temp sensor is loving up this time?

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I think if you shared more of the going fast stuff and less of the bling bling you'd get a better response here.

Yeah you're right op.

Anyway I picked up deez nuts today and ordered a stud conversion.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
M62 bros! On a scale of "cook eggs" to "defcon 1" how hot is your upper radiator hose after driving your car for a decent amount of time? My heat gauge is reading dead center, not getting any steam or weird poo poo, but drat that loving hose is hot.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

PaintVagrant posted:

M62 bros! On a scale of "cook eggs" to "defcon 1" how hot is your upper radiator hose after driving your car for a decent amount of time? My heat gauge is reading dead center, not getting any steam or weird poo poo, but drat that loving hose is hot.

Bmw engines of that era and newer get egg cooking hot as a general rule. 205-210f is normal for the m54. Looks like the m62 is even higher at about 225f. It's an emissions thing.

E: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/86197-what-normal-operating-coolant-temperature.html

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Das Volk posted:

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah you're right op.

Anyway I picked up deez nuts today and ordered a stud conversion.

For some reason I don't think this is helping the situation.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Brock Landers posted:

Bmw engines of that era and newer get egg cooking hot as a general rule. 205-210f is normal for the m54. Looks like the m62 is even higher at about 225f. It's an emissions thing.

Cool, I figured as much. I have owned mostly econo-mobiles and I was shocked at the heat this engine puts off, even after a couple of minutes of idle.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I got some new wheels too, however I bought them because there aren't any track tires available in the M3's odd diameter. The stock wheels are 18" and the best tire I can get is already on there (PS2) so I bought a used set of ZCP wheels from a shop here in the bay area. A couple of them are slightly scuffed up, but for $800 it's a great deal for strong and light OE wheels. I'll be fitting the pre-heatcycled R888's I ordered from Tire Rack next week, just in time for the hillclimb.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Das Volk posted:

I got some new wheels too, however I bought them because there aren't any track tires available in the M3's odd diameter. The stock wheels are 18" and the best tire I can get is already on there (PS2) so I bought a used set of ZCP wheels from a shop here in the bay area. A couple of them are slightly scuffed up, but for $800 it's a great deal for strong and light OE wheels. I'll be fitting the pre-heatcycled R888's I ordered from Tire Rack next week, just in time for the hillclimb.

Nice rimz, but they'd look better gold with some metal flake.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So apparently I failed at properly putting the new o-ring on the oil filter cap when I changed the oil and over time the pressure backed out the cap and caused it to spray hot oil over my engine compartment. They cleaned and degreased the engine compartment and advised me to stop changing my own oil, which stings a bit, if I'm being honest. Still, better a bruised ego than a cracked head or blown gasket.

However, they also discovered that my rear wheel bearings need replacement. The car has 85000 miles on it, is this normal?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

For some reason I don't think this is helping the situation.

That was the joke. At least they're forged steel and not some ally shite, although I do understand the finish is a bit out there for most people. Does anyone know how they achieve this 'neochrome' finish? I want those gram lights now.

Das Volk posted:

These are cool. Are you running square?

Also got my CSL diffuser on tonight. Finishes of the backend 10x better than stock IMHO.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bape Culture posted:

These are cool. Are you running square?

They're an evolution of the CSL design but they are not square, the car oversteers too much as it is. Style 359 19x9/19x10 and 11-12 kg per corner. I'll see how they handle the track rubber on stock sizes, but if it isn't enough I'll give the PSC 2 a go in wider spec.

You gonna put a CF roof on that E46?

Non-jokey pic:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They remind me of those apex ones too. Pretty cool. Ah okay I wasn't sure how the 92 compared to 46s.
I don't envy you having to replace those 888s every 5 minutes I must say. I'm annoyed thinking about replacing my federal RSRs and they last much longer!

I don't think I'll bother with a cf roof. At least at the moment. They are very expensive and fairly labour intensive it seems.
Next mod will be a oem csl boot as I have a mate with a car so can order for me as heard rumours they are going to stop making replacements shortly(?).
And then ap brakes but beyond that I'm going to far and will need a nice rear end daily before I strip and cage it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

brutally burned by tepid cretins

This is my black metal album title.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So on the topic of blinging out poormobiles, can anyone recommend an aftermarket spring kit that doesn't lower an E46 any lower than stock ZSP/ZHP ride height? My car is already too low at the factory height, and the bottom of my front lip is just a mass of rash from scraping driveways at this point (fun fact, I can only use one of the two driveways into my complex, because I scrape going in/out of the other one), and getting any kind of floor jack under the car to do work is already an exercise in creativity, but at the same time, I need to replace my busted-rear end left rear spring sometime soonish and would prefer to get some slightly stiffer aftermarket springs since they're about the same price or cheaper than OEM.

It's hard to find a decent description for springs since a lot of them just say "lowers 1 inch from factory"(example) without clearly specifying whether they mean "1 inch lower than normal, non-sport E46", vs. "1 inch lower than sport package E46", which is already lowered around 1" in front/.5" rear than normal non-sport pack E46s. :suicide:

Alternatively, just imagine this entire post is just a giant rant calling all stancers assholes and hoping all the roads they drive on are full of potholes :argh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Most people tell you to go to track pads when you install track tires, so I'm hoping someone here has suggestions for the E9x M3. I'd prefer something that's not meant to stress the rotor, but I don't mind a little noise or warm-up.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Das Volk posted:

Most people tell you to go to track pads when you install track tires, so I'm hoping someone here has suggestions for the E9x M3. I'd prefer something that's not meant to stress the rotor, but I don't mind a little noise or warm-up.

I'm a big fan of dedicated track rotors and pads. Doesn't have to be expensive rotors but I really like carbotechs and they need dedicated rotors.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Das Volk posted:

We've always run dedicated track pads, rotors and wheels/tires. For rotors cheap blanks work fine for track days...we even run them on the chump but it's a lot lighter than a E9x M3. Have no experience with pads on the newer M3's but I've always been happy with performance friction, carbotech or hawk for a dedicated track pad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

All the e92 people here buzz off those pagid crossover things.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

HotCanadianChick posted:

Alternatively, just imagine this entire post is just a giant rant calling all stancers assholes and hoping all the roads they drive on are full of potholes :argh:
I'll have you know that I drive in Atlanta every day on lovely Racelands and cheap LM reps and only bend a wheel a year. :smug:

In seriousness, though, if you want that much specific control over your ride height, you're best served by going to coils.
Or you could quit being a static scrub and run bags like the cool kids. (Please don't do this.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Got A/C crank pully off. It put up a loving fight. And I bent it a bunch getting it off. Thankfully, the clutch fan bracket holder thing was perfect to slide in between the accessory pully and the A/C pully.

I just hope the Aerokroil doesn't mess with the accessory belt already on there. I did my best to cover the belts, but some got on the belts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So, when trying to install the wheel bearing on the left side they discovered the axle is rusted so badly they can't remove it. To repair it properly they said I'm looking at $4k or so. They put everything back together and advised it's driveable for now, while I try to figure out wtf I'm going to do.

E: WTF, it's only 5 years old. I get that we use a lot of road salt up here but I've never had something so catastrophic on a car this new before.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 29, 2014