Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RE: Eisenhorn e-books. You can buy all the Eisenhorn and Ravenor (the sequel trilogy) books direct from the Black Library for $70. That's like seven novels and five short stories, pretty much all of them good, though some people in the Black Library thread weren't too fond of Pariah. I liked it fine, but I acknowledge it's different in tone than it's predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Grognan posted:

Tracks are yes, jets if you put them on are a probably.

Can we name it "The Luggage"?

If we can get something resembling something undead as a servitor we could name it "Carrion Luggage".

jng2058 posted:

RE: Eisenhorn e-books. You can buy all the Eisenhorn and Ravenor (the sequel trilogy) books direct from the Black Library for $70. That's like seven novels and five short stories, pretty much all of them good, though some people in the Black Library thread weren't too fond of Pariah. I liked it fine, but I acknowledge it's different in tone than it's predecessors.

I think this may represent a concerted effort in the thread to ruin my near term life.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So if we win the race do we have to marry into the gun tribes?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
If we win, each of them owes us a favor, to be collected whenever. If we lose we buy drinks?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Azhais posted:

So if we win the race do we have to marry into the gun tribes?

There's marriage and then there's marriage. Marriage could be recognized by the clans if not by your Lord-Sire, and you might add up several marriages over the years.

I follow medieval rules >_> Marriages are political, not romantic. Alexander the Great married a princess in every tribe he conquered, if I remember correctly.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

If we can get something resembling something undead as a servitor we could name it "Carrion Luggage".

I think this may represent a concerted effort in the thread to ruin my near term life.

Relax, I haven't read Ravenor either :D

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It might be bad for our dignity to take part (and lose), but
C

Can we ride our robodog?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rockopolis posted:

It might be bad for our dignity to take part (and lose), but
C

Can we ride our robodog?

I was thinking something more along the lines of http://goo.gl/38uQbX

A cyber mastiff seems small for a tech-priest, at least from the earlier pictures

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Sogol posted:

Yes. Yes we can.

I honestly like the idea of D better, but will still be pleased if C wins the day. If it does, I want to have two of them on mechafeet (with some jump jets added on as well) with us riding in a floating chariot behind, driving them onwards with a living mechanical whip.

...Ah, screw it, let's go all-in. C you at the finish line!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
C, with the proviso that we sabotage the other machines to ensure our victory. We can't have a bunch of upstart dregs beating us when we're both a priest of the Omnissiah and part of the ruling family.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sogol posted:

You're welcome, it's been days since I ruined a life. Once you've started reading 'em, feel free to come by the Black Library thread and let us know what you think!

e:sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Haha oh yeah C. Make sure it's one if our cousins. Ask it what it thinks about the race just before we start. Ignore the answer.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

C - Always bet on black red

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
C

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

I haven't decided on tracks, jets, wings, 2 legs, 4 legs, 8 legs, or wheels. Probably some hideous combination of all of them.

I note with disappointment that these are all single digit numbers.

C, and we ride one of our cousins, modified for maximum speed and painted red for going fast glory of the Omnissiah.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here's something Orky to provide inspiration:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Here's something Orky to provide inspiration:

Inspiration, you say? Let’s see what we can do.

Where we’re going we won’t need roads.

Between can be a strange place. You can be completely isolated, lost in a labyrinth of megatons of steel and cargo and forgotten debris. You can be a hundred meters from a hundred thousand souls, and only hear the slightest murmur of the heartbeat of a city. Sometimes metal trembles inexplicably. Sometimes you can hear the distant splash of running water, or chemical leaks.

And sometimes you can hear this

Blasting at 130 decibels, the overwhelming, all consuming pressure of the volume equivalent to shipboard cannon. The metal shakes and rattles under it, megafauna flee in terror, the air itself seems to vibrate with the intensity of it. It is a hymn known to all Tech-Priests, one of the oldest and most sacred rituals that begin all rites of any complexity and skill. It is the lullaby of the Forge Worlds, it is the pulse of the Omnissiah.

And it is currently screaming out of the throat of an ill-used servitor, barrelling down the Between Road. Moving at 150 kilometers an hour, shifting on three independently sets of paired solid tires, it dances along the debris and machinery with surprising skill and grace. The face of it, some tormented sinner, now screams the chants of the Machine-Priests, forever and ever, Amen.

Riding, or perhaps steering, the once human servitor is a Tech-Priest, her mechanical voice laughing and whooping with each turn and fall. The engines of such a servitor aren’t a vehicle - they are meant to travel sedately along the Hives of a Forge World. But Ohone isn’t just a Tech-Priest; she’s the Four Time Winner of Hive 12 Juvenile Servitor Races. And she has her racing goggles on.

She is easily leaning into the change of directions holding onto the spine of her servitor; gyroscopic sensors and fluidic based leveling mechanisms manage the transitions of a three dimensional fall, which is how she has accomplished such intense speeds. Calculating nearly instantly, she measures arcs of situational gravity, using the sudden whips of a gravity wave to perpetually fall towards the finish line.

Her servitor was human, once. Now he serves the Machine.

The official rules of the Servitor Races require the Servitor to still exist within the racing vehicle, and it must still be able to steer it’s own directions. This would require some level of bestiary ability, like riding a herd animal from some more agricultural world. Ohone barely kept to the spirit of the rules in this. She kept only the face of her servitor, replacing much of it with metal plating, wiring, or the massive speaker system in the throat. The arms themselves extend from the machine, extending in a hundred rotating chains, clearing any mines that lay ahead.

The Hive 12 Juvenile Servitor Races were not kind to the unprepared.

In the passenger pod to her left, her Cyber-Mastiff. Passengers didn’t break the rules of the Races, although conventional thought frowned on the additional weight, and occasionally atmsopheric requirements. Ohone, however, had used her Cyber-Mastiff to great success, as the Between Race would show. It watched everything with fascination, and seemed to bark a laugh on particularly rough turns. She seemed to be having a good time.

All of this didn’t mean they were winning the race, however. The gravity tricks had taken several minutes to set up, and both Red and Blue were far ahead. She had met the pilots prior - Blue was an enthusiast named Jeb, who seemed to believe that adding more rockets was the single indicator of success. The Red vehicle was piloted by someone who only identified themselves as Five, and their vehicle was artistry made life.

Now, to see if all her tricks had accomplished what they needed to. Ahead, a radiation stream. Both Red and Blue were taking to the air, avoiding it and lengthening their time slightly. Ohone laughed, her voice meshing with the sacred hymn of the Machine, and made her decision…

Do you

A. Run through the radiation patch. You are mostly a machine, you can handle any symptoms of radiation sickness such as nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, and death.

B. Launch your passenger pod. Your cyber mastiff has done this many times, and will distract/ravage one of the pilots enough for you to advance up the ranks.

C. Activate your one-use repulsors. They will airburst right as Red and Blue reach the height of their arc, scattering them down the length of the tracks.

D. Ramming speed! Your servitor chain arms will attempt to grapple one of the other vehicles, slowing it down as it allows you to pick up speed. Why use your engines when they brought you theirs?

E. Something else

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 28, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A. A few MegaRads never hurt nobody.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
B. Go dog, go!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

E

We won't cut directly through the radiation, but we WILL cut the corner. We have more machine parts than them, so we can deal with higher rad levels. That means we don't have to travel as far. AND, we can launch the dog THROUGH the rad zone and pick him up on the other side, giving us a temporary speed boost by not having his weight. This will throw the others off because our performance profile suddenly changes!

Also, this gives us time to put our thumb on our nose and waggle our fingers at them as we pass them.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
B

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

D:black101:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D. I like the chain arms too much not to use them.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B - give dog a chance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FireSight posted:

E

We won't cut directly through the radiation, but we WILL cut the corner. We have more machine parts than them, so we can deal with higher rad levels. That means we don't have to travel as far. AND, we can launch the dog THROUGH the rad zone and pick him up on the other side, giving us a temporary speed boost by not having his weight. This will throw the others off because our performance profile suddenly changes!

Also, this gives us time to put our thumb on our nose and waggle our fingers at them as we pass them.

This sounds stupid and I don't understand it. It's got my vote.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's easy enough. Right now we are carrying extra weight, but the dog can apparently move on it's own and catch up to the guys ahead of us (see option B). At the moment, the guys ahead of us are taking the LONG route from point A to B because the short route involves radiation. Think of it like a curve on a race track. Hugging the inside of the curve is faster than going along the outside of it. In this case, the inside of the curve is the edge of the radiation zone. I don't want us eating ALL of the radiation, but we can probably worry about it less than the meatbags can. The dog doesn't have to worry about it at all.

So the idea is, we take the inside of the turn, but before we start taking the turn we launch the dog directly through the rad zone. With less weight, we go faster (see the note about the extra weight of the sidecar slowing us down in the post), but once we get to the other side of the rad zone, we can re-attach the sidecar for later use. You know, to keep the other guys from winning.

I just want to hold the dirty tricks for the last possible moment. I'd rather win without them, earning everyones respect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, hi, :jeb: it's good to see you're keeping it up in the 41st millennium. Must've been a long trip from Kerban.

B, for maximum dog.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How resilient is our metal dog? Can it survive being run over?

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

FireSight posted:

E

Go go overly complex plan!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Night10194 posted:

Oh, hi, :jeb: it's good to see you're keeping it up in the 41st millennium. Must've been a long trip from Kerban.

B, for maximum dog.

Well spotted! 25 XP

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

How resilient is our metal dog? Can it survive being run over?

Yes, but you will need to spend a week or two doing repairs. She won't be hunting during that time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So I guess throwing it in front of our opponents and causing a multi servitor pileup isn't a clever move.

I still think Firesites plan is dumb, so let's do that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Put your fAith in the Emperor. The Emperor protects!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
C

Red Five has switched off their targeting cogitator; now's our chance to pull ahead! :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
b go go gadget dog.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

FireSight posted:

E

I do like complex plans that are not one of the lettered options so I'll go with E.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rockopolis posted:

C

Red Five has switched off their targeting cogitator; now's our chance to pull ahead! :v:

And thats our other one! 25 XP

We've gotten 100 XP in references, and I plan to divvy up skill and encounter XP after the wedding. Im trying to string it out enough we get a level out of it :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 28, 2014