Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Strudel Man posted:

Hm. The limits on skill gain from easy tasks are certainly necessary in the abstract, but perhaps they're a little too strong at the moment. It seems like it's basically impossible to start homesteading without a book; you can dig a pit with 0 skill in construction, which can get you up to skill 1, but log walls require skill 2, and there's no good way to get there in the wilderness.

Not sure which version you're on, but I find reinforcing windows and chopping down trees and cutting them into logs or 2x4s is a good early game method to grind construction until you can get into the heavy projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I just tried a game with random NPC spawns on, and I've decided that it's still too broken/unbalanced to use. NPCs seem to keep spawning at a very high rate, and found that when using a multi-tile building as a home (mansion), they'll spawn on the other side of the building. I was ambushed multiple times by hostile NPCs that spawned inside the house, and was finally killed when one of them had a flamethrower and burned down the house with me in it*.

* That also seems broken, as the entire building collapsed and killed us both, in a single turn.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Static NPC's are pretty fun though. Survival centers and what not. It's also nice to have a buddy at the start.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
When proper NPCs are in having something like a mansion fortified and controlled by a group of survivors will be very interesting.

Making friends with them through quests or whatever so you can take some of the loot/camp/group up or just kill them will be a fun thing to do. Before even NPCs get working I really want wildlife/zombies/robots/NPCs to fight each other, I think it's something that's really missing. Watching a bear maul a pack of zombies before being killed and reanimating as a zombear should be a thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

aerion111 posted:

Heck, he's not even the first to have the idea - it feels like one in five zombie-related stories will have at least one zombie end up captured and rendered harmless in one way or another.

You can blame Walking Dead for this, one character in that show cut off the arms and lower jaw of her friends or brothers or something and walks them around tied to a leash like a bunch of pet zombies.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wild T posted:

Not sure which version you're on, but I find reinforcing windows and chopping down trees and cutting them into logs or 2x4s is a good early game method to grind construction until you can get into the heavy projects.
I was on a reasonably up-to-date version, not sure if it was the most recent. Windows would have worked, but I was just out working in the wild, so there weren't any windows to reinforce. I ended up going into town and repeatedly damaging and repairing the doors of a library to get past that hump.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Hey I apologize if this has been asked before but I've been away from this game since the og developer abandoned it and some random nerds picked it up. What are some of the major changes since then?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Zombie slaves, fursuits, bondage gear, tetanus. Don't waste your time on this.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Man Whore posted:

Hey I apologize if this has been asked before but I've been away from this game since the og developer abandoned it and some random nerds picked it up. What are some of the major changes since then?

Huge quality of life improvements, like: a game window larger than 10x10, being able to view all items around you instead of from only one tile away, being able to carry more than 75 items at once.

Big changes to game design, like being able to craft pretty much everything in the game. Also, zombies are now generated once at the start of the game instead of dynamically - so you can legitimately clear a town out.

They added a boatload of items. In many cases it's redundant content, but now you can rollerblade circles around zombies and bullwhip them while throwing all their stuff in your shopping cart.

Some of the more prolific posters in the thread hold grudges against the main developer, so just ignore the drama and play it for yourself.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Man Whore posted:

The game has expanded and improved drastically since Whales got bored.

The main issue is the current maintainers are sometimes asshats, but more importantly incompetent in creating significant new content. Not because they're lazy, they just don't have the ability meaning the greater scope of the game has been stalled for some time now. There's rarely an update with meaningful content and it's incredibly slow. So instead endless retreads and adding a new pair of shoes is the bulk of current work.

I hope they get there one day though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

So do zombies stay dead between character deaths? Like could I continually throw characters into the meat grinder until I cleared a city block?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Strumpie posted:

The game has expanded and improved drastically since Whales got bored.

The main issue is the current maintainers are sometimes asshats, but more importantly incompetent in creating significant new content. Not because they're lazy, they just don't have the ability meaning the greater scope of the game has been stalled for some time now. There's rarely an update with meaningful content and it's incredibly slow. So instead endless retreads and adding a new pair of shoes is the bulk of current work.

I hope they get there one day though.

Hopefully they do, I do miss the days of goon releases and various offshoots though.

Also whiteshark you seriously need to update the OP mate, last edit was way off in 2013.

Xii fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2014

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
I haven't been keeping up, when was the last time the experimental z-levels version has been updated? It looks like it's really close to completion. There are probably plenty of goons who could finish it up if it's stalled.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Man Whore posted:

So do zombies stay dead between character deaths? Like could I continually throw characters into the meat grinder until I cleared a city block?

Sort of. They do stay dead (as long as you (s)mash the bodies to make sure they don't rise again), but when you begin a new character he starts in a different location, usually miles away. You can't really count on a meat grinder strategy.

You're best off running away from anything more than a single zombie. It's not like other roguelikes where you're expected to fight the basic monsters at the beginning of the game. Smash a window, loot a house, and move.

When you do have to fight, try throwing rocks and sticks at it from nearby instead of engaging in melee.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I didn't know I could smash them :negative:

I just spent a whole day running around looking for a knife so I could butcher them. (well I was mostly running away from zombies I already killed but whatever)

I knew I could craft a knife but figured it would just be easier to find one. I was wrong.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Don't you start with a pocket knife anymore?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't you start with a pocket knife anymore?
There's quite a few starting classes that don't get a knife.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I remember right you can make a knife out of the stuff in the shelter. Smash a locker and a window, tear the sheet from the window into rags, use the scrap and string/rags (I forget which you need) to make the knife.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Zombie slaves, fursuits, bondage gear, tetanus. Don't waste your time on this.

How's the modding situation then?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A lot of the content they've added has been stupid. Whales version may have been buggy but he had some sense of quality control. Not long after he gave up on it the 'community' took it over people started adding bondage gear and joke items and 50 identical guns.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

It's a slight hassle but it's extremely easy to remove any items you want from the game. I also don't think joke items are a dealbreaker either way.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'd say this is probably the best current roguelike platform for modding since it's open source and has a pretty good basis for a lot of interactions. The main thing holding it back is that the code sucks, but it's pretty simplisticly coded so it's also easy to understand once you do a bit of untangling. I'm bad at programming but I find it pretty easy to go in and make my own personal additions and balance changes that make the game way more fun for me.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 26, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

There's official mod support now, and a wide variety of mods that do literally nothing besides removing items.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'd say this is probably the best current roguelike platform for modding since it's open source and has a pretty good basis for a lot of interactions.
ToME 4 is probably better, because LUA actually allows you to come up with new stuff instead of just minor tweaks, but that's offset by being attached to the most boring game on the market.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

I'm not sure I understand. You could come up with whatever new stuff you want for cataclysm since it's completely open source.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's true, it's just not what people mean when they say modding. Modding means changing game content and mechanics without needing to recompile the game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'd say this is probably the best current roguelike platform for modding since it's open source and has a pretty good basis for a lot of interactions.

Better than ToME or Angband, which has inspired a whole shitload of variants?

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Better than ToME or Angband, which has inspired a whole shitload of variants?

I'd say so since cataclysm is more versatile than classic roguelikes. The more complicated systems like driving, some of the visual systems and the survival mechanics are pretty impressive and a good basis for a lot of things. I'd say it's better looking in ascii than older roguelikes as well. I don't know much about tome and angband mods though.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
It really depends on who is interested in modifying these games and on the community that supports these people. Being open source doesn't change anything generally.
Just look at any game that is modified like crazy (Minecraft, Skyrim, Dwarf Fortress, ARMA, BF2, etc.)

Cataclysm used to have a lot of people interested in changing the game and even recreating the code to make it less poo poo, these people have slowly vanished though, now what is left are little mods that change almost nothing at all.

Unless you are talking about recompiling a new version of a game or a variant, having open source doesn't mean much.

EDIT: Yes Cataclysm might be one of the best examples of a popular open source roguelike, but there are multiple factors that keep it from progressing.

Xii fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 26, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'd say so since cataclysm is more versatile than classic roguelikes. The more complicated systems like driving, some of the visual systems and the survival mechanics are pretty impressive and a good basis for a lot of things. I'd say it's better looking in ascii than older roguelikes as well. I don't know much about tome and angband mods though.

Angband is probably the most modded roguelike ever, with dozens of variants, some of which became their own games with their own variants.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=List_of_Angband_variants

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I would really love for them to add a horde or something. I have the spawn-rate set to where I can actually sneak around without getting spotted by dozens of zombies on every-street corner yet I now rarely encounter a large enough group to make my molotovs actually useful. Just having a large group of zombies path randomly in town as a group would add a cool little problem.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I would really love for them to add a horde or something. I have the spawn-rate set to where I can actually sneak around without getting spotted by dozens of zombies on every-street corner yet I now rarely encounter a large enough group to make my molotovs actually useful. Just having a large group of zombies path randomly in town as a group would add a cool little problem.

This is already in the game as an experimental feature, in its current state I wouldn't recommend using it though.

It's in the options as 'Wander Spawns'.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, it could use some tweaking. In my experience, the moment you break a window, you have maybe five turns to steal everything and get the gently caress out of Dodge before three dozen special zombies are surrounding you and chewing you to bits. :iit:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

All animals are apparently in an alliance as I discovered the hard way when I shot a wolf to eat and every nearby wolf, dog, fox, and even a rattle snake made a beeline for me.

Tonight I feast like a king.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I was remembering how much fun it was to build a killdozer so I did a bit of digging and apparently Whales is working on a sequel. No idea how far along it is but here's his tumblr

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
It's been linked a few pages back, but it seems that it's now sharing development time with Edigotia, which he described as a "city-building/diplomacy/RPG game", with elves, orcs, mining and farming.

He posted a few screenshots of Cataclysm 2, and it's looking pretty much identical to Cataclysm 1, but he says on twitter that it's a long way away from it, lacking features like crafting and building.

I'll admit I'm getting a bit hopeful. :ohdear: He made this game once, if only he could make it again, this time with working NPCs.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

I was remembering how much fun it was to build a killdozer so I did a bit of digging and apparently Whales is working on a sequel. No idea how far along it is but here's his tumblr

The main thing I find interesting about Whales's Cataclysm 2 development is he is trying to make this one as data-driven as possible. Even the UI is defined in data files.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Beeme posted:

I'll admit I'm getting a bit hopeful. :ohdear: He made this game once, if only he could make it again, this time with working NPCs.

It'll be funny if Cataclysm 2 comes out with working NPCs before CDDA has them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

If you're going to killdozer, you need this.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm tentatively hopeful about Cataclysm 2, but it's hard when he already gave up on Cataclysm when it was just getting good. Cataclysm 2 seems more like he's trying to code Cataclysm RIGHT. Less a sequel and more of a more competently programmed remake. And at least when he lost interest in Cataclysm he hadn't made a kickstarter and taken a bunch of money so that makes him way better than the DDA team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

So, I found what Whales is working on over at github, and I'd really like to see how Cataclysm 2 is coming along, but I don't even know how to begin compiling something. Can someone point me in the right direction, at least?