Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Fallout: New Vegas

Cass: "Now let's go find Gloria and make that bitch eat her hair."

Objective: Find Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush and make that bitch eat her hair.

Possibly the funniest game objective I have ever seen, just because of the perfect comedic timing of it popping up right after Cass says her line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's also funny because Gloria van Graff is bald.

The first objective in OWB is "Find out where the hell you are."

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

LoonShia posted:

It's also funny because Gloria van Graff is bald.

The first objective in OWB is "Find out where the hell you are."

I liked "OBJECTIVE: Talk to the idiot wearing sunglasses."

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I love two things about the console versions of Diablo 3. The fact that you can directly control your character via the left stick makes getting out of harms way so much easier.Easier yet, they made the right stick do a roll dodge which can cancel animations. It has saved my rear end a number of times already and I'm only on Act II.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Polaron posted:

Objective: Find Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush and make that bitch eat her hair.

Possibly the funniest game objective I have ever seen, just because of the perfect comedic timing of it popping up right after Cass says her line.

That reminds me of something from Neverwinter Nights 2:

"XP granted for befriending a giant magical spider."

That might be the only thing I actually liked about that game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Polaron posted:

Saint's Row 4 has the objective "Be a badass" pop up while The Touch is playing in the background. If I remember right, there's no one telling you specifically what to do via radio for once, no mission marker you have to run to, no NPC to follow. Just be a badass and listen to awesomely terrible 80s music.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At one point in Prototype 2, you're told "Press X to gently caress over scientists".

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
"Run for your life!" from Condemned 2 and "Smoke the dope or don't. It's up to you." from NARC sit at the top of my list of great video game objectives.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Don't forget Blood Dragon's "Punch the reactor"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

carry on then posted:

Don't forget Blood Dragon's "Punch the reactor"

Also "grab Darling's package."

Borderlands 2 has some fun like this too, most evident in the "Shoot This Guy in the Face" mission.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2 has some fun like this too, most evident in the "Shoot This Guy in the Face" mission.
I've never not shot him in the face. What happens if you don't? :ohdear:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
[ ] Kill Yourself
[ ] ...Or Don't

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Croccers posted:

He eventually stops ranting after several minutes, but that's it. I don't think it's possible to fail that quest entirely, if you shoot him somewhere else he takes no damage and shouts "THAT'S NOT THE FACE!"

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I absolutely loved the bit at the end of one of Borderlands 2's DLC areas when the "boss" appears, his health bar fills up and he just trips and falls down the stairs, his health bar dropping chunk by chunk as he stacks it all the way down until he breaks his neck at the bottom.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Croccers posted:

The "Don't shoot him in the <body part>" objective check boxes will un-check as you shoot him in other body parts besides the face.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The part where he kills you.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Blood Dragon has such amazing schlocky humor, it's one of the funniest single player games I've played in a while.

:catdrugs:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

The best is when you first find a Terror 4000 and Rex sings the main riff of Raining Blood

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theshim posted:

[ ] Kill Yourself
[ ] ...Or Don't

There's also a mission where you're blowing something up and the optional objective is to not look at the explosion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

There's also a mission where you're blowing something up and the optional objective is to not look at the explosion.

Which completely freaks out the bandit whose poo poo you're blowing up.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

At the end of said mission, Brick suggests that you just jump off the giant tower instead of clmibing down. I'm pretty sure doing so gets you an achievment; at the very least, it impresses Brick (and is awesome)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cowboythreespeech posted:

At the end of said mission, Brick suggests that you just jump off the giant tower instead of clmibing down. I'm pretty sure doing so gets you an achievment; at the very least, it impresses Brick (and is awesome)

It's not an achievement, but there is special dialog that only triggers if you jump.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

haveblue posted:

It's not an achievement, but there is special dialog that only triggers if you jump.

" Slab, did you -- did you just jump off The Buzzard's Nest? ...God drat you make me proud! "

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

In Metro Redux for the PS4, when you go in and out of darkness, the light bar on the Dualshock 4 will light up accordingly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

10 Beers posted:

" Slab, did you -- did you just jump off The Buzzard's Nest? ...God drat you make me proud! "

I like his sarcastic assistant too.

"Oh hey great, so you're our newest recruit. Yeah we're not pissed that you just killed dozens of our friends or anything, no we're totally cool with having you onboard. :rolleyes:"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Praetorian Mage posted:

That reminds me of something from Neverwinter Nights 2:

"XP granted for befriending a giant magical spider."

That might be the only thing I actually liked about that game.

"XP granted for becoming Jarl of a tribe of frost giants, then immediately kicking them all out of the tribe."

Some occasional great writing in that game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I like his sarcastic assistant too.

"Oh hey great, so you're our newest recruit. Yeah we're not pissed that you just killed dozens of our friends or anything, no we're totally cool with having you onboard. :rolleyes:"

If you kill that guy Brick will laugh and thank you for it. I don't remember if you are instructed to do this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I absolutely loved the bit at the end of one of Borderlands 2's DLC areas when the "boss" appears, his health bar fills up and he just trips and falls down the stairs, his health bar dropping chunk by chunk as he stacks it all the way down until he breaks his neck at the bottom.

While that particular DLC sucked, I did appreciate the inversion of the trope of bad guys always calling you to inform you that "While you may have rallied the defenders/broken my super weapon/killed my lieutenant, it matters not!" by having him legitimately freak out that you just killed his elite henchman and he didn't plan for you to beat his big monster. I didn't laugh out loud, but I appreciated it.

His accidental gag death occurs immediately after he finally manages to work up some confidence and decides that he has a chance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FROM does it again with Dark Souls 2 Iron Crown DLC. Summoned phantoms will occasionally drop items that release small phrases such as 'hello!', and a specific one will even walk up to a boss and use a smug 'it's me' emote (basically pointing at themselves with both thumbs) right in their face. :haw:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ashsaber posted:

Its not really a little thing, but Infinite Space, a space operatic RPG made in part by Platinum, the same dudes who did Revengence, Bayonetta and other crazy games,

I bought this on release day and promptly got stuck after getting the carrier schematic. There was only one FAQ/guide out for it at the time, and it was in Japanese. Thanks for reminding me that it's at the bottom of my closet, waiting to be played again :) Such a cool game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

FROM does it again with Dark Souls 2 Iron Crown DLC. Summoned phantoms will occasionally drop items that release small phrases such as 'hello!', and a specific one will even walk up to a boss and use a smug 'it's me' emote (basically pointing at themselves with both thumbs) right in their face. :haw:

From has perfected AI technology by having another invader give up and run away into crowds of enemies when it starts to lose, and heal while it can't follow you. It shrugs if you die. It also starts the fight hiding behind a wall where you can't see him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

poptart_fairy posted:

You probably already know, but you can get those items from the merchant in Iron Keep. I was idling at a bonfire once when some guy invaded me and was nice enough to keep throwing down the hello! carvings until I noticed he was there. Then he killed me. :haw:

Haven't gotten the DLC yet but I love that they're basically going all out to make their NPCs smug assholes now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

AFAIK I am the only one who liked The Bureau, XCOM uncovered. I like the setting, I kinda like how dickish the main character it is, hell I like the shameless riping off of Mass Effect Gameplay. The Little thing I like is that I can dress Carter in a black tactical turtleneck. A tactilneck if you will. (Or even a slightly darker black one)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have kind of a love/hate thing with that game. They did some interesting stuff, like the end story twist is kind of insane but there was also a bunch of stupid stuff too. Like a big one is that for a game that's supposed to be about the founding of XCOM maybe don't have it happen after the tutorial level.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

cowboythreespeech posted:

The best is when you first find a Terror 4000 and Rex sings the main riff of Raining Blood

If you hold down the fire button long enough, he screams like Rambo. :black101:

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Aug 29, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dr Christmas posted:

While that particular DLC sucked, I did appreciate the inversion of the trope of bad guys always calling you to inform you that "While you may have rallied the defenders/broken my super weapon/killed my lieutenant, it matters not!" by having him legitimately freak out that you just killed his elite henchman and he didn't plan for you to beat his big monster. I didn't laugh out loud, but I appreciated it.

His accidental gag death occurs immediately after he finally manages to work up some confidence and decides that he has a chance.

The thing the guy says just before he dies anti-climatically is pretty funny if only because the phrase "walking apocalypse" is so ridiculous that it could only happen in a Borderlands game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfs4S5UeOg

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

AFAIK I am the only one who liked The Bureau, XCOM uncovered. I like the setting, I kinda like how dickish the main character it is, hell I like the shameless riping off of Mass Effect Gameplay. The Little thing I like is that I can dress Carter in a black tactical turtleneck. A tactilneck if you will. (Or even a slightly darker black one)

Like the other poster touched on, the reveals later on were really neat.
I particularly liked the reveal that Carter's recent upswing from mediocre/awful agent to masterful commander has no basis in his actual ability and the surprise of his superior officers makes sense the moment the reason appears.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Sad lions posted:

Like the other poster touched on, the reveals later on were really neat.
I particularly liked the reveal that Carter's recent upswing from mediocre/awful agent to masterful commander has no basis in his actual ability and the surprise of his superior officers makes sense the moment the reason appears.

So my plan to become as awesome as him by drinking a ton won't work?

I found the twist really clever too, and a great way to explain his powers like healing and lifitng poo poo up

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SourceElement posted:

The thing the guy says just before he dies anti-climatically is pretty funny if only because the phrase "walking apocalypse" is so ridiculous that it could only happen in a Borderlands game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfs4S5UeOg

:crossarms:
Excuse me, but Saints Row: The Third would like a word with you. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewy2rGUwF84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I was playing Tomb Raider for the 360 last night, and as I climbed up a ridge I found three guys standing there facing away from me. I pulled out the pistol and shot one in the head, then turned and hit the second guy with another headshot. The third guy reacted by bolting straight for cover and as he hid behind it I heard him yell "holy poo poo she's a good shot!" I love it when enemies have little behavior quirks based on what the player's doing, and Tomb Raider pays off in spades.