Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

That loving Sned posted:

I hope that's just a thing Japanese developers say, like every Metal Gear game being Kojima's last.

the difference here being that every game actually needs to be kojimas last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am finally playing RE4 for the first time in my life (seriously I been holding off for years) and I love it but I cannot beat the two big ogre guys for poo poo. It's the ones where you can pull a lever and kill one of them by getting him to fall in a vat of lava. But I can't beat the second one for poo poo.

I run out of ammo and using the knife does nothing because you need to hit the octopus thing coming out of his back. How the gently caress do I kill this guy with very little ammo?

They are called "los dos gigantes" and I wasted 9 minutes watching someone play them on Youtube and then losing (why did he upload the video)

I tend to RPG one of them off the bat. I think you can actually dunk both of them though?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

I tend to RPG one of them off the bat. I think you can actually dunk both of them though?

Everything I am reading says you can only dunk one?

Are these FAQs misleading me

Someone said they killed him with a knife but I think it's literally impossible (no way to reach virus thing in his back)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Everything I am reading says you can only dunk one?

Are these FAQs misleading me

Someone said they killed him with a knife but I think it's literally impossible (no way to reach virus thing in his back)

I have killed one with a knife before, there is a context action to run up his back and slash it.

You can only dunk one. If you don't dunk either you get more cash though!!!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fellis posted:

I have killed one with a knife before, there is a context action to run up his back and slash it.

:eng101: actually if you leave and reenter the room after dunking one the loot appears right in the center of the trap door

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't think i've ever been low on ammo there, ever

what guns are you using

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It is possible to get screwed on ammo if you just spray everything and don't finish off enemies with melee and knife kills. Its an action game but its not Doom.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fellis posted:

I never saw the context action before. Just go up behind him and it should show up? That's actually a huge help. Man gamefaqs really is useless for stuff like this.

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: actually if you leave and reenter the room after dunking one the loot appears right in the center of the trap door

I did not know you could leave the room once it closed on you. Thanks!

Doctor Goat posted:

i don't think i've ever been low on ammo there, ever

what guns are you using

I am using the shotgun (leveled up to level 9 for firepower), the TMP, the handgun, the punisher, the mine throwing thing, and the rifle. I have been looking for the loving blue cat's eye for a goddamn week so I can sell the chalice for mucho dinero. Only got red and green so I don't have the broken butterfly or the riot gun or anything yet (but I got the big rear end suitcase now). I was so pissed I found the free rocket launcher after defeating that machine gun boss but I coudlnt take it with me and there's no way to go back now that i got a bigger suitcase

i also have a few grenades (all types) but yeah I use every weapon and all ammo and the fucker never dies

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

I never saw the context action before. Just go up behind him and it should show up? That's actually a huge help. Man gamefaqs really is useless for stuff like this.

I am using the shotgun (leveled up to level 9 for firepower), the TMP, the handgun, the punisher, the mine throwing thing, and the rifle. I have been looking for the loving blue cat's eye for a goddamn week so I can sell the chalice for mucho dinero. Only got red and green so I don't have the broken butterfly or the riot gun or anything yet (but I got the big rear end suitcase now). I was so pissed I found the free rocket launcher after defeating that machine gun boss but I coudlnt take it with me and there's no way to go back now that i got a bigger suitcase

i also have a few grenades (all types) but yeah I use every weapon and all ammo and the fucker never dies

I think your main problem was not buying the Red9 and never using another gun ever

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
dude you gotta shoot him enough then he goes "urrgh" and falls over and then you get the context thing to knife the octopus guy coming out of his back

also there is a lot of ammo lying around that room I hope you have a magnum

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

there is so much fail here i don't even know where to begin. you missed a free broken butterfly, don't use the mine layer, the punisher is also bad, i think you missed the blue cat's eye also

Mak0rz posted:

I've tried that and it didn't work, do you have to leave mid fight? I only played through on PS2 and whatever version was on PS3

Fellis fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fellis posted:

Protips:

Use Red9, or blacktail if you are gay (its ok)
Skip TMP
Skip tactical shotgun, wait for striker
Skip semi-auto sniper if you are tru hardcore gamer
There is a Broken butterfly 4 free
Save Rpg for the right hand
Carry the bass (L) as far as loving possible into the game for a cool secret

Probably more but i havent played re4 in so long, is the steam version ok?

hahaha gently caress u buddy buy the TMP but buy every upgrade and horde ammo until the island. You can kill the regenerators in like 2/3rds of a clip without dealing with rifles at all, it loving owns.

Mak0rz posted:

this bug is fixed in all post-gamecube versions. :eng99:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Contra Calculus posted:

I actually have a question I need help answering, gamers: is RE4 a great game or is it the greatest game?

I have played through RE4 like 20+ times, I lost track back in loving 2011

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
pick like 3 guns

use those 3 guns

if you have 50 guns ammo drops for all of them and you end up with not enough and you spread yourself too thin unless you own. this also applies to dead space

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Doctor Goat posted:

pick like 3 guns

use those 3 guns

if you have 50 guns ammo drops for all of them and you end up with not enough and you spread yourself too thin unless you own. this also applies to dead space

this is really good advice to make the game way less fun

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

tmp still a bad gun that takes up vital space that should be used for Black Bass (L) storage

i guess its good for shooting kneecaps but anything else is pants on head retarded

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
you can make anything work if you don't just spray ammo around everywhere and make sure to use melee attacks and knife a few fools

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
the shotgun in RE4 felt so loving good to use in that game. goddamn, i don't think any game has had a shotgun that felt as good especially when it blew some fool 10 feet back.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
The hydra shotgun in RE5 is crazy but none of the other shotguns come close unfortunately.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

the shotguns are fun, but re4 has the best pistols in videogame history, especially the red 9

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah the pistols were fantastic. I loving loved the Broken Butterfly. Just a shame there was like almost no magnum ammo ever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
the broken butterfly reloading oh god

if you used the other magnum gently caress you

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
there's literally no reason to ever use the other mangum (I think it has slightly more ammo but it does way less damage so it doesn't balance out at all). it's just there to promote killer7 and is otherwise worse in every way

magnum protip, if you upgrade a guns capacity when it's not fully loaded you get a free reload

Fellis posted:

tmp still a bad gun that takes up vital space that should be used for Black Bass (L) storage

i guess its good for shooting kneecaps but anything else is pants on head retarded

tmp owns because you get to set up melee hits/shoot objects and save your real ammo for killing dirty spanish people

it's also good for blowing up shields if you for whatever reason don't just wanna shotgun that poo poo off

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

this is really good advice to make the game way less fun

i carry tmp/fully loaded striker/red9/rifle w/ thermal scope/broken butterfly/black bass (L) usually.

if you're having ammo problems at that point in the game you need help though

more re6 stuff: whenever you converge on someone's path (sherry and leon's cross at one point) if you're playing co-op the game will detect if anyone's near there and match you up so it ends up temporarily being 4-player. crossover characters can do anything a normal teammate can do like reviving you or helping you get enemies off of you which is cool

enemy weak points are annoying. they're really not as bad as revelations where they don't make any sense but the new bastard mix of crimson head and hunter's chest is its weakness and it almost never exposes it, so there's no point. if it jumps at you and you QTE that fucker, it's an instant kill

the new enemy in the second country is the first enemy to make me feel the "oh poo poo" feeling from a game since the dogs in re4 the first time you run into them

there's also a multiplayer mode called Agent Hunt that's optional that lets people invade your games and control enemies like a bastard child of dark souls and l4d

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AHungryRobot posted:

mediocre? tell that to my gun that fires electrified exploding javelins. or my plasma cannon that will freeze enemies in a 360 degree radius around myself. dead space has some loving ridiculous weapons.

true but why upgrade any weapon that's not the plasma cutter. every other weapon was just backup for when I ran of out plasma cutter ammo.

Pomp posted:

hahaha gently caress u buddy buy the TMP but buy every upgrade and horde ammo until the island. You can kill the regenerators in like 2/3rds of a clip without dealing with rifles at all, it loving owns.

:hfive: TMP bros

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JethroMcB posted:

true but why upgrade any weapon that's not the plasma cutter. every other weapon was just backup for when I ran of out plasma cutter ammo.

max upgraded contact beam kills the thing it's aimed at. there is no question. it is dead. carrying it also makes contact beam ammo drop that's worth a hells of lot of money.

max upgraded force gun can actually kill poo poo which is a feature the unupgraded one doesn't have and you can kind of roomba around a room and shoot into the resulting pile of dudes for a bit and they all die and probably give you more ammo than you used.

max upgraded pulse rifle kills most stuff in 3-4 bursts and each ammo drop is 25 shots so it's economical as hell

another re6 thing i reminded myself of there: there's a room w/ attack bomb roombas

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
RE4 badge is my steam showcase badge because it owns

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
concerning dead space: when motorhead songs start playing in my head as I'm force gunning necrodudes across the room and have a gun that is a hovering spinning circular saw blade and then I stomp some goat-thing into the ground while the protagonist goes "motherfucker!!!" it never really was a survival horror game was it?

doesn't mean it doesn't rule though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All you need is TMP, Bolt-Action (no reload upgrades), and Red 9.
Be sure to reload after every shot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pomp posted:

this bug is fixed in all post-gamecube versions. :eng99:

what t he gently caress is this bullshit

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Didn't they also fix the ashley suplex bug? Why would you even fix that one

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
the dog hedge maze in re4 for me either goes extremely well and i hardly get hit, or extremely badly and i go through like 3 full heals. depending on how lovely the dogs feel like being for that playthrough.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

I'm not going to fault you for using the shotgun, TMP, or bolt action rifle, but the mine thrower and those two handguns aren't worth the space or money they take up.
(For the record I use the Red 9 + Stock, Semi-Auto Rifle, Striker, and Broken Butterfly)

The Cat's Eye gems are all random drops from the invisible bug guys, with blue being the rarest. You aren't guaranteed to get a blue. They don't show up after the castle either. If you find a room with the bug things in it just kill them for the gems and reload from a checkpoint if you don't get blue. Reloading from a checkpoint takes you back to the last loading zone door.

Also you totally can go back and pick up the free RPG later. I remember skipping it when I saw it first on one run-through and going back to get it before fighting Verdugo/Xenomorph/Your Right Hand Comes Off?

Another protip: Don't buy scopes for the rifles they are a waste of money and inventory space. The built in scopes are more than enough for what you use them for.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruK2ToqQdU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Concordat posted:

The Cat's Eye gems are all random drops from the invisible bug guys, with blue being the rarest. You aren't guaranteed to get a blue. They don't show up after the castle either. If you find a room with the bug things in it just kill them for the gems and reload from a checkpoint if you don't get blue. Reloading from a checkpoint takes you back to the last loading zone door.

I think there's at least 2 guaranteed blue eyes if you kill the giant hive in that one room. At least i've never missed filling a butterfly lamp if I kill the hive.

Also what's this large bass secret?!?!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I remember that if you suplex a fool when Ashley is standing right behind you, she covers her skirt and calls you a pervert. Is this true or am I remembering wrong?

Very Japanese attention to detail if true.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Laputanmachine posted:

I remember that if you suplex a fool when Ashley is standing right behind you, she covers her skirt and calls you a pervert. Is this true or am I remembering wrong?

Very Japanese attention to detail if true.

idk about suplex but I know she does it if you look up instead of catching her when she's on a higher platform.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they actually programmed a check where if Leon's line of sight ever intersects her crotch at a certain angle, she will react. They know their audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah it happened to me once when one of Salazar's goons hit Leon with a flail and knocked him down in such a way that his head landed between her ankles.

• Locked thread