Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Do both of them have to cheat, or is it like a rock/paper/scissors situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Do both of them have to cheat, or is it like a rock/paper/scissors situation?

Both of them cheating turns into a cuck singularity.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It starts with cheating and ends with a sex dungeon in on-post housing and paperwork that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
They are corpsman and med tech that hooked up during the last few weeks of a school. She reservist he active.

nacirema fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 25, 2014

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

nacirema posted:

They are corpsman and med tech that hooked up during the last few weeks of a school. She reservist he active.

Reserve/active may have a better chance, but again she's at the whim of wherever he gets PCS'd to. If she follows him to a base where there isn't a Reserve unit, which is most likely the case, she'll be footing the monthly plane ticket to wherever she drills at.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Recently been getting a lot of mixed information from people about the whole "reserves after the military" bit of the contract.

Some say that if you don't do the 8 years you're obligated to muster with a NOSC or something wherever you move to.

Others say that you pretty much fall off the face of the Earth and nothing really happens except you can get a phone call someday within the 8 years to get you back into service.

Plus there's the whole "WELL WHAT IF YOUR PLAN DOESN'T PAN OUT THE NAVY WON'T TAKE YOU BACK IN!!!" which I'm not too worried about.

Edit: Considering that the people I work with are either Officers that are getting massive paychecks from their medical degrees when they get out, HM2s and HM1s that stayed in because they're freaked out about the outside world of civilians, and HM3s/HNs that are out because of high-year tenure/contracts ran out, I don't quite trust many of them to do much beyond putting a tourniquet on someone.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

Recently been getting a lot of mixed information from people about the whole "reserves after the military" bit of the contract.

Some say that if you don't do the 8 years you're obligated to muster with a NOSC or something wherever you move to.

Others say that you pretty much fall off the face of the Earth and nothing really happens except you can get a phone call someday within the 8 years to get you back into service.

Plus there's the whole "WELL WHAT IF YOUR PLAN DOESN'T PAN OUT THE NAVY WON'T TAKE YOU BACK IN!!!" which I'm not too worried about.

Okay, here is the version that even an HM can comprehend.

Enlisted
--------
If you have a served less than 8 years active duty and are transitioning...
You owe the government either IRR time (improbable recall in today's environment) or SELRES time (drill with a unit at a NOSC/whatever other services call reserve centers)

If you have more than 8 years active duty and leave...
Congrats telling them to gently caress off because you own the government no time.

My plug for going Navy SELRES instead of IRR, if you were active you have a leg up on the people who are traditional reservists and most (except the HMs we have apparently) have a warfare device and can usually tell people to gently caress off and leave them alone. You can get cheap and reasonable coverage through TRICARE Reserve Select and you keep you Life Insurance too. If you join right after coming off active or within 6? months, you get a 2 year deferment from being involuntarily mobilized. Until last year when I made Chief, the extra drill money, cheap insurance, and easy weekends, were a great way to supplement Post-9/11 BAH money.

My 2 cents from following the Navy thread is, if you are getting out and going to school (which you should be), is try to get a bonus and maybe do a couple years in the reserve and see how you like it. For a disgruntled HM, you may enjoy the pace of the reserves more. Just remember to keep asking and referencing GIP as it seems most of y'all have terrible CoC who just want to gently caress Sailors instead of helping them. I will never understand that sentiment...

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Okay, here is the version that even an HM can comprehend.

Enlisted
--------
If you have a served less than 8 years active duty and are transitioning...
You owe the government either IRR time (improbable recall in today's environment) or SELRES time (drill with a unit at a NOSC/whatever other services call reserve centers)

If you have more than 8 years active duty and leave...
Congrats telling them to gently caress off because you own the government no time.

My plug for going Navy SELRES instead of IRR, if you were active you have a leg up on the people who are traditional reservists and most (except the HMs we have apparently) have a warfare device and can usually tell people to gently caress off and leave them alone. You can get cheap and reasonable coverage through TRICARE Reserve Select and you keep you Life Insurance too. If you join right after coming off active or within 6? months, you get a 2 year deferment from being involuntarily mobilized. Until last year when I made Chief, the extra drill money, cheap insurance, and easy weekends, were a great way to supplement Post-9/11 BAH money.

My 2 cents from following the Navy thread is, if you are getting out and going to school (which you should be), is try to get a bonus and maybe do a couple years in the reserve and see how you like it. For a disgruntled HM, you may enjoy the pace of the reserves more. Just remember to keep asking and referencing GIP as it seems most of y'all have terrible CoC who just want to gently caress Sailors instead of helping them. I will never understand that sentiment...

Oh ok, thanks Chief.

I believe Ill end up just going IRR because I want nothing to do with anything in the Navy, especially seeing how some of these dudes are just going to the reserves. Hell, they gently caress people on evals too because "you all do the same day to day stuff, you all have the same expertise" when you have a lot of people that are training and definitely understand procedures better/help fix gently caress ups more than the LPOs do.

I guess my view of "if youre an E-3 and youre doing an E-5s job, they shouldnt be deleting your work off of your brag sheet/eval but instead giving you more points so you rake their spot" is pure madness in today's age of people being afraid of made up demons.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Pandasmores posted:

I guess my view of "if youre an E-3 and youre doing an E-5s job, they shouldnt be deleting your work off of your brag sheet/eval but instead giving you more points so you rake their spot" is pure madness in today's age of people being afraid of made up demons.

You cleaned two toilets instead of one? Hell, I'd promote you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How long do you have to go to reserves after you get out and keep rank/rate and not have to do MEPS again?

For a single guy gently caress it but not a bad gig for family folk who need the Tricare and have a wife with fibromyalgia and migraines that needs her narcs

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm not sure how the Navy works, but ARNG (and probably Army Reserve) will keep your pay grade even after long breaks in service. I know of at least one guy who had a 9 year break from AD > ARNG and kept his E-5.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I want to say you lose your job/paygrade after 6-9 months in the Navy

darknation
Jan 5, 2008
do you have any ketamine?
What's the general perception or opinion foreign troops have of Australian Special Forces (or AU/NZ serving in general)?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Christoff posted:

How long do you have to go to reserves after you get out and keep rank/rate and not have to do MEPS again?

For a single guy gently caress it but not a bad gig for family folk who need the Tricare and have a wife with fibromyalgia and migraines that needs her narcs

What are you asking, exactly? How is tricare related to keeping your rank/rate/MEPS? There is Active Duty, Active Reserve, and Inactive Reserve. Last time I bothered to look into it there are different tricare packages available for reserve/IRR.

darknation posted:

What's the general perception or opinion foreign troops have of Australian Special Forces (or AU/NZ serving in general)?

They're like American military but they talk funny.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought in the Navy there was a time period where if you wanted to re-enlist or go reserves you'd have lost your rank/rating

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

I thought in the Navy there was a time period where if you wanted to re-enlist or go reserves you'd have lost your rank/rating

Dunno, but my reserve unit's got a couple enlisted guys with 10 year gaps in service who came back at their old rates.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Christoff posted:

I think it's mighty weird that one branch would do the reserves completely different than every other branch.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

darknation posted:

All it takes is a very subtle hand gesture and we are trading weapons and and going "these are cool". and they talk funny.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

darknation posted:

Loyal, competent, trustworthy, and dependable. Can be counted on to follow through on assignments & not gently caress them up. Party hard. Do moustache march in November.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Carteret posted:

I think it's mighty weird that one branch would do the reserves completely different than every other branch.

The Navy only has reserves because the other branches do. You can't use Reserve sailors for poo poo other than shipyard firewatches and gateguards.

And don't give me that 'mobilize old ships from the boneyard and crew them with old reservists' poo poo, real life isn't a transforming robot movie

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy only has reserves because the other branches do. You can't use Reserve sailors for poo poo other than shipyard firewatches and gateguards.

And don't give me that 'mobilize old ships from the boneyard and crew them with old reservists' poo poo, real life isn't a transforming robot movie

I can't tell if this is a serious post.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought Battleship was a documentary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah those 80 year old dudes were in the reserves

When poo poo was still going on in Iraq/Afghanistan Navy reservist did a ton of deployments and also IAs for the Army. Granted usually poo poo not related to their job.

Although I didn't see any I'm sure when a ship deploys there's a handful of reservist hot filling billets?

At any rate. Does anyone have an actual answer to the question?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

When I was in Afghanistan, a whole bunch of SeaBees showed up on my FOB outta nowhere and told us that they were there to build us a new compound. They hung around for a while, mooched off our food and gym, didn't build anything, and then left. <:mad:>

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

When I was in Afghanistan, a whole bunch of SeaBees showed up on my FOB outta nowhere and told us that they were there to build us a new compound. They hung around for a while, mooched off our food and gym, didn't build anything, and then left. <:mad:>

But how did they drive their ships in the mountains :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

When poo poo was still going on in Iraq/Afghanistan Navy reservist did a ton of deployments and also IAs for the Army. Granted usually poo poo not related to their job.

Although I didn't see any I'm sure when a ship deploys there's a handful of reservist hot filling billets?

At any rate. Does anyone have an actual answer to the question?

Like I said, we just had an ISC retire with 20something years of service who enlisted in the Ford administration and I've got an IS1 who just joined the reserves with at least a 10 year gap since he was active, all he had to do was get his clearance back. As far as I can tell you get to keep your rate after any amount of time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

zombie303 posted:

I don't know, I think they were lost. Like uhhh, the Gulf of Oman is that way, guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zombie303 posted:

They're called "amphibs" you dummy.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've run into NR intel dudes (ISwhatever) who actually get to do their job; pretty cool unit actually. On the other hand, the NR guys that share my building seem to do nothing but check IDs at the door and police call the parking lot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Like I said, we just had an ISC retire with 20something years of service who enlisted in the Ford administration and I've got an IS1 who just joined the reserves with at least a 10 year gap since he was active, all he had to do was get his clearance back. As far as I can tell you get to keep your rate after any amount of time.

Alright, thanks. The reserves guy didn't show up at TRS and anyone I've asked has no idea or I hear 6-9 months

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Reenlist into a USMCR unit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

All USMC units should be reserve units

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Christoff posted:

gently caress yeah, that's my plan.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Activate only when an amphibious assault is necessary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey I think the Army can do those?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Army developed the doctrine for it. ;)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK, the Army conducted more amphibious landings during WWII. Also, D-Day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:thejoke:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVibtTjReu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Christoff posted: