Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

The other thing I don't quite understand about hardcore Firefly fans is that Serenity exists and as far as I'm concerned that's about all that was needed. Serenity is a ridiculously well-executed sci-fi film and also the last anyone should want out of that setting.

Serenity actually makes me ok with how short Firefly's run as a series was because of how atrociously loving terrible it was.

It'd be great it more shows died before they had the chance to become awful. Firefly is just the most extreme example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

River is such a great character.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just saw a gif that makes me want to check out The Blacklist. I'll have to get the DVD's before the new season starts.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Carnivale is awesome. Behold my avatar and despair. (heyyyyyyy that works on two levels :haw:)

And speaking of Carnivale, look what I found in an antique store yesterday for $2.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

Serenity actually makes me ok with how short Firefly's run as a series was because of how atrociously loving terrible it was.

It'd be great it more shows died before they had the chance to become awful. Firefly is just the most extreme example.
Season 2 of Firefly was gonna have an episode when Inara got raped by Reavers so yeah I'm glad it only went one season.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

River is such a great character.

Whether you're referring to Firefly or Doctor Who, you are terribly, horribly wrong.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Spatula City posted:

Whether you're referring to Firefly or Doctor Who, you are terribly, horribly wrong.

Only 1/2 wrong. Firefly River was annoying. River Song was awesome.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
IMHO one of the worst things about Firefly is that the fandom that sprung up in its wake was responsible for Dollhouse getting way more chances than it deserved, including getting renewed at the expense of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Even hardcore Whedonites will admit that most of Dollhouse was garbage now, but while it was airing they were strung along by constant assurances from the man that the show was getting good now, that it wasn't his fault that the show had been terrible up until that point, that it just needed another episode, another season...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked Dollhouse once the Fox mandated episode of the week stopped.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Nope. Only 1/3 of it was bad. The rest was fascinating, daring, and effectively rebooted the series in a new, more somber direction.
I will concede there were too many dumb jokes at Strax's expense. And the dinosaur was pointless.
But Peter Capaldi owns and will be the best Doctor of the revival. :colbert:

Also, thank you all for your opinions, I shall watch Sleepy Hollow first, then Carnivale, then Broad City, then Caprica. It's nice to have a prioritized list. :unsmith:

Capaldi is good in preety much anything, but I think the only good parts were the ones in the restaurant jusssst before the stupid victorian ninja poo poo. I'm just tired of Moffat's bullshit writing I suppose (please tell us again how the Doctor totally would begrudgingly (but not really) kill someone for the 345th time) Honestly, this episode felt like it was made for the tumblr crowd (which could be? Do most who fans have a tumblr?) including an evil River Song.

There is so much good TV right now that I don't feel the need to watch crap anymore.

Also, your list up there is spot-on, don't know about Caprica, never watched it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

Serenity is a fine end to the show, but for me the show ends if you take Out of Gas and leave it for a finale. Or even the actual show finale is fine. That's my dumb head canon; everyone on the show lives to fight another day and they all smile as they fly away on Serenity.

Firefly is not lovely television in any sense, but it's not anywhere close to the highest of high. The problem is until recently people were still making it the end-all-be-all of television, when there were plenty of better shows before and during its run.

Vincent posted:

Capaldi is good in preety much anything, but I think the only good parts were the ones in the restaurant jusssst before the stupid victorian ninja poo poo. I'm just tired of Moffat's bullshit writing I suppose (please tell us again how the Doctor totally would begrudgingly (but not really) kill someone for the 345th time) Honestly, this episode felt like it was made for the tumblr crowd (which could be? Do most who fans have a tumblr?) including an evil River Song.
Moffat is always guilty of writing way too indulgently (amongst other things). Like the S3 premiere of Sherlock was just him making GBS threads on tumblr and the fandom because of their theories.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BoJack Horseman got a second season, but I promise to only be half as insufferable about it as Azure_Horizon was about The Borgias.

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-rides-bojack-horesman-second-season-208576

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

precision posted:

Season 2 fixed that, in my opinion. And season 2 doesn't make sense without watching season 1.

It's a lot more worth watching than Dr. Who, that's for sure! :haw:

Season 2 is a really nice payoff season.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
All of you who elected not to watch Tyrant made a great choice. The entire season builds up to a coup orchestrated by main character to wrest control of the country from his brother. Instead, the coup doesn't happen, and everyone just sits around talking to each other like every other loving episode.\

e: Spoiler tags are hard :downs:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Firefly is the perfect example of something with good episodes that was nevertheless not a great show.

I didn't really think the episodes were that great either.

JohnSherman posted:

Jericho was being outperformed in the ratings department by the second season of Ghost Whisperer, which aired on a Friday at 8pm. In terms of CBS' lineup, it was a pretty poor showing and only got worse during the second season. Jericho is a lesson that listening to fan campaigns is a really lovely idea.

e: Going through old programming lineups is absolutely hilarious, by the way. It really hammers home how forgettable most television shows are.

If it weren't for these forums I wouldn't have ever known Enlisted existed, or a few other shows for that matter.

Vincent posted:

Wasn't the "evil River Song" the lady badguy from a couple seasons ago who sent actual River Song back to kill the Doctor or something? That particular part of the show's run is so unmemorable that it's just kind of a blur.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 27, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Season 2 of Firefly was gonna have an episode when Inara got raped by Reavers so yeah I'm glad it only went one season.

Wait what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

All of you who elected not to watch Tyrant made a great choice. The entire season builds up to a coup orchestrated by main character to wrest control of the country from his brother. Instead, the coup doesn't happen, and everyone just sits around talking to each other like every other loving episode.\

e: Spoiler tags are hard :downs:

Glad I bailed after like 4 episodes then. It had promise, but quickly turned into clearly just spinning its wheels and ~family drama~.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

Wasn't the "evil River Song" the lady badguy from a couple seasons ago who sent actual River Song back to kill the Doctor or something? That particular part of the show's run is so unmemorable that it's just kind of a blur.
No, somehow Moffat had some restraint (we're grading on a curve here) and made her just sort of a regular villain, because all she did was kidnap a baby who ended up being River Song to train her as an assassin and then the whole hilarious cascading bullshit begins because for some reason the Doctor has to die so why not use River Song and all that. And then IIRC something about her not being the ultimate villain and there was someone else manipulating her for reasons because I think she was never really truly a villain or something ridiculously convoluted in a show already about time travel :psyduck:

I really don't remember, except probably she maybe actually was a villain and Moffat hated (and still hates) two-parters so we have to suffer with him cramming too much dumb lore into 42 minutes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, remember when that one guy said River Song was 'awesome'? Ha.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Re: Moral Orel, this show has been fun so far, oh jesus christ what the gently caress am i watching

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

While Serenity is indeed excellent, I don't think you can really take it as reflective of how Firefly would have turned out if it continued. One 2 hour film and an ongoing series are going to differ inherently in many ways.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Re: Moral Orel, this show has been fun so far, oh jesus christ what the gently caress am i watching

I posted this just before starting season 3. How little did I know. Oh God, oh God.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Watch Spectacular Spider-Man. It's better than Batman: TAS and everything the character should be.

Also the catchiest title song ever produced.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Only 1/2 wrong. Firefly River was annoying. River Song was awesome.

Agreed. I love River Song, in fact I'd say she's the closest we've come to a female Doctor. She's also my wife's favorite character of the reboot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed. I love River Song, in fact I'd say she's the closest we've come to a female Doctor. She's also my wife's favorite character of the reboot.

Like most things Moffat, she overstayed her welcome.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How's American Horror Story?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kurtofan posted:

Season 2 > Season 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Season 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Season 3 was a mess because they were laying the groundwork for an aborted spinoff. As a result, it never gained any momentum and just meandered from one thing to another.

Hopefully they learned their lesson and Season 4 will be a return to form. It better since it is Jessica Lange's last season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I read an article today saying that she is considering doing another season because she's having so much fun with this one.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Kurtofan posted:

Batshit insane in the best possible way. The pilot will pretty much hook you and each episode flows at a breakneck pace. Also each season is independent of the last so even though season 3 sucks it doesn't matter.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BSam posted:

I posted this just before starting season 3. How little did I know. Oh God, oh God.

Moral Orel probably shouldn't exist, but I am so unbelievably glad it does. Such a hosed up yet incredible show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

I read an article today saying that she is considering doing another season because she's having so much fun with this one.

That would be great if they keep the quality up.

Between this and Fargo, I'm liking the sort of self contained seasons with their own independent story. Something about knowing the payoff will come right away is fun.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kurtofan posted:

It's a bit like Caprica, but with a much faster plot as it is a miniseries.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ravane posted:

It's a bit like Caprica, but with a much faster plot as it is a miniseries.

Is that good? Caprica, I mean.

It's a shame for season 3 as the "theme" (Coven) really interested me, oh well I'll check out the other two seasons, thanks.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kurtofan posted:

Is that good? Caprica, I mean.

It's a shame for season 3 as the "theme" (Coven) really interested me, oh well I'll check out the other two seasons, thanks.

Pay no attention to the cynical people here; Caprica, although short-lived, was a unique and enthralling take on science-fiction. It's a rare goodie that's quite often overlooked.

It covers interplanetary racial conflicts, the ethical grey areas of virtual reality, and the birth of a monotheistic religion in a place where polytheism is ubiquitous. It also covers the slow birth and complications of artificial intelligence, as well as seemingly immoralistic situation of robotics research being funded by governing entities (One of the main characters wishes to introduce robots into every aspect of civilian life to aid others, but only the government can provide him with the research to do this and in return, he must produce weaponized variants for military use.)

It's a plethora of ideas, but due to its early demise, the show never had the chance to expand on them. It's worth a watch.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From here:

quote:

But also, we learned part of Inara's huge secret: she's dying of some terminal disease, which is only vaguely hinted at in one episode. And executive producer Tim Minear explained about one episode that Joss Whedon pitched early on:

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'

Yeah, Inara was basically gonna go through the same treatment of every other Whedon woman.
At least Kaylee's safe.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

From here:

Yeah, Inara was basically gonna go through the same treatment of every other Whedon woman.
At least Kaylee's safe.

To be fair this was during a pitch meeting, when all sorts of dumb poo poo gets thrown around. Firefly changed a lot, specifically becomming more light hearted since Tim was first brought on board.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

By the way, I wasn't saying I'm a fan of Firefly, I meant simply I was shocked Jericho has more diehard fans than Firefly, which has always seemed like the ultimate cult show with the most rabid fanbase.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't underestimate Skeet Ulrich's fanbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So turns out Bojack Horseman is unwatchable. Avoid. Had to cut out before the first episode was done. gently caress that, I'm behind on The Knick.

How's the new Flash show going? Any better than Arrow (which I also bailed out on)?

• Locked thread