Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

The skinned dog and the unhinged fatherly advice about cosmetics and poo poo like that, eegh... it's not funny or edgy, it's just creepy-crawly.

Pilot Doc was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay creepier and also kinda gay. I believe its discussed in the commentaries that Doc changes the most out of all the characters between pilot and series. That and the Monarch and Dr Girlfriend weren't intended to be the main villains.

Way back in the first Venture Thread (geez I can't believe I remember this), some of us speculated that "Phantom Limb" would have been a great name for a, uh, post-op super-villain group. I can't believe I remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TK-42-1 posted:

"They're robot bones!"

I grew up watching Johnny Quest with my dad and was hooked immediately. It only got better as they kind of moved away from the straight parody into their own stride.

I imagine having watched Johnny Quest as a kid helps hook people in. There's a much more straight Johnny Quest parody in the first episode of Freakazoid that I look back on and can't figure out how anybody who hasn't watched a lot of Johnny Quest makes heads or tails of it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a much more straight Johnny Quest parody in the first episode of Freakazoid that I look back on and can't figure out how anybody who hasn't watched a lot of Johnny Quest makes heads or tails of it.

Yeah, I "got" that Toby Danger was a parody of Johnny Quest when I was 10 (It helped that it debuted right when the Turner networks were running that Quest TV movie ad infinitum,) but I didn't "get" it until many, many years after the fact.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pope Guilty posted:

I imagine having watched Johnny Quest as a kid helps hook people in. There's a much more straight Johnny Quest parody in the first episode of Freakazoid that I look back on and can't figure out how anybody who hasn't watched a lot of Johnny Quest makes heads or tails of it.

Just let me throw a barrel at it!

I remembered that for years until I actually got to watch Jonny Quest and it all came together.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

SRM posted:

Just let me throw a barrel at it!

I didn't watch the first season of VB because I figured it would only be a constant retread of that skit. I finally caved when the second season premiered, watched the first ep of that and the watched the entire first season to try and figure out what the gently caress was even going on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sash! posted:

Pilot Doc was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay creepier and also kinda gay. I believe its discussed in the commentaries that Doc changes the most out of all the characters between pilot and series. That and the Monarch and Dr Girlfriend weren't intended to be the main villains.

I don't know if it was so much that he was "kind gay" as it was that in the pilot, Doc seems to be sort of "stuck" in the 60's/70's mindset along with the boys.

But I do remember watching the pilot and liking it, and then being really happy when i read it was picked up for a season, but I was also only like 18/19, and looking back now, yeah, it's hit and miss.

And then I tried to get a couple friends into the show after the first season aired and Adult Swim was showing reruns, and the first episode they watched was "Careers in Science," which, while much more enjoyable to me now, really is a terrible episode to start on...Hell, not even a good episode to watch second (which I think was it's original broadcast order.)

The best episodes to get someone into VB, if you're starting with the first season, are Tag Sale: You're It!, Ghosts of the Sargasso, and Eeney, Meeny, Miney...Magic!

Honorable mention goes to Home Insecurity.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Shindragon posted:

It is also my favorite episode because you get a glimpse of what the Venture Brothers adventures are when the most we get is them talking about it.

The throwing gun bit kills me.

You gotta stop doing that, you have more bullets ya know.

Yeah i know but it looked cool.

Well GO get it.

Finnnnnnnnne.

Goddammit. I just marathoned season 2 with a couple of friends who are new to the series last weekend, and decided to stream through Netflix for convenience's sake instead of use my DVDs. Apparently, though, the versions on there are edited, because that scene was missing. I thought something was wrong when the bit with Caligula fishing a key out of his rear end didn't show up, but that clinches it. Why the gently caress would they do that? It's not like they have to squeeze in more commercials or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Goddammit. I just marathoned season 2 with a couple of friends who are new to the series last weekend, and decided to stream through Netflix for convenience's sake instead of use my DVDs. Apparently, though, the versions on there are edited, because that scene was missing. I thought something was wrong when the bit with Caligula fishing a key out of his rear end didn't show up, but that clinches it. Why the gently caress would they do that? It's not like they have to squeeze in more commercials or something.
Venture Bros: The bit with Caligula fishing a key out of his rear end didn't show up.

(They're edited? That's awful. I am glad I own them on DVD and haven't gotten the urge to rewatch lately, because I'd be disappointed!)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Breaking Bad is censored and missing scenes on Netflix too.

Bit odd.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I watched both of these eps on Netflix earlier today, and both those scenes are there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I wish Netflix would get more Venture Brothers, 'cause I'm not carrying my DVDs around.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

What region are you in because that scene is still there when I just watched it. (I'm in the US)

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Ohtsam posted:

What region are you in because that scene is still there when I just watched it. (I'm in the US)

I'm in the US, but pretty sure neither of those scenes were in when I watched. Hell, at this point I'm starting to doubt myself.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'm in the US, but pretty sure neither of those scenes were in when I watched. Hell, at this point I'm starting to doubt myself.

I recently rewatched the entirety of Venture Brothers and both of those scenes were definitely, 100% guaranteed present on Netflix.

I went and confirmed it after reading this thread, even. Both "cut" moments happen within the first two minutes.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 17, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
They are even missing entire episodes. Return to the House of Mummies Part 1 isn't even listed. :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But that sets up all the context!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if it was so much that he was "kind gay" as it was that in the pilot, Doc seems to be sort of "stuck" in the 60's/70's mindset along with the boys.

I thought he was pretty explicitly supposed to be gay for Brock, like maybe his hand lingered on him for weirdly long for a second or something? Christ these memories are like nine years old. It was parodying the "special relationship" implied between Doctor Quest and his bodyguard (an unmarried bachelor who raises Johnny with a male bodyguard). That was the element that was too on the nose for me in the plot, took it from "parody of early sixties adventure/science fiction" to "parody of the show Johnny Quest'', I'm very glad they dropped it.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 26, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CoolCab posted:

I thought he was pretty explicitly supposed to be gay for Brock, like maybe his hand lingered on him for weirdly long for a second or something? Christ these memories are like nine years old. It was parodying the "special relationship" implied between Doctor Quest and his bodyguard (an unmarried bachelor who raises Johnny with a male bodyguard). That was the element that was too on the nose for me in the plot, took it from "parody of early sixties adventure/science fiction" to "parody of the show Johnny Quest'', I'm very glad they dropped it.

Of course we're a couple! A couple of guys!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I hated the pilot when it premiered. I saw what they were going for, but I just didn't think it was funny.

I forget when I turned around on it, but I think it was after I caught a random episode from the second season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CoolCab posted:

I thought he was pretty explicitly supposed to be gay for Brock, like maybe his hand lingered on him for weirdly long for a second or something?

Yeah, there's a lot of gestures and body language towards Brock. And even some dialogue that could be...construed that way.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

HOW CAN I GUARD YOUR BODY IF I CANT BE CLOSE TO YOUR BODY?????

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
What if he's the actual god Zeus? Literally Zeus, all pissed off that no one cares about Zeus anymore?

This episode is great.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

That line always pops into my head whenever lightning strikes particularly close.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JT Jag posted:

What if he's the actual god Zeus? Literally Zeus, all pissed off that no one cares about Zeus anymore?

This episode is great.

I'm sad Treister is gone with the peepee cansckers. Toby Huss did an amazing job with that role.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

TK-42-1 posted:

I'm sad Treister is gone with the peepee cansckers. Toby Huss did an amazing job with that role.

I still hold out hope that he'll return to us alive and well thanks to ALIEN TECK-NOLOGY

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Toby Huss can't not be great.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Chibs posted:

I still hold out hope that he'll return to us alive and well thanks to ALIEN TECK-NOLOGY

Are you saying they'll FIX IT! ?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

grilldos posted:

Toby Huss can't not be great.

He is, after all, the Strongest Man...in the World!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, I just had to look that up, and I can't believe it's the same person.
EDIT: He's Khan in King of the Hill too. I hate that show, but he's done a lot of things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DrBouvenstein posted:

ahaha holy crap

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Huss is also really good in Down Periscope.

IUG posted:

Holy poo poo, I just had to look that up, and I can't believe it's the same person.
EDIT: He's Khan in King of the Hill too. I hate that show, but he's done a lot of things.

Not to derail the Venture Brothers thread, but holy poo poo, how can a person hate King of the Hill?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How much direct experience do you have with rednecks? It is easy not to like that show if you can't stand rednecks, despite how good the writing may or may not be. I, for one, can't stand watching them even if it's satire, so sadly I'm missing out on Trailer Park Boys as well.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup, and it also ruined Cars and Cars 2 for me. But specifically KotH, I just can't stand the characters or the plot from the few episodes I've seen. 90% of the time (I had a GF who watched it), the plot seems to center on "look at these characters be socially awkward or stubborn". Which I guess is Venture Brothers too, but at least it's a sci-fi action setting. KotH is just boring south/midwest or wherever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you don't like King of the Hill, try watching it in the same mindset as you'd watch Seinfeld or Arrested Development, where everybody is terrible and you're laughing at how awful they are.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Actually, everyone on King of the Hill Owns

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Guilty posted:

If you don't like King of the Hill, try watching it in the same mindset as you'd watch Seinfeld or Arrested Development, where everybody is terrible and you're laughing at how awful they are.

Except Boomhauer, he's a saint.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Guilty posted:

Eh, if the characters aren't relate-able in some way, you're just not invested. At least you could sympathize with Jerry or George in some situations, or recall that you'd been there before.

King of the Hill (or any show) doesn't seem fun to watch as a 'ha ha, look at these terrible people' endeavor.

Plus, the animation sucks.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
King of the Hill spends an awful lot of time doing the Simpsons seasons 1-9 bit of having real touching personal moments between family and friends in the final moments of episodes, playing on the relateability of the characters. Seinfeld, while also relatable, never reaches this level. To argue the latter is more sympathetic than the former can only be the result of having barely seen any of King of the Hill.

Just say you can't get over the show being about southern stereotypes and you never gave it a fair shake. It's fine to say that. I was that way for a decade.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

How much direct experience do you have with rednecks? It is easy not to like that show if you can't stand rednecks, despite how good the writing may or may not be. I, for one, can't stand watching them even if it's satire, so sadly I'm missing out on Trailer Park Boys as well.

I was born in Texas and lived there, Mississippi, and Alabama, so I've been around more than my fair share of rednecks, hillbillies, and yokels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

No wonder I hate king of the hill. I always hear people talk about how great it is, but i never liked it. Also, Seinfeld. Maybe it's cause I grew up hating people from NYC too.

Differences in what people find funny/good is always interesting.