Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I immediately judge anybody using a paper towel to open a door and will never take you seriously as a man. Moving on.

Helushune posted:

Looks like our primary virtual host at our colo keeled over today. I sent a force reboot but it's not coming back. To make things better, they're doing heavy construction in Seattle, shut down a main road, and are redirecting traffic all by where I need to go. I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll probably add about two hours on to the commute down there. I continue to be living proof that Murphy's Law is real.

You dudes don't have anybody local on site at your colo? Might be worth it to have a weekly rotation or something for these exact reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

internet jerk posted:

I immediately judge anybody using a paper towel to open a door and will never take you seriously as a man. Moving on.

Anyone else want the last word?

vvvvv ok that's actually funny

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 27, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

No they don't we can talk about other things now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

internet jerk posted:

I do this every single time. Go ahead, judge my manliness. :getin:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

I do this every single time. Go ahead, judge my manliness. :getin:

You don't count. You're a seal. :colbert:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I will gladly breathe anyones farts.

However, I will not breathe the toner that's all over the inside of one of our old printers. I have quite enjoyed not having cancer so far.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Yay vmworld, nothing like walking in to take a piss and seeing a guy blasting away with no hands because he's got a fully loaded swag bag on one and a goddamn ice cream cone in the other!

The real question here is how did he unzip with both hands full?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I know i'm late to the conversation, but as a self admitted introvert, I kinda get how people don't like responding in the halls. That said, saying "hiya" in response to "Hi" or "yeah you" in response to "you alright?" is pretty easy to get used to and requires absolutely no thought process.

But you shouldn't get to worked up over it in either case.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Erwin posted:

Actually the question should be, how did he zip back up?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Erwin posted:

I like to think that he was wandering the convention with his full and frank opinion swinging in the breeze the whole time.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Raerlynn posted:

That ice-cream isn't going to suck lick itself.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Raerlynn posted:

Sweatpants.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Raerlynn posted:

You people, assuming he was wearing pants to begin with. :allears:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
So we're inordinately nice and fuzzy at this new job, and we do a full backup of everybody's local data, because people will not stop using PSTs. (that's a whole different thing.)

Anyway, we're switching from Symantec to Mirage, and I set up a quick push to throw the new client on everybody's PC on their next reboot two weeks ago. It's been a nice trickle in, except for these five retards that won't reboot.

I've been e-mailing them every other day (soon to be every day) with strongly-worded messages about how they need to reboot or they're not going to get backed up, and nada. Our old backup solution goes offline on Friday and these chucklefucks are severely pissing me off. It takes 30 loving seconds, we don't use roaming profiles or anything.

My current draft of the next message they're getting:

“If you do not reboot by close of business today, your computer will not be backed up. In the event your computer suffers a hardware failure, is damaged or lost, all your data will be unrecoverable. This will include your e-mail archives, your locally stored documents and your locally stored pictures. There will be no alternative or backup method for data restoration unless you reboot as soon as possible. Also I hate you, and I may dban your system for fun.”

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

because people will not stop using PSTs. (that's a whole different thing.)

You can stop them being created using Group Policy. I did.

You can stop people writing new data to PSTs they already have. I did.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

“If you do not reboot by close of business today, your computer will not be backed up. In the event your computer suffers a hardware failure, is damaged or lost, all your data will be unrecoverable. This will include your e-mail archives, your locally stored documents and your locally stored pictures. There will be no alternative or backup method for data restoration unless you reboot as soon as possible. Also I hate you, and I may will dban your system for fun.”

Skip all that "possible bad things happening" and go straight to TREMBLE AND OBEY!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

So we're inordinately nice and fuzzy at this new job, and we do a full backup of everybody's local data, because people will not stop using PSTs. (that's a whole different thing.)

Anyway, we're switching from Symantec to Mirage, and I set up a quick push to throw the new client on everybody's PC on their next reboot two weeks ago. It's been a nice trickle in, except for these five retards that won't reboot.

I've been e-mailing them every other day (soon to be every day) with strongly-worded messages about how they need to reboot or they're not going to get backed up, and nada. Our old backup solution goes offline on Friday and these chucklefucks are severely pissing me off. It takes 30 loving seconds, we don't use roaming profiles or anything.

My current draft of the next message they're getting:

“If you do not reboot by close of business today, your computer will not be backed up. In the event your computer suffers a hardware failure, is damaged or lost, all your data will be unrecoverable. This will include your e-mail archives, your locally stored documents and your locally stored pictures. There will be no alternative or backup method for data restoration unless you reboot as soon as possible. Also I hate you, and I may dban your system for fun.”

"At close of business on Friday your computer will be rebooted. Make sure everything you are working on is saved by that time."

Issue a remote reboot command, then drink.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My boss wants me to be updated on everything he's working on since I am basically taking over most of what he does since we're all kinda taking one step up the ladder.

His approach is basically for me to sit on a god damned open line with him all day. I've been listening to him call other people for half an hour. I'm just sitting on mute, listening to him call people to tell them to contact me about ongoing issues. Ostensibly we're on this call to discuss the issues but oh my lord what a waste of everyone's time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

"At close of business on Friday your computer will be rebooted. Make sure everything you are working on is saved by that time."

Issue a remote reboot command, then drink.

This. Make sure that there's some sort of affirmation that they've read this, or CC their managers.

Also, make sure that they're not out sick or something!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Today's piss boiler: Not using a $1m Data Warehouse to aggregate data and trying to make a system that is already overloaded do further processing of data that the Data Warehouse will take a copy off. "Oh but we are busy" the owners of that system say. Well gently caress you so am I.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

This. Make sure that there's some sort of affirmation that they've read this, or CC their managers.

Also, make sure that they're not out sick or something!

Send their manager an email summarizing the dates that you've previously sent out notice. Be politic: "I know everyone's really busy", "PTO", "Training", whatever.

"A needs to get done or else B will occur with C consequences". Request acknowledgement. Resend it every two business hours for the next 24 hours. No response? Escalate further, and send it to the manager's manager.

You will only have to send that once, twice if the manager's manager is out of office.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 27, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Scaramouche posted:

The piss particles will reach Mars sometime next July. Nobody's going to want to touch that rover.

You are breathing someones piss particles right now. We all are.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

If you shake a dudes hand, you are proxy touching his dick. Think about it, guys.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

More poo poo that pisses you off: touching dicks all day by proxy

edit: lets take this a step further, you realize how man times a day do you touch your face? Well thats how many times a day dicks are touching your face, you have multiple dicks all over your face all day.

Vvv more poo poo that pisses you off: touching kevin bacon's dick

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

After six handshakes, you've touched Kevin Bacon's dick. A couple more and you're touching actual dinosaur dick.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MF_James posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: touching dicks all day by proxy

edit: lets take this a step further, you realize how man times a day do you touch your face? Well thats how many times a day dicks are touching your face, you have multiple dicks all over your face all day.

Vvv more poo poo that pisses you off: touching kevin bacon's dick

Let's go further. The moment you pee? That's right; dicks touching dicks.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Volmarias posted:

:aaaaa:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volmarias posted:

If you shake a woman's hand, is that basically sex? Since she probably has touched her vagina at some point while in the bathroom, or touched her underwear and by proxy her vagina.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

These realizations are pretty much on level with any other important scientific factual discoveries. My whole outlook changed today.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Drinking water? Man that's like using a dick as a water fountain.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

More poo poo that pisses you off: Dicks everywhere, touching everything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Drinking water? Man that's like using a dick as a water fountain.

Office refrigerator? More like office dicksicle dispenser.

Coffee maker? How about a nice warm cup of dicks?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Next time I see the HR gal drinking coffee... Nnnnggggg.

Rawkzo
Aug 16, 2013

MF_James posted:

If you shake a woman's hand, is that basically sex? Since she probably has touched her vagina at some point while in the bathroom, or touched her underwear and by proxy her vagina.

Fierce, short hand shakes for everyone.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
this is weird guys

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

this is weird guys

No kidding.

I think I may be homosexual without realising it.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

internet jerk posted:

You dudes don't have anybody local on site at your colo? Might be worth it to have a weekly rotation or something for these exact reasons.

We're incredibly small (I'm one of two FTEs in IT), only have a quarter rack, and my department refuses to let me pay for remote hands despite our aging servers. To them, having me go down there for two hours of overtime and comping my mileage + parking is better than paying $5/mo or whatever it is for remote hands.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

No kidding.

I think I may be homosexual without realising it.

Well you've touched enough dick :colbert:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Official SH/SC Dickchat Thread Twenty-Fourteen

On an unrelated note, one of my blade servers went down overnight. ILO was online but the system wouldn't respond to the virtual or physical power buttons. The data center technician pulled out the blade, blew into the connectors, popped it back in and it booted up fine.

I'm torn between :stare: and :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Didn't know Nintendo made rack-mount servers.