Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm glad I like the Joker cos i would be legit happy if he came back in AK, despite the amount of hate he gets in this thread.

PS. sup 660 krew :( Currently wondering if I should just say gently caress it and get a ps4 or spend the moeny towards upgrading my rig :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm glad I like the Joker cos i would be legit happy if he came back in AK, despite the amount of hate he gets in this thread.

I'm sure most people like the Joker and his portrayal in the games, they're just tired of him not only returning in each game but taking over the plot and becoming the main villain.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Especially since his main plan is always "Blow up stuff because it amuses me". They really missed a golden opportunity in City and Origins. Ra's and Hugo had wider aspirations and Black Mask already had control of the city. Those could've been interesting writing angles to explore.

Really, despite Origins' story generally being cited as the best in the series, it seems kinda lazy in some areas if you look at it.

Like, whatever happened to Alberto Falcone? And for that matter, how did Penguin kidnap him without any kind of retribution or action whatsoever from the Falcone family?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like, whatever happened to Alberto Falcone? And for that matter, how did Penguin kidnap him without any kind of retribution or action whatsoever from the Falcone family?

Penguin's crew was armed to the teeth, so there's no way the Falcones could have launched a war against Penguin without taking some heavy losses, and with Batman running around, even the guys who survived probably would have gotten tossed in prison sooner or later, war or not. I imagine Alberto just took advantage of Batman pushing Penguin into the corner to go back to the family and go underground.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

how did Penguin kidnap him without any kind of retribution or action whatsoever from the Falcone family?
Penguin's loving gigantic "stealth" drones still make me smile.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's dumb that they kind of left it hanging in the game, but if you listen to all of the Riddler's secret audio tapes and have read The Long Halloween comic you'd know that Alberto goes on to try to become a super-villain himself. Also, the Falcone family is supposed to be one of the last few "legit" crime syndicates in Gotham, and they're slowly being pushed out by super-criminals, so presumably they're in no position to retaliate against anyone.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure most people like the Joker and his portrayal in the games, they're just tired of him not only returning in each game but taking over the plot and becoming the main villain.

Pretty much this.

Joker was great in Asylum and City but after being 3/3 as a main villain (arguably 50% main villain in City admittedly) it's getting repetitive.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Phylodox posted:

It's dumb that they kind of left it hanging in the game, but if you listen to all of the Riddler's secret audio tapes and have read The Long Halloween comic you'd know that Alberto goes on to try to become a super-villain himself.

Well, I know that's what WILL happen, but the extortion data seems to be a call to the real Black Mask and had to have taken place before Christmas.

That being said, what happens to Alberto after Batman beats up Deathstroke is what I'm concerned about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phylodox posted:

It's dumb that they kind of left it hanging in the game, but if you listen to all of the Riddler's secret audio tapes and have read The Long Halloween comic you'd know that Alberto goes on to try to become a super-villain himself. Also, the Falcone family is supposed to be one of the last few "legit" crime syndicates in Gotham, and they're slowly being pushed out by super-criminals, so presumably they're in no position to retaliate against anyone.

The audio logs are all of stuff that happened before the game, not during it. The Falcone family plotline goes nowhere- they just wanted to shoehorn in a reference to The Long Halloween. There are a lot of really contrived or forced events in the AO plotline.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, what happens to Alberto after Batman beats up Deathstroke is what I'm concerned about.

He escapes, presumably back to his family. Alberto was kidnapped and his family sent people to get him sometime before you get on board (the rooms prior to the theater have some of Falcone's men killed)

After that really isn't explained, but seriously, the game only runs for a few more hours, so the Falcones waiting to strike back after a giant blizzard isn't a huge logical leap.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

He escapes, presumably back to his family. Alberto was kidnapped and his family sent people to get him sometime before you get on board (the rooms prior to the theater have some of Falcone's men killed)

After that really isn't explained, but seriously, the game only runs for a few more hours, so the Falcones waiting to strike back after a giant blizzard isn't a huge logical leap.
Right--there just isn't time in the story for there to be Falcone Vengeance Payoff. My take is that instead of showing that Penguin had Falcone Thug #24 in his possession, we see that he's become so bold and confident in his operation that he's loving with Falcone's own blood, and does not fear the possible or real repercussions (re-inforcing Phylodox's point--the new face of crime has toppled the old guard). That's the point, here, not where specifically Albert runs off to, or what he does the next day.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's shittily done. They're introducing a character and scenario without any meaningful leadup to make one story point not connected to anything, then they disappear without any further explanation. The writing and plot structure of AO is really bad. The only potentially redeeming quality of that particular nonevent is that they might have been planning a Long Halloween DLC that got cut. It would explain a couple of the other jagged edges in the game. Now that I think of it, it would've made sense if, earlier in development, Martin Jospeh's character was originally Harvey Dent.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So what are the odds we get to see the rest of the Bat . . . people? family? colleagues? in Arkham Knight? Oracle doesn't count, I mean what are the chances we get to see a version of the other Bat costumes with the same armoured look they gave Batman this time around?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chasiubao posted:

So what are the odds we get to see the rest of the Bat . . . people? family? colleagues? in Arkham Knight? Oracle doesn't count, I mean what are the chances we get to see a version of the other Bat costumes with the same armoured look they gave Batman this time around?

Tim Drake / Robin and Jason Todd / Red Hood are in there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where the gently caress is Bat-Mite?!?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm disappointed there hasn't been a Zur-En-Arrh akin yet.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's shittily done. They're introducing a character and scenario without any meaningful leadup to make one story point not connected to anything, then they disappear without any further explanation. The writing and plot structure of AO is really bad. The only potentially redeeming quality of that particular nonevent is that they might have been planning a Long Halloween DLC that got cut. It would explain a couple of the other jagged edges in the game. Now that I think of it, it would've made sense if, earlier in development, Martin Jospeh's character was originally Harvey Dent.

I always assumed there was supposed to be more DLC for Origins since their statement about not patching the game further in order to work on DLC came after Cold, Cold Heart was released (or near to it anyway, I don't remember exactly). Maybe CCH didn't sell well enough?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tim Drake / Robin and Jason Todd / Red Hood are in there.

No idea if the one on the left is Tim or Jason as Robin though.

Jason himself looks pretty cool but he's somewhat big for a twenty something guy.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jason himself looks pretty cool but he's somewhat big for a twenty something guy.

I'd guess it's supposed to be Tim.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jerusalem posted:

I can say with 100% certainty that it will run the game absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever.

Source: I have a GTX 660 too :ohdear:

Well i did find this:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=17044&compareGPU=Batman:%20Arkham%20Knight

Which does say the 660 will be more than fine, but i'm looking at those screenshots and still thinking no loving way.

Although i do have a 2560x1440 monitor so i don't know if that larger size taxes the system a lot more than the next resolution down.

I just took a look at graphics cards and i'm completely lost as to where to go after a 660. There's a 680 that's coming out soon but there's also an entire 700 GTX series which i'm assuming is a whole level of power higher (and presumably what is comparable with what's in a PS4?)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't mind the Joker, I just hope that he stays dead. This is the last game of the series. They're not bound by the same constraints of the comics, where you HAVE to bring someone back after a while or the fans start to get antsy, especially someone like the Joker. People can stay dead for ONE game. The only death I'd like to see be undone in Arkham Knight is Ras Al Ghul, simply because there's precedent for it.

Joker's hogged the spotlight for three games now. Let someone else, especially as popular and well received as Scarecrow, take center stage for once.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously nobody hates him. It's just goddamn boring how he's hogged the spotlight for three loving games. Origins story was great but man did I not like that switcheroo one bit when it was the Joker behind it all along. I almost wanted to just stop and uninstall the game right there.

I rather the others take the spotlight. AC could've been great with Dr. Strange, but they ended up not even using him at all and he ends up being a pawn of Ra Al ghul. Seriously if this game just focuses on the Scarecrow causing mayhem, I'm all for it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope they lengthened his cape and let him grow some hair.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

I always assumed there was supposed to be more DLC for Origins since their statement about not patching the game further in order to work on DLC came after Cold, Cold Heart was released (or near to it anyway, I don't remember exactly). Maybe CCH didn't sell well enough?

Nah, it came before. While CCH was in development, specifically. It really gave the impression of "we're finishing this last DLC and then we never want to touch this loving game again."

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Which sucks because with a few patches it would be a much better game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Which sucks because with a few patches it would be a much better game.

Not THAT much better, AO has a few flaws right in the design phase, from the crappy city to annoying enemy gimmicks and a story that's only slightly better than AA and AC.

People seem to have confused "good story" with "well-directed setpieces," which AO has in spades, but not actually decent writing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like AO. I feel bad when people pick on it, like a fat kid getting the piss taken out of him because he's dressed as Batman. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will never understand "annoying enemy gimmicks." It feels like pretty much every enemy gimmick in AO is fairly well designed. Venom Thugs are a much better version of the Titans in terms of combat flow and the martial artists are great. The game punishes button mashing a lot harder but it really should. The entire Arkham system is based around making the right move at the right time.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I like AO. I feel bad when people pick on it, like a fat kid getting the piss taken out of him because he's dressed as Batman. :smith:

I mean, it's okay. It's still Arkham. It's just that when I feel like firing up an Arkham game for high score runs on challenge mode, I almost always pick City still.

ImpAtom posted:

The game punishes button mashing a lot harder

Okay but have you heard of these things called "shock gloves"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I'd guess it's supposed to be Tim.

Yeah, especially given it was Tim in City.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I will never understand "annoying enemy gimmicks." It feels like pretty much every enemy gimmick in AO is fairly well designed. Venom Thugs are a much better version of the Titans in terms of combat flow and the martial artists are great. The game punishes button mashing a lot harder but it really should. The entire Arkham system is based around making the right move at the right time.

I don't mind the variety, what I do mind is the sheer NUMBER of varied enemies in any given fight. Towards the middle of the game you can get up to four different enemy types in one fight, each with their own ways of needing to be dealt with. That didn't happen in City until near the very end of the game, and they only keep getting harder in Origins. It got really annoying really fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay but have you heard of these things called "shock gloves"

Fair enough. It punishes button mashing a lot harder until you get shock gloves at which point they're trivial.

I really do hate the Shock Gloves. Them and the Concussion Grenades are two areas where Origins is just straight-up worse than City.

kalonZombie posted:

I don't mind the variety, what I do mind is the sheer NUMBER of varied enemies in any given fight. Towards the middle of the game you can get up to four different enemy types in one fight, each with their own ways of needing to be dealt with. That didn't happen in City until near the very end of the game, and they only keep getting harder in Origins. It got really annoying really fast.

I don't understand why enemy variety is a bad thing. That sounds exactly like what a video game should be doing. Four different enemy types in one fight is exactly what I both want and expect, especially since any given enemy type has multiple ways to be taken down.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
If you could remap the controls on AA to be like the other games that would be my favorite. I played thru AA before AO released and it was maddennig not being to double tap the number keys to quick fire gadgets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

If you could remap the controls on AA to be like the other games that would be my favorite. I played thru AA before AO released and it was maddennig not being to double tap the number keys to quick fire gadgets.

I think the other big thing holding back AA is that the upgraded gadgets are honestly not very interesting. Ooh, triple batarang and triple grappling hook.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll be crushed if Knight doesn't reuse the martial artists in some way. I absolutely loved watching fights play out with those, even if they were just glorified QTEs.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Honestly, I thought the keyboard controls on AA were way better than in City's. City made me switch a controller.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

lol

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Speaking of, I remember there being a small cave with a large double door in it somewhere on the south island, right on the water level. I think it was east of the police station. I dont remember ever going there during the story, and it was locked in free roam. Was that used in the CCH dlc?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Canemacar posted:

Speaking of, I remember there being a small cave with a large double door in it somewhere on the south island, right on the water level. I think it was east of the police station. I dont remember ever going there during the story, and it was locked in free roam. Was that used in the CCH dlc?

Isn't it that Pinkney guy's tomb or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think so, you can find it early on but you can't open it till you follow the breadcrumbs that lead you there. It's completely optional and can be missed entirely in a playthrough.

• Locked thread