Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can't say I'm glad you guys say it gets better around episode 6 yet (I'm on episode 3). I want to like it so far, but I just can't yet, but I also can't seem to write it off yet either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't say I'm glad you guys say it gets better around episode 6 yet (I'm on episode 3). I want to like it so far, but I just can't yet, but I also can't seem to write it off yet either.

I'm only up to episode 5 and a bit of 6 (had it on last night and fell asleep) and it's already better. Believe me, I was exactly where you were a couple days ago.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Does Will Arnett have some contract where he has to play almost exactly the same character across multiple live action/cartoon shows?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like how Mr. Peanutbutter's personality is totally like that of a dog. Overly nice (if not a bit shallow), totally dumb, easily distracted, etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Does Will Arnett have some contract where he has to play almost exactly the same character across multiple live action/cartoon shows?

They really did a lot more with it here than in other shows he's been in, though. The last few episodes do a lot with the effect it has on him and other people and it really connects. Especially the bits in Malibu. Jesus christ that was well done.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

I feel like I shouldn't be laughing at all the animal jokes, but I do anyways. They're so dumb but so funny.

Navy SEAL has been my favorite joke of the entire series (I'm on episode 5)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Really digging this so far (I'm on episode 5). PFT, Patton and Amy Sedaris doing so many of the side characters is a nice surprise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy poo poo Downer Ending was an amazing episode that paid off for the entire preceding episodes.

edit "20 pages of Dr. Who erotic fanfiction, a recipe for soup, 5 theories about how 9/11 happened and a bunch of youtube clips that can't be published in book form"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 26, 2014

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Mr. Peanutbutter's trunk full of tennis balls was great.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It sort of reminds me of Archer, where I'm not laughing out loud a lot, but I enjoy seeing the characters interact.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I laughed way too hard at the Halloween floor gag. They got way more mileage out of that joke then I expected.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo :lol: the MSNBC muffin thing, I was thinking the dude they got to voice the host was a great impersonation of Keith Olbermann, and, well...

quote:

We had a character in Episode 2 described as a Keith Olbermann type with a whale’s head. And our casting director said, ‘What if we asked Keith Olbermann?’ And we did, and he’s great!

EDIT: :lol: x2, the scrolling bar during the live debate.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Holy hell, the Downer Ending episode with the drug hallucinations is so bleak. :saddowns:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm a huge fan of how Patton Oswalt pops up pretty much everywhere in the show's margins. As a native Masshole, I was especially fond of his Bostonian adopted-Vietnamese ram in episode 5.

I love the show, even though I know it's not the best thing out there. It's pretty laid back and is confident in itself. There's definitely a big difference from episodes 1-6 and the others beyond that (I'm on eight right now). Seems like things are building up.

My one complaint is that Todd is really underutilized, although Aaron Paul is absolutely crushing it so far in the role. Maybe it's just that it's impossible not to be an Aaron Paul fan at this point.

Ugh, where is this Spring Breakers poo poo coming from? That's the definition of shoehorned out of all the plots in the show so far...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

CRINDY posted:

I'm a huge fan of how Patton Oswalt pops up pretty much everywhere in the show's margins.

That's kind of Patton Oswald's thing these days. He's a professional Guest Star.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

hcreight posted:

That's kind of Patton Oswald's thing these days. He's a professional Guest Star.

I mean yeah, but most guest stars take one or two roles. Patton's already popped up at least ten times in eight episodes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I love the reference to "Sit Ubu sit, good dog"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

hcreight posted:

he also does stand-up sometimes

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was skeptical about the animal / human mix, but it works really well. I sort of wish I hadn't blazed through it one sitting.

Vince Adult... man.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Binged the entire second half of the show in the last few hours and it only got better as it went along. Mr. Peanutbutter is pretty much the perfect version of an anthropomorphic dog.

It seemed like the animal/human stuff was either fairly subtle or blatantly in the audience's face, which was decent. None of it got creepy or sexual, which is even better. Just stupid jokes about different species.

I loved that Margo Martindale was willing to play Character Actress Margo Martindale, and the kicker at the end was a really Netflix in-jokey nice touch.

It's a little scary how relatable BoJack is, though. I think maybe that's because I too am a horribly broken person.

Anyway, liked-then-loved the first season, sincerely hoping it comes back for more. Obviously they'll bring up his old deer girlfriend if they get a second season, although would they keep up the Secretariat stuff or rip that away and revert to the relative status quo?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

CRINDY posted:

Anyway, liked-then-loved the first season, sincerely hoping it comes back for more.

Good news, then!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Holy poo poo I actually thought they might sunset this given the lukewarm critical reception. Cheering right now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I literally had to stop watching to laugh my face off at Vincent Adultman. Then I cried while trying to explain to a coworker while I was laughing so hard.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

BoJack the horse, don't ACT like you don't know!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mira posted:

Holy hell, the Downer Ending episode with the drug hallucinations is so bleak. :saddowns:

I was laughing my rear end off at the gun shaped lighter...or lighter shaped gun . I will agree that ending was super bleak.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Saw this pop up on Netflix last night and figured I'd watch it. I agree with the opinions in the thread that the first half is fairly weak. A few chuckles, but not uproarious, but the last half really knocked it out of the park. I'm really looking forward to the next season, if they keep up this level of quality I'll have a new favourite series. Also, I loved how Bojack never lets go of his award through the whole episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Saw this pop up on Netflix last night and figured I'd watch it. I agree with the opinions in the thread that the first half is fairly weak. A few chuckles, but not uproarious, but the last half really knocked it out of the park. I'm really looking forward to the next season, if they keep up this level of quality I'll have a new favourite series. Also, I loved how Bojack never lets go of his award through the whole episode.

He actually puts it down once: for the Secretariat audition where he monologues (in character, but remember this is his dream role) about how he's been running from "nothing."

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love the art-style overall, but I'm bothered by Diane's looks. She looks and acts so blandly, in a way that takes away from Allison Brie's strengths. Like a less-interesting-looking Daria. Kind of feel the same way about Princess Caroline - Amy Sedaris is a riot, but her character model is, I dunno, not letting her play it to the fullest.

But I love it. I think so far, what really tickled me is that, early on he buys a restaurant as a one-upsmanship move which on most shows like this would just be a one-time gag. But later in the season, he just owns a restaurant now.

OldTimeyProspector
May 29, 2010
I had seen this pop up in Netflix but overlooked it till this thread. I just wanted to say thank you, because I really enjoyed the show. There were some bits that didn't land, but it has a lot of really good material. For all the really stupid jokes (I kind of hate how many times I'd laugh at something way too hard while thinking what a dumb joke it was), it's got a lot of restraint, not taking gags or plotlines so far that they get tiresome. I was a bit worried that the "dark" half of the series everyone kept talking about would take all the energy out of the show with needless grimness, but they turned out to be nice extensions of the characters.

Also, why does everyone complain so much about the Spring Breakers bit? It was maybe 40 seconds long, and I didn't find it particularly egregious. If we're going to pick that episode apart then I want to complain about the stupid "Can't be responsible for my own breakfast" joke in the first episode. That one was sunk by that awful cut-away. They could have also played the jokes about Mr. Peanutbutter's movie a little less broad, but then most people here seemed to dislike the Hollywood showbiz angle.

The Comicstripper
Jul 17, 2007

QUITE INTERESTING!
Did anyone else get the impression that, when Todd figures out BoJack's rock opera betrayal, the show was poking fun at Breaking Bad and Jesse Pinkman (also played by Aaron Paul, duh) piecing together that Walter had poisoned Brock? Aaron Paul connecting disparate facts to recognize his mentor had betrayed him in a convoluted fashion? I can't tell if that was just me.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Pretty good series so far.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Andrew Garfield/Garfield the Cat jokes are so dumb they're funny.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mahoning posted:

The Andrew Garfield/Garfield the Cat jokes are so dumb they're funny.

...he hates Mondays?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

...he hates Mondays?

and likes...lasagna?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I was laughing my rear end off at the gun shaped lighter...or lighter shaped gun . I will agree that ending was super bleak.

The line right after it was perfect. "Then what did I give to that baby?"

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
I can't believe they play a bit of Death Grips over a portion of an episode.

Fun show! I'm not head over heels but it has its moments.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I actually watched the pilot before this thread came up and thought it was way too bland. But, persuaded by the brimming enthusiasm of the OP, I persevered and watched all of it. It turns out that it got better as it went on! But it's still a mediocre show.

Also "Downer Ending" was by far the worst episode of the show. Using a drug trip to force a character to catharsis, ugh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I really liked that they didn't go the predictable route with Vincent Adultman. It'd be so easy to reveal that he's three kids, or that he's just a weird guy with a deformity, but instead they just keep going with him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really liked that they didn't go the predictable route with Vincent Adultman. It'd be so easy to reveal that he's three kids, or that he's just a weird guy with a deformity, but instead they just keep going with him.

He's a really good listener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What are you talking about? He works at the business factory!