Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Polygon already shedded the only good part of their site, Features. Now shedding reviewers. Pretty soon will be the McElroy brothers making funny videos in a basement while Ben Kuchera writes clickbait garbage pieces from his apartment.

That sounds like the early days of giant bomb except replace Ben Kuchera with that guy who used to steal Kotaku stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Jake/Chris, I don't know if Sean has an account here, but if he does or gets one, direct him to this thread. I finally got around to listing a shitload of DOTA physical goods for sale(amongst tons of other stuff) and I know he was interested in at least getting a headset and a donkey.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660292

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sweet advertising hat baron.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al! posted:

Sweet advertising hat baron.

:c00l: You know it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sponsor an episode of Thumbs. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phone posted:

Sponsor an episode of Thumbs. :v:
I would think about it, but...

...So, what's the cost on advertising on Thumbs, guys? :v:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I would think about it, but...

...So, what's the cost on advertising on Thumbs, guys? :v:

It varies a lot but we can put you in contact with our ad rep (our ads are sold through an agency). It would be pretty amazing to have ads for your dota stuff on Thumbs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm way late on this, but I just burned through a few backlogged episodes of WOFF and I want to say thanks for randomly covering X-Men Legends 2. I got that game when it first came out but didn't have anyone to play it with until years later, and I loved it when I was able to do co-op (I'm also a big fan of those sorts of isometric beat-em-up RPGs, Gauntlet Legends being where I cut my teeth on those). We liked it so much that we ran out and bought Ultimate Alliance pretty much immediately after. This was in the late 00s when Marvel was releasing its pre-Avengers lineup, so that helped get us excited as well. I really want to play it again but don't have anyone to do so with now :(

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm way late on this, but I just burned through a few backlogged episodes of WOFF and I want to say thanks for randomly covering X-Men Legends 2. I got that game when it first came out but didn't have anyone to play it with until years later, and I loved it when I was able to do co-op (I'm also a big fan of those sorts of isometric beat-em-up RPGs, Gauntlet Legends being where I cut my teeth on those). We liked it so much that we ran out and bought Ultimate Alliance pretty much immediately after. This was in the late 00s when Marvel was releasing its pre-Avengers lineup, so that helped get us excited as well. I really want to play it again but don't have anyone to do so with now :(

I hunted down a PC copy of Ultimate Alliance and co-op was disabled for it recently. Sucks! I love these games despite their mediocrity.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast Episode 16! :jeb:

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

In this episode:

An interview with KSP producer and SA goon Maxmaps!
We get some info on what we'll see in .25 and what that new building is all about.

Modder's Minute with DK

The story of Maxmaps!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Good summation of the current bullshit on the internet Thumbs guys. I'm actually kinda sad Kotaku and Polygon are actually responding to it by making contributors not contribute/disclose all contributions to crowdfunding. Not that transparency is a bad thing, but seriously who gives a gently caress if Ben Kuchera backed a game or once gave a homeless dude 5 dollars and that man was Nick Breckon.

You also voiced a thought I had earlier in the week, in that this is the grandest conspiracy for the lowest of stakes. A free game on Steam and a modest income making games? To hear some people tell it, Zoey is a evil mastermind succubus who has not only ruined games forever but does so from a tower of gold.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Haven't listened to the latest thumbs yet, but did it get recorded before or after we got this latest piece of awfulness?

Good week to be a person who likes video games. :smith:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

For gently caress's sake. I'm genuinely shocked at that threat.

Which is depressing because that means I've become inured to the others.

How did it get this bad?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

As much as I've been on the fence on the quality of Thumbs as of late, holy poo poo was the first 40 minutes of the latest episode on point. It's everything I agree with vocalised way better than whatever I could attempt.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

For gently caress's sake. I'm genuinely shocked at that threat.

Which is depressing because that means I've become inured to the others.

How did it get this bad?

It is gobsmacking. I've watched every one of Anita's videos and I'm a fan. But in my wildest imagination, if I pretend like I disagree with her, I can't imagine ANYTHING she's doing justifying or baiting this sort of reaction. The videos are so gentle and this is the reaction. It's sickening.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Woffle posted:

It is gobsmacking. I've watched every one of Anita's videos and I'm a fan. But in my wildest imagination, if I pretend like I disagree with her, I can't imagine ANYTHING she's doing justifying or baiting this sort of reaction. The videos are so gentle and this is the reaction. It's sickening.
It's perfect, though. She is giving them the rope, and "gamers" are hanging themselves with it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It's perfect, though. She is giving them the rope, and "gamers" are hanging themselves with it.

Yeah, and in the mean time she's being terrorized. Seems imperfect to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well yeah, I didn't mean that it's good that she's being terrorized. It is bringing it to the forefront though. It's causing a lot more people to talk about this insane bias with obvious evidence being provided daily.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ulta posted:

Not that transparency is a bad thing, but seriously who gives a gently caress if Ben Kuchera backed a game or once gave a homeless dude 5 dollars and that man was Nick Breckon.

Idiots. Morons. Manchildren. People who think that glorified toy reviewers should rightfully be subject to the same level of institutional and professional rigor as people who cover political malfeasance or do ethnographic research on the homeless. People with weird brains and poo poo lives, external and internal. Ask me how I feel, here, in the Gaming Podcasts thread.

And about videogames or w/e Suikoden 3 has a decent story which continues the metaplot of 1/2 in interesting ways but makes poor mechanical changes, 4 sucks, and 5 seems like a deliberate attempt to return to the storytelling and mechanics of 1/2 but completely misses the thing that makes those games feel good (how insanely snappy everything is) and is one of the most plodding JRPGs I've ever played

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was looking for the Gamers.txt thread since I was bored the other day, and it was in the gas chamber. @fart was retweeting her stuff and basically just posting stuff like "and this is why gamers are the worst". I put two and two together.

It's happened in this thread before, but apparently treating women, or minorities in general, like people is a loving bridge too far for a nonzero number of people who identify as "gamers".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

All gamers should have to prove they are a decent person before the state takes off the ankle bracelet.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Ulta posted:

Good summation of the current bullshit on the internet Thumbs guys. I'm actually kinda sad Kotaku and Polygon are actually responding to it by making contributors not contribute/disclose all contributions to crowdfunding. Not that transparency is a bad thing, but seriously who gives a gently caress if Ben Kuchera backed a game or once gave a homeless dude 5 dollars and that man was Nick Breckon.

I don't disagree with anything they said but I feel like they kind of misrepresented your average angry 14 year old. 14 year olds are single-minded assholes who are all terrible to each other.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And about videogames or w/e Suikoden 3 has a decent story which continues the metaplot of 1/2 in interesting ways but makes poor mechanical changes, 4 sucks, and 5 seems like a deliberate attempt to return to the storytelling and mechanics of 1/2 but completely misses the thing that makes those games feel good (how insanely snappy everything is) and is one of the most plodding JRPGs I've ever played

I think the mechanical things are what make Suikoden so worth playing now. The thematic stuff is great but it takes a lot to make me want to play a JRPG these days.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Trexy posted:

I don't disagree with anything they said but I feel like they kind of misrepresented your average angry 14 year old. 14 year olds are single-minded assholes who are all terrible to each other.

I remember being 14 years old and clearly I remember having it all together. A 14 year person who had never been outside of Catholic school, hosed up views on pretty much everything, and pirating Quake on a 56k modem.

Man I'm glad I turned out as OK as I am now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Ulta posted:

I remember being 14 years old and clearly I remember having it all together. A 14 year person who had never been outside of Catholic school, hosed up views on pretty much everything, and pirating Quake on a 56k modem.

Man I'm glad I turned out as OK as I am now.

We don't know anything about what 14 year olds are like now, I'd say. I don't know what growing up with the anonymity of the internet does to someone. Not just blaming the internet or anything, but I don't feel like any generation really understands the next one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's charitable to assume the majority of these people are 14 and not 24.

Woffle posted:

I think the mechanical things are what make Suikoden so worth playing now. The thematic stuff is great but it takes a lot to make me want to play a JRPG these days.

Stop playing with 2, then. The games lose that feeling of lightness and the quick random encounters that make 1/2 so breezy to replay. 3 and 5 are both decent games, in their own ways, but I'll never play either again.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

We don't know anything about what 14 year olds are like now, I'd say. I don't know what growing up with the anonymity of the internet does to someone. Not just blaming the internet or anything, but I don't feel like any generation really understands the next one.

I don't know man, that's the scary thing. When I was 14 the internet was way more anonymous, very few people went by their real names. 4chan aside people seem more than comfortable using their names and faces to spew the most hateful poo poo. That utterly creepy thing Anita posted was from someone's public twitter account using what seems to be their real name.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al! posted:

I don't know man, that's the scary thing. When I was 14 the internet was way more anonymous, very few people went by their real names. 4chan aside people seem more than comfortable using their names and faces to spew the most hateful poo poo. That utterly creepy thing Anita posted was from someone's public twitter account using what seems to be their real name.

It could also be a hacked twitter account, too. Seems like it's not difficult at all for some of the shitheads doing this to just snatch any twitter account they want, including their target's.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
My feeling is that we're talking about people who can intentionally keep their world very small. Anonymity is part of it, but what can you do with people who can gain social acceptance for doing this kind of thing?

When you don't have to answer to anyone who disagrees with you because an army of faceless dickheads will back you up, it's real real easy to be shameless.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It could also be a hacked twitter account, too. Seems like it's not difficult at all for some of the shitheads doing this to just snatch any twitter account they want, including their target's.

This is a reasonable supposition but I have seen some of the worst of humanity posted on Facebook with a little picture of themselves hugging their dog next to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I know, I've had those too. Just saying it's a possibility since throwing someone else under the bus is likely pretty easy for people like this too.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The internet may have been less anonymous but it was also far less ubiquitous and there were way fewer direct channels to spew this poo poo. Twitter means that anyone can tell any public figure just about anything directly. It's a totally different world.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Ugh, I never talk about games to anyone in real life and poo poo like this is why.

I did end up getting a lot of it on my twitter feed, right next to Brown Moses' posts about people getting beheaded left and right in Syria and the infuriating situation in Ukraine, there's this ongoing petulant gamer drama of the most inane variety. The dissonance was breaking my brain. Listening to this week's Thumbs was incredibly cathartic.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Scorchy posted:

Ugh, I never talk about games to anyone in real life and poo poo like this is why.

I did end up getting a lot of it on my twitter feed, right next to Brown Moses' posts about people getting beheaded left and right in Syria and the infuriating situation in Ukraine, there's this ongoing petulant gamer drama of the most inane variety. The dissonance was breaking my brain. Listening to this week's Thumbs was incredibly cathartic.

exactly, brown moses and all this poo poo with ferguson and anita + zoe quinn (and plenty more along/before that poo poo) was hitting so many extremes at once

twitter somehow turned into a horrible humanity window (and i already have these forums for that)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chris/Jake, I know you're making a game and don't get to do games very often, but please play Five Nights At Freddy's on a livestream without looking up video of it beforehand(I haven't listened to the latest Thumbs yet so I don't know if you've tried it or not)

It's a horror game about killer animatronic Chuck E. Cheese robot mascots. It's Jump Scares The Game but totally works despite that. I watched Klepek play it on his Spookin' With Scoops thing and now I wanna watch you guys try it. :allears:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

My feeling is that we're talking about people who can intentionally keep their world very small. Anonymity is part of it, but what can you do with people who can gain social acceptance for doing this kind of thing?

When you don't have to answer to anyone who disagrees with you because an army of faceless dickheads will back you up, it's real real easy to be shameless.

Some of them show their delightful faces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjFoe6_gx4

Edit: Oh, how could I forget these cool guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROHvvtUcp8I

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I've seen both of those. There are parts in both of them where they start listing things that might as well be infinite and it's funny to me. The 2nd set of winners have a part where they start listing news outlets that haven't been covering this issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't clicked this, but I like how you can tell just from the preview image that the guy who made it is loving unstable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Why are people angry that a woman wears earrings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I clicked out of morbid curiosity. I regret it.

• Locked thread