Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

James Woods Fan posted:

I thought the first season at least had decent effects for the era of television it belonged to. It did look way worse after that season though.

The first season where Clark doesn't actually do anything super and all the villains are high school students with bland ironic powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

The first season where Clark doesn't actually do anything super and all the villains are high school students with bland ironic powers?

Wait, you said the first season but clearly described almost every season. What's your game here?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the pilot for Smallville when it first aired but was put off because they tried to say that Clark was an awkward 14 year old.

Oh, I don't know.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Smallville was Superman by way of Buffy except it actually managed to age faster and worse than Buffy.

I do wonder how "Shattered" (the episode where Lex goes crazy) held up, though. That blew my mind when I first saw it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I somehow ended up watching some of Smallville when it was in the first four seasons or so? I seem to remember it wasn't very bad, and Lex Luthor in particular was good, as was his dad.

I gather things didn't go well for the show in the long run.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

precision posted:

It lasted like 10 seasons soooooo.
(Ten horrible, horrible season though)

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

precision posted:

All you have to do is look at their threads. It's not an opinion.

Here's the first season thread for Community. You'll note the first few pages are mostly full of people saying how great the pilot was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

quote:

I gave up on this poo poo before the first or second commercial. Cannot really remember. This is "intelligent" comedy for people of average or below-average intelligence and no sense of writing.

Seriously considering making that the entire OP for the next Community thread.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I like the unintentional foreshadowing:

quote:

First episode is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OPYUSM

It's on NBC. If more than 10 people watch it, it will be on for 5 seasons. More than any other network, NBC seems to thrive off the 'critical acclaim' aspect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I somehow ended up watching some of Smallville when it was in the first four seasons or so? I seem to remember it wasn't very bad, and Lex Luthor in particular was good, as was his dad.

Lex Luthor was one of the parts that was very good. Along with the best live action version of Lois Lane as well. Smallville wasn't all poo poo, just mostly poo poo. It had just enough good stuff in it to string people along that were even vaguely interested in it for years.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Deadpool posted:

Lex Luthor was one of the parts that was very good. Along with the best live action version of Lois Lane as well. Smallville wasn't all poo poo, just mostly poo poo. It had just enough good stuff in it to string people along that were even vaguely interested in it for years.

And those people who got really invested graced us with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07MMlFqGvQ

:siren:DISCLAIMER:THIS MAY BE THE PROEST CLICK OF YOUR ENTIRE SHORT LIVES:siren:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That just reminds me how much I've always hated the "crystal nonsense" Kryptonian tech design.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DOPE.

DOPE.

NOTHING BUT DOPENESS.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
In a loving insane, unfunny collision of Games and TVIV again, I bring you Adam Baldwin (yes of Firefly and Chuck fame) getting dragged into this mess. Oh yeah, and Adam Baldwin is actually the crazy right-wing nut he so expertly portrays. This time it is certainly more on topic than the other day.

quote:

Zoë ʻGRANOSʼ Quinn ‏@TheQuinnspiracy 1h

Cool. @AdamBaldwin is promoting videos that help circulate my doxx and nude photos and contribute to me being unable to loving GO HOME.

What the gently caress internet, what the gently caress.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I certainly hope it isn't news that Adam Baldwin is the worst. I thought everyone knew that once twitter rolled around.

Sucks for her and I hope she gets through it, but the sooner we all stop talking about this debacle, the faster it ends.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Adam Baldwin most definitely has made his personality and views known on Twitter but one thing we're not doing is bringing this subject back up here. This is not the place for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The biggest news is that he's not one of the Baldwin brothers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well he doesn't look bit related to them at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

For some reason I thought he was, albeit the black sheep, or red sheep as the case may be?

He's a total shitlord though. Hopefully the Baltimore police shoot his rear end on The Last Ship if that dumb show gets a second season.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berkeloid posted:

Here's the first season thread for Community. You'll note the first few pages are mostly full of people saying how great the pilot was.

Holy poo poo, reading the first few pages explained something for me. I watched the pilot waaaay back when NBC put it on Facebook the summer before it premièred. I didn't think it was that great, so I didn't give it another chance until the internet collectively shat themelseves over the first paintball episode.

The second time I watched the pilot, it was a lot funnier. I couldn't figure out why until the poster in the first few pages who mentioned that NBC apparently cut some material out of the version they aired. Those scenes are obviously in the DVD version, which is what I watched the second time.

So there's that mystery explained. I wonder what they were?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there a general TVIV identify thread like CD has? I got a moment in mind that I remember from something but I can't remember just from what.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Irish Joe posted:

Netflix also renewed Hemlock Grove, proving definitively that Netflix has no idea what its doing.

I'm actually pleased by this. The second season was an order of magnitude better than the first, even if I'm...unsure of how well they'll be able to follow on from the ending.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Frostwerks posted:

Is there a general TVIV identify thread like CD has? I got a moment in mind that I remember from something but I can't remember just from what.

I'm sure you can just post it here, it's not like it's something that happens frequently enough to warrant its own thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frostwerks posted:

You can use this one or create a thread for that if you want. It'd probably be handy.

raditts posted:

I'm sure you can just post it here, it's not like it's something that happens frequently enough to warrant its own thread.

I imagine it would get some use if it existed.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Frostwerks posted:

Might as well just use that one for tv id too. Often people don't remember enough about what they're seeking to even specify for sure whether it's a movie or show anyway. Besides everyones in that thread is already absorbed into the mystery solving mindset of the great detectives of all media.... Sherlock Holmes, Jake Gittes, Scooby Doo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I just figured it out hahaha. I couldn't remember what show it was in. It was a four way between Venture Bros, Family Guy, Archer, and American Dad. Maybe more.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Might as well just use that one for tv id too. Often people don't remember enough about what they're seeking to even specify for sure whether it's a movie or show anyway. Besides everyones in that thread is already absorbed into the mystery solving mindset of the great detectives of all media.... Sherlock Holmes, Jake Gittes, Scooby Doo.

I'm still desperately trying to remember just what I was watching when I heard a character pronouncing Tuxedo as Tuzeedo. I could have swore it was Tracy Jordan.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 28, 2014

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Semi TV related question: Why does DJ Qualls keep getting work? He seems like the kind of person best suited for doing voice work, and not showing his face to a camera.

And just for the record, DJ Qualls is awesome and should keep getting work.

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

TVIV inexplicably expects shows to come storming out the gate with their incredibleness. Which is funny considering, if you look back at the first threads for Bob's Burgers and Community, reactions to the first several episodes of both consisted of a lot of "this is the worst show I've ever seen" type hyperbole.

By that measure, people damning BoJack Horseman as "just okay" is actually about the best you can expect from a new comedy in this forum.

I feel like the Bojack convo is a little rundown, but I think it leads to a much more interesting place, intellectually. Why do you like pilots? They're rough, especially for comedies.

Generally, there is usually a thing or two in there that shows signs of potential. I don't really believe in huge changes in quality over a show's lifetime, with people's obsession with ranking seasons, episodes, individual nanoseconds in SA.

Yes, things improve or don't, but the people behind the shows you love generally make these shows to scratch an itch they've had for yeeaaars. You get a sense of its ethos, its hook.

I liked Bob's Burgers from the start. I liked Pars and Rec from the start. Both pilots turned my head around enough to say to myself hmmm this is interesting and NEW enough for me to see what happens next. Generally, if I have to work at watching a pilot, an episode of TV, I'll loving bail. Life's too short, and there's too many good things on already for me to see it. Good TV doesn't feel like work.

TLDR: Bojack sucks horse sized testicles.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Re: DJ Qualls

He's in the "Buscemi zone".

I'm finishing Bojack and it's not bad, but everone that's been endorsing it here keeps quoting bad jokes from it. It actually has some good jokes, and the main character arc is fun once it gets going. The secondary characters are not as great, and the facial animation could have stood to be much better though.

Edit: thanks for undermining my short post as I was writing it. :( At least I get to be the Zelda to your Zoe. Get it? From the show! Do you get it?

Fooz fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 28, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Bojack got better as the show went on (I'm 9 episodes down), although it never stopped having bad jokes, just started having decent ones. Also I may or may not have been too high to properly remember what happened during episodes 7 & 8, which is supposedly the big turning point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazon has five new pilots up that people can vote on to see if they go to series.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1001155581

Hand of God
A psychological drama about a morally-corrupt judge who suffers a breakdown and believes God is compelling him onto a path of vigilante justice. Starring Ron Perlman and Dana Delany.

Red Oaks
A coming-of-age comedy set in the "go-go" 80s about a college student enjoying a last hurrah before summer comes to an end--and the future begins. Starring Jennifer Grey and Paul Reiser.

The Cosmopolitans
A dramatic comedy about a group of young American expats in Paris searching for love and friendship and an ocean of distance from their past. Starring Chloë Sevigny and Adam Brody.

Hysteria
An investigative thriller about a haunted young doctor who is summoned back to her hometown to investigate an epidemic that may be linked to social media - and her own tragic past. Starring Mena Suvari and T.R. Knight.

Really
A funny, honest, behind-the-curtain look at the psychological and emotional complexities of marriage and the charged dynamics of a tight-knit group of friends grasping on to what's left of their youth. Starring Jay Chandrasekhar, Sarah Chalke, Selma Blair, Luka Jones, Hayes MacArthur, and Lindsey Sloan.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I vote none?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Hysteria
An investigative thriller about a haunted young doctor who is summoned back to her hometown to investigate an epidemic that may be linked to social media - and her own tragic past. Starring Mena Suvari and T.R. Knight.

Really
A funny, honest, behind-the-curtain look at the psychological and emotional complexities of marriage and the charged dynamics of a tight-knit group of friends grasping on to what's left of their youth. Starring Jay Chandrasekhar, Sarah Chalke, Selma Blair, Luka Jones, Hayes MacArthur, and Lindsey Sloan.

these sound slightly interesting, but the rest are pretty cookie cutter.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fooz posted:

I vote none?

You have the choice of Ron Perlman as psychotic judge murdering people in the name of his hallucinated god and you vote "No"?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Hand of God
A psychological drama about a morally-corrupt judge who suffers a breakdown and believes God is compelling him onto a path of vigilante justice. Starring Ron Perlman and Dana Delany.
Coming to NBC: Jack Donaghy is God in... God Cop!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

You have the choice of Ron Perlman as psychotic judge murdering people in the name of his hallucinated god and you vote "No"?

My exact thoughts. Sign me up for that one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From the director of World War Z and Quantum of Solace. Pass.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

And those people who got really invested graced us with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07MMlFqGvQ

:siren:DISCLAIMER:THIS MAY BE THE PROEST CLICK OF YOUR ENTIRE SHORT LIVES:siren:

Wow, everybody needs to watch this. I guess this is like what a TVIV live post thread would sound like if it were made human. It could be applied to any vaguely exciting or interesting episode of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

David Chase has officially answered the is Tony Soprano dead at the end of Sopranos question.

Oh also the Discovery reality show Sons of Guns got cancelled. BECAUSE THE MAIN DUDE RAPED HIS 11 YO DAUGHTER!!

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread