Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Red posted:

Plus, the animation sucks.

I think you watched some other show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

No wonder I hate king of the hill. I always hear people talk about how great it is, but i never liked it. Also, Seinfeld. Maybe it's cause I grew up hating people from NYC too.

Differences in what people find funny/good is always interesting.

you just have bad taste

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
King of the Hill is about suburban Texans, not exactly what I would call rednecks. Its a good show besides.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys need more joy and less hate in your lives. Just take in the good moments in life and quit worrying about things for a bit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In much of Texas, most people call rednecks "bubbas", and make fun of them every bit as much as we do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hank & crew are good ol' boys not rednecks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. They're stereotypical North Texas/Panhandle small town folk. I've lived in San Antonio most of my life, but my inlaws are pure Abilene and it's freakish how many mannerisms and whatnot Judge got right. Dale getting cucked is a pretty great running joke.

Anyway, have they announced when the next season is going to start? And what the gently caress am I supposed to do with these Hankbucks since I missed the towel deal?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Frame them on your wall. Or give them to me to frame on my wall.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use redneck as shorthand for white trash, I don't even know what a good ol' boy is but the difference to me is negligible - either way I knew too many people like that growing up and don't enjoy watching them in my televised entertainment. I don't care if it's making fun of them, I find the characters unpleasant to watch.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TK-42-1 posted:

This. They're stereotypical North Texas/Panhandle small town folk. I've lived in San Antonio most of my life, but my inlaws are pure Abilene and it's freakish how many mannerisms and whatnot Judge got right. Dale getting cucked is a pretty great running joke.

Anyway, have they announced when the next season is going to start? And what the gently caress am I supposed to do with these Hankbucks since I missed the towel deal?

I wouldn't say small town- Arlen is modeled on Richardson, which is part of the DFW metroplex.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Dude King of the Hill is about lower-middle class folks from Texas, like the most middle of the road people imaginable. not swamp monsters or something. It's a far cry from even something like Squidbillies and not being able to stomach it is really weird, and also the animation is wonderful, but anyway

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

Frame them on your wall. Or give them to me to frame on my wall.

I use redneck as shorthand for white trash, I don't even know what a good ol' boy is but the difference to me is negligible - either way I knew too many people like that growing up and don't enjoy watching them in my televised entertainment. I don't care if it's making fun of them, I find the characters unpleasant to watch.

They're not white trash. Like, in the least. I don't really think you knew too many people like them growing up if you consider them white trash lol.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Especially considering there are episodes that have actual rednecks and white trash and the main characters want to have nothing to do with them, except when there's burled walnut at stake.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Rednecks/white trash tend to be blue-collar low income families, people who live in trailers and poo poo. Hank & friends are just your typical middle class suburban conservatives.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lotta sociopaths on the last page

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm so sorry I said I didn't like a thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you called texas the midwest they'd tar and feather u for less than that

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just didn't like King of the Hill.

Or Seinfeld, for that matter.

I loved Arrested Development, though, so go figure.

Oh, and Venture Brothers. I love Venture Brothers. Which this thread is ostensibly about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Venture Bros: King of the Hill is my favorite anime

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Phylodox posted:

Oh, and Venture Brothers. I love Venture Brothers. Which this thread is ostensibly about.

Arrested Development isn't just about the terrible people, it's about the intricate interactions and thematic coherence around those people.

Like the magnum opus of a master watchmaker.

EDIT: Season 4 sucks though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoctorWhat posted:

Arrested Development isn't just about the terrible people, it's about the intricate interactions and thematic coherence around those people.

So the same as Seinfeld.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

So the same as Seinfeld.

Yeah but Buster losing his hand is funnier than any of the "season arcs" Seinfeld ever attempted.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The difference between Seinfeld and Arrested Development is that I never actually ended up hating the Bluths.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DoctorWhat posted:

Like the magnum opus of a master watchmaker.

EDIT: Season 4 sucks though.

Season 4 was amazing, you suck.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There are good jokes in Season Four but it fails to cohere the way Season 2 (best season) does.

A large part of that is the fact that they had trouble getting the whole ensemble in a room together.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phylodox posted:

The difference between Seinfeld and Arrested Development is that I never actually ended up hating the Bluths.

But I loved that I ended up hating the Seinfeld-ians, as humans. That doesn't mean that I found them unpleasant to watch, though. I reveled in their badness, and loved how low they had become by the finale. I get no such pleasure out of Hank Hill vehemently defending fossil fuels, or destroying his son's self confidence.

Either way, this has nothing to do with how amazing Venture Bros is.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Aw you guys suck. I saw 50 new posts and thought there would be news for sure.

Anyway, here's a picture of me in a Venture Bros LARP at Gen Con

I'm hiding under a row of chairs from time displaced Dinosaurs.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just wanted to remind everyone of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs. The descriptions of the rusty venture always crack me up. Better with censorship IMO.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Christ on a cracker if you all weren't too kind to that tasteless buffoon. He banned yet? That's posting within your first month type poo poo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

deong posted:

I just wanted to remind everyone of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs. The descriptions of the rusty venture always crack me up. Better with censorship IMO.

Yeah it's not as funny uncensored. Granted it's still OH WHAT the gently caress reaction but censoring bad words with bleeps makes me just act like a 10 year old.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Aw you guys suck. I saw 50 new posts and thought there would be news for sure.

Anyway, here's a picture of me in a Venture Bros LARP at Gen Con

I'm hiding under a row of chairs from time displaced Dinosaurs.

The Dinosaurs were displaced from the 90s?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Internet Webguy posted:

The Dinosaurs were displaced from the 90s?

No, but I did see that Robbie cosplay elsewhere at the con.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

deong posted:

I love that Al knows the phone number for the Guild from memory. :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

prefect posted:

I love that Al knows the phone number for the Guild from memory. :allears:

I love the fact that behind the scenes he calls up the guild to bitch about Torrid being killed enough that Watch/Ward would recognize him instantly and shut him down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love the fact that behind the scenes he calls up the guild to bitch about Torrid being killed enough that Watch/Ward would recognize him instantly and shut him down.

They also seem to know that he and Shore Leave are a thing.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I actually thought they were trying to imply that's the kinda thing Shore Leave would call them about and that's how they know he's there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Back to "Every Which Way But Zeus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89MPGDskn8

All of you are in peculiar underpants, while I am not, because I am special!

Everything Treister says is great, but that kills me every time.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Phylodox posted:

I'm with you on this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

prefect posted:

Everything Treister says is great, but that kills me every time.

My favorite Treister line is "Don't tell Washington! Don't tell secret President!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My favorite Treister line is "Don't tell Washington! Don't tell secret President!"

President's not the president, you know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
So I just watched the venture bros panel - any speculation as to whom Paul f. Tompkins will play? They seem to specify that he's only present in flashbacks - Monarch's father maybe?