Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's not the best show ever, but it does get a lot better from episode 6+ on. It doesn't get as dark as I thought it would from the reactions in this thread (tbh not that dark at all). With that said, I hate most shows and I enjoyed this one. Worth a watch, it's only 5.5 hours for a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
We are up to episode 10, was it ever mentioned earlier in the series how old he was? I was genuinely surprised when he suddenly admitted he was 50.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Autechresaint posted:

We are up to episode 10, was it ever mentioned earlier in the series how old he was? I was genuinely surprised when he suddenly admitted he was 50.
Nah I figured the show he was on was basically their version of Full House. Saget is probably a bit older than that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

20 years after being a successful sitcom dad on a show for 9 years? Minimum mid 40s.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I actually liked the earlier half better than the latter half of the season. The first half was pleasantly brainless but it had just enough of an edge to bring the characters into 2D. The second half was all edge and tried to make 3D characters out of parodies. Nothing ruins a show worse than 3D characters when what they should have is 2D characters.

The second half felt like Daria from a different perspective. The first half was Entourage with loving GOB and Jessie Pinkman with Amy Sedaris thrown in the mix -- and crazy fun guest starts like Patton Oswald and Keith Olbermann. That's a fun show to waste time to. The Daria-clone wants to pretend it is deep but is garbage. If you want pseudo-intellectualism watch Necromantic or some other foofy art movie about feelings and themes.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Well I just started watching this and wasn't really enjoying it until episode 4. Holy poo poo, how can you not hate BoJack really? Such a wretchedly pathetic, lonely, and selfish person that he'd go to incredible lengths to sabotage and ruin Toby's success just so he could have someone around to help him feel less alone. Wretched. Sick!

If that's where this show finds it's consistent voice by episode 6, I might be able to get into this.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Well I just started watching this and wasn't really enjoying it until episode 4. Holy poo poo, how can you not hate BoJack really? Such a wretchedly pathetic, lonely, and selfish person that he'd go to incredible lengths to sabotage and ruin Toby's success just so he could have someone around to help him feel less alone. Wretched. Sick!

If that's where this show finds it's consistent voice by episode 6, I might be able to get into this.

yeah, and you see bojack develop some really depressing levels of insight into himself. "downer ending" strongly reinforces this.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

i'm still wondering what they'll have set for diane and mr peanutbutter in the next season since mr peanutbutter readily unloaded all of his anxieties onto todd about getting married. the plot thread has to go somewhere.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, I was slowly watching my way through the show the past few days, and it was... not bad. I got up to the Boston trip episode and was vaguely amused by it, and then started getting sucked in.

Holy poo poo. Hell of a ride once you get past the hump.

The worst part of all of it is that I just really wanted his extended Maine hallucination to happen. I know it's kinda trite, but that would have been a fun ending. Maybe... will someday be a fun ending?

(Aaron Paul's voicework was a standout role for the show, but I loved how on-point ALL the voicework was in it.)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

(Aaron Paul's voicework was a standout role for the show, but I loved how on-point ALL the voicework was in it.)

What was great was that there was maybe one or two times that I could tell it was Aaron Paul. I was glad he didn't do "animated Jesse Pinkman". He made his voice sound totally different and I appreciated that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what to think of this show. It's not really all that funny, but it was surprisingly compelling. A lot of the back half of the season gave me that vibe from the later seasons of "Daria" where nothing was very funny, but the characters were interacting in way more realistic ways than cartoon characters should.

The plight of the penguins was a pretty reliable laugh though. Them going from huddled around flaming trashcans for warmth to ornate offices with chandeliers in the space of 2 episodes was great. Whoever voiced that really crushed it.

And Vincent Adultman of course.

The Comicstripper posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that, when Todd figures out BoJack's rock opera betrayal, the show was poking fun at Breaking Bad and Jesse Pinkman (also played by Aaron Paul, duh) piecing together that Walter had poisoned Brock? Aaron Paul connecting disparate facts to recognize his mentor had betrayed him in a convoluted fashion? I can't tell if that was just me.

For sure. Him talking through BoJack's plan was like Jesse's inner monologue in the moment when he puts everything together.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, also this is essentially an animated version of "The Comeback". Everybody with Amazon Prime should go watch "The Comeback", because it does this satire-of-the-emptiness-of-low-level-fame thing a lot better.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
PFT just posted on Facebook that the show's getting a second season. :woop:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Illinois Smith posted:

PFT just posted on Facebook that the show's getting a second season. :woop:

Hooray! And you know I don't throw that word around lightly.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought the Boston trip was absolutely hysterical. When the camera cut to some semi-divey neighborhood with duplex style housing I was like "Yup, there's Quincy." 5 seconds into the family's dialogue, I was completely sold. I pretty much lived next door to Diane's family for a good chunk of my life.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 28, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There seems to be quite a few references to other shows the cast is on. The Breaking Bad reference was already mentioned. The use of Peanuts characters is very Arrested Development, and Margot Martindale is on the show that Will Arnett is on on CBS right now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mahoning posted:

There seems to be quite a few references to other shows the cast is on. The Breaking Bad reference was already mentioned. The use of Peanuts characters is very Arrested Development, and Margot Martindale is on the show that Will Arnett is on on CBS right now.

Bojack does a Clay Davis 'Sheeeeeeit' at one point too. I don't know if there's a cast connection there though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

What was the Breaking Bad reference?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

What was the Breaking Bad reference?

The whole main character manipulating the life of Aaron Paul's character and Aaron Paul's character putting the pieces together.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Some silly jokes didn't really resonate with me, but randomly some other ones did loads. Loved that no floor nonsense.

Just finished the season, really liking the depressing tone and how it avoids easy quick satisfaction of most animated sitcoms. I think that since it's a Netflix original, they at least know, while making it, that it's all going to be shown linearly and they can focus much more on longer arcs.

I hear comparison with Moral Orel Season 3, but I don't really see much similarity, besides the fact that they're both cartoons and have a downer tone. I think Bojack's is more grounded in reality, whereas Moral Orel was a cartoonish caricature; I mean ignoring the Flinstones animal gag stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Which character was Stanley Tucci voicing? Was it Herb? I saw him in the credits but I'm not too great at recognizing voices.

Megaspel posted:

Some silly jokes didn't really resonate with me, but randomly some other ones did loads. Loved that no floor nonsense.

Just finished the season, really liking the depressing tone and how it avoids easy quick satisfaction of most animated sitcoms. I think that since it's a Netflix original, they at least know, while making it, that it's all going to be shown linearly and they can focus much more on longer arcs.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people saw "cartoon" and expected it to be laugh-a-minute, but that's not really what it's going for. The arc is really well done, and the comedic relief is, well, relief. It's more there to make it bearable than it is the main draw.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, the intro of Horsin' Around is on Netflix.

I'm sure there's a very interesting story behind Bradley Hitler-Smith.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My favorite detail is Kristen Schaal is not a horse.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorite detail is Kristen Schaal is not a horse.
We need more Kurt Braunohler tho.

"Downer Ending" and the episode with the friend with cancer were a motherfucker, same with the ending scene of Bojack looking at LA. I guess we'll have to wait for the next season, but that scene was either extremely sad or extremely uplifting.

"I don't forgive you" and "Am I a good person?" were some heavy stuff for a show with funny animals in it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pakled posted:

So, the intro of Horsin' Around is on Netflix.

I'm sure there's a very interesting story behind Bradley Hitler-Smith.

I wish they'd have done one episode, even if it was 10 minutes or so.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

R. Mute posted:

Also "Downer Ending" was by far the worst episode of the show. Using a drug trip to force a character to catharsis, ugh.
This is a bad opinion. Yes, a self-aware revelation through drug use is a common storytelling device, but the entire build-up of the previous episodes and the execution of the trip makes Downer Ending something truly special.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like there's a connection between the way that BoJack needs validation after every joke and the laugh track on Horsin' Around. I'm surprised it didn't get explicitly stated by showing an early episode of Horsin' Around where they didn't have a studio audience and BoJack lost his poo poo until they brought in a group of people to laugh after every joke and it ended up really improving the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people saw "cartoon" and expected it to be laugh-a-minute, but that's not really what it's going for. The arc is really well done, and the comedic relief is, well, relief. It's more there to make it bearable than it is the main draw.

Yeah, individually its oddly structured for sure...

- Taken on their own episodes 1-4 are fairly standalone.
- Episodes 5 and 6 you see the arc start to take hold.
- Episodes 7-11are amazing with Downer Ending being the best of the season. Although I wish it had cut to black without the last line..
- In a way episode 12 feels a little out of place especially after Downer Ending, but...

...then you take a step back and its actually a fairly standard story arc and everything fits perfectly and you really can't skip any of it or move any of it out of place.

I'm glad that the intro and world building done in the first episode were strong enough to keep me watching the next 4 episodes.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I was high watching the trip epsiode and it froze my computer and kept repeating the dialogue "this is why you don't do drugs" over and over again and at first I thought it was on purpose and then I thought I was losing my mind. All in in all it was one of the best cartoon drug trip sequences I've seen.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wish they'd have done one episode, even if it was 10 minutes or so.

Raphael Bob-Waksberg was part of a Twitter Q&A yesterday afternoon, and apparently this is not out of the question.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I wrong, or is Mister Peanutbutter quite a bit smarter and more conniving than he lets on?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The intro is a hundred times better and more subtle than the show ever is

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I was high watching the trip epsiode and it froze my computer and kept repeating the dialogue "this is why you don't do drugs" over and over again and at first I thought it was on purpose and then I thought I was losing my mind. All in in all it was one of the best cartoon drug trip sequences I've seen.

Oh yeah, actually that's what I came into this thread to say, but I was high so I forgot, which is why you don't do drugs, why you don't do drugs, why you don't do drugs, why you don't do drugs.

Definitely made me think that at least some of them had to have had some decent "reference" for that entire sequence. That bit where he loses his outline and there being no barrier between him and the universe is a common thing in meditation and psychedelics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like I seriously want to meet the writing staff of bojack and go "why does everyone speak expositionally, have you literally ever heard anyone talk like this in your life, talking as if they need to explain to some immaterial audience what is happening despite it being super obvious what's happening"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Toxxupation posted:

Like I seriously want to meet the writing staff of bojack and go "why does everyone speak expositionally, have you literally ever heard anyone talk like this in your life, talking as if they need to explain to some immaterial audience what is happening despite it being super obvious what's happening"

This is a serious problem early on, when they explain all the jokes. The Andrew Garfield thing would have been funnier if they hadn't gone out of their way to point it out.

Luckily, it improves as it goes on.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

rotinaj posted:

Am I wrong, or is Mister Peanutbutter quite a bit smarter and more conniving than he lets on?

I'm not sure about smarter, but he is as much of an egotistical dick as Bojack. He's just better at hiding it because of his... dog-like... personality.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm dumb as hell, I just figured out what BoJack's cellphone ringer is.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm dumb as hell, I just figured out what BoJack's cellphone ringer is.

... It is just the theme to his show, right? I don't want to be missing something :ohdear:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Witherbone posted:

... It is just the theme to his show, right? I don't want to be missing something :ohdear:

Yeah, but it didn't even click for me until now.

Edit:
And since I'm uncultured swine, I just figured out what Princess Caroline's hold music is: http://youtu.be/zYcS2Rl6XNc?t=49s

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You're one of the lucky ones. Though it's one of my favorite jokes in the show.