Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Whoa, wait, what? Ford's working on getting a 2016 FoRS greenlit with a 2.3L EcoBoost, all-new AWD, and a contraption to control torque steer?

I need to get my life in order.

uhh also the AWD eliminates the need for the torque steer control devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have no idea what the RevoKnuckle actually does, I just love fancy-pants gimmicks with amalgam names and making baseless speculation!

Might be cool if it was a differential system.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on the system, but it's likely still needed on your typical transverse engine types.

I'm sad they aren't using the 5 cylinder, as it sounds so good!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mafoose posted:

Depends on the system, but it's likely still needed on your typical transverse engine types.

I'm sad they aren't using the 5 cylinder, as it sounds so good!

That's a Volvo engine, and Ford divorced Volvo a while back. Such a shame, it's an awesome engine, in the Mondeo as well.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

You can do what you want in life but

Don't pay 35k for a Focus.

I guess you can say the same for those terrible Evos and STIs. 40k for a Lancer and Impreza? Are you nuts?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BoostCreep posted:

I guess you can say the same for those terrible Evos and STIs. 40k for a Lancer and Impreza? Are you nuts?

I still fully intend on spending 40k on a Golf.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Car prices are up up up, 40K isn't what it used to be anymore.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

So, finally had a problem with my Veloster Turbo. One of the speakers apparently blew out yesterday for no apparent reason. Its not like I blast drum and bass at maximum volume all day or anything.

Dealership is going to replace it tomorrow, hopefully its pain free.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

I still fully intend on spending 40k on a Golf.

At least the inside of that Golf feels like 40k.

Gunktacular posted:

So, finally had a problem with my Veloster Turbo. One of the speakers apparently blew out yesterday for no apparent reason. Its not like I blast drum and bass at maximum volume all day or anything.

How many miles do you have on it?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

KakerMix posted:

How many miles do you have on it?

About 6500, I've had it for about 6 months now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BoostCreep posted:

This is a really good point. I mean, an entry level Lancer was a loving pile of poo poo. At least the base Focus is a pretty great car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guess it will be too much to ask for a 2 door if we do get it.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Gunktacular posted:

The speakers are poo poo. I got them to replace 3 of mine, then the 4th one did it and haven't bothered. Now there's a "fix" out for the speakers and its gluing them back together since they come loose easily. Speakers and the wonkiness with the head unit have been my only issues.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

skipdogg posted:

Car prices are up up up, 40K isn't what it used to be anymore.

While this is true (or more accurately, the dollar is down down down) it is still too much money for a Ford hatchback. I'm looking for an A3 replacement and if it's more like $35k I might be interested, but the 'extremely limited quantities' line makes it sound like I wouldn't want to get within 100 feet of the dealer markup nonsense around it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

bobfather posted:

You can do what you want in life but

Don't pay 35k for a Focus.

That's like saying don't pay $35k for an Impreza.

edit: ughh

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 28, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how most of the hot hatches don't get optioned up like crazy like anything from BMW, Audi or Infiniti. Trying to build anything on their website is agonizing when you end up $8k away from the base price for really nothing too extreme, options wise. It must be a luxury brand thing.

Still I'd love a 1 series hatchback, come on BMW, coupes and poo poo are lame.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

I hope so too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

priznat posted:

I like how most of the hot hatches don't get optioned up like crazy like anything from BMW, Audi or Infiniti. Trying to build anything on their website is agonizing when you end up $8k away from the base price for really nothing too extreme, options wise. It must be a luxury brand thing.

In Canada the GTI vs A3, at least for the mk5, is weird. They're essentially the same car but the GTI came decked out with only a few options (leather, xenons) while on the A3 almost everything was an option.

It was possible to option out a stripper Audi A3 with cloth seats, no LCD on the gauges, standard Golf suspension, and the basic CD player.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I drove a 2015 GTI while I was in Colorado last week and I really liked it.
Even though it was FWD, everything just felt right about it. The seating position, the actual seats, the shifter, etc.
Now that Im back home in Florida Im thinking of going and driving another one just to see if I still feel as good about it. It will also be nice to drive one at sea level.

Where I'm stuck is I really think I want the Performance Package but from what Im hearing it wont be available until January 2015?
Has anyone heard anything like that? I figured it could just be dealerships trying to persuade me out of wanting that since they have ones on the lot that dont have that option.

And then the other problem is do I want to wait a bit(who knows how long this means?) and get a Golf R instead?
Just with the price of the Autobahn GTI I assume the R is going to be at least $35,000. I wonder what options will look like on it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Franco Caution posted:

And then the other problem is do I want to wait a bit(who knows how long this means?) and get a Golf R instead?
Just with the price of the Autobahn GTI I assume the R is going to be at least $35,000. I wonder what options will look like on it?

The R is always 3k+ more than the top trim GTI but the rhetoric was always comparing the price of the base GTI with the R.
Last gen the options were 2 or 4 door and the 'base' package and the sunroof/super stereo system. This time we only get the 4 door version but we get the choice of DSG or manual. Dunno about the other options but the reason (or so I heard) we didn't get more options on the last R is because they were still made in Germany vs. Mexico. I've also heard that the 2015 Rs bound for North America are still produced in Germany so maybe it's the same this gen.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Looking at stickers, is the choice for DSG or stick really just up to the buyer?
If so this is probably the first car Ive ever looked at where one or the other option didnt cost more/less money.

Also, how is the sun screen thing on the GTI? I really could care less for a sunroof but if I end up with an autobahn its going to have that included. I ask because the one I saw at the dealership had this flimsy screen with pinholes in it rather than a proper fully sealed cover you could open or close to block out the sunroof. Does that actually block out light? I really hope so.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

See I'm on the opposite end. I've had this 2 door TDI for 3 years now and I'm tired of the giant doors. I'm ready to go back to the lower insurance cost of 4 doors and a normal length door. But I'm still screwed because I want the stick.

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

I've had a G7R DSG since April this year, drove my mate's G7 GTI a few times, and the difference between the two is substantial in terms of how they feel to drive. The R simply feels a lot more aggressive all round, and comparing the two is like night and day in terms of sheer performance.

This is a picture of it when I brought it home, but I can try and take some better ones over the weekend.

Since then I've done a full exhaust & intake, and propably will add a PnP to it as well in the next few weeks, as I am unconvinced about APR / Revo remaps which have some warranty implications for me here in South Africa

In terms of numbers, stock I ran a 13.1 best on 1/4 mile, and currently sitting at 12.7, with the guys already running software hitting 12.0 flat, all at just under 6000 feet altitude. Current power is at 235Kw/wheels, and I expect to hit 270Kw+ with PnP. This is all on 95 Octane pump fuel.

Anyway, it's my daily run-around, so mods will end there. Very happy with it, to me worth every penny over a GTI, and a big improvement in especially the Haldex system over the G6R

In terms of negatives over the G6 series, I wasn't able to get the Dynaudio system as an option, and the basic one is a little underpowered, although it copied over the touchscreen system at least. The seats are also missing the electric lumbar support, I have no idea why.

BlueBull fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 28, 2014

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Also, how is the sun screen thing on the GTI? I really could care less for a sunroof but if I end up with an autobahn its going to have that included. I ask because the one I saw at the dealership had this flimsy screen with pinholes in it rather than a proper fully sealed cover you could open or close to block out the sunroof. Does that actually block out light? I really hope so.

I have a Sportwagen with the pano roof, it uses the same type of screen. It's noticeable on how much it blocks out, but I've read other people that tint the sunroof to block the uv rays. Seems to be up to the individual on if it's effective enough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

See I'm on the opposite end. I've had this 2 door TDI for 3 years now and I'm tired of the giant doors. I'm ready to go back to the lower insurance cost of 4 doors and a normal length door. But I'm still screwed because I want the stick.

pretty sure they dont bother computing the price of insurance off the number of doors anymore--i'm sure it's far more complicated than that. For instance, state farm quoted me higher insurance rates for e90 328i than the more expensive and faster 335i.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

pretty sure they dont bother computing the price of insurance off the number of doors anymore--i'm sure it's far more complicated than that. For instance, state farm quoted me higher insurance rates for e90 328i than the more expensive and faster 335i.

Insurance told me an A3 was cheaper than a GTI of the same year based on crash statistics alone despite similarities.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Insurance told me an A3 was cheaper than a GTI of the same year based on crash statistics alone despite similarities.

Yeah, you can go on the IIHS website and look up stuff like total-loss and liability statistics for different cars. It helps explain why Lancers are more expensive to insure than a Civic, for instance (Lancer owners total their own cars, and when they do, they total a lot of other cars on the way out).

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insurance-loss-information

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

BlueBull posted:

In terms of negatives over the G6 series, I wasn't able to get the Dynaudio system as an option, and the basic one is a little underpowered, although it copied over the touchscreen system at least. The seats are also missing the electric lumbar support, I have no idea why.

Thanks for the write up. I appreciate that.
Bummer on the seats missing the electric lumbar support. That was one of the things I really liked about the autobahn GTI I drove.
If the performance package GTI isn't coming until January, I wonder when the Golf R is coming?
Right now the dealerships I talked to are treating it like its a limited edition super desired vehicle that will be hard as hell to get for its entire life.
I doubt this though.
I had 0 issues finding and driving a previous generation R32 golf. I'm sure it will be nuts for a bit, but I think the hype will die down eventually.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh trust me, they still do. The 2dr Golf is more expensive than the 4dr Golf even with it being a TDI. I pay an extra 10 bucks a month because I'm missing 2 doors.

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

Thanks for the write up. I appreciate that.
Bummer on the seats missing the electric lumbar support. That was one of the things I really liked about the autobahn GTI I drove.
If the performance package GTI isn't coming until January, I wonder when the Golf R is coming?
Right now the dealerships I talked to are treating it like its a limited edition super desired vehicle that will be hard as hell to get for its entire life.
I doubt this though.
I had 0 issues finding and driving a previous generation R32 golf. I'm sure it will be nuts for a bit, but I think the hype will die down eventually.

It's still a bit of a struggle to get your hands on a G7R here as well, and it's been out since Feb 14 or so I think here. Only way to really find one immediately is to pay around 10% to 15% premium, otherwise you're looking at 3 months waiting list or so. But I am sure it will calm down, its not limited edition so there's a lot of sales bullshit going on at Dealer level.

Keep in mind that the specs might be different in USA than to here, for example we get the de-tuned 206KW version here rather than a 221KW, leather is standard in GTI & R and so on. Maybe your seats will be different, I am not sure, as I forgot to check if SA spec GTI has it still.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, you can go on the IIHS website and look up stuff like total-loss and liability statistics for different cars. It helps explain why Lancers are more expensive to insure than a Civic, for instance (Lancer owners total their own cars, and when they do, they total a lot of other cars on the way out).

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insurance-loss-information

Thats a cool resource and mirrors what my insurance told me:

Interestingly the A3 comes up under "mid-sized station wagon" while the GTI is under "2 door small cars" which I assume makes a further difference. So I guess all the young 20 something professional women driving the A3 is helping my insurance costs. :v:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wow, the Scion tC really has some bad numbers, I wonder why?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Probably from people driving them like morons. I don't think I've ever seen a Scion tC owner drive like a human being with self-respect.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To stereotype a typical tC owner with RIMZZZ and illest stickers plastered all over it, I haven't seen a tC that wasn't being driven by an asshat, acting like an asshat, driving like an asshat in years... and I bet asshats have higher incidents of insurance claims than non-asshats.

It's not a terrible car, but the stereotype of the typical tC owner I have pretty much makes them all asshats. It's like that scene in the movie Role Models... You white? You Ben Affleck. You drive a tC? You an asshat.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Probably from people driving them like morons. I don't think I've ever seen a Scion tC owner drive like a human being with self-respect.

I suppose its probably due to the higher than normal % of young drivers, but I would think that they would correct for that in their statistics.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Because the Scion is cheap, and marketed towards the younger generation

So if they're not buying 10 year old Civic's, they buy a Scion

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks for a link to that site, I went back and pulled the 2003 to 2005 archives to see what the SRT-4 stats were, as I freely admit the majority of SRT-4 owners were young asshats.

No real surprise the WRX, SRT-4 and EVO all score in the red zone on collision and theft

The insurance on my SHO is surprisingly cheap (~900/yr for 100/300/100), but I'm guessing that's more of me being a 30 something year old married guy with a home, 2 kids and good credit... instead of a 24 year old asshat with bad credit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think the Scion TC is the new Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier. A lovely car that fools morons people into thinking it's sporty because it has 2 doors.

Then they drive it and it performs like an anemic slug and they get mad and drive it harder, and it performs bad still, it's an endless spiral.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Oh trust me, they still do. The 2dr Golf is more expensive than the 4dr Golf even with it being a TDI. I pay an extra 10 bucks a month because I'm missing 2 doors.

I really doubt it's due to the doors, no big insurance company uses "# of doors" as a rating factor. A 2 door may have a higher statistical payout in an accident, or be involved in more accidents, but the cost isn't higher just due to more doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

priznat posted:

I think the Scion TC is the new Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier. A lovely car that fools morons people into thinking it's sporty because it has 2 doors.

Then they drive it and it performs like an anemic slug and they get mad and drive it harder, and it performs bad still, it's an endless spiral.

This seems pretty accurate, I drove one with TRD suspension and it was still literally a 2 door Camry and felt slower and less fun than my '99 corolla.