Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 396 days!

wesley snypes posted:

been workin on my snypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

reign it in bsd boys before the snypgorithm becomes self-aware

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

i feel like your grounds should be tied together

i tied the grounds together, j290 had me try some things like putting a blocking cap inline with the speaker etc, but nothing im doing is giving me any kind of signal on the other side of this fukkin chip, i bought two incase one was bad or i fried something, both do the same behavior and i've not wired anything up in such a way as to blow things (its also supposedly a "short protected" IC) kinda mad and frustrated, i have some other components to make a push/pull amplifier but i've never done anything that complicated and was really hoping to rely on the formfactor here, j290 & co. suggested i pull an amp out of some lovely pc speakers so im gonna go do that at some point today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

my idiot spare time project last night and this afternoon: attaching a fan to my dsl modem. see dsl modems are poo poo and i figured the lovely broadcom chip might be getting too hot sometimes. i got a heatsink for it as well (pictured) but i dont have any thermal interface poo poo currently so i just went with the fan for now. fan is out of an old psu, got some resistors from my old car cd changer so the fan is nice and quiet. anyway thought u all might get a laugh out of the pic

50/50 mix of super glue and thermal compound.

epoxy if you want to commit

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
^^ nice recipe, ill see if the thermal paste that i had wasn't 100% chewed up by my dog. or i guess i could use mustard

cheese-cube posted:

if you actually went out and bought a modem made after the year 2009 you wouldnt have to worry about your house burning down idk

just so you know i have a few other dsl modems some of which are post 2009, this was mainly for giggles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that chart w/ the mustard was entertaining but the scientist in me needs to point out that the thermal diodes on a cpu are usually only accurate to +/- 3-5 degrees so showing that mayonnaise gets your cpu 0.3 degrees cooler than monoprice arctic silver isn't all that meaningful

to say nothing of 0.3 degrees making basically no difference at all to anything, also

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

that chart w/ the mustard was entertaining but the scientist in me needs to point out that the thermal diodes on a cpu are usually only accurate to +/- 3-5 degrees so showing that mayonnaise gets your cpu 0.3 degrees cooler than monoprice arctic silver isn't all that meaningful

to say nothing of 0.3 degrees making basically no difference at all to anything, also

so you're saying that mayonnaise is actually just as good if not better than arctic silver....

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

so you're saying that mayonnaise is actually just as good if not better than arctic silver....

i can imagine the fatty acid profile would affect it's long term viability

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thast weird because im all of it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

i tied the grounds together, j290 had me try some things like putting a blocking cap inline with the speaker etc, but nothing im doing is giving me any kind of signal on the other side of this fukkin chip, i bought two incase one was bad or i fried something, both do the same behavior and i've not wired anything up in such a way as to blow things (its also supposedly a "short protected" IC) kinda mad and frustrated, i have some other components to make a push/pull amplifier but i've never done anything that complicated and was really hoping to rely on the formfactor here, j290 & co. suggested i pull an amp out of some lovely pc speakers so im gonna go do that at some point today

ya idk whats up with ur chip it should be simple as poo poo to use judging from that literally two pages datasheet

give it more current headroom to gently caress with or something :getin:

what do you have for debugging? got a scope by any chance?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why is programming PICs so annoying?

why doesn't my code work? is is because you can't use an I/O pin without reading every word of the 300 page datasheet in order to find out which of the 5000 other pin functions are enabled by default even though that makes no sense (set a pin to output? haha it's still connected to the ADC input!)? or is it because the five registers for controlling the port are spread across five different memory pages and you forgot to change pages?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

why doesn't my code work? is is because you can't use an I/O pin without reading every word of the 300 page datasheet in order to find out which of the 5000 other pin functions are enabled by default even though that makes no sense (set a pin to output? haha it's still connected to the ADC input!)? or is it because the five registers for controlling the port are spread across five different memory pages and you forgot to change pages?

PIC16 or PIC18?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sweevo posted:

lol get hosed

read the datasheet stop being lazy datasheets are our lords and saviours

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

PIC16 (actually a 12F1822, but they're all as annoying as each other tbh)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dont use such a dumpster bin micro

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

look i know the MAKER way to do it would be to put five arduinos in a 3d printed case and have them communicate via wifi and tweet results to a thermal printer, but all it needs to do is read two buttons and output pulses when one of them is pressed

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
microchip documentation is the worst documentation i have ever read in my life

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
PIC sucks DICk.

Use an ATtiny or ATmega. AVR for lyfe. Easy to integrate, easy to program, etc

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

PIC16s are the weirdest ones of them all, not suprising (the architecture is pretty loving old). PIC24, 32 and dsPIC33 are all pretty legit, the PIC18 is probably their best 8-bit arch.

Corla Plankun posted:

microchip documentation is the worst documentation i have ever read in my life

Doc Block posted:

PIC sucks DICk.

look at how wrong these two posters are

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
didn't microchip just give up and go with a MIPS core for the PIC32 or dsPIC or whatever?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mido posted:

could use some guidance on a dumb thing because im really really bad at electronics nad i thought i knew what i was doing with this component but i dont

i have this NTE7051, http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7051.pdf which i want to use to take an existing signal and drive a speaker at audible volumes.

currently i have the speaker hooked up the GND + Signal directly and you hear it very faintly making tunes ( :3 ) but i wanna bump it up a notch so i got this low power friendly opamp from a local place

i talked to jonny290 and a friend and got different stories but here's where im at hooked up VCC and Ground (Substrate) to the power supply vcc/gnd, obviously Input and Ground (Signal) are the audio inputs, but no matter how i hook up the speaker to the output side of this chip i can't get anything to happen except to hear the speaker quietly pop like it's driving the magnet but not doing anything otherwise. any configuration of +/- on the speaker's inputs to the Output 1, Output 2 or Ground doesn't seem to be giving me sound

what am i doing dumb

edit:

poorman schematic of one of the configs suggested which does nothing

the other version of this basically has one of the two speaker wires going to pin #6 instead of say #5, both giving me nothing

edit 2: scope shows nothing, current jumps way up on my bench supply (.05 amps to .4 amps) when i hook up the speaker which bothers me so i disconnect, and to be clear i can hook the speaker directly up to signal & signal ground and you can faintly hear things still

follow up: was able to solve the issue, basically this amplifier has a 40db gain, and the line out on my audio shield was high enough voltage differential on the signal that it was trying to amplify the input signal up to like 6000v or some insane #, i hooked up a function generator we had in the office and applied a -60db gain to to the output and lowered the amplitude till i finally saw an amplified signal come out of this fukkin amplifier

the issue is that it might be trying to amplify it too much and want a super quiet signal which translates to noise :( so i might not be able to use this NTE amp and will have to pull apart a PC speaker to get the LM amplifier out of that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
anyone on microchip's team itt is suffering from sunk cost fallacy and/or stockholm syndrome

i'm sure i would be singing the same tune if i read the 1000 page manual for the can dev kit my dumbass coworker bought last year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

Sweevo posted:

all it needs to do is read two buttons and output pulses when one of them is pressed

use an attiny45/85, idiot

they cost like 85 cents and can be programmed with a $15 knockoff arduino using the arduino ide

it's extraordinarily painless

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

didn't microchip just give up and go with a MIPS core for the PIC32 or dsPIC or whatever?

PIC32 is MIPS yeah. dsPIC33 is a PIC24 core (mostly) with extra DSP hardware (DMACs, barrel shifters, etc)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

they cost like 85 cents and can be programmed with a $15 knockoff arduino using the arduino ide

it's extraordinarily painless

seriously. or you can get a "real" (as in non-arduino) programmer on adafruit in the $15-$20 range that you can use with avrdude to program that attiny85 so you can write your poo poo in plain old C.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

PIC sucks DICk.

this but xmega

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i only use the finest freescale eclipse plugins to generate a loving labyrinth of C that gives me a few handy top level API methods to call into with so i can use my jlink debugger and a mess of pogopins and an enclosure to flash my 100pin qfp monstrosity which i will then accidentally overheat with my heat gun when im too lazy to use a fin tipped soldering iron and some simple tinning tricks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a visual from some of the latest stuff I am working on

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

all this awesome looking poo poo you make makes me want to get udk too. sadly i wud likely fiddle with it for an hour then never use it again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

all this awesome looking poo poo you make makes me want to get udk too. sadly i wud likely fiddle with it for an hour then never use it again

the first hour or two was one of the most bewildered and confused moments in my life

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

the first hour or two was one of the most bewildered and confused moments in my life

i write code for a job so that is my normal state of being :roflolmao:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

looks amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thanks dude~ that portal, shiny flat panel look is easy and looks good. making a more organic level is going to be more challenging

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
pic16s are super easy to program actually, last time i tried i got my SPI writing program to run correctly the first time about an hour after starting to download the IDE

at 4 MHz it can still do two 3rd order polynominals to linearize my ADC inputs in a reasonable time (more than 50 times a second at least) and if i want it to go fast i can turn on the turbo and get 64 MHz from the internal oscillator

you literally just set up the config bits with the IDE code generator thing, set up the clock frequency, configure the port directions, read the SPI section and set CKE and CKP for whatever you need to talk to, clocks for the SPI, then write to the SPIBUF register and wait for it to finish
interrupts are all kinds of fun for things that need to be responsive, and are also not actually hard to implement

if any of this is too hard then you might as well get a raspberry pi or a copy of flowcode

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i got it working in the end. it's still dumb that PORTA, LATA, TRISA, and ANSELA are all in different memory banks though.

also i wish it had the BTG instruction like the PIC18

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
oh god i never meant you should be using assembly, i just use the free XC8 compiler for my hobby projects

i did PIC18 assembly in school and it really made me appreciate how high level C is by comparison, for loops are like magic after a month of assembly

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

current dumb project status:

all the features and components are verified on breadboard so now i will solder everything together and it will end up in that box and play music when a button is pushed and display a picture on a 96x64 rgbw oled adafruit screen i dont know what to do with

this is for a friend's birthday gift

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
For next project get a big, red button that says, "Press for dubstep" and then make it play dubstep when pressed. Like, super loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

that's some quality 3D printing