Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

There was a PC patch since last night that fixed the messed up cinematic and such, but deleted my saves. Luckily I only played the first level, but just a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am in the metro station and can't pick up any guns in the amory. In the prologue I couldn't pick up extra ammo.

Edit: I restarted the game and it works. Figures!

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 27, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It may have moved the save folder location.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So Metro 2033 Redux is really an enormous improvement, and I already loved 2033 despite its faults and the occasional weird issue. Also there's a pretty large amount of new stuff to explore and secrets to find, especially when you go to the surface for the first time.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Okay, UI in the different Redux modes:

Normal lets you see everything when you hold Tab: (I think you select consumables with the mouse, weapons are still 1/2/3).

Normal also gives you a display in the corner showing how many rounds you have left in your magazine. This only pops up when you reload, there's no HUD the rest of the time.

Ranger lets you see your consumables (and which one you've had selected), medkits, and gas mask time remaining when you hold down Tab. When you do this, it also shows how many MGR you have left in the top-right.

Both Ranger and Ranger Hardcore let you bring up your journal (and right click to bring it into focus) to see how much of everything (different ammo types included) you have available.

But Ranger Hardcore doesn't have the little hand thingy showing what you can actually interact with, and holding down Tab doesn't let you see anything, so you still have to go by the sound when you're trying to select a grenade. These two things make me not recommend it.

I recommend Survival/Ranger right now, especially since the game doesn't actually say how Ranger Hardcore makes the game "harder" beyond removing more UI than I think is necessary. (It claims to make things harder "in every way" but but combat is already lethal, so....?)

I'll look past the first five minutes to see whether Ranger lets you have more than two weapons, and how the combat is.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Okay, never mind, you still only get two weapons on Ranger, even if one of them's a sidearm. Does this seem like a moddable thing?

I mean, c'mon, it was in the original game and even the first Ranger they show has two weapons on their back and a holster.

**Okay, never mind my last post, I recommend Survival Hardcore. It's exactly what Ranger mode was in 2033 (deadly combat, few resources), and there's still no visible UI most of the time. The only additions are that the amount of ammo you have left shows up when you reload, a "you can pick this up" icon is visible when you hover over ammo and gas masks, and you get the entire inventory through Tab. Survival Hardcore's combat is just as difficult as Ranger Hardcore, too.

Ranger mode is basically no-UI mode now, and you get your chosen combination of lethal combat and resource scarcity through the other options, so I'm fine with that. Now I can start posting about how much I like having Last Light's gunplay, the weapon modding system, the massively improved performance, the additional areas, the better cutscenes and okay I'm really looking forward to this playthrough now.

***THEY GOT A DIFFERENT CHILD VOICE ACTOR AND HE'S A GOOD ONE. It's the kid in Riga, might be others as well. His lines are better too. I'm seeing a lot of small improvements. I don't want to punch every child in this game now, this is worth it.

****If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's like the Enhanced Edition of either Witcher game, but on steroids. Definitely play this version if you just started the original 2033 or were trying to choose between them. I'm still only at Bourbon, though, so I reserve the right to take this back later.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 27, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Do they still call him BORBONE ?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
There's a pretty significant amount of new side areas to find too, I've found probably 6 or 7 and I just got back from my first surface excursion.

e: actually if you count new rooms and stuff probably more like 10 or 12, it's pretty cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

MadBimber posted:

Do they still call him BORBONE ?

Do some people still call them demons, and he calls them bitches? SEENGENG PEIPS?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Playing 2033 Redux now. Do you have to kill the entire first bandit camp? I try to sneak through the door at the end in the hallway but I get beaned and restart.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'm really torn as to what difficulty setting to play on.

Metro 2033 originally had "easy, normal and hardcore" difficulty settings, with "Ranger Easy" and Ranger Hardcore" patched in later.

Personally I liked the original game's "Hardcore" difficulty rather than Ranger mode. The Easy and Normal difficulty settings were crap because enemies were bullet-sponges and there was lots of ammo everywhere so that you could deal with those bullet-sponges. But in Hardcore it only took a few bullets for either the enemies or the player to die, and while ammo was scarce you would tend to find at least a few bullets in a gun or a magazine.

While in Metro 2033's Ranger mode, they turned everything to the extreme - they made it so that everyone would die from just one or two hits, and they made ammo super rare. MGR are supposed to be so much better than regular rounds, but when it only takes a couple of bullets to kill an enemy anyway that becomes irrelevant.

And since the player is super fragile you are encouraged to be stealthy, which means bullet type doesn't matter, you're headshotting everyone anyway.

And you'd find a corpse with an assault rifle and two spare magazines... and the gun and the magazines would each have ONE SINGLE BULLET in them. Which was completely absurd, a side-effect of the original game's "ammo becomes rare on high difficulties" turned up to maximum, beyond what made any rational sense. No-one would carry 3 bullets in 3 separate magazines.

So yeah, the original Hardcore mode was the perfect one for me. But I'm not sure what the equivalent of that is in Metro Redux.

It sounds like Survival Hardcore's enemy toughness and ammo scarcity is the same as the original game's Ranger mode. Which I don't want. I like having to scavenge for stuff, but I don't want to go searching secret areas to find one solitary bullet. I also like to be able to have the occasional guns-blazing firefight. (And enemies have no hesitation in blasting away full-auto at the player, so it's clear there isn't supposed to be a massive ammo shortage causing people to only have a couple of bullets.)

Does this mean that "Survival Normal" is like the original game's non-ranger Hardcore mode? With "Spartan Normal" and "Spartan Hardcore" being more like original easy and normal?

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

your evil twin posted:

It sounds like Survival Hardcore's enemy toughness and ammo scarcity is the same as the original game's Ranger mode. Which I don't want. I like having to scavenge for stuff, but I don't want to go searching secret areas to find one solitary bullet. I also like to be able to have the occasional guns-blazing firefight. (And enemies have no hesitation in blasting away full-auto at the player, so it's clear there isn't supposed to be a massive ammo shortage causing people to only have a couple of bullets.)

Does this mean that "Survival Normal" is like the original game's non-ranger Hardcore mode? With "Spartan Normal" and "Spartan Hardcore" being more like original easy and normal?

Now that I've had more time to play with it, Survival Hardcore actually has a ton of ammo, not nearly the same scarcity as in 2033 original. You wouldn't have any problems with it.

...I'm kind of wondering what Spartan mode feels like. I really wish they just let you pick and choose all the different parts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Playing on Spartan, and the first ammo pick up in the prologue are 56 rifle rounds. :v: Ammo is hella plentiful so far, but we will see further down the line.

Edit: First dead guy outside the first Bandit encounter ever had ammo on him - 17 rifle rounds and 4 revolver rounds.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Okay, never mind, you still only get two weapons on Ranger, even if one of them's a sidearm. Does this seem like a moddable thing?

I mean, c'mon, it was in the original game and even the first Ranger they show has two weapons on their back and a holster.

Yeah, this is definitely the most annoying change to the game. Everything else I could live with but sticking you back at 2 guns only on the Ranger difficulties is pretty ugh.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Looks like Survival Hardcore mode for me then. The two-weapon limit put me right off trying Ranger mode in Last Light.

I hope that the ammo isn't too abundant in Survival Hardcore and that it is at similar levels to original Hardcore mode in 2033. (I'm guessing that in Spartan mode you must be swimming in ammo.)

If you aren't playing in Ranger mode, does it now let you carry 3 guns of any type, Last Light style?

Metro 2033 was refreshingly sensible by letting you carry two rifle-sized guns and a pistol. Since, dur, you carry a pistol in a different place.

Metro Last Light let you carry 3 weapons of any sort, and then limited you to two in Ranger mode. Was there anyone that seriously LIKED that decision? I thought people that were into Ranger mode were realism nuts, I'd have thought they'd have been up in arms about that when Last Light was released.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Beat 2033 on the XBox a while back and recently did Last Light on the PC, so I got 2033R for another playthrough of the first. Can't even imagine how much more polish LLR could have. Hardest difficulty - no UI, scarce resources, old-fashioned watch, deadly combat - is probably going to be a mistake.

And holy poo poo, did the original game's animated load/new/options/etc screen have Anna and your son walking around in the background?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a bug in 2033 Redux; if you buy a Shambler (the goofy shotgun that takes forever to reload) in Market and stick a laser on it it'll crash the game when you try to exit the weapon seller.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

People in this thread mentioned that each Redux version is supposed to be 12$ if you already own the games. Was that an offer limited by location / time / something, because I definitely have both game on my steam account, but each Redux version costs 24$.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't pick up the starting machine gun in the armory. Guess I'll wait until this is patched heavily in the next few weeks.

Edit: Also blanking my second monitor. When the game is running.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 28, 2014

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
I've been enjoying 2033 Redux, mostly because the engine is slick enough to let me play it in 3d.
I'm not a huge fan of 3d games, but this works SO well.

It has also been sufficiently long enough since I played through it, that it mostly seems fresh.

Is there a huge difference between Last Light and Last Light RR?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Xander77 posted:

People in this thread mentioned that each Redux version is supposed to be 12$ if you already own the games. Was that an offer limited by location / time / something, because I definitely have both game on my steam account, but each Redux version costs 24$.

Yeah the deal was preorder only.

Charlie Brown posted:

Is there a huge difference between Last Light and Last Light RR?

Wondering that as well; nothing I read made it sound worth it. It's enough that I now own three copies of 2033.

floor is lava posted:

I can't pick up the starting machine gun in the armory. Guess I'll wait until this is patched heavily in the next few weeks.

I thought I had that problem too, till I tried pressing E on it for longer than I thought necessary.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Xander77 posted:

It's not unlocked everywhere.
I'm in the UK, but playing with a VPN.

Do you want me to attempt to gift it to you at the reduced price?

edit: ignore that, it has gone up

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What is the best way to reduce heat production in Metro 2033? I adjusted Hitman Absolution so it looks exactly the same as ultra with my custom settings and reduced heat production by 20 degrees Celsius.

It's quite frustrating that the graphical settings are not customizable at all. I run 2033 at around 60 to 70 Celsius, I'm betting I could bring that down to 50 somehow.. I just don't know how and google searches aren't really informative. Just a bunch of people "dealing with it".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

floor is lava posted:

Edit: Also blanking my second monitor. When the game is running.

For some amazingly stupid reason you have to hold down E (or whatever is your use key) to grab it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NeoSeeker posted:

What is the best way to reduce heat production in Metro 2033? I adjusted Hitman Absolution so it looks exactly the same as ultra with my custom settings and reduced heat production by 20 degrees Celsius.

It's quite frustrating that the graphical settings are not customizable at all. I run 2033 at around 60 to 70 Celsius, I'm betting I could bring that down to 50 somehow.. I just don't know how and google searches aren't really informative. Just a bunch of people "dealing with it".

What sort of setup do you have where 60-70 is to high? That seems like a fairly normal temp from what I see.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I assume he's talking GPU. If he's talking CPU, fair enough. Usually i'd just suggest compressed air and cleaning the thing out if that's the case.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 28, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

dogstile posted:

What sort of setup do you have where 60-70 is to high? That seems like a fairly normal temp from what I see.

Yeah, don't get these mixed up with CPU temperatures. 60-70 is high for CPU, but for a GPU, high is 90-100.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think he just wants to have it run cooler. Fan noise maybe?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm just neurotic about temperatures. It makes me feel uneasy to run above 60. The in-keyboard heat monitor doesn't help.
I have been playing though. It's quite frustrating that even after all the config file optimization tricks the game still doesn't run as good as a game released in 2010 should on this computer that was built 4 years after.

I could give a flying gently caress less about temperatures now. I don't care if it kills my system. This game is so loving beautiful it literally brought tears to my eyes. Not to mention with object motion blur and these other settings...

The game looks like those lovely pre-rendered trailers you see at E3, Except it's actually running with graphics that good. The first fight of the game I was utterly gobsmacked. I love how all the visual elements combine to create a really chaotic atmosphere. This is probably the first time in my life graphics were the main reason why I want to play a game.

Also 2033 is poo poo optimized, and the lack of customizable graphical settings kills it. It's actually fairly retarded because the very high settings run things that conflict with other options. These conflictions are infamously widely known as combinations that don't do anything to improve the graphics and simply drain resources and nothing else.

I swear to loving god Devs are putting in useless yet intensive settings to make people feel that their setup is obsolete. I said it before but I spent some time on the newest hitman game (2013 release and the current top benchmarking game) and made the game run 20 Celsius cooler without any hits to performance or the graphics.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 28, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/27/metro-2033-redux-day-one-patch-adds-volumetric-lighting-to-some-scenes/

So hey, look at this. Volumetric lightning sure makes a difference.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Is the redux actually optimized? It's sad when the sequel runs exponentially better than the first game.

It's one of my top "to buy" games. I knew it was going to be buggy as gently caress and require a day one patch.. and I was right. Not like it would take a fuckin psychic to foretell poo poo like that from a developer like this.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 28, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Find me a way to copy the original voice of Artyom into 2033 redux instead of the new guy and I'm pretty much good to play this for the next 3 months.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Find me a way to copy the original voice of Artyom into 2033 redux instead of the new guy and I'm pretty much good to play this for the next 3 months.

The original Artyom sounded like a moron with a headcold.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got the Redux version on PS4. I am completely lost on what difficulty I should start on. I have never played, but should I play it on ranger my first time or hardcore or normal?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

blackguy32 posted:

Just got the Redux version on PS4. I am completely lost on what difficulty I should start on. I have never played, but should I play it on ranger my first time or hardcore or normal?

I'm a big fan of Ranger difficulty, it's how I played my first time. Survivor Hard or Ranger Normal if you want a HUD.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

One thing to bear in mind is that Ranger mode now limits you to carrying 2 weapons instead of 3. Originally only Metro Last Light did that, but Metro 2033 Redux now does that as well.

I personally think that's a bad decision, especially as they've increased the amount of weapon customisation in the game. If you can only carry 2 guns at a time then you'll end up in situations where you've got an awesome gun that you've spent lots of money on upgrading... and you run out of ammo for it and have no choice but to drop it to pick up whatever random weapon is lying around. Which means that to avoid that situation you don't risk spending your money on upgrades, and so you actually get to see less of the game's features.

There's also the fact that in Ranger mode stealth is pretty much mandatory, while in non-ranger modes stealth is a very good idea but if you screw up you can still fight your way out. And since Metro 2033 Redux is supposed to have improved combat mechanics from Metro Last Light it is probably worth experiencing some combat occasionally.

I'm curious, how are throwing knives in Redux? Have they made them work differently depending on whether you are in Survivor or Spartan? In original Metro 2033 knives seemed pretty realistic (you had to hit someone in the right place, and they could bounce off objects on their armour). In Last Light they made them always an instant kill.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just mod the hell out of a Lolife until it can do basically anything you want it to.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

your evil twin posted:

One thing to bear in mind is that Ranger mode now limits you to carrying 2 weapons instead of 3. Originally only Metro Last Light did that, but Metro 2033 Redux now does that as well.

I personally think that's a bad decision, especially as they've increased the amount of weapon customisation in the game. If you can only carry 2 guns at a time then you'll end up in situations where you've got an awesome gun that you've spent lots of money on upgrading... and you run out of ammo for it and have no choice but to drop it to pick up whatever random weapon is lying around. Which means that to avoid that situation you don't risk spending your money on upgrades, and so you actually get to see less of the game's features.

There's also the fact that in Ranger mode stealth is pretty much mandatory, while in non-ranger modes stealth is a very good idea but if you screw up you can still fight your way out. And since Metro 2033 Redux is supposed to have improved combat mechanics from Metro Last Light it is probably worth experiencing some combat occasionally.

I'm curious, how are throwing knives in Redux? Have they made them work differently depending on whether you are in Survivor or Spartan? In original Metro 2033 knives seemed pretty realistic (you had to hit someone in the right place, and they could bounce off objects on their armour). In Last Light they made them always an instant kill.

Im pretty sure most of the game mechanics are ripped right out of Last Light considering that they just moved the engine over to 2033.

I think I ended up going with Survival hardcore for Metro 2033. The book was pretty cheap on Kindle so I bought that too. Should I wait til after I beat the game to start reading it?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Party Plane Jones posted:

The original Artyom sounded like a moron with a headcold.

He at least sounded like someone from Eastern Europe. The guy doing the new voice is doing the Russian version of what Keanu Reeves did in Dracula.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
This game looks incredible on PS4. The screenshots look pretty, but it look way better in action still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure exactly how it works this time but I've had a armored dude get staggered and go alert when a knife hit him but the 2nd one put him down. So they are still crazy powerful but not just auto kill like LL.

Finally decided to play Ranger Hardcore, and while its been fun the loving Demons are really god drat huge bullet sponges and its weird actually fearing going outside with them around.

• Locked thread