Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

What is this?
Well the Kingdom Hearts series is what happens when a Square-Enix (Squaresoft at the time) executive and a Disney executive ride an elevator together and the Square executive mentions offhandedly how cool it would be to have Final Fantasy characters in a game with Disney characters. The series has been developed for the most part by Tetsuya Nomura. Whether that has been a good or bad thing is for each viewer to decide on their own. I tend to think that Mr. Nomura has a unique style of storytelling that has really made this series something interesting.

I decided to do this LP project for two reasons. The first is that I really love this series. The second is that we are getting Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX this December and I thought it would be a great time to revisit the series and have some fun with it.

Is there any bonus content with this game?
Unless you are talking about the Final Mix content for Kingdom Hearts, then no there isn't.

Upload Schedule
I have changed this to two updates per week with one on Monday and one on Friday.

Archived Playlists - Cut (No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
Chapter 01 - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD
Chapter 02 - Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD
Chapter 03v1 - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie Riff Version 1 (w/ TheShapeshifter100, Silver Falcon and Senerio)
Chapter 03v2 - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie Riff Version 2 (w/ Rhiodise and Prythian)
Chapter 04 - Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD
Chapter 05 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD
Chapter 06 - Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded Movie Riff

Archived Playlists - Uncut (Commentary Over Cutscenes)
Chapter 01 - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD
Chapter 02 - Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD
Chapter 03v1 - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie Riff Version 1 (w/ TheShapeshifter100, Silver Falcon and Senerio)
Chapter 03v2 - Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Movie Riff Version 2 (w/ Rhiodise and Prythian)
Chapter 04 - Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD
Chapter 05 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD
Chapter 06 - Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded Movie Riff

Journal Archives
Jiminy's Journal (Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD)
Jiminy's Journal and D-Report (Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories HD)
Jiminy's Journal (Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD)
The Journal of Terra, Ventus and Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD)

Animation History With Scarybagels
Cinderella

Fanart
Senerio shows us the answer to all questions related to Kingdom Hearts.

Pixeltendo explains what happens when Ansem gets his wish granted at the end of Kingdom Hearts.

System_Logoff has a Futurama comic for us.

Silegna brings up a good point about the Heartless.

Bmanin2288 brings up a good point about the Nobodies.

Rahonavis brings in some really cool sketches.

Rhaonavis brings us some more fanart with something that was missing from Atlantica. Tuna nets to ensnare everyone for comedic effect.

Rhaonavis brings us one last set of comics.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Reserved

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm glad you're doing this as a whole series LP. I didn't own a PS console (I lived in a nintendo then xbox house) but at a friends house I played the very beginning of the game and desperately wished to own the game. So it should be good to see the series.

If you want commentators I would be happy to join in.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

I'm glad you're doing this as a whole series LP. I didn't own a PS console (I lived in a nintendo then xbox house) but at a friends house I played the very beginning of the game and desperately wished to own the game. So it should be good to see the series.
I appreciate the interest. I have definitely been looking forward to doing this series for a while now. The only thing that worries me about it is if I will have the money I need to be able to afford a custom-modded 3DS for Dream Drop Distance as well as a PS4 for KH3 when those games roll up. On the other hand, going by how long it took me just to finish X-Men Legends I probably have at least a year before I need to worry about that.

Lord Windy posted:

If you want commentators I would be happy to join in.
Can I get your Skype name so I can get in contact with you?

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 24, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Woops, I am an idiot. My Skype name is windyruler

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Just sent you a contact request.

Stimm
Aug 6, 2009
Is this going to be a 100% LP?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Indeed it will be. Well, the only thing I will not be doing is gathering the Matsutake rank and the one above it from the Blue Shrooms because I have never been that good at it. Other than that though, yes it will be 100%, so I guess you could consider it 99.95% playthrough.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah good. You got a good batter with your guests and you know what you are talking about. I will be following this.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So! I've only watched the first video so far, but I had a few comments to make about some things (because goddammit I know too much about Kingdom Hearts and these LPs are basically traps for me).

Anyways, the choice made here of the Sword while giving up the Staff is both the best way to simply breeze through the main parts of the game, but it's also the complete opposite of the usual recommended choice. Generally, people will tell you to pick the Staff and give up the Sword. Namely, these choices here not only influence your level ups, but also your base stats, and picking the Staff gives you an extra MP at the start of the game. Unlike your Strength or Defense stats, you cannot gain this MP back in any other way, and in addition to that your level ups will give you another MP for picking the Staff in the long run. The reason the Sword is given up is because giving up the Shield gets rid of one of your... item slots, I believe.

In other words, for people who care about such things, you end up with the most options available to you and the best stats by picking Staff and giving up Sword. Another reason that this was recommended that doesn't apply to Final Mix is that the Staff used to get Scan ridiculously early on, but the abilities from level ups got shuffled around and changed a bit in Final Mix.

A lot of people also go for faster experience after 40 instead of before it. I'm not sure if it has any benefit in the long run, like less experience overall, but it just feels better for me. Something about how gaining levels faster later feels like ramping up to me.

Lastly, a note on the Darkside: While not shown off in that video, if you run up its arms and combo it in the face, your finishing move will get tech points from it much like reflecting its shots back at it does. That being said, only damaging it with the shots is probably the best way to get the most experience from it.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

By not spending upwards of an hour fighting people over and over again on Destiny Island, you're not presenting us with a realistic first playthrough of this game (who else spent hours doing nothing but knocking Wakka's projectiles back at him).

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

By not spending upwards of an hour fighting people over and over again on Destiny Island, you're not presenting us with a realistic first playthrough of this game (who else spent hours doing nothing but knocking Wakka's projectiles back at him).

Would you really want me to? I mean, I can go back, restart the entire LP and do that, but I would only do it for you good sir. But, yeah, I do remember doing that on my first playthrough back on the PS2. I expected the game to actually be pretty hard since I chosen the Expert difficulty mode, but I could not have been more wrong. Final Fantasy X was more difficult overall for me than even the Expert difficulty on Kingdom Hearts for the PS2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is my guilty pleasure video game series for sure, I absolutely love it despite only owning one game in the whole run (GBA Chain of Memories, though I'm in the market for a copy of DDD...). I even bought a copy of KH2 for my girlfriend's roommate a few years just so I could play it, after starting it on a friend's borrowed PS2 when it first came out and not finishing it. It's a fool's errand to explain to others, and a complete embarrassment to play in front of most people, but something about the gameplay and combat is so appealing to me, and I love how it's embraced its own insanity. I really wish my girlfriend's brother has let me buy one of his PS3s off of him, because I really want to play 2.5 but can't convince myself that buying a used PS3 for "one" game is a good idea. Alas.

As for commenting, if you can deal with trying to rip these games as often as I can, I'd be down to commentate once in a while. PM me sometime, I have a resume of making fun of Kingdom Hearts for SA and the internet at large :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
B-b-b-b-but muh Blackbelt Boobman and Kung Fuh Jesus-chan...

Kidding aside, I'm kind of shocked you've decided to tackle the entire series. I mean, it's a perfect time since the 2.5HD Remix will come out in December (hi future people!), but you've got the balls of a Siberian tiger to do all of them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Prythian posted:

A lot of people also go for faster experience after 40 instead of before it. I'm not sure if it has any benefit in the long run, like less experience overall, but it just feels better for me. Something about how gaining levels faster later feels like ramping up to me.

It does. Starting at dusk means that it takes overall less EXP to hit the level cap then the other two options.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

It does. Starting at dusk means that it takes overall less EXP to hit the level cap then the other two options.

The problem is that getting to Level 99 isn't necessary to beat the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Getting even to the high 60s/70s faster is a big help for the post game though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Long ago, the people were dying at the end of the world. But all was not yet lost, for Sora still heard the song in his heart.

Looking forward to where you take this. I'm curious to see what else has changed in the rerelease.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

As true as that may be with the difficulty mode I chose I should be able to whip a certain secret boss by the time I hit level 40. That certain boss gives you at least one level up every time you fight him because of how much experience he drops.

Gologle posted:

B-b-b-b-but muh Blackbelt Boobman and Kung Fuh Jesus-chan...

Kidding aside, I'm kind of shocked you've decided to tackle the entire series. I mean, it's a perfect time since the 2.5HD Remix will come out in December (hi future people!), but you've got the balls of a Siberian tiger to do all of them.
It also that like I've said I really, really like this series. I was going to do the entire series last year but while I was thinking about that news came out that 1.5 had a secret set of credits that showed scenes from all of the other games (minus 3D, of course) so I decided to wait and see if those secret credits were going to amount to anything like everybody was thinking they would. Lo and behold maybe 5 months after 1.5 released we get an announcement from Square-Enix that they doing a 2.5 HD ReMIX which would give us the Final Mix versions of KH2 and BBS in English for the first time.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Prythian posted:

A Choice Between Weapons

Also never, ever, ever, EVER give up the Shield because then you won't get Guard until like level 28 and holy poo poo you want Guard. At least that's what happen if you pick Staff and give up Shield. Might be different from Sword? But yeah, picking Staff and tossing Sword is ostensibly the "best" starting selection, especially since some spells in this game are super good.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also never, ever, ever, EVER give up the Shield because then you won't get Guard until like level 28 and holy poo poo you want Guard. At least that's what happen if you pick Staff and give up Shield. Might be different from Sword? But yeah, picking Staff and tossing Sword is ostensibly the "best" starting selection, especially since some spells in this game are super good.

Actually, your ability list per level up is based entirely on your first choice, which leads me to something I forgot to mention. The 'best' choices, +Staff/-Sword, and Dusk, make the game DIFFICULT for the first few worlds unless you're already good at the game. Not recommended for a beginner. For someone good at parrying and avoiding attacks, though, this is fine. But yeah, you still don't get Guard for a long time with the 'best' choice.

Also, literally every spell in the game is amazing and I will be going into detail on that when we actually get each spell.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Hey, a KH LP. Question: How the hell did you get the opening song past the copyright? I've tried uploading a KHLP, but uh, that doesn't work, as it's flagged immediately.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

Hey, a KH LP. Question: How the hell did you get the opening song past the copyright? I've tried uploading a KHLP, but uh, that doesn't work, as it's flagged immediately.

I have no idea. I was extremely lucky and my best guess is that my co-commentators and I were talking loud enough at just the right time so that the Content ID bot didn't detect the song. I have heard that the bot won't detect the song if you muffle the first 30 seconds to 1 minute either by talking over it or lowering the volume. Don't take that information for granted but that is just about the only reasoning I can come up with.

Prythian posted:

Also, literally every spell in the game is amazing and I will be going into detail on that when we actually get each spell.
Prythian, I appreciate the assist because it is an incredible help to have someone do a little bit of the explaining for me as I honestly don't remember every little detail. I have beaten the game multiple times over on the PS2 but after a certain point it just becomes muscle memory and it is really hard to explain why or how everything works the way it does in these games.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So I was given this game myself recently by a friend who loves Disney and will blindly buy anything related to it, but does not have the patience to play this for some reason. What would be the best choices for a complete beginner to the series? Sword, Staff or Shield? And the levelling choices? I'd appreciate any and all tips you can throw my way.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Roro posted:

So I was given this game myself recently by a friend who loves Disney and will blindly buy anything related to it, but does not have the patience to play this for some reason. What would be the best choices for a complete beginner to the series? Sword, Staff or Shield? And the levelling choices? I'd appreciate any and all tips you can throw my way.

It actually really doesn't matter in the slightest, just pick out whichever one you like the best and go with it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, the choices really only matter for replay value/min-maxers. I had a blast with it my first time through, and I think I kept Sword, dropped Staff, and started in the afternoon.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
While I agree that it really doesn't matter except for min/maxing purposes, generally I think picking the Sword is the 'intended' way of playing the game for the first time.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Pick Shield and you get Guard at like level 9, which is super cool. But as discussed, its not really essential, just a thing I like having around. You really can't go wrong with the choices since they all have nice bonuses.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I hope you plan on making a gummi ship made entirely out of guns when you can, because that's the best kind of gummi ship.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I hope you plan on making a gummi ship made entirely out of guns when you can, because that's the best kind of gummi ship.

I did that. It was fun, until I took a hit and died.
Also Question: What's your spoiler policy? I didn't see it in the Original Post.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, he has mentioned and posted a picture of Ansem before his proper appearance, so I guess it's not strict.

On that note, why all the hate for Tidus, OP? He whines far less than Squall.

masam
May 27, 2010
Hey, just wanted to get in on the ground floor and say good luck to you, and if you need anymore co commentators i've been looking at getting into this stuff! I've got PM's and Skype.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, he has mentioned and posted a picture of Ansem before his proper appearance, so I guess it's not strict.

On that note, why all the hate for Tidus, OP? He whines far less than Squall.

I think it's the fact Tidus' game wasn't the best.
Edit: Also, Tidus is far more vocal than Squall is about whining.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This is the 3rd SA KH LP I've subscribed to. Good luck! I never finished the first game and got one of the ds games for super cheap in the bargain bin and found it completely incomprehensible so I'm excited to finally get the entire story.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is the 3rd SA KH LP I've subscribed to. Good luck! I never finished the first game and got one of the ds games for super cheap in the bargain bin and found it completely incomprehensible so I'm excited to finally get the entire story.

Which one? 358/2 or RE:Coded? If it was 358/2 yeah, you'd be confused, if it was Coded? Say goodbye to your sanity trying to make heads or tails of it.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012

Silegna posted:

I did that. It was fun, until I took a hit and died.

The answer is to put more guns on it. I don't know how, just do it.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Okay, I just wanted to post before I post up the update for tomorrow and let you guys know a couple of things that are going on. First of all, there will be four episodes this week as opposed to the traditional two because I am going to be out of the country on a cruise next week and will be unable to post an update. The internet on this cruise costs an arm and a leg to use. Second of all, if anyone who is interested in co-commentating could post your Skype name I will create a schedule for who will be on which week. My internet at home is pretty crappy and can only support four people including myself so I need to let my friend who would be hosting the call know your Skype name so he and I can add you to our contact lists.

Edit: Also if you will take a look at the opening post I have updated the Spoiler Policy even though I should have remembered that from the get-go. If you could look it over and just make sure you adhere to the policy depending on the game you are spoiling then that would be super-special-awesome.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 29, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Okay, I just wanted to post before I post up the update for tomorrow and let you guys know a couple of things that are going on. First of all, there will be four episodes this week as opposed to the traditional two because I am going to be out of the country on a cruise next week and will be unable to post an update. The internet on this cruise costs an arm and a leg to use. Second of all, if anyone who is interested in co-commentating could post your Skype name I will create a schedule for who will be on which week. My internet at home is pretty crappy and can only support four people including myself so I need to let my friend who would be hosting the call know your Skype name so he and I can add you to our contact lists.

Edit: Also if you will take a look at the opening post I have updated the Spoiler Policy even though I should have remembered that from the get-go. If you could look it over and just make sure you adhere to the policy depending on the game you are spoiling then that would be super-special-awesome.

Question about the co-commentary. Do you yourself record the skype call?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

Question about the co-commentary. Do you yourself record the skype call?

I do yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
If you have the chance, I recommend co-commentating. I had a blast with Jayman/Arcturus and the gang.

• Locked thread