Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radlum
May 13, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Amazon has five new pilots up that people can vote on to see if they go to series.

They all sound like fake TV shows in a sitcom, specially the Ron Perlman one (and yet it's the only one that sounds mildly interesting).

Where Alpha House and Betas any good? I haven't seen any discussion or praise for those shows, besides when they started, then they just dissapeared from pop culture discussion. Why is Amazon still doing this if none of their shows have gotten Netflix level of attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Wow, everybody needs to watch this. I guess this is like what a TVIV live post thread would sound like if it were made human. It could be applied to any vaguely exciting or interesting episode of television.

I have never been that excited about television before in my life, but if it were to ever happen I'd like to think it'd be on something better than Smallville.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

David Chase has officially answered the is Tony Soprano dead at the end of Sopranos question.

Oh also the Discovery reality show Sons of Guns got cancelled. BECAUSE THE MAIN DUDE RAPED HIS 11 YO DAUGHTER!!

More like "David Chase is officially tired of being asked that question so gave an answer that wouldn't make people ask more questions"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh also the Discovery reality show Sons of Guns got cancelled. BECAUSE THE MAIN DUDE RAPED HIS 11 YO DAUGHTER!!

Holy poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I haven't checked but apparently Sons of Guns got the Stalin treatment and you can't find a single mention of it anywhere on the Discovery Web Presence.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I'm actually pleased by this. The second season was an order of magnitude better than the first, even if I'm...unsure of how well they'll be able to follow on from the ending.

If you are insane enough to write the season two finale of Hemlock Grove, you are insane enough to figure out how to roll it into season three. Unless the exotic hallucinogens you were using were no longer available, at which point....just grab a handful of pills and hope for the best.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kaynorr posted:

If you are insane enough to write the season two finale of Hemlock Grove, you are insane enough to figure out how to roll it into season three. Unless the exotic hallucinogens you were using were no longer available, at which point....just grab a handful of pills and hope for the best.

What happens?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

What happens?

It's mostly a pretty satisfying season finale, with big confrontations and wrap-ups to the storylines to the season. Then we hit the last two minutes which are usually setting up the cliffhanger that will roll into the next season. OK, the baby is in danger (again), no huge surprise there. Let's go race up to the roof and save her and...

Jesus gently caress. What the goddamn gently caress is that? Who even sketches out something like that? Who thought that a giant floating man/bat/mantaray/octopus thing was a good idea? For a show that is mostly rooted in classic monsters and mad science, something utterly out of context and ridiculous suddenly appears.

Now granted, that's a large part of what I watch Hemlock Grove for. But you have to be nuts to write, design, and actually film it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You should find and post a pic of that monster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

Semi TV related question: Why does DJ Qualls keep getting work? He seems like the kind of person best suited for doing voice work, and not showing his face to a camera.

And just for the record, DJ Qualls is awesome and should keep getting work.

He's ugly, but he's Hollywood ugly. Nobody wants to see real ugly on screen. He fills a niche.

For further reading see: Benedict Cumberbatch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He's ugly, but he's Hollywood ugly. Nobody wants to see real ugly on screen. He fills a niche.

For further reading see: Benedict Cumberbatch

I saw Benedict Cumberbatch in like a two minute scrub role on Spooks last night. They also had House MD playing a guy with the same accent I do when I'm making fun of british people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I generally use the accent Dick Van Dyke uses in Mary Poppins for my English accent touchstone. English people love it. Swinging my arms is part of the impersonation.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

zoux posted:

David Chase has officially answered the is Tony Soprano dead at the end of Sopranos question.
This wasn't true.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Re: Amazon pilots, The Cosmopolitans is very good, especially if you like Whit Stillman. Seems to be the only one getting a particularly positive press reaction so far too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AMH season 4 quick cast picture:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I see Strong Man, Bearded Lady, Siamese Twins, No Arms Woman and Three Boobs Lady (and a woman in a birdcage). What are Evan Peters, Frances Conroy and Denis O' Hare supposed to be?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah I haven't checked but apparently Sons of Guns got the Stalin treatment and you can't find a single mention of it anywhere on the Discovery Web Presence.

The whole situation was kind of crazy. He got accused of molestation and claimed that it was just an ex-employee getting revenge by making up a story. The daughter that was on the show came out in support of him but then his 12 year old daughter said he's been raping her for about a year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The whole situation was kind of crazy. He got accused of molestation and claimed that it was just an ex-employee getting revenge by making up a story. The daughter that was on the show came out in support of him but then his 12 year old daughter said he's been raping her for about a year.

He's been arrested and charged with molestation afaik.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GraPar posted:

Re: Amazon pilots, The Cosmopolitans is very good, especially if you like Whit Stillman. Seems to be the only one getting a particularly positive press reaction so far too.

Hand of God's pilot is flat-out unpleasant. For starters, it's far more boring than a show about God guiding Ron Perlman and Garrett Dillahunt onto a path of vigilante justice should be, and when it does get going it's hard to know who to root for. The "God" figure of the show, or at least the closest representation of him so far, is this young Peter Popoff motherfucker who I trust as far as Ron Kovic can punt a football. Which is kind of the point, especially when they get into the last minutes and suggest that Perlman's character is suffering a psychotic break, his visions aren't real, but this huckster is feeding his delusions to dangerous effect. But if it was just that, that would mean he humiliated and then had Dillahunt kill an innocent officer over his own psychotic break, and I'm not sure I want to follow a character like that. But by the same token, the reveal that the officer was NOT innocent and that he DID rape Perlman's daughter-in-law makes things feel too easy, and I'm not sure I want to follow a story like that.

The whole thing is just weird and uncomfortable, and it takes like five years to even ramp up to it in the first place. I'm happy to give it one more episode if they bring it to series but that's about all the rope I can spare for the show.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Well, there goes my enthusiasm.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Everyone should support Whit Stillman. Damsels in Distress is a great loving movie. If you say you hate it, you are a poopman.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

They also had House MD playing a guy with the same accent I do when I'm making fun of british people.

Little known fact: Hugh Laurie is actually British and was a famous British television personality before landing the role of House, MD.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh word?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Oh word?

Yes, he was the star of Fawlty Tower and appeared alongside British personality Stephen Fry in A Touch of Fry and Laurie.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, he was the star of Fawlty Tower

No, you're thinking of Rowan Atkinson. Hugh Laurie was in Monty Python.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

No, you're thinking of Rowan Atkinson. Hugh Laurie was in Monty Python.
No, you're thinking of Martin Freeman. Rowan Atkinson was in The Office.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just read an article stating that Netflix got the exclusive streaming rights to NBC's The Blacklist and are paying $2 million per episode. That seems pretty crazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't that show like, terrible?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Isn't that show like, terrible?

Yeah but it's v popular + NBC coowns hulu

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Blacklist is pretty terrible except for everything James Spader does.

Having it on Netflix makes it easier to just watch James Spader scenes I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Longmire was canceled but the producers are stating that they'll be shopping it around to other networks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Longmire was canceled but the producers are stating that they'll be shopping it around to other networks.

I could see Netflix picking it up for another season.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I could see Netflix picking it up for another season.

The third season was really bad and pretty much shat on all the characters that aren't Longmire or his... what do you call a magical negro that's a native american?.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Vincent posted:

The third season was really bad and pretty much shat on all the characters that aren't Longmire or his... what do you call a magical negro that's a native american?.

LaBamba

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vincent posted:

Don't magic redskins predate magic negros by about 100 years? Also, stop calling them negros. The proper term is people of color.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or "friend."

poo poo, should have went with "friend" first. Goddamn it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

More like "David Chase is officially tired of being asked that question so gave an answer that wouldn't make people ask more questions"

I'm glad that his angry, offhand reply to the rear end in a top hat writer was in an easily noticeable, huge, bolded font so I didn't have to read the endless word vomit of the article to find this out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that article is kind of ridiculous. "Here's the guy's answer to a yes/no question, but what does it really mean?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress that writing and gently caress the idea behind that writing. People just don't want to think on their own.

Which is good because I'm going to tell you how you should think. Tony Soprano is resting six feet under mofos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Deadpool posted:

Lex Luthor was one of the parts that was very good. Along with the best live action version of Lois Lane as well. Smallville wasn't all poo poo, just mostly poo poo. It had just enough good stuff in it to string people along that were even vaguely interested in it for years.

That's about right. I quit during the season that aired right before Superman Returns released. I remember the exact episode too. Clark told Lana his secret and then reversed time to take it back.

• Locked thread