Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

Speaking of, I remember there being a small cave with a large double door in it somewhere on the south island, right on the water level. I think it was east of the police station. I dont remember ever going there during the story, and it was locked in free roam. Was that used in the CCH dlc?
Nope--collect all the Pickney plaques and you'll be allowed to go inside. It's actually kind of neat.

Speaking of video cards, I've been milking a GTX 260 for years now, and I have a feeling AK is going to pound it in the balls like so many thugs before it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redbackground posted:

Nope--collect all the Pickney plaques and you'll be allowed to go inside. It's actually kind of neat.

Speaking of video cards, I've been milking a GTX 260 for years now, and I have a feeling AK is going to pound it in the balls like so many thugs before it.

I only replaced my 260 earlier in the year because I was building a TV box. It held up remarkably well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Those pictures I uploaded earlier come from the Multiverse Arkham Knight series:

http://ie001.blogspot.ca/2014/08/dc-multiverse-arkham-knight-figures.html

The figures are: Batman, Red Hood, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Robin.

They look kind of lovely to be honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Ooh, triple batarang and triple grappling hook.

On the other hand, both of those weapons were pretty great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ImpAtom posted:

I don't understand why enemy variety is a bad thing. That sounds exactly like what a video game should be doing. Four different enemy types in one fight is exactly what I both want and expect, especially since any given enemy type has multiple ways to be taken down.

Because it makes mid-game random encounters as hard as end-game story encounters way, way earlier than you're used to in the Arkham games. Yes, they never introduce an enemy type that you're not able to take care of, but fights get hectic and chaotic in a not-good way when you have more than three enemy types in an encounter. Even in Arkham City's extreme combat challenge maps I don't think they go above more than three types in an encounter more than once or twice (joker's funhouse being one where in the extreme fourth round you have regular dudes, armored dudes, mr sickle, and two titans). It seemed like they knew putting in more than three makes challenges very not-fun.

Despite all my bitching though, I do think Arkham Origins is a GOOD GAME. It certainly has combat miles above other games and it still feels really good when you pull off a huge combo without getting hit and breaking thugs' arms. It's just not as good as the other Arkham games. It doesn't have the polish.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Those pictures I uploaded earlier come from the Multiverse Arkham Knight series:

http://ie001.blogspot.ca/2014/08/dc-multiverse-arkham-knight-figures.html

The figures are: Batman, Red Hood, Two-Face, Scarecrow and Robin.

They look kind of lovely to be honest.

Yeah they do, although what I'm getting out of this is that Scarecrow got loving wrecked by Killer Croc. He looks like he's half cyborg.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Kin posted:

Well i did find this:
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=17044&compareGPU=Batman:%20Arkham%20Knight

Which does say the 660 will be more than fine, but i'm looking at those screenshots and still thinking no loving way.

Although i do have a 2560x1440 monitor so i don't know if that larger size taxes the system a lot more than the next resolution down.

I just took a look at graphics cards and i'm completely lost as to where to go after a 660. There's a 680 that's coming out soon but there's also an entire 700 GTX series which i'm assuming is a whole level of power higher (and presumably what is comparable with what's in a PS4?)

Higher res monitor usually means you want more RAM on the gfx card if you want to play at QHD without lowering the other details too much

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Higher res monitor usually means you want more RAM on the gfx card if you want to play at QHD without lowering the other details too much

Ah, gotcha.

I guess my concern with the 660 GTX is that there are games out now that it can't handle on the 2560x1440 resolution with everything cranked up to max.

Hell AO started to get a little sluggish after you whacked it all on and put on the SSAO, etc. Sure those are PC extras but, just compare Origins to the Knight screenshots and the differences are staggering.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Because it makes mid-game random encounters as hard as end-game story encounters way, way earlier than you're used to in the Arkham games..

That's a good thing though. Arkham City was way too slow with introducing difficult encounters which is one of my problems with it. Look how late it introduces shock rod guys (and they're never even very difficult!)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Kin posted:

Ah, gotcha.

I guess my concern with the 660 GTX is that there are games out now that it can't handle on the 2560x1440 resolution with everything cranked up to max.

Hell AO started to get a little sluggish after you whacked it all on and put on the SSAO, etc. Sure those are PC extras but, just compare Origins to the Knight screenshots and the differences are staggering.

Please don't take what I said literally however, would hate to see you buy some low end card because it had 4GB of RAM or something. If you want to play upcoming games at QHD with all PC bells and whistles then you'll need a beefy card with a fair amount of RAM to handle the higher res textures.

Otherwise for the console experience you should be fine, just remember that most console games barely touch full HD or 60fps, but can't see why your 660 won't give you a decent frame rate with some of the PC bells at HD.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Kin posted:

Ah, gotcha.

I recently replaced my 660 with a 770 because I couldn't run ACIV at utter max settings at 1080p.

660 will probably last at least 2 years at playable FPS if you're OK with "medium". If you HAVE to have everything maxed then yes, you'll need a new card.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Wait for Amazon's Black Friday (which is usually a week prior to the day). I got an amazing deal on my MSI 4GB 770 during that time last year.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just saw Assault on Arkham, and holy poo poo, what a convoluted movie. Its like they just tried to cram as many villains as they could into the movie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how the movie was uncertain how to end, so they just threw in parts of the plot of Arkham Asylum at the end, up to and including:

* Joker releasing all of the villains.
* Bane getting thrown into the Gotham Bay by Batman.
* Poison Ivy making literally the exact same giant flower and brainwashing a number of guards.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

blackguy32 posted:

Just saw Assault on Arkham, and holy poo poo, what a convoluted movie. Its like they just tried to cram as many villains as they could into the movie.

I wonder if they just looked at Arkham City's story and said yeah let's copy it.

Only make it shittier and stupid.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Having watched all of the solo Batman animated movies recently, Assault on Arkham is easily the worst one. They introduce a bunch of B-listers only to kill two-thirds of them off. It's like, "Why is this King Shark guy in the movie? Couldn't they have just gotten Killer Croc, a villain I actually know?" The answer is no, because they couldn't kill Croc off pointlessly 90% of the way through the movie like they did with King Shark. Not to mention they kill off the B-lister with easily the best name and character design no sooner then he gets 5 lines in. Not to mention Waller is not only really out of character in this movie, but dumb as a brick. Why not tell the entire Suicide Squad that the real goal is to kill Riddler? Why kidnap Harley Quinn when it was a 99.9999998% chance she would see Joker and gently caress absolutely everything up? Why not trust your equipment when the really obvious ploy to screw you over starts happening almost immediately? Why send the Suicide Squad in the first place when the entire point is to kill Riddler, the only person who knew how to escape the Suicide Squad's killswitch? Even before the mission even started, it was loving doomed.

Don't watch Assault on Arkham. Just watch Under the Red Hood again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, in hindsight, sending the Suicide Squad (who have bombs implanted inside of them) to kill the guy who knows how to disable said bombs was reaaaally stupid.

At least hire Deathstroke to kill him or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know if it is just me but did Amanda Waller seem fatter to anyone else? I mean I know she is often portrayed as a big lady, but she basically had no neck in this movie.

Also, it would seem to probably be much easier to simply hire Deadshot to kill him if that is all that needed to be done

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

To Waller's credit (the only credit I will give her for that movie), I'm pretty sure the opening sequence with what looked like a SWAT team dropping in on Riddler was actually meant to kill him. It's just that Batman interrupted. But yeah, it's incredibly dumb that she didn't just wait until the next time Eddie broke out and then send Deadshot after him. I mean, worst case scenario there is that Riddler never breaks out of Arkham again out of fear, which is the best case scenario for literally everyone else.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

* Poison Ivy making literally the exact same giant flower and brainwashing a number of guards.

That was especially dumb, since that plant was a Titan flower.

Also, Batman is undercover with the group for a large chunk of the movie, and during that time the Suicide Squad straight up murders a bunch of people. Batman at no point tries to stop them. Instead of playing along with their plot and figuring out what it was, Batman would have just shown up, beat some motherfuckers down, tied them up, and left.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Also, it would seem to probably be much easier to simply hire Deadshot to kill him if that is all that needed to be done

Deadshot, Deathstroke, any other number of the (likely literal) dozens of super-assassins available in the DC universe... the list is endless. Getting the Suicide Squad to do that mission was completely loving pointless and I'm pretty sure the only reason the movie even happened was for Joker to get even MORE screen time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No one wants to talk about the release date?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Wasn't it already pushed back to February?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wasn't it already pushed back to February?
We never had a date; just "2015" which a lot of people (incorrectly) hoped to be early 2015.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

To be honest, I'm okay with them taking as long as they need to get everything working right. The inclusion of the Batmobile is going to require a lot of refinement to integrate it into the Arkham series mechanics. I'd rather wait another couple months for the level of polish in the previous Rocksteady games, instead of getting another Origins. Besides, it'll give me time to save up for a PS4.

Related, I finally got all achievements in AC. Those Robin extreme challenge maps were a bitch and a half. The medal requiring you to knock out three goons with a single wall in Natural Selection was more luck than anything: I just took a free medal for that one in the campaign.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No one wants to talk about the release date?

With two special editions:

" posted:

PolygonThe Limited Edition of Batman: Arkham Knight will come in a Steelbook case with an 80-page art book; issue zero of DC Comics' Batman: Arkham Knight comic book; three exclusive New 52 character skins; and a Batman statue. That package will be available for £74.99 (U.K.) and €99.99 (Europe) on PC and £89.99 (U.K.) / €119.99 (Europe) / $99.99 (North America) on PS4 and Xbox One.

Warner Bros. will also release a Batmobile Edition of Batman: Arkham Knight. It will be available for £169.99 (U.K.) / €199.99 (Europe) / $199.99 (North America), but only on PS4 and Xbox One. That package will include everything in the Limited Edition, except that the Batman statue is swapped out for a transforming Batmobile statue produced by Triforce.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hope one of those N52 skins is for Jason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, what skins are they going to have left? I kind of hope they recycle some old ones (with updated visuals, obv) rather than diving deep into the Batman lovely Costume archive to try to keep having new skins.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man, what skins are they going to have left? I kind of hope they recycle some old ones (with updated visuals, obv) rather than diving deep into the Batman lovely Costume archive to try to keep having new skins.

To be honest, even most of what they have used isn't that great. I usually buy up all the DLC skins, but end up sticking with the default costume just because it looks the best.

Though I would like to see the batsuit from Nolan's TDK/DKR included as an actual suit instead of a recolor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

To be honest, even most of what they have used isn't that great. I usually buy up all the DLC skins, but end up sticking with the default costume just because it looks the best.

Though I would like to see the batsuit from Nolan's TDK/DKR included as an actual suit instead of a recolor.

They usually have one or two I prefer. Adam West Batman all day e'ry day.

Though I'd prefer a bit more effort into stuff like TAS Batman or Batman Beyond.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pulling for Paleolithic Batman.

He is literally wearing a gigantic bat's skin.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
June? I can live with that. Plenty of time to finish up the Arkham series' achievements. Except those goddamn Origins multiplayer ones, ick.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Really the only skin I wish they'd include is the undamaged vanilla one. I like the Arkham costumes. I dislike looking like I made paper dolls out of my cape when I got my suit out of the burn ward.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Really the only skin I wish they'd include is the undamaged vanilla one. I like the Arkham costumes. I dislike looking like I made paper dolls out of my cape when I got my suit out of the burn ward.

That should be built into the game after you beat it :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

They usually have one or two I prefer. Adam West Batman all day e'ry day.

Though I'd prefer a bit more effort into stuff like TAS Batman or Batman Beyond.

I wish they had the later TAS Batman, that they used in the Justice League cartoon and poo poo. The one they used for Arkham City felt like it had these giant anime eyes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I remember that the first thing that happens in Arkham City is that Two-Face shoots Batman and it puts a big ole' black scorch mark on his chest, messing up the bat logo. Come on man! Let me enjoy a good looking suit for a while, sheesh.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I remember that the first thing that happens in Arkham City is that Two-Face shoots Batman and it puts a big ole' black scorch mark on his chest, messing up the bat logo. Come on man! Let me enjoy a good looking suit for a while, sheesh.

During AC, was anyone else hoping they would unlock Bruce Wayne as a playable skin? Especially if he glided by fanning out his suit jacket?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Canemacar posted:

During AC, was anyone else hoping they would unlock Bruce Wayne as a playable skin? Especially if he glided by fanning out his suit jacket?

It's baffling that it's not at least a challenge mode option or something.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I wouldn't mind a crazy cel-shaded Long Halloween Batsuit or a Todd Macfarlane Batsuit whose cape covers the entire screen at all times. Legit answer, I want a Troika Batsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I want skins from the movies, if only so I can giggle endlessly at bat-nipples.

Also, holy poo poo, gently caress that Joker DLC challenge map for Arkham City. I keep trying to get a million points with Nightwing and I've only gotten about 840 or 850k. I am only a man, Arkham City! I AM ONLY A MAN!

(got it for batman though, but the fact he has disarm and destroy helps quite a bit)

• Locked thread