Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think it's the same case. In their case, they can't remember because they were normal minnless Titans, in other words people who lost themselves in their titan form. Once they eat a shifter, the came back as humans.

There is an easy way to explain that and you answered it yourself. They were given the power of the titans and turned into mindless titans, and immediately given someone to devour so they would regain their humanity. Hence they don't remember when they cannibalized another shifter. Of course this is just speculation and could be wrong.

One theory is Annie and Eren's fathers are giving their last words to their children before being willingly devoured so they can control their titan and have the strength to survive the heap of poo poo the world is about to throw at them.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's possible that Eren didn't have to consume anyone to become a titan, maybe his Father just injected him with titan shifter blood and that was enough to change him.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Ok, I'm trying to respond to only a couple ideas at once, so that if I must type lots of uninteresting words they're at least uninteresting words about a topic someone is interested in.

Squidster posted:

Your conjecture is based on a character that has never been introduced. Who would be Historia's half-sister? We have no reason to believe a person like that exists in this manga.

Do you mean memory-erasing girl? If so, she's been interacting with Eren vastly earlier than she got eaten in this hypothetical timeline. His ability to kill muggers as a kid is also not related to eating members of the royal family, as that mysterious injection didn't happen until after the wall fall. It is vastly more likely that the Memory-wiper girl is a rogue member of the royal family. I expect that it will be later revealed the Memory-wiper has been continuously interacting with the cast throughout the manga, but skipping out of their memories every time.

Eren ate Grisha, who carried a titan-coordinate in his body. Grisha is the missing key, and I strongly expect he came from outside the walls. He's from Reiner's village, and the reason they attacked the city was to bring his body back to the outside faction.

Lord Weiss has ensured Krista is well-treated because he is not 100% a dick. He has been shown to be sentimental in the two brief times we've met him, and he's ensured Eren is well-treated because, in both scenes we've met him, he is also a pragmatist.

Yes, Historia's half-sister is the memory-erasing girl. From Eren's memory as her, we can deduce that she's upper class. The furnishings visible in the mirror are much nicer than any others we've seen. Eren clearly mentions a visual resemblance to Historia. From Historia's memory we learn that the mysterious girl spent enough time with Historia to teach Historia how to read; that the mystery girl had access to books depicting titans, and was greatly affected by Historia's opinion of her. There's a lot suggesting that mystery girl knows the secrets of the wall cult, and the only family that has been mentioned to be worthy of those secrets is the Reiss family and other unnamed families. It's possible that she's from some other noble house, but there's additional circumstantial evidence suggesting Historia had a half-sibling.

In chapter 52, the day that Lord Reiss tried to enter young Historia's life is very peculiar. It's specifically mentioned being several days after the fall of Wall Maria, but news of Wall Maria's fall was established as spreading to all the major cities within hours. From this we can infer that the reason Lord Reiss tried to protect Historia wasn't, specifically, the fall of Wall Maria. The same night that Rod Reiss tries to protect Historia a death squad shows up to kill her and her mother. So we can infer that some specific event was the motivation for both groups to intervene. Lord Reiss, the actual king, seemingly lacks the authority to make the death squad stand down completely, but an acceptable compromise is to disown Historia. I conclude that the reason is because Historia suddenly and unexpectedly became the most legitimate heir to the throne. For that to happen, there had to be a more legitimate heir until shortly after the fall of Wall Maria.

As far as Eren eating her Grisha did something to Eren, or forced Eren to do something, that gave Eren the titan-power. Eren was supposed to learn how to use that power from their memories (if anyone knows Japanese and can confirm if their is supposed to be plural or singular with unspecified gender I'd be curious). Eren ends up having memories from the perspective of the mysterious girl. It seems more likely to me that he gained those memories from the as yet unused hint dropped back in chapter 10 than a until recently unhinted ability to add memories with no cost. (Also why the hell would memory-erasing girl give a teenage boy her memories of grooming in front of a mirror? Because :japan: doesn't fit with the rest of the series.) And if Eren's memories of mystery girl are from his titan powers it fits with the timeline that mystery girl was eaten shortly after the wall fell and possibly before Historia's mother was killed.

The final bit of evidence is from narrative structure, and is why Eren and Historia being transported directly to Reiss is so wierd. If whatever Lord Reiss is after doesn't involve both of them, why wouldn't he meet with them one a time? I wasn't trying to suggest he was a brute. But it's a weird narrative that he would try to reconcile with Historia while Eren is in the room, unless their simultaneous reaction to the same reveal is going to be important. It could have been the hug, but I suspect there's a bigger reveal to come when Rod Reiss starts explaining things. And "Historia, Eren ate your sister who was the only one who loved you" is a hell of a reveal when Eren and Historia are in the same room.

Krinkle posted:

I can't really follow this but if he ate the memory erasing lady then who erased his memories of doing that?

The injection Grisha gave Eren is explicitly stated to cause memory loss. That's the only thing that is directly attributed to the injection, but without any other evidence the hypothesis was that the memory loss was a side effect and the real purpose of the injection was to make Eren a titan. But we have the conversation between Berthold, Reiner, and Ymir to suggest that the way to gain titan powers is to eat the right people.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Your theory is certainly not the most implausible I have read even though I disagree. For one "You ate her halve sister we've seen two times" is not really all that good of a punchline. Also supposing the person in Eren's dream right at the start is the memory girl, we have her basically saying goodbye to both of them right before the wall falls. Doesn't seem likely that she would then come back right away. Finally it doesn't explain where Eren's father left to or what his involvement in the whole business was. My money is still on parental cannibalism.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The titans are said to have appeared 107 years ago, but I wonder if the wall and the society in it hasn't existed for much longer. The royal bloodline has existed for at least 2000 years. If those in power have (or had) the power to create titans, control them and alter memories, they could have been using those skills (along with technology suppression and censorship) to keep everything the same. Essentially creating a sustainable and manageable human population that does not fight wars amongst itself. The biggest problem would be an increase of population but they have many means to deal with that. Sending people to fight titans, changing people into titans and sending them out, bringing titans inside the walls to eat people etc.

107 Years ago might just have been a particularly large culling, perhaps in response to a previous rebellion. The parents of Eren and Mikasa and all those from the village might be the descendants of such a rebellion and have carried it on, although through different means. If Erens father fully controlled the means to create titans and turn them back into humans, he could use that to go into hiding for long periods of time through some kind of titan hibernation (they don't age and in absence of sunlight are inactive). Eren himself could be much older too and his flashbacks might be from 107 years ago. The injection his father gave him might have been a way to inactivate a cure for titanism.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

My money is still on parental cannibalism.

Me too with the "My father made me..." stuff

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Piriwi posted:

The titans are said to have appeared 107 years ago, but I wonder if the wall and the society in it hasn't existed for much longer. The royal bloodline has existed for at least 2000 years. If those in power have (or had) the power to create titans, control them and alter memories, they could have been using those skills (along with technology suppression and censorship) to keep everything the same. Essentially creating a sustainable and manageable human population that does not fight wars amongst itself. The biggest problem would be an increase of population but they have many means to deal with that. Sending people to fight titans, changing people into titans and sending them out, bringing titans inside the walls to eat people etc.

If they have the power to alter people's memories what stops them from saying the royal bloodline is over 2000 years old. Especially since we know the current king is just a figurehead and the Reiss family rules in actuality.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Does anyone have any theories on who the monkey/ape titan is? I had sort of thought Grisha, but don't really have any supporting evidence.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Another faction of human-titans from beyond the walls I'd say. Alternatively he isn't a human-titan at all, and he's from a race of intelligent titans. He's definitely from outside the walls though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AlistairCookie posted:

Does anyone have any theories on who the monkey/ape titan is? I had sort of thought Grisha, but don't really have any supporting evidence.
Curious George is a member of the dragon race from another continent; we won't see him again.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why would the ape titan who didn't know what a 3d unit was have a secret identity that does know what a 3d unit is? Why would he feign not knowing what it is if he was going to let the guy get eaten by tiny titans anyway for the benefit of the reader to be mislead and literally nobody in universe?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I assumed the big monkey was a one-time cameo from some dumb manga nobody outside of Japan has heard of, like when Goku blundered into that weirdo village in Dragonball.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
why would you assume that

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Big monkey is Goku, this is now canon

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
A titan that flourishes under the full moon. Someone go get Hanji, she is going to lose her drat mind.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Speaking of Hanji, are we just going to keep calling her "her" for the purposes of this thread? The author has said he hasn't given Hanji a gender yet.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Missing Name posted:

Speaking of Hanji, are we just going to keep calling her "her" for the purposes of this thread? The author has said he hasn't given Hanji a gender yet.

It is ambiguous, so it doesn't really matter, but the anime has Hanji as a female, so I figure most people will default to that unless we find out otherwise.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Missing Name posted:

What

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, the author won't confirm nor deny the gender.

http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/attack-titan-snk-hange-hanji-gender-debate/

gently caress it, "she" sounds better than "xe"

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Someone survey the fanart to see if Hange is depicted more waifu or beefu.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's waifu

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Factory Factory posted:

Someone survey the fanart to see if Hange is depicted more waifu or beefu.

She's waifu and Mikasa is more beefu, Sasha is both.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Missing Name posted:

Speaking of Hanji, are we just going to keep calling her "her" for the purposes of this thread?
Of course? Nanaba was the only one that was hard to tell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beef Waifu posted:

She's waifu and Mikasa is more beefu, Sasha is both.

Sasha is Potatu

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

What's up with the wall titans?
Does the Reese bloodline hold some sort of titan-shifting ability?
Who is Monkey Trouble and how is he making titans?
Are Annie, Bertholdt and Reiner's faction known to central?
Who did Eren inherit his titan ability from and how exactly did he get it?
What are Central and the Village planning for Eren's coordinate ability?
What's in the drat basement?

For the love of god can the next chapter at least end with a cliffhanger implying one of these questions will be answered in October?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sub Harrison posted:

For the love of god can the next chapter at least end with a cliffhanger implying one of these questions will be answered in October?

We'll never find out, because Isayama wants to be the next Damon Lindelof. Edit: Wait wait this assumes Lindelof has talent so nevermind.

quote:

What are Central and the Village planning for Eren's coordinate ability?
This is easy though. Everybody wants to rule the world.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2014

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know how to view older issues of Spoof on Titan? By the way, the current issue is Attack on Elementary School Titan, in which the cast tries to get Levi-sensei to notice them. :kiddo:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Does anyone know how to view older issues of Spoof on Titan? By the way, the current issue is Attack on Elementary School Titan, in which the cast tries to get Levi-sensei to notice them. :kiddo:

Levi's squad as the older kids. :3: This actually made me consider checking out the high school manga, until I remembered that all high school AUs are crap.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Missing Name posted:

That's stupid. "Zoe" is an unambiguously female name and she's a woman in the anime he obviously had to supervise at least conceptually.

I guess he knows these things just make people talk more about your series and is good for marketing purposes.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Petiso posted:

That's stupid. "Zoe" is an unambiguously female name and she's a woman in the anime he obviously had to supervise at least conceptually.

I guess he knows these things just make people talk more about your series and is good for marketing purposes.

Zoe is their last name.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

Zoe is their last name.

It's her first name in the anime's dub for some reason.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Missing Name posted:

I read the link...

it seems more the author wanted to troll the audience once the question was asked, nothing more.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Astro Ambulance posted:

Zoe is their last name.

Isn't that just because in Japanese the family name goes first? Though I will acknowledge she'd be one of the only characters who actually goes by their last name.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zoe is my favorite They can be gender ambiguous that's fine with me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I am going to Marrry Xir

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

muike posted:

I am going to Marrry Xir
Keep your filthy mitts off my spousu

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What is a Xir

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Isn't that just because in Japanese the family name goes first? Though I will acknowledge she'd be one of the only characters who actually goes by their last name.

Normally yeah but in this series, since it seems to take place in Europe, they use a western name structure.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Ghost posted:

What is a Xir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh poo poo, it's Chuck