Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Doc Block posted:

that's some quality 3D printing

yup looks like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Starting a farm.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my wife did that with our tiny front yard and now we only have dirt

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I will report back in a few years.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

gettin somewhere, middle pic has the amplifier & 100k volume pot (lol 64 turns) because no one nearby has any tiny non-linear trim pots like i want, however the OLED screen just barfs noise all over the power and ground causing the worst screech, i dunno if i have time to isolate it so i might be stuck with a screechy power situation :(

shout out to my boy jonny290 for being patient with me and some dumb questions i had

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So for Rocket Rover 1.1 I'm changing the background color from that awful cyan-ish to pretty cornflower blue

Ugly cyan       Cornflower blue

Magical. Revolutionary.

Gotta wait until Apple reviews & approves 1.0 first, though.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 29, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
$$$$$$$$

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Gotta work some kind of fight club reference into the 1.1 update notes because the background in the icon is gonna be cornflower blue too.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

thanks dude~ that portal, shiny flat panel look is easy and looks good. making a more organic level is going to be more challenging

i bought unreal engine because of you I hope you're happy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

i bought unreal engine because of you I hope you're happy

hahahaha i'm fuckin over the moon i really am

:smugmrgw: lookat that fuckin stupid floating ship. its called grant's hopper

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i finally got off my rear end and built the interface board for my UHF receiver

i only have single supplies so a used an opamp to make a virtual ground with two large tantalums and some diodes to prevent them from reversing on me, then I used that to build a second order 5 kHz linear phase low pass filter with a voltage gain of 20. this filters out-of-band noise from the discriminator signal and provides plenty of signal to the modem, TIs filter software is good for this sort of thing, even tells you how fast the opamp needs to be and phase/freq/group delay graphs

it's a quad package, I used the other two to provide a balanced output from the modem to the transmitter, I don't want any single ended signals going between the two devices for RFI reasons, and this works nicely with a single stereo audio jack, both signals are 50 ohm source terminated and i put in some 100nF filter caps just in case, the receiver will be a high impedance difference amplifier with good common-mode performance, and maybe i'll stick some ferrites on there just for a laugh

the PTT signal is connected to an optoisolator for the same reason, the transmitter is in all likelihood designed to be pulled down so the opto is perfect

there's room on there for a RS-422 interface if I want to link the two devices, so that's all good then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i miss my radio hobby somethin fierce but i gotta get us set up a little bit more. also i cant figure out where to set up a bench but ill sort something out

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

longview posted:

i finally got off my rear end and built the interface board for my UHF receiver

i only have single supplies so a used an opamp to make a virtual ground with two large tantalums and some diodes to prevent them from reversing on me, then I used that to build a second order 5 kHz linear phase low pass filter with a voltage gain of 20. this filters out-of-band noise from the discriminator signal and provides plenty of signal to the modem, TIs filter software is good for this sort of thing, even tells you how fast the opamp needs to be and phase/freq/group delay graphs

it's a quad package, I used the other two to provide a balanced output from the modem to the transmitter, I don't want any single ended signals going between the two devices for RFI reasons, and this works nicely with a single stereo audio jack, both signals are 50 ohm source terminated and i put in some 100nF filter caps just in case, the receiver will be a high impedance difference amplifier with good common-mode performance, and maybe i'll stick some ferrites on there just for a laugh

the PTT signal is connected to an optoisolator for the same reason, the transmitter is in all likelihood designed to be pulled down so the opto is perfect

there's room on there for a RS-422 interface if I want to link the two devices, so that's all good then

:mad: way to 1-up me :mad:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
~all builds are beautiful~

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: forums disaster

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: woahh ow did my posts get here, i was replying to cjs thread

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Mido posted:

:mad: way to 1-up me :mad:

i was inspired by your pics, it was kind of relaxing to wire up AF circuitry again, nothing really matters since FM only gets around 30-40 dB SNR at the best of times

here's something actually RF related:

inside a NMT-450 mobile phone duplexer, this is two sets of 4 helical filters providing a band-pass/high-pass and a band-stop/low-pass, this lets the phone send and transmit at the same time
tuning was done at the factory in finland with those metal brackets, the lid detunes all the cans by the same amount so tuning can be done with the lid off with some experimentation. the assembly was soldered together and I desoldered it with a hammer and chisel

the coils are silver coated to give high surface conductivity, this increases the Q factor of the filter, the shielding structure is solder-covered brass, and I soldered on some semi-rigid coax and SMA connectors to measure its performance

i soldered on some nuts to the top lid to tune it, and built a crude vice to hold it together (not shown) with some EMC shielding material wedged in between

here's how I tuned it, it works as a very high quality band-pass, approximately 5 MHz wide. we use 2 MHz split between TX/RX so this filter isn't suitable as a ham radio duplexer, this tuning covers the entire non-space 70cm band I can use and has 70-85 dB rejection of all frequencies outside that, at least from 200-1500 MHz
i was able to get the insertion loss down to around 5 dB at the center for the final tuning so i might use it as a transmitter-filter if the base-station transmitters filters can't be retuned easily, the receiver already has filters that are almost as good so there's nothing to gain there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:stare:

i dont even know where to begin really troubleshooting my simple audio amplifier noise, and here you are mister big shot

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Mido posted:

:stare:

i dont even know where to begin really troubleshooting my simple audio amplifier noise, and here you are mister big shot

well, looking at the pictures it looks like you've got a severe lack of bypass capacitors on both the OLED and the AF board, a problem might be related to there being (seemingly) a bypass cap on the AF board, the AC current draw from the OLED system could be fed over the power and ground wiring to the AF board, voltage drop over the ground will couple directly to the input (and with that ridiculous gain it takes nothing at all)
the IC you're using is very consumer and has a lovely datasheet with no layout suggestions or troubleshooting tips like you'd expect in a TI/LTC version of the same basic IC

here's a few things you could do:

separate the ground wiring to the AF board; there's separate inputs so if the IC manufacturer intended it to be used with star grounding you could run a separate signal-reference/shield for the AF from the source
this is kind of a lovely fix, star grounding is a holdover from tube amplifiers and is a really bad habit but sometimes it works, I have a feeling it might not help in this case

as an aside, here's the deal with "signal ground" and "power ground" in anything remotely high power or high speed (ADCs, amplifiers): they're the same drat thing, the reason they're separate pins is because they need to avoid ground-bounce over the internal bonding wires in the IC
connecting them separately may actually make things much worse. also, datasheets are frequenctly written by morons (looking at you, TI, ADI).

put a differential conducted emissions filter between the OLED board and the AF board, what I actually mean is put a pi-filter in, a good low ESR electrolytic on the power-rail on the OLED board, some kind of inductor (~100µH-ish), then put a similar size cap on the AF board supply, this effectively means the AF AC current will be drawn from the AF board cap and the OLED AC current will be drawn from the OLED cap
a low value resistor might work instead of an inductor, it's more linear with frequency but DC voltage drop often rules that out

failing that, get something with less gain, I've got a pile of 5V class-D amplifier boards I bought on ebay that would be perfect for that application, they cost about $1 a piece

there's a reason I build my poo poo over a solid piece of copper ground-plane, it ensures every ground connection is effectively zero ohms even at high frequencies, if you want to really get into high speed, read LTC application note 47

longview fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 29, 2014

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:worship:

you win the award for most helpful yosposter

(+1 insightful)

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 29, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So Rocket Rover was approved by Apple and will be available for download on Tuesday.

BUT BUT BUT

If you act now you can grab one of these codes and get the game-like app entertainment software product RIGHT NOW

Redeem one of these to get the game early. Or don't!

XRW6NPXNHNWX
KNE7EX4EN7N3
YWL46R3LKYRA
9EHRYX9EWP99
KHHPR6LMW7AH

It requires iOS 7, but runs great on an iPhone 4 running (tested w/iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1), and it'll be free, so even poors with poorsphones can play.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 29, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebJpi8Walw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

So Rocket Rover was approved by Apple and will be available for download on Tuesday.

BUT BUT BUT

If you act now you can grab one of these codes and get the game-like app entertainment software product RIGHT NOW

XRW6NPXNHNWX
KNE7EX4EN7N3
YWL46R3LKYRA
9EHRYX9EWP99
KHHPR6LMW7AH

min requirements?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Doc Block posted:

BUT BUT BUT

XRW6NPXNHNWX
KNE7EX4EN7N3
YWL46R3LKYRA
9EHRYX9EWP99
KHHPR6LMW7AH

Thanks I used YWL46R3LKYRA

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

min requirements?

ios 7 and an iphone 4 or better

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

i'mma sue your rear end off over that name :ese:

still, Nice! looks gorgeous make it available 4 mac plz.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm really bad at it (best: 1) so far but please add:

- mute sounds

thx

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
But these sounds are greaaaaat :newlol:

(ok)

edit: pro tip: the canons shoot as soon as they get halfway on screen, and then every 1.1 seconds after that. your shots can take out canonfire, so either shoot the canon's shots and then shoot the canon, or stay above or below it until it fires & then get in there and blow it up.

then you can fit through.

edit: also, you get an achievement if you get at least 1 point and 100% of your shots hit either a canon or a canonball.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 30, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

i'mma sue your rear end off over that name :ese:

still, Nice! looks gorgeous make it available 4 mac plz.

thanks yeah ue4 compiles for mac so shouldnt be an issue. might have to buy a mac to do so though :smug:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
name your game Kiwi Space Program.

also, IDGAF about anything except that people play Rocket Rover endlessly. stop only to convince others to also play Rocket Rover.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
when are you releasing it on google play??

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
never

android is poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

when are you releasing it on google play??

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Android is gross. iOS only.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

current latin status: i told the other dota team that my team has a retardation in latin and got called a bunch of racial slurs that apply to hispanics. great success

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 1, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

current latin status: i told the other team that my team has a retardation in latin and got called a bunch of racial slurs that apply to hispanics. great success

why are there teams

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theadder posted:

why are there teams

oh sorry in dota

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
C idiot project s: upgraded my cpu to an i5-4960 and now unreal editor runs really smooth

Managed to crash it 4 times running through one of the tutorials tho

Makin progress on learnin how to make dumb video games, might try ludum dare next time it comes around if I can get competent enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

C idiot project s: upgraded my cpu to an i5-4960 and now unreal editor runs really smooth

Managed to crash it 4 times running through one of the tutorials tho

Makin progress on learnin how to make dumb video games, might try ludum dare next time it comes around if I can get competent enough

4960? 4690? anyway I think that's the one I got. a much nice processor: kinda wanna upgrade to 4790 i7 for those sweet hyperthreads and 100mhz jump but yeah that plus ssd and decent vid card is enough

love this unreal chat. get into details man! what tutorial you doing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my current issue is that I really want to make my game upgradeable and take advantage of the object oriemtated nature but ie realised I've done a few things and now I have to start again with them. eg it's easy to make a level or pawn and make it work but you want a second pawn do you want to have to copy and paste all those same things in again? non of course not. but I having trouble with the component hierarchy and meshes and thrusters gently caress