Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I doubt there's any bad blood between Dana and Bonnar over that. Bellator gave him an offer, Bonnar let UFC know exactly what was happening and they said sure, help us bankrupt this organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reminder that stephan bonnar was once filmed cleaning the dumpster at the TUF gym

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The UFC was fine with Franklin becoming the President of ONEFC while still under contract to them, and Dana still likes Coker as opposed to Bjorn, so this doesn't necessarily mean Bonnar is on the outs. Although if he wasn't I would wonder why he isn't just fighting in the UFC. Maybe he wants to actually win a title for once, or maybe he just wants to beat up Tito.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fatherdog posted:

The UFC was fine with Franklin becoming the President of ONEFC while still under contract to them, and Dana still likes Coker as opposed to Bjorn, so this doesn't necessarily mean Bonnar is on the outs. Although if he wasn't I would wonder why he isn't just fighting in the UFC. Maybe he wants to actually win a title for once, or maybe he just wants to beat up Tito.

My tinfoil hat tells me that Coker and the Fertitas are acting in collusion anyway.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Yeah I was going to post about the Franklin OneFC deal. That is way more troublesome for UFC's global expansion into a territory they desperately want compared to Bonnar fighting Rampage Jackson on some indian reservation.

I'm guessing UFC doesn't want to give Bonnar a contract because they would prefer he stay retired and they don't want him hurting his UFC image more than the 2nd failed drug test may have already done, and Bellator will give him way more exposure than they would. Like in UFC Bonnar would be fighting St. Preux on a Fight Pass card, but in Bellator he'll be featured on the PPVs and main eventing Spike shows.

And as everyone brings up, Bonnar beating Tito is worth it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

fatherdog posted:

He called him out this morning. Or at least Tito fired back via twitter at some screenshot of a post that was supposedly Bonnar calling him a virus on MMA who has boring fights and must be stopped.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hahaha i can't believe the bonnar rumour was true

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I wonder if the Alvarez deal had anything to do with it. We'll give you 1 LW who wants a million dollars in a division we can't support for 1 LHW that is more personable than all of our others put together (- Joey Beltran).

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

I wonder if the Alvarez deal had anything to do with it. We'll give you 1 LW who wants a million dollars in a division we can't support for 1 LHW that is more personable than all of our others put together (- Joey Beltran).

Even though it has been explained to me on these boards, I still cannot comprehend why people find Joey Beltran "personable" or why they want to watch his fights.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bluedeanie posted:

Even though it has been explained to me on these boards, I still cannot comprehend why people find Joey Beltran "personable" or why they want to watch his fights.

Personable is a bit iffy but the Mexicutioner is the loving man and I'm flabbergasted that there is a person who follows MMA that doesn't think the same

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

all mysteries will be revealed on September 12th.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bluedeanie posted:

or why they want to watch his fights.

he is less good now that he is less fat, but when he was fat, that was a barrel of laughs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

coconono posted:

My tinfoil hat tells me that Coker and the Fertitas are acting in collusion anyway.

My crackpot theory from the get go is that Viacom axed Rebney and hired Coker to eventually get the UFC to buy them out.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
I know the conversation has moved on but I just wanted to add that Newton vs Vegh II was one of the worst fights I've ever seen and what a horrible display of wrestling by two people who have no idea how to wrestle.

Bonnar will be fun. A fight against the Mexecutioner would be a classic sloppy rear end American Psycho war. Maybe even 5 rounds for the title (lol).

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bubba Smith posted:

Yeah I was going to post about the Franklin OneFC deal. That is way more troublesome for UFC's global expansion into a territory they desperately want compared to Bonnar fighting Rampage Jackson on some indian reservation.

I'm guessing UFC doesn't want to give Bonnar a contract because they would prefer he stay retired and they don't want him hurting his UFC image more than the 2nd failed drug test may have already done, and Bellator will give him way more exposure than they would. Like in UFC Bonnar would be fighting St. Preux on a Fight Pass card, but in Bellator he'll be featured on the PPVs and main eventing Spike shows.

And as everyone brings up, Bonnar beating Tito is worth it.

More regional MMA in regions the UFC is expanding into is manifestly good for the UFC and Victor Cui explicitly does not plan on going head to head with the UFC.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

world b lee posted:

I know the conversation has moved on but I just wanted to add that Newton vs Vegh II was one of the worst fights I've ever seen and what a horrible display of wrestling by two people who have no idea how to wrestle.

Bonnar will be fun. A fight against the Mexecutioner would be a classic sloppy rear end American Psycho war. Maybe even 5 rounds for the title (lol).

I'll die happy if I can see him flex and grin one more time, especially with a belt over his shoulder. Let him juice, he's charming and old.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I completely forgot it was happening, so in case anyone else here is like me: reminder that ONE FC has a card tomorrow. Featuring such luminaries as Roger Huerta, James McSweeney, and Jadamba Narantungalag (who, for the first time in his career, doesn't have the hardest-to-spell name on the card; that honor goes to Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke). There is also an Askren fight, and the main event is Aoki vs. Kamal "Varner Vasectomy" Shalorus. Full card here. Should be fun. $10 iPPV @ onefc.livesport.tv, starts 6PM ET Friday.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 28, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Wise Learned Man posted:

starts 6PM ET Friday.

Is it really at 6? Where are they holding this.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

Is it really at 6? Where are they holding this.

Dubai. I'm just going by the countdown on onefc.com :shrug:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Wise Learned Man posted:

I completely forgot it was happening, so in case anyone else here is like me: reminder that ONE FC has a card tomorrow. Featuring such luminaries as Roger Huerta, James McSweeney, and Jadamba Narantungalag (who, for the first time in his career, doesn't have the hardest-to-spell name on the card; that honor goes to Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke). There is also an Askren fight, and the main event is Aoki vs. Kamal "Varner Vasectomy" Shalorus. Full card here. Should be fun. $10 iPPV @ onefc.livesport.tv, starts 6PM ET Friday.

This legit looks better than the UFC PPV card this weekend, which is a scenario I never envisioned.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If Bellator becomes the place to watch UFC retirees like Bonnar and Tito have ridiculous fights with each other why would the UFC have a problem with that. It puts Bellator squarely in B-leagues and works as advertising for the current UFC fighters.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Wise Learned Man posted:

I really don't think this is at 6 PM EDT because that'd be 1 AM Dubai time, it'd make more sense for it to be 6 PM Dubai time and thus 11 AM EST.

As always, #mma for info + Ben Askren chitty-chat

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Yuriy posted:

I really don't think this is at 6 PM EDT because that'd be 1 AM Dubai time, it'd make more sense for it to be 6 PM Dubai time and thus 11 AM EST.

As always, #mma for info + Ben Askren chitty-chat

The countdown on their website says it starts ~20 hours from now, but it could well be wrong. If anybody finds out for sure, please post the time here.

E: The streaming website says 15:00 GMT which I guess is 11AM EDT? The countdown on the main website doesn't make any sense then but whatevs

E2: according MMAjunkie it starts at 7AM EDT and Sherdog says 10AM?? I can't keep all these time zones in my head at once. Somebody just post here when it starts please.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 29, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Yea, will do, I should be up at 7 let alone 10 so I'll post when it goes up

Edit: FightCreature also says 10 AM eastern for when poo poo goes live

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 29, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sweet, right in the middle of the work day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hunh, just found out my gymmate is fighting on the Bellator 123 undercard. This is a pretty big step up for him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
What are you talking about guys, feds outside the UFC do just as much drug testing, it's not like there's a drastic change when guys start fighting in non-UFC feds

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

What are you talking about guys, feds outside the UFC do just as much drug testing, it's not like there's a drastic change when guys start fighting in non-UFC feds

and just like that, Brandon Vera is a bigger dink than usual

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fatherdog posted:

IT'S FITCH TIME!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It took me a few moments to realize that is Vera and that's just because of his stupid tattoo I recognized. That olympic lifting Rogan said he's done up to the Rothwell fight really paid off

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

45 minutes till funky time + aoki + roger huerta + kamal shalorus

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

He forgot to do legs.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I can't wait to not watch this newer, bigger Brandon Vera

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

One FC hosed up their iPPV so it's free

LENNE HARDT TIME BITCHES

http://onefc.com/news/373-live-updates-for-one-fc-reign-of-champions.html

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

the gently caress kinda name is Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yuriy posted:

the gently caress kinda name is Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke

Thai or dutch. Take your pick.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

Shinya Aoki (155) vs. Kamal Shalorus (153) – for lightweight title
Nobutatsu Suzuki (170) vs. Ben Askren (170) – for welterweight title
Koji Oishi (145) vs. Narantungalag Jadambaa (145) – for featherweight title
Christian Holley (154) vs. Roger Huerta (155)
Cristiano Kaminishi (205) vs. James McSweeney (205)
Herbert Burns (145) vs. Hiroshige Tanaka (145)

Got till 11:30 Eastern for the main card at this point

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Don't think this is ~files~ or w/e since it's broadcasting on a tv channel (Fight Network) so

http://www.vipleague.se/boxing/246160/1/one-fc-19:-reign-of-champions-live-stream-online.html

Main card starting now

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 29, 2014

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Yuriy. Lenne's voice sounds a little rough tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Rich Franklin is keeping an unofficial score on commentary

"I have no idea what I've gotten myself into"