Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The only experience I have with Scion brand in general is someone I knew in college, he had an Ion I think it was, and it was an automatic

He'd drop it into neutral at every red light, let it roll back a few inches before taking off. To give everyone else outside the car the impression it was a manual :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sappo569 posted:

The only experience I have with Scion brand in general is someone I knew in college, he had an Ion I think it was, and it was an automatic

He'd drop it into neutral at every red light, let it roll back a few inches before taking off. To give everyone else outside the car the impression it was a manual :confuoot:

Ion is a Saturn. Also I knew a girl who did that. Her transmission exploded one day.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh, well poo poo. I imagine if he owned a Scion it would be the same story

Saturn is kind of like what Scion is going to be in 5 years anyways right?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Bovril Delight posted:

I really doubt it's due to the doors, no big insurance company uses "# of doors" as a rating factor. A 2 door may have a higher statistical payout in an accident, or be involved in more accidents, but the cost isn't higher just due to more doors.

It's because, statistically, the person who buys a two door Golf is more likely to do dumb poo poo and cause an expensive wreck than the person that buys a 4-door. These actuarial numbers are fully intended to tell more about the driver than they are about the car, as pretty much the entire 2nd half of the last page was talking about. If you want cheap insurance, buy what safe drivers drive.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Figured this would be the place to post my experience: My bugeye subaru impreza wagon got totaled last week by a hit and run while it was parked on the street. My last experience with a small dealer (the notorious SE 82nd car mall in Portland) was super shady, so I was dreading having to buy a new car. With used Subaru prices being what they are in the PNW, I decided to try a big dealership.
Went to Herzog Meier VW and it was time consuming but completely pleasant! Told them about my "unique" financial situation, asked what they could do for me, and am picking up a 2007 Rabbit with 55k today. Salesman actually recommended me a 149k 2002 TDI Golf instead, but the manager wouldn't budge on the 8k asking price, so I politely declined. All in all, everybody was super friendly and low-pressure, and the salesman was so pumped on vintage VWs he was like an AI regular.
I know the Rabbit S isn't a hot hatch but I have always wanted a Golf so I'm excited. Even comes with ridiculous RIMMMMMZZ!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Every time I have gone into a VW dealer they have been friendly but not pushy, and I like that. They are also super chill about just tossing you the keys for a test drive and not even coming with.

Worst dealers I have gone to are Mazda dealers, strangely. Two separate dealers were both really pushy and douchey and one's idea of a test drive was "I will drive it and you sit in the passenger seat". Basically drove me away from even considering the models I was looking at.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

priznat posted:

Every time I have gone into a VW dealer they have been friendly but not pushy, and I like that. They are also super chill about just tossing you the keys for a test drive and not even coming with.

Worst dealers I have gone to are Mazda dealers, strangely. Two separate dealers were both really pushy and douchey and one's idea of a test drive was "I will drive it and you sit in the passenger seat". Basically drove me away from even considering the models I was looking at.

I have never ever had a test drive without the sales person with me. I assume that it must be some sort of law in California, or maybe some insurance requirement?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tijag posted:

I have never ever had a test drive without the sales person with me. I assume that it must be some sort of law in California, or maybe some insurance requirement?

Are you under 25? When they try to insist I generally tell them to gently caress off and I'll be back in 30 mins.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Are you under 25? When they try to insist I generally tell them to gently caress off and I'll be back in 30 mins.

No, I'm 35. Have probably bought 5 cars at this point and they always ride along.

Also I don't care if the ride along actually. It doesn't' bother me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

priznat posted:

Same here. They do the "so what will it take to get you in a car today" bullshit but they never push. I think it's because the majority of VW people know what they are looking for when they show up at a dealership.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last time we were car shopping, I just stopped by to look at a CPO Buick Enclave.. wanted to see the interior layout, the LATCH anchors, crap like that. Told him I had to run and get the kids and then run some errands, guy offered for me to take the car for the rest of the day to see how we liked it. It's a smart sales move as people are quick to fall in love with things and then don't think things through rationally. I declined, but the guy was ready to move my carseats over and everything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlueBull posted:

I've had a G7R DSG since April this year, drove my mate's G7 GTI a few times, and the difference between the two is substantial in terms of how they feel to drive. The R simply feels a lot more aggressive all round, and comparing the two is like night and day in terms of sheer performance.

This is a picture of it when I brought it home, but I can try and take some better ones over the weekend.

Since then I've done a full exhaust & intake, and propably will add a PnP to it as well in the next few weeks, as I am unconvinced about APR / Revo remaps which have some warranty implications for me here in South Africa

In terms of numbers, stock I ran a 13.1 best on 1/4 mile, and currently sitting at 12.7, with the guys already running software hitting 12.0 flat, all at just under 6000 feet altitude. Current power is at 235Kw/wheels, and I expect to hit 270Kw+ with PnP. This is all on 95 Octane pump fuel.

Anyway, it's my daily run-around, so mods will end there. Very happy with it, to me worth every penny over a GTI, and a big improvement in especially the Haldex system over the G6R

In terms of negatives over the G6 series, I wasn't able to get the Dynaudio system as an option, and the basic one is a little underpowered, although it copied over the touchscreen system at least. The seats are also missing the electric lumbar support, I have no idea why.

I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years. I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years. I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, you can go on the IIHS website and look up stuff like total-loss and liability statistics for different cars. It helps explain why Lancers are more expensive to insure than a Civic, for instance (Lancer owners total their own cars, and when they do, they total a lot of other cars on the way out).

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insurance-loss-information

This site is AI as gently caress.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MS3 may be back on the menu in 2016:
http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_mazda_lineup_to_grow_mazdaspeed3_arrives_late_2016.html#articleComments

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Article loses all credibility when they mention the return of the rotary.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Man, that's a while to wait.

Also it seems odd that Mazda would plan to redo all the bodywork for one model year and then replace the platform completely the next year later. Not impossible, but odd.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah the details are clearly still up in the air and/or undivulged. I'm inclined to believe the basic timing, though: the 2018 MY date that had previously been thrown around always seemed like an awfully long time for them to be out of the segment, especially in light of the competition (Focus ST doing well, the redesigned WRX/Sti, the upcoming Golf R etc.). Time will tell I suppose.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Motor Trend posted:

Also, the automaker will bring back the next generation of its rotary engine that will find a home in the successor to the RX-7 and RX-8 sports cars.

:dance:

Now there's something to be excited about.. Although history tells me I probably shouldn't buy the first year models. 4

(well ok, probably not any year model at all)

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
So, I just spent an hour test driving one of the new Fiesta STs, and I have to say that for a small car it's not only surprisingly comfortable for a big guy like me (6'5", 260) but it has a ludicrous amount of grunt for a 1.6 Turbo. I've put down a deposit, apparently they're only getting a handful in the Maritimes, but I kinda want this car.

Any owners/drivers want to chime in on whether they're as fun to DD as they are to zip about for a few hours? Did the enchantment wear off going back and forth to work, or is it always that enjoyable?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Cthulhuite posted:

Any owners/drivers want to chime in on whether they're as fun to DD as they are to zip about for a few hours? Did the enchantment wear off going back and forth to work, or is it always that enjoyable?

As the owner of a Golf R and an Abarth I can say that, at least for me, the fun of driving them still hasn't worn off. Now my commute is <10 minutes a day and I don't get enough time to really enjoy driving them except on weekends.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

:dance:

Now there's something to be excited about.. Although history tells me I probably shouldn't buy the first year models. 4

(well ok, probably not any year model at all)

It's also almost guaranteed to be straight up bullshit. Unless Mazda has finally found something on the Rotary that nobody has ever figured out (how to make it fuel efficient) there's just no way they could afford to take a massive hit on their CAFE sheets with a rotary.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cthulhuite posted:

I have a FoST instead of a FiST, but I can say that after driving 80's F-series and a 97 Crown Vic my whole life, that the novelty of this type of vehicle hasn't worn off after a year.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Kill-9 posted:

As the owner of a Golf R and an Abarth I can say that, at least for me, the fun of driving them still hasn't worn off. Now my commute is <10 minutes a day and I don't get enough time to really enjoy driving them except on weekends.

Atmus posted:

I have a FoST instead of a FiST, but I can say that after driving 80's F-series and a 97 Crown Vic my whole life, that the novelty of this type of vehicle hasn't worn off after a year.

You people are lovely. :3:

I probably won't have more than a 15-20 minute commute, and little chance to really open up, but for the hour~ I had it driving roughly the same sort of route/roads I had so much fun, and I'm glad that other people with similar cars are having just as much fun some time on.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've had my FiST since january and put about 10k miles on it so far. It's an absolute blast every drat time I drive and I love it. Super roomy, great for everything from mountain road blasting to city parking. Almost makes me not miss my miata... almost...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I have a 45 minute commute in my FoST and honestly if it was any other car I'd hate the drive. But there's some nice curvy and scenic roads I can take to work which let me avoid the feeling of driving to work a bit more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah I've had my R for over a year now and have 17k+ miles on it. Drove it from Florida to Michigan and back, and then to Texas from Florida and back on a different trip. Both times fantastic drives. The only thing that is potentially negative is the new R looks to be better and I have to wrestle with trading mine in for the new one and taking a bath financially.

Small sporty cars are fantastic and anyone that says otherwise is delusional or dead inside. Just being able to drop some gears on the highway and rocket away from everyone at speed is worth it, let alone taking roundabouts at 40+.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Small sporty cars are fantastic and anyone that says otherwise is delusional or dead inside. Just being able to drop some gears on the highway and rocket away from everyone at speed is worth it, let alone taking roundabouts at 40+.

This is exactly how I feel.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
30 minute commute in a FoST everyday and I can agree with the others-- any other car and I may hate it. I wish the MPGs were better (I get 31-32 so that's high end of what I've seen reported) but its comfy and the windy bits on the drive are quite pleasant.

I (two months ago) put four new michelin pro pilot super sports. Imagine my frustration when I get a flat on 95 coming back from MD to NC this weekend. As it turns out, the FoST has a full size spare so I could finish the drive at a comfortable speed. As it also turns on, I got a warranty for free from my local tire place on the tire and got that bitch replaced for no cost. They didn't even need to see it either-- I just called and they ordered it and drove in yesterday and it was put on. :dance:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Bob A Feet posted:

I wish the MPGs were better (I get 31-32 so that's high end of what I've seen reported

drat dude, how lightly do you drive it? I have the fiesta and barely crack 22-24mpg, and only hit 30 once on a long highway trip slugging along in sixth the whole time!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I don't think I hit sixth the entire drive.

You've all put me at ease, I think I'm probably going to just run in there and throw money at them to get this car. Easily the most fun I've had behind the wheel!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Voltage posted:

drat dude, how lightly do you drive it? I have the fiesta and barely crack 22-24mpg, and only hit 30 once on a long highway trip slugging along in sixth the whole time!

How heavy do you drive it? I also have a fiesta and usually don't see less than 28 mpg average. Highway driving is low to mid 30's. I also have an accessport, which seems to have improved fuel economy some what (when driving normally).

Go pick that thing up, Cthulhuite. You won't regret it. Make sure to account for buying snow tires if you live somewhere that gets ANY snow. Those summer tires are suicide in any type of winter weather.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Go pick that thing up, Cthulhuite. You won't regret it. Make sure to account for buying snow tires if you live somewhere that gets ANY snow. Those summer tires are suicide in any type of winter weather.

For safety's sake please note that winter tires aren't just for deep snow, they're for any cold weather that may see ice and frost on the roads. The biggest difference between three-season and all-season tires is the compound, meaning how they react to changes in temperature, and even if you get minimal snow during the winter it's probably going to be dangerous to drive on summer tires as they'll be hard and perform terribly in the cold due to their compound.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I live on the east coast of Canada, I know all about snow. :v:

It will definitely be my first purchase for the car, as soon as the slightest bit of snow drops here it can become a deathtrap because half the roads don't get salted/gritted/ploughed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Voltage posted:

Pshhhh. I get 41mpg tank average and I beat the poo poo out of my Golf every day. But then again it's a diesel :) Filled up this morning. 13.3 gallons @ 551 miles. Gonna suck to give up the mileage when the R comes out but I'm guessing I won't miss it too much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Pshhhh. I get 41mpg tank average and I beat the poo poo out of my Golf every day. But then again it's a diesel :) Filled up this morning. 13.3 gallons @ 551 miles. Gonna suck to give up the mileage when the R comes out but I'm guessing I won't miss it too much.

I get around 17-18 around town and 28ish on the highway, dunno how much the new model's efficiency is going to affect it with the way I drive.

I have a big grin on my face the whole time though so it's worth it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Franco Caution posted:

Also, how is the sun screen thing on the GTI? I really could care less for a sunroof but if I end up with an autobahn its going to have that included. I ask because the one I saw at the dealership had this flimsy screen with pinholes in it rather than a proper fully sealed cover you could open or close to block out the sunroof. Does that actually block out light? I really hope so.
If it's like the one on my Mini (and it does sound similar going by the other guy's post) it does block a decent amount, but ultimately it does still let light in. I've gotten used to it but it can get occasionally annoying if the sun is in the right spot. For the Mini some company has made opaque covers that fit in, not sure there's something similar for GTIs, but otherwise tinting is pretty common as mentioned.

Cthulhuite posted:

You've all put me at ease, I think I'm probably going to just run in there and throw money at them to get this car. Easily the most fun I've had behind the wheel!
One of us, one of us :getin:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

japtor posted:

If it's like the one on my Mini (and it does sound similar going by the other guy's post) it does block a decent amount, but ultimately it does still let light in. I've gotten used to it but it can get occasionally annoying if the sun is in the right spot. For the Mini some company has made opaque covers that fit in, not sure there's something similar for GTIs, but otherwise tinting is pretty common as mentioned.

Have the same issue with my Abarth. I found a reflective heat shield online for $30. Cut to fit the opening exactly. No light leaks around the edges and it really cuts down on the summer heating from the sun. The sunroof is the one option I wish I _didn't_ have.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does the Mercedes-Benz GLA count as a hatchback? Because the 45 AMG version, good lord :stare:

Sort of a low crossover with the AMG being even lower with a 2.0 turbo delivering 355hp AWD.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

It just got done being 110 every day for the last 10 days or so [Los Angeles]. Your 80+ degree weather sounds wonderful.