Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

All food degrades, and it degrades slower at lower temperatures. It's pretty worth refrigerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Hypnolobster posted:

All food degrades, and it degrades slower at lower temperatures. It's pretty worth refrigerating.

I've found that the flavor can actually change in a positive way as it ages without cooling.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I've found most lose their heat, but deepen in flavor when not refrigerated.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

indoflaven posted:

I've found most lose their heat, but deepen in flavor when not refrigerated.

Precisely

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Pioneer42 posted:

This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

Maybe one should be made with a scorpion or ghost.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Cilanktro Hank Sauce is my goto. It's a small restaurant/hot sauce company in New Jersey that makes absolutely killer sauces. They're not particularly spicy, just super flavorful.

http://www.hanksauce.com/

I usually have a bottle of the Cilanktro in my fridge. It's great on just about anything.

The only one I wasn't really into was the herb-infused sauce which was made with basil. But the rest are pretty fantastic.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Cilanktro Hank Sauce is my goto. It's a small restaurant/hot sauce company in New Jersey that makes absolutely killer sauces. They're not particularly spicy, just super flavorful.

http://www.hanksauce.com/

I usually have a bottle of the Cilanktro in my fridge. It's great on just about anything.

The only one I wasn't really into was the herb-infused sauce which was made with basil. But the rest are pretty fantastic.

I was just about to buy a bottle until they tried to charge me $6 shipping on a $6 bottle of sauce :/

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This thread is full of good hot sauces. Thank you goons.

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

A Jupiter posted:

Lao Gan Ma

An amazing blend of chili oils, peppers, sesame oil, peanuts, and in my favourite kind, black beans.
It's practically mandatory when eating dumplings with my parents, goes great with stir-fry or just mixed with plain white rice.

This stuff is amazing, first picked up a jar in Yokohama Japan. Not so great for Mexican stuff or pizza but any kind of oriental food just makes it super spicy and yum! :D

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Somebody already mentioned El Yucateco, seconding. The green habanero variety is pretty drat hot, but still has a really nice flavor. If I'm careful I can put a few drops directly onto my food and still have it be palatable

For my personal favorites, about a year ago I discovered the
<---- clicky

These guys make some of my favorite sauces, in terms of balancing heat and flavor. Probably my first pick is Shoot That's Hot. Relative to their other products it's not hot at all, but that leaves more room for the flavor to come through. For more heat, and a unique flavor, I can recommend Ben's Smokin' Hot Razz Booty, made with raspberries. One drop per bite is plenty for this one.

edit:

El Marrow posted:

I was just about to buy a bottle until they tried to charge me $6 shipping on a $6 bottle of sauce :/

I hear ya brother :( Had the exact same reaction the first time I ordered from PuckerButt. Best think I can recommend is to either go in with a couple of people to help distribute the cost, or buy one of the really hot varieties and plan to use it more like a seasoning while cooking so the bottle lasts longer.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 25, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Pioneer42 posted:

I just made this.

Random parts of my hands are burning and I'm probably going to burn my dick off the next time I pee, but it was worth it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I've been on a hot pepper kick lately, and went into GWS looking for some commentary on hot peppers. I didn't see much on peppers themselves, but I found this thread instead, which I'm really happy about. Inspired, I picked up:

Lao Gan Ma - Like you've said, absolutely delicious. Had it on some mixed stir fry the other night. It wasn't take your head off hot, which was nice. Is it me, or is there possibly Sichwan pepper in there, as I got a numbing in the mouth afterwards? Definitely going to keep this stuff around.

Valentina - I have to yet eat some more Cholula, but I didn't taste much difference between the two. Then again, I haven't had them side by side. They have bottles of Cholula at work that I eat on my boiled eggs every day, so it's hard to compare.

The El Yucateco green and the Double Seahorse (I found it as Double Golden Fish Brand with a near identical label) I haven't gotten into yet.

I made the habanero sauce that's linked here, and I'll definitely be doing that again. Instead of a mango, I used a peach, and I sauteed the peach in a stainless pan to get a good crust on the peach and a fond to scrape up for flavor. I also roasted the habaneros in the oven to blacken them a bit and mellow the flavor.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The hot sauces made the heat here in the Mid Atlantic a little more bearable.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I prefer things a little sweeter:

Banana based ketchup. Like its namesake, it's sweet hitting your tongue, but has a slow burn as you keep eating it.

Filipino liver/breadcrumb sauce (Sarsa). It's basically sweet gravy, but they have a hot variety that goes really well with roasts. There's a few decent recipes online and I actually still have some from my last batch, but if you don't have the inclination, it's available pre-bottled.

Found this recently and it's been my go to jalapeno jelly since. Unlike the sauce above, the heat hits like a truck and will get you sweaty in a few bites. Phenomenal on toast, it wakes me up faster than coffee.

The first two are readily available on Amazon, though I ususally get them in Asian stores around here (A good amount of asian food marts will carry them in the NY/NJ area). The third is available to limited areas or through the website: http://www.suzannes-kitchen.com/

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love Jufran so goddamn much :yum:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I love Jufran so goddamn much :yum:

Truth be told, I grew up on UFC. But if I start naming preferences, even within just immediate family, I'll start a holy war.:ohdear:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

Truth be told, I grew up on UFC. But if I start naming preferences, even within just immediate family, I'll start a holy war.:ohdear:

Not to mention the inevitable banana vs tomato debate that always starts.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Never had UFC. The Pinoy that introduced me to banana ketchup liked Jufran and the market by my mother-in-law stocks it so it is what I get.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Fooley posted:

Random parts of my hands are burning and I'm probably going to burn my dick off the next time I pee, but it was worth it.
That's the spirit.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
wrong thread

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I found some El Yucateo green, which I had been watching for since I discovered this thread. That poo poo is pretty good! I've been throwing it on my chicken tacos, and I don't think I've had a hotter sauce that wasn't one of those "novelty use only" uber pepper/extract fortified sauces which taste like dirt.

Too hot for straight on corn chips, that's for sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CommonShore posted:

I found some El Yucateo green, which I had been watching for since I discovered this thread. That poo poo is pretty good! I've been throwing it on my chicken tacos, and I don't think I've had a hotter sauce that wasn't one of those "novelty use only" uber pepper/extract fortified sauces which taste like dirt.

Too hot for straight on corn chips, that's for sure.

They have it at all the 'mexican' places here. I just put a spoon or two of it in the little dishes of salsa they bring out with the chips, it's perfect.

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

They have it at all the 'mexican' places here. I just put a spoon or two of it in the little dishes of salsa they bring out with the chips, it's perfect.

Yeah this stuff is hard to beat and is only $1.79 where I live. I love mixing it in with the refried beans and rice and rice at the Mexican restaurants around here, gives it some kick without altering the flavor too much. They just came out with a black version (please excuse the watermark, just rehosted from Google Images):

Smoky, hot, and very good. I have been mixing this with cheddar cheese and my mom's salsa and it is great.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I grew up with this stuff and it's still the only hot sauce I've ever eaten. Never saw any reason to change a winning formula.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 9, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

After a month of experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that the Carolina Reaper is a foul piece of poo poo that's only hot for the sake of being hot. Needless to say, this a disappointing truth.

I simply can't find anything that pairs well with it, and I've tried the Sling Blade on just about everything I eat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Marrow posted:

After a month of experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that the Carolina Reaper is a foul piece of poo poo that's only hot for the sake of being hot. Needless to say, this a disappointing truth.

I simply can't find anything that pairs well with it, and I've tried the Sling Blade on just about everything I eat.

If a hot sauce doesn't go well on chicken in some form, that's saying something. I'm pretty sure that chickens evolved to pair well with hot sauce as a way of discouraging predators with sensitive palates. Chickens are so stupid.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

How is it? Until you posted this, I forgot I picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago, and it's been sitting in my pantry waiting for me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

xergm posted:

How is it?

Hot, smoky and very good.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

CommonShore posted:

If a hot sauce doesn't go well on chicken in some form, that's saying something. I'm pretty sure that chickens evolved to pair well with hot sauce as a way of discouraging predators with sensitive palates. Chickens are so stupid.

It's a good thing that most of us that like fried chicken don't have sensitive palates.

Just slap some MSG and capsaicin on that thing, and I'm good to go. :sun:

edit: This stuff used to cause me to have hallucinations when I was a noob...

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 10, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

CommonShore posted:

You're too right. Living in Atlanta, I get to try all sorts of foreign foods, and the entire experience has completely reinforced the idea that in every culture, chicken pairs with hot sauce. Don't get me wrong. It's ~ok~ on chicken, but it's just a highly disappointing pepper.

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

d3rt posted:

Hot, smoky and very good.

Haha, guess my image was too big.

Serious question though, where do you guys buy bulk hot sauce to save some money? I mean I get the 6x28oz bottles of sriracha for a really good price from Amazon, and Wal-Mart has monster bottles of Frank's but I want to get bulk Cholula (original and garlic lime if possible) and Dave's Hurtin Habanero. Googling just gets me over-priced hot sauce shops online and Amazon is more expensive than my local grocery stores.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If y'all buying Lao Gan Ma, you should be aware that there are a bunch of different "flavours" and one is head and shoulders above the rest: it's the one with the chicken bits in it.

Yeah. It's a hot chilli oil with bits of chicken bone and gristle that's been soaking in it, infusing the entire oil with the wonderful flavour of chicken. You can stir fry with it, you can flavour dishes with it, you can eat the loving thing with nothing but rice... it's that good.

http://www.laoganma.com.cn/english/e_pagedata.jsp?ID=040928111128

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just made Safety Engineer's Peach-Habanero Hot Sauce, but I used the two fresh ghost chilies a co worker gave me.
Sweet, fruity, but lights your rear end up. so tasty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have been trying to get my hands on the Louisiana Crystal sauce mentioned in the cajun thread, but without success. Is it worth continued effort?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's similar to Tabasco, but has more flavor. Just a middling sauce that people like because tradition. Just buybuybuy if you ever run across it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Burn baby burn hot sauce. Not only is it delicious, it also supports a cause we can all get behind: the Black Panther Party.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I love Crystal. It's pretty much my goto when I want some flavor. The Xtra Hot is my true favorite, but I haven't been able to find it outside my hometown. Whenever I make a trip out there, I'm always loading up a cart basket full of the stuff.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah after posting I checked their website. No retailers in Canada. One goofball specialty online store wants $6/bottle + $12 shipping for one. gently caress that.

From looking at the colour and descriptions I've read, I've been imagining it as a smokier/oaky version of Franks. Am I way off?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, way off.

It's a cleaner tasting Tabasco. Less sharp/pungent. A little sweeter. It tastes like ripe peppers blended with a good smooth vinegar pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
These bad boys right here. Only tried the one on the far left so far and its kinda like a mix between rooster sauce and crystal hot sauce. Awesome on pizza.