Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They're too busy making explosives and poison with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I mean seriously, Zeta is just so loving bad, you guys. I can't think of a single thing it does even kinda right.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why is everything so dirty if there's all this abraxo cleaner laying around?

Maybe they don't know what it does!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe they don't know what it does!
It doesn't help that all the labels have been damaged over the years, so it's hard to tell exactly what it originally was. "Abraxo cleaner" than what? Whatever it was, it must've been absolutely filthy, since these Abraxo bottles are dirty as hell themselves. God, if only there was something handy to wipe away this dust and grime...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean seriously, Zeta is just so loving bad, you guys. I can't think of a single thing it does even kinda right.
They put a samurai, cowboy, and astronaut in it?

I mean, it was poo poo. And they weren't good characters... but gently caress. A samurai, cowboy and astronaut. In the same place. That's fun... right?

God I loathed Zeta. I'm a relentless optimist about these kinds of things- I thought Anchorage wasn't to my taste, but it was focusing on an interesting bit of the backstory. The Pitt seemed to back down from its central moral dilemma, making it kind of wishy washy, and the gameplay wasn't that good... but drat if it wasn't interesting to look at a fallen member of the BoS setting up his own horrible fiefdom "for the greater good". I loved Point Lookout, regardless of how insanely bullet spongy the enemies were. I would say I quite enjoyed all the other DLC. I know they had flaws, but I enjoyed them.

But Zeta... was just a loveless pile of human excrement.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought Zeta was OK. It was mainly just a long combat gauntlet and there was no real story to speak of, but I like sci-fi imagery and stuff like the alien rifle and dry ice effects looked cool. Plus at the end you blow up a spaceship and it slowly and majestically descends into the atmosphere. I think it's definitely better than Operation Anchorage, where you play a video game inside a video game and at the end a bunch of Brotherhood Outcasts fight for no reason and then you leave.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wolfsheim posted:

The moment I gave up on Fallout 3 was the day I played through Mothership Zeta. Then I tried going back much later after FNV came out, and all the quality of life improvements missing made it pretty much unplayable.

But wow, Zeta. It is objectively worst DLC I have ever played.
Also like how it basically says that the aliens were the reason the great war happened.

Eiba posted:

The Pitt seemed to back down from its central moral dilemma, making it kind of wishy washy, and the gameplay wasn't that good... but drat if it wasn't interesting to look at a fallen member of the BoS setting up his own horrible fiefdom "for the greater good".
Hell in the Pitt I can never not help Ashur because the other guy is an rear end in a top hat and isn't going to find a cure to the Trog disease. What I hope for FO4 is that the Pitt and Capital Wasteland start more contact, maybe set up a water purifier for the three rivers and get more researchers to find a cure to the Trog problem.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Also like how it basically says that the aliens were the reason the great war happened.

No it doesn't, it never says a single thing like this.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Byzantine posted:

No it doesn't, it never says a single thing like this.

Hinted, but not outright stated.

quote:

Our defenses consist of 3 battalions of light infantry, 34 pieces of field artillery, 108 armored vehicles and 42 aerial vehicles.

(Alien Babble)

We have 38 ICBM's always on alert and ready to fire when the word is passed down from the White House.

(Alien Babble)

The codes to activate the launch sequences are... are... uhhngh.... no... I can't let you... uggh... get out of my mind!

(Alien Babble)

Agggh! The c-codes... are... ugh.... no... I can't betray... AGH! My head! I can't... won't... AGGGGH! Agggh...

(Alien Babble)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This audio log of a guy clearly struggling with all his might and likely giving up his life rather than surrender the nuclear launch codes proves that the aliens got the launch codes from him.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

2house2fly posted:

This audio log of a guy clearly struggling with all his might and likely giving up his life rather than surrender the nuclear launch codes proves that the aliens got the launch codes from him.

I'm just showin you what the game says.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well they certainly weren't a stabilizing element, those aliens.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

2house2fly posted:

I certainly don't read that final 'aggh' as 'oh he killed himself', but as a defeated sign to show that his will is breaking. It's not voice acted! Which means either could be right!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KittyEmpress posted:

I certainly don't read that final 'aggh' as 'oh he killed himself', but as a defeated sign to show that his will is breaking. It's not voice acted! Which means either could be right!
The point is moot when it was Chinese who launched the nukes triggering a number of automated nuclear defenses and some retaliation anyway via Fallout 2 endgame exposition. I'm not sure how getting the launch codes the day the Great War broke out would have changed anything in that case.

The most eye-rolling thing was the PLASMA PISTOL = SHADOW GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY!!! thing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Schrodingers cat posted:

What graphic mods are you using to generate that kind of look? Even modding FNV a lot I could never make it look that good.

Assorted ENBs (my current preference is the "Realism ENB" by enrikiller heavily tweaked) and the High-Res clothing mod alongside EVE and whatever armors/weapons.
The skybox/weather stuff is URWL NV which is in the New Vegas mods topic.
The reason Vault 22 looks so good is specifically because of a mod that totally revamps the Vault to be even more interesting and creepy.

Wolfsheim posted:

I think the setting is pretty fun as a concept and also you get a Cowboy outfit.

Plus if you noclip outside of the bridge you can shoot the alien mothership to death with a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSrLJBxpsk

So, I guess that's something too.

But yes. Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage are both really, really terrible.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like in the Pitt where you are overpowered by 6 dudes with sticks hitting you with no ability to fight back or resist, even if you have power armor and a laser gun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Berke Negri posted:

I would like some sort of mount for Fallout 4 at least, motorcycles, mutated schnauzers, anything.

Like RAGE?

A dude posted:

I like in the Pitt where you are overpowered by 6 dudes with sticks hitting you with no ability to fight back or resist, even if you have power armor and a laser gun.

Arrrrgh, that part makes me gnash my teeth remembering it. You could see it coming miles away, but the game throws you the Idiot Ball and forces you to walk into it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oddly enough the part in FO3 where you get captured is actually executed fairly well. That whole sequence is one of the better segments of the game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think any issues I had with the other 3 dlc's were more than made up for in Point Lookout. PL would be my favorite dlc out of all the dlc's for 3 and New Vegas if it weren't for the ridiculously tough swampfolk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I would like some sort of mount for Fallout 4 at least, motorcycles, mutated schnauzers, anything.
Well FO3 did have concept art for Giant Naked Mole rats that had saddles on them :getin:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

All the concept art I've seen for F3 is fantastic looking and I wonder how frustrated that guy was that it was all going to be translated into a game engine where you can basically run forward and hit a monster. Speaking of which, I've seen very little concept art for New Vegas. Is there much out there?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The point is moot when it was Chinese who launched the nukes triggering a number of automated nuclear defenses and some retaliation anyway via Fallout 2 endgame exposition. I'm not sure how getting the launch codes the day the Great War broke out would have changed anything in that case.

The most eye-rolling thing was the PLASMA PISTOL = SHADOW GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY!!! thing.

That just goes to show how disconnected FO3 is from the actual Fallout lore.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That just goes to show how disconnected FO3 is from the actual Fallout lore.

...and then Mothership Zeta pisses on Fallout lore further by having the aliens being the ones who caused the war.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2house2fly posted:

All the concept art I've seen for F3 is fantastic looking and I wonder how frustrated that guy was that it was all going to be translated into a game engine where you can basically run forward and hit a monster. Speaking of which, I've seen very little concept art for New Vegas. Is there much out there?
I'm pretty sure rope kid would give you his crude drawings if you asked :unsmith:

Not sure who else provided art for the game, but the what they felt presentable was in the guide.

Gynovore posted:

...and then Mothership Zeta pisses on Fallout lore further by having the aliens being the ones who caused the war.
Except they didn't, and by the time they may have possibly gotten the launch codes it was already long underway. Maybe they pissed a few more nukes into the pile of poo poo, but ultimately it contradicts very little about the timeline.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 30, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Why have I never used the Holorifle before? It's got the power of a Gauss rifle with the ammo consumption of a laser rifle, plus I've barely put a dent in it after 200 or so rounds of overcharged ammo. What an incredible gun this is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Why have I never used the Holorifle before?

...because you have to go into Dead Money to get it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Why have I never used the Holorifle before? It's got the power of a Gauss rifle with the ammo consumption of a laser rifle, plus I've barely put a dent in it after 200 or so rounds of overcharged ammo. What an incredible gun this is.

The holorifle is the true reward for dead money. Elijah can keep the bars, I'll settle for a weapon that can curbstomp deathclaws, thankyouverymuch

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gynovore posted:

...because you have to go into Dead Money to get it?

Getting the Holorifle, that's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Chronojam posted:

This is dumb since they are different games but I also get bothered by some conventions from my New Vegas playthroughs that aren't there in Skyrim. The companion wheel thing is so great, and the UI is just so much better out of the box, and item condition gives purpose to tons of crappy weapons. I really wish I could blacksmith some of these lovely swords together or fix them up to at least take up less space and condense value as I haul them out of a dungeon.

Yeah, I should say my "I replayed FO3 and it's better than I remembered!" thing was with A Tale of Two Wastelands, which means I was playing FO3 in FNV. It's very cool having companion wheels in FO3.

Wolfsheim posted:

The moment I gave up on Fallout 3 was the day I played through Mothership Zeta. Then I tried going back much later after FNV came out, and all the quality of life improvements missing made it pretty much unplayable.

But wow, Zeta. It is objectively worst DLC I have ever played.

I also took this replay as a chance to play the DLCs, since I had skipped all of them but Broken Steel. Point Lookout was, like everyone says, awesome, and I loving LOVE the Backwater Rifle. What a kick-rear end gun, and so loving satisfying to use. I kinda had to get into the groove of Anchorage, and it was occasionally annoying, but I did eventually warm up to it. I could see myself replaying it when I've exhausted everything else and am in the mood. Zeta though was poo poo all the way through. I didn't care about any of the characters, I wasn't challenged or intrigued by the level design, I walked away with no new loot, I learned nothing interesting about the fallout world, and I was frustrated the entire time. Zeta was really just a "some stupid poo poo happens, try and get back to the game you like." I enjoyed the Pitt just a bit less than Point Lookout, I thought the story and characters vacillated between serviceable and compelling, but the setting was very cool and I did really enjoy seeing Bethesda craft a "pick one of these two sides!" ending where it was color-coded good/bad Karma for us.

double nine posted:

The holorifle is the true reward for dead money. Elijah can keep the bars, I'll settle for a weapon that can curbstomp deathclaws, thankyouverymuch

I'm thinking part of my love for Dead Money was playing it first with a high level energy weapons character. And Elijah was only half right. There are two treasures in the Sierra Madre - the vending machines (hello never having to repair a weapon ever again, hello absurd amounts of caps for selling enemy's weapons) and the PRE-WAR MONEY. I think breaking the bank at the Madre gives you 9k Madre chips? The trick is, cashing out - the hologram behind the counter exchanges your chips on a one-chip-one-pre-war-money basis. (Ignore the fact that the icon for "prewar money" is a stack of bills.) The value of one "pre-war money" object is ten caps, which means you walk out of the Madre with 90k caps minimum if you take the time to gamble. Who the gently caress cares about the gold bars?

On one last Dead Money note: I played through the DLC like, five times, and on my last play-through I JUST realized the room with the gold bars is the ENTRANCE to the Vault Sinclair built, not the end of it. What do we think is in there?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Except it loving doesn't! If you're gonna hate 3, that's your prerogative. But goddamn, at least hate it for what it actually did instead of whatever you dreamed up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Byzantine posted:

Except it loving doesn't! If you're gonna hate 3, that's your prerogative. But goddamn, at least hate it for what it actually did instead of whatever you dreamed up.

It's certainly the kind of thing it implies. Maybe not if a) you know your Fallout lore really well and b) whoever wrote the log knew their Fallout lore really well, but in passing that's definitely an impression the player can get.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
My dislike of Mothership Zeta is all of the things mentioned above, plus before it came out I had heard it was a DLC about aliens, and I immediately thought of the Wanamingos (even though they aren't actually aliens, just inspired by Alien). I pictured having to like destroy an underground swarm of them, like a Fallout/Aliens pastiche. I would like that DLC.

I would of prefered Wanamingos to tunnelers in Lonesome Road as well.

I guess I just like Wanamingos, and wish they hadn't vanished from the series.

Slowpoke Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 30, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Wanamingos were, oddly enough, one of the least silly parts of FO2

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

drat that's a brilliant idea. Wanamingos would have been really cool, and would reinforce the theme of the past haunting the present and history repeating (I'm killing a bunch of wanamingos underground! Again!) and wouldn't stretch credulity the way the tunnelers' apparent origins as humans who took refuge in a cave underneath a bunch of radioactive waste barrels that collapsed on them does. Then again I like the tunnelers as they are now because they sort of mirror Ulysses (they "survived" but were drastically changed, like the Marked Men as well) and I really like the way they look. I wish there was more (any) visual difference between different types though, but that's most likely a budget thing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How could you do that and not dub the sound from the greatest movie of all time over it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

:colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wanamingos were, oddly enough, one of the least silly parts of FO2
Having been playing FO2 for the first time I was kind of unprepared for it, also man there was a lot of cut content in this game since I got the restoration patch for it.

The pop culture silliness of FO2 kind of makes the New Vegas Bounty mods like a homage to FO2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Having been playing FO2 for the first time I was kind of unprepared for it, also man there was a lot of cut content in this game since I got the restoration patch for it.

The pop culture silliness of FO2 kind of makes the New Vegas Bounty mods like a homage to FO2.

And that's why I don't like it as much as fallout 1. After a certain point it becomes difficult to see it as anything but "popculture: the game". Which is not to say that it doesn't have merit - vault city is great, the gameplay is overall more enjoyable than Fallout 1, but it feels a lot less cohesive to me. And I preferred fallout 1's smaller, more focused narative over fallout 2's "and the kitchen sink" approach.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Weighing up everything, I'd give 2 the edge over 1, but I'm not sure it should be forgiven for dropping the generally taut setting so cataclysmically and paving the way for,

"So, guys, wouldn't it be cool if we just stick in the androids from Blade Runner? Blade Runner is sci-fi, right? So it'll fit right in."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fallout 2 is worse than 3. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

grobbo posted:

Weighing up everything, I'd give 2 the edge over 1, but I'm not sure it should be forgiven for dropping the generally taut setting so cataclysmically and paving the way for,

"So, guys, wouldn't it be cool if we just stick in the androids from Blade Runner? Blade Runner is sci-fi, right? So it'll fit right in."
Where are there Replicants in Fallout 2?