Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It was explained. Clara was given a bracelet that regulated the size change and told to push the button when the mission was over. They just pushed their buttons on exit from the Dalek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It's a little thing really, but I was very impressed at how the direction in this episode made the big Dalek invasion force at the end actually feel threatening and powerful in a way they haven't since, well, Dalek.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

A Dalek episode turned good? What are the odds!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, take that Verity Lambert what's with all this Aztec poo poo

That was more or less my first thought too, but I think the guys problem is the "UK" part rather than the (Pseudo-)"Historical" part. Personally I'm all for mixing alien world episodes with historical episodes, its a british show with a british cast so it will tend to skew towards UK history. As long as we stay out of late 20th/early 21st century London because for Who even Victorian London is less played out than that.

Also if he meets robin hood, I'm hoping he then goes on to meet merlin and then the 3 musketeers, just do a tour of all the BBCs "Doctor who slot" shows.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

vegetables posted:

It's a little thing really, but I was very impressed at how the direction in this episode made the big Dalek invasion force at the end actually feel threatening and powerful in a way they haven't since, well, Dalek.

When was the last time the Daleks killed several people on screen? I can't remember any since Dalek.

It was great to see a Doctor Who episode in space rather than on Earth. Having so many episodes focused on Earth is so boring. All of space and time to play with, and it's not like it takes much to make a set look like another planet so why are there so many ones centered on one planet?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So Bronn was actually in this episode right? Unlike the guy who looked like him last week.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doakes posted:

So Bronn was actually in this episode right? Unlike the guy who looked like him last week.

As who?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No Jerome Flynn was not in this episode either.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I thought one of the guys with Michael Smiley was him, I guess he just has a lookalike every week.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

When was the last time the Daleks killed several people on screen? I can't remember any since Dalek.

Lord knows. Journey's End, maybe? They had that stupid thing that dissolved people in a not very dramatic way.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Oh I think I'm thinking of Ben Crompton actually, who was in Game of Thrones too and looks similar-ish to him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Plucky Brit posted:

It was great to see a Doctor Who episode in space rather than on Earth. Having so many episodes focused on Earth is so boring. All of space and time to play with, and it's not like it takes much to make a set look like another planet so why are there so many ones centered on one planet?

Lets be fair here: This episode, Space. Last episode Victorian London. Before that was the Xmas special (alien world), the 50th (all over the drat place, some on contempory earth, but some on alien worlds and some in space), then last season Trenzalore, the moon (of the future), victorian yorkshire, the TARDIS (in space, in the future), 1970s haunted house, a cold war russian sub, alien world, modern day london.

I cant be arsed going back any further, but the last 11 broadcast Doctor Who episodes have actually shown a decent spread of settings.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SiKboy posted:

I'm hoping he then goes on to meet merlin

I actually really want to see them meet the version of Merlin that was born at the "wrong end of time". Popularized by T.H. White, but consistent with some of the earlier stories about him, he had foresight not because he could see the future, but because he was born moving "backwards". So he knew what would happen, but not why it would happen. Every one of our days he got younger, but from his perspective we all got younger. Our final farewells were his first hellos and vice versa.

It just seems like something a good Who writer could turn into a great episode because of the built in Time Travel gimmick.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Jsor posted:

I actually really want to see them meet the version of Merlin that was born at the "wrong end of time". Popularized by T.H. White, but consistent with some of the earlier stories about him, he had foresight not because he could see the future, but because he was born moving "backwards". So he knew what would happen, but not why it would happen. Every one of our days he got younger, but from his perspective we all got younger. Our farewells were his first hellos and vice versa.

It just seems like something a good Who writer could turn into a great episode because of the built in Time Travel gimmick.

A good Who writer has done something with this very concept, as it happens, in Paul Cornell's Demon Knights! Having said that, the something he does is pretty much "no interesting things whatsoever".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Doakes posted:

I thought one of the guys with Michael Smiley was him, I guess he just has a lookalike every week.

Yeah, I think Jerome Flynn's agent would be fired if "anonymous, non-speaking Dalek-fodder" was the best possible job for him.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

"Where's the real Jerome Flynn?" is the season arc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Into the Dalek gifs

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 31, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great episode.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Beginning to hate how every future space soldier looks like a 1980s Top Gun pilot.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

SiKboy posted:

Also if he meets robin hood, I'm hoping he then goes on to meet merlin and then the 3 musketeers, just do a tour of all the BBCs "Doctor who slot" shows.

Meet Merlin? Who do you think Merlin was? Timeless magician turning up out-of-the-blue (box) and manipulating history?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

happyhippy posted:

Beginning to hate how every future space soldier looks like a 1980s Top Gun pilot.

Then how come they're not playing volleyball hmmmm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Comfy Chairs posted:

Meet Merlin? Who do you think Merlin was? Timeless magician turning up out-of-the-blue (box) and manipulating history?

This actually happens in Battlefield, the villain says that despite changing his face she still recognizes him as Merlin, and the Doctor figures out that she was defeated earlier in her life by an incarnation later in his own!

Unless it was the Meta-Crisis Doctor on his way to locking himself into a tree to get away from Rose....

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I also like how everyone is just sort of trying to forget the whole Power Rangers Daleks thing ever happened.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Comfy Chairs posted:

I don't know if you've ever seen John Boorman's Excalibur (which I adore), but the Merlin Nicol Williamson plays in that might as well be the (10th? 11th?) Doctor in personality as well, chewing any scenery in sight and bouncing around like an overexcited child. It's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsiGd8iAfs

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Jerusalem posted:

This actually happens in Battlefield, the villain says that despite changing his face she still recognizes him as Merlin, and the Doctor figures out that she was defeated earlier in her life by an incarnation later in his own!

Unless it was the Meta-Crisis Doctor on his way to locking himself into a tree to get away from Rose....

I only have a passing knowledge of the McCoy years and even less knowledge of the desert years between. McCoy was my Doctor so maybe I always have that manipulative personality at the front of my mind.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't know if you've ever seen John Boorman's Excalibur (which I adore), but the Merlin Nicol Williamson plays in that might as well be the (10th? 11th?) Doctor in personality as well, chewing any scenery in sight and bouncing around like an overexcited child. It's great!

Has made its way onto my iPod.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Prison Warden posted:

I also like how everyone is just sort of trying to forget the whole Power Rangers Daleks thing ever happened.

Yeah, even the "leader" Dalek wasn't one of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

vegetables posted:

Yeah the Daleks are only scary when they're just... constantly advancing. Like, they're dorky things made out what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s no matter what, but when done right they're nigh-unstoppable murder machines made out of what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s.

Prison Warden posted:

I am 100% okay with this :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of the power ranger Daleks, I recall one of the reasons being put out for why they were designed (the real reason was merchandising potential) is because Karen Gillan was taller than Billie Piper, and the previous model had been designed to be at her eye level. So I was glad to see this:

The Doctor and Clara are both taller than the Dalek and it doesn't make it any less menacing (to me, anyway).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the Daleks are only scary when they're just... constantly advancing. Like, they're dorky things made out what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s no matter what, but when done right they're nigh-unstoppable murder machines made out of what ten pounds could buy back in the 60s.

They're tanks, basically. Tanks than can screech at you while they're shooting you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I love this movie so much, thanks for reminding me of it.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

2) I think that was basically a straight retread of Dalek. Only bad. :psyduck:

ftfy

They even reused the "you would make a good Dalek" line. gently caress you, i've seen this already, guys.

this is the same episode minus the pathos

clara is good, capaldi doctor is good except for when he's sad the dalek is judging him, episode is bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Potooweet posted:

episode is bad.

Okay this is the first negative post re: the episode I've seen, so according to Doctor Who thread history we should be getting somebody to pop in here any moment to complain about the relentless negativity permeating the entire thread.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It was definitely better than last week, if only because it didn't have all the bloat to make it take longer than usual.

I think it was mostly better than Dalek. Also I think the "you are a good Dalek" line has a different tone. It's similar, but in context it has a different meaning - instead of "you would do a really good job as a Dalek" it's more "you are what you get if a Dalek has a sense of good and evil".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Shugojin posted:

Also I think the "you are a good Dalek" line has a different tone. It's similar, but in context it has a different meaning - instead of "you would do a really good job as a Dalek" it's more "you are what you get if a Dalek has a sense of good and evil".

Browsing Tumblr right after it aired, it distressed me terribly how many people totally missed the distinction.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It was better than the script, I'll give it that. I thought the reuse of antibodies was a little blatant but whatever.

It's a shame we didn't see some past Doctors in the mind meld scene.

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of this relentless negativity!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

PriorMarcus posted:

It was better than the script, I'll give it that. I thought the reuse of antibodies was a little blatant but whatever.

It's a shame we didn't see some past Doctors in the mind meld scene.

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

We're only two episodes in; I'm sure he will be running and jumping and climbing trees before too long.

And in the first episode he was riding a horse in a nightshirt so idk.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Browsing Tumblr right after it aired, it distressed me terribly how many people totally missed the distinction.

It's a distinction without difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I noticed the same thing, it seems for these early episodes at least they've decided to write the Doctor as physically active as the most recent "young" Doctors and just film around it. Capaldi is still very spry and they can easily play up his physical agility without having to have him handstand-surfing a horse galloping underneath a Sontaran battleship.

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, I'm getting a little tired of this relentless negativity!

I'm gonna edit a Dalek stalk coming out of your avatar's hat! :argh:

• Locked thread