Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

So to add to the scoreboard, the list of things Apple can't get right: GPUs (from both major vendors!), cable moorings, plastic cases

The sad truth is that both major vendors of discrete GPUs seem to target much lower reliability metrics than what is standard for CPUs and other major components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Martytoof posted:

The 13 also has 2xTB2 according to wikipedia and i ordered mine with that understanding.

Welp, done deal.

Does anyone know if the Apple Store carries any of the 16gb models in store or is that BTO-only? I guess waiting for the middle of next week is all right, but it'd be cool if I had it for the long weekend.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They will have a maxed out configuration with 16gigs RAM and 512gig SSD. They might have a slightly different one so you should just call first and their inventory people can check easily.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Might not be the best place to ask, but do Apple ever announce Mac products at events like the one scheduled for 9/9? I'd like to upgrade my current MBP2009, mainly because it's a bit heavy and the screen at 1280x800 isn't really all that great anymore (even though day-to-day performance is absolutely fine).

I'd like to do some on-the-go photo editing (and less frequently, video) so what is my best option if the dGPU 15" is out of my price range? I like the portability and battery life of the Air but not the lack of retina display, so if that's an option that may show up soon (i.e. October) I don't mind waiting.

But is that sort of task even doable on the other options or would I have to look elsewhere? I have a beefy PC for editing at home, but sometimes I'd like to transfer over photos out in the field/when abroad.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Macbook Pros just got a spec bump a few weeks ago. Broadwell is expected in February, but nobody really knows what Apple will do.

I am guessing that video editing will go splendidly with the integrated GPU on the 13" or the 15".

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I'm having a bit of a problem with an external hard drive. At some point last week, it stopped mounting. When i checked it in disk utility. it was showing as seen i the attached image, as a 'virtual whole disk'.

Previously, it was just a single partition drive. Encrypted, hfs.

DU, via the GUI, is worthless of course. So I tried diskutil and get this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rwxoyr7lsec4aw/screenshot-194.png?dl=0
Next, I used diskutil to show core storage volumes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kz0wj5s4969axz/screenshot-195.png?dl=0

So, the partition is there, but it is not 'visible', for lack of a better term. I tried a few disk management apps to see what I could find (Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, Disk Drill).
Aside from disk drill, none showed anything special.

Disk Drill, however, shows me that the partition is there, sees the volume name (PortaData) and in their 'recovery' mode', it finds files and data. That would be fine except a) it recovers raw data with no filenames or structure and b) it's expensive. Most alarmingly though, it finds the files but didn't prompt me for the encryption password at any point.

Here's the disk utility error, alongside the info pane from disk drill. https://www.dropbox.com/s/llmza5wenghhu70/screenshot-193.png?dl=0

So, my question to you guys is this: how can I recover the entire partition?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There was some speculation about the iMac getting the new eight-core CPU intel just announced, do they even have a 140 twdp capability?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Bob Morales posted:

There was some speculation about the iMac getting the new eight-core CPU intel just announced, do they even have a 140 twdp capability?

There is absolutely no chance of that happening. Anyone who thought Apple would put an -E CPU in the iMac is out of their minds.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well my old MBP crashed way too many times and I was drunk so 2800 dollars after tax later I have an rMBP so you won, alright? This machine is freaking awesome. I hate that my old MagSafe adapters aren't compatible.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pivo posted:

Well my old MBP crashed way too many times and I was drunk so 2800 dollars after tax later I have an rMBP so you won, alright? This machine is freaking awesome. I hate that my old MagSafe adapters aren't compatible.

Here you go.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD504ZM/A/magsafe-to-magsafe-2-converter

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hahah, today just gets better. I'll pick up two of those next time I'm downtown. Why is MagSafe 2 perpendicular instead of parallel! Didn't they learn their poo poo last time?! Well, without Ethernet (no I don't want the tb adapter thanks) it's going to take a long time to pull all my poo poo from Time Machine.

Goddamn it is loving slim as hell though. Three years of progress I guess.

Now what do I do with the old MBP? A lot of it can be parted out even if the mobo is hosed.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pivo posted:

Blahahaha. So funny to read this after your recent declaration of this forum's advice of how awesome the rMBP is. Yes, everything is soldered but it's a fantastic machine. :D

I had a 15" MBP with high res screen and was blown away at the rMBP hardware.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In how many pieces is my rMBP shipping? :stonk:

"Some assembly required"

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does anyone have experience replacing the SSD in a Macbook Air? I have a mid-2011 model and between dual booting OSX and Win7 with a few different VMs and a whole lot of IDEs my 128 gigs are struggling to keep up.

I'm more than comfortable opening this thing up, but haven't found a lot of info on replacement drives. I've been looking at the OWC Aura Drives, can anyone recommend this or any other models?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, those prices aren't so bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I would be wary about the OWC Aura drives, just from my own experience and this MacRumors thread.

ENTERING ANECDOTAL ZONE adjust perceptions accordingly

In my experience, I've installed a lot of these in at client's requests.

Anecdotally, I've seen pretty much about a fourth of all the installs of the Aura drive for 2010/2011 models result in the machines being brought back later because of slowness / crashing issues; running Apple diagnostics on said machines usually generated an error from the thermal sensor for the SSD. Replacing the Apple SSD usually resulted in the error disappearing.

Literally just days ago I installed a 250 GB Aura into a 2010 MBA; I noted that on the SSD that there was now a white thermal pad affixed in a strategic position on the SSD that I'm pretty sure wasn't on the first Auras I installed, and definitely doesn't exist on the Apple ones.

Having said that, I left said MBA on overnight watching a locally streamed live TV news channel and the next day immediately booted into diagnostics which came up with no temp warnings. Either way it seems OWC is aware of the problem and the thermal pad is either a band-aid or their only real fix of the problem, although if Apple's SSD doesn't need a thermal pad I'm not sure why theirs needs one. Just use better components?

It should be noted that this thermal pad is not visible in the install video.

LEAVING ANECDOTAL ZONE

Other than that, it's a lot less expensive than eBaying OEM Apple parts.

Edits: replacing awkward phrasing

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 31, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So, 5 hours later I'm online on my new MBP and Time Machine worked far better than it did last time, everything is exactly as it was and even my keychain stuck around. Everything is exactly as I left it. Even my Terminal buffer came back! This poo poo is ridiculous.

Pretty coooool. So now that I don't have an HDD and only 512GB on-board to play with, I'm thinking of storing movies and TV shows and poo poo on my Time Capsule. Does anyone have any experience using it as a NAS? Is it fast enough? I have like 1.7TB free on it, seems like a waste, and there's no way I'm going to plug in an external every time, so it's either that or buy an actual NAS which I don't really want to do.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Anecdotally, I've seen pretty much about a fourth of all the installs of the Aura drive for 2010/2011 models result in the machines being brought back later because of slowness / crashing issues; running Apple diagnostics on said machines usually generated an error from the thermal sensor for the SSD. Replacing the Apple SSD usually resulted in the error disappearing.

Thanks! I'll stay away.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

So, 5 hours later I'm online on my new MBP and Time Machine worked far better than it did last time, everything is exactly as it was and even my keychain stuck around. Everything is exactly as I left it. Even my Terminal buffer came back! This poo poo is ridiculous.

Pretty coooool. So now that I don't have an HDD and only 512GB on-board to play with, I'm thinking of storing movies and TV shows and poo poo on my Time Capsule. Does anyone have any experience using it as a NAS? Is it fast enough? I have like 1.7TB free on it, seems like a waste, and there's no way I'm going to plug in an external every time, so it's either that or buy an actual NAS which I don't really want to do.

I watch video streamed from my 802.11ac Time Capsule using my 802.11n laptop. It works acceptably well. When you first start browsing or you open the video, it takes a few seconds to spin up. If you stop and resume or suddenly jump a large distance it can take a few seconds as well. I suspect that putting your stuff in a .sparsebundle improves performance.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, I would be wary about the OWC Aura drives, just from my own experience and this MacRumors thread.

ENTERING ANECDOTAL ZONE adjust perceptions accordingly

In my experience, I've installed a lot of these in at client's requests.

Literally just days ago I installed a 250 GB Aura into a 2010 MBA; I noted that on the SSD that there was now a white thermal pad affixed in a strategic position on the SSD that I'm pretty sure wasn't on the first Auras I installed, and definitely doesn't exist on the Apple ones.

Having said that, I left said MBA on overnight watching a locally streamed live TV news channel and the next day immediately booted into diagnostics which came up with no temp warnings. Either way it seems OWC is aware of the problem and the thermal pad is either a band-aid or their only real fix of the problem, although if Apple's SSD doesn't need a thermal pad I'm not sure why theirs needs one. Just use better components?

It should be noted that this thermal pad is not visible in the install video.

LEAVING ANECDOTAL ZONE

Other than that, it's a lot less expensive than eBaying OEM Apple parts.

Edits: replacing awkward phrasing

That sucks. I have used their memory, optical drive, and SATA SSD upgrades in the past and usually their products are pretty stellar. Sometimes apple doesn't offer the fastest or largest storage on the planet because the hardware wasn't designed to house it. They probably have pretty strict requirements on the components they use.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

That sucks. I have used their memory, optical drive, and SATA SSD upgrades in the past and usually their products are pretty stellar. Sometimes apple doesn't offer the fastest or largest storage on the planet because the hardware wasn't designed to house it. They probably have pretty strict requirements on the components they use.

It should be remembered that OWC does have a long history of supporting Apple products, some well and some not so well. Their tech support has always been pretty real whenever I've had to deal with them.

One of their sales themes still is that they can offer upgrades not provided by Apple. Sometimes there's a reason, good or not, not to.

If they can be faulted for anything IMHO, it's that their quality control wildly varies with each product.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

In how many pieces is my rMBP shipping? :stonk:

"Some assembly required"

Apple will usually ship an AC adapter, extension cord, and laptop in one box; if you order one or two video dongles they usually can pack those in that same box. Any extra stuff usually ships in another box. A copy of your AppleCare agreement (if you bought some) usually arrives in a small bubble pack envelope under separate cover.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mattavist posted:

Thanks! I'll stay away.

Might want to try these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-240GB-Upgrade-Macbook/dp/B00JKCHNQS/

Reports indicate this unit runs cooler than the OWC Aura and they even include their own TRIM enabling software with the unit. I've only installed one of these back in June and had no issues from the client. A lot of people claim Transcend stuff sucks, but I've used their PATA SSDs to revive old HP and Dell laptops with few issues.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock any good? I'm seeing mixed reviews online, with people initially slating it for being flakey when it was first released, but apparently it's better after a firmware revision?

I like the concept, and the price is ok, but i can't be bothered with it if it's going to be at all flakey.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Is the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock any good? I'm seeing mixed reviews online, with people initially slating it for being flakey when it was first released, but apparently it's better after a firmware revision?

I like the concept, and the price is ok, but i can't be bothered with it if it's going to be at all flakey.

I've had one since it was released, it was indispensable for me because my first-gen Thunderbolt iMac doesn't have USB3 and this provides 3 ports (I don't think it gives you the full bandwidth, but I only use 1 USB3 drive at a time). Audio output was a bit flakey in 10.7 but it's been fine ever since 10.8.

I'm only a bit miffed that it's $150-ish these days, because I paid $300 for it.

Also, got my Macbook Pro. Opted to just get the 256gb in-store 13" model, since most of my serious work still happens on my iMac anyways, I'm pretty happy with just how snappy and light it is compared to my dinosaur C2D version. Also, has anyone messed with any of the Thunderbolt GPU expanders? I wouldn't be using it for gaming at all, just something that I could toss for extra CUDA computation in some video editing apps.

One thing; this thing boasts a pretty high resolution, but the UI in some apps like Davinci Resolve doesn't seem to scale at all. Is there a way to force apps to display in full resolution instead of cutting off some UI elements? Resolve in particular wants a 2560x1600 resolution, but when I launch the program it looks just like it did on my old Macbook.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Might want to try these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-240GB-Upgrade-Macbook/dp/B00JKCHNQS/

Reports indicate this unit runs cooler than the OWC Aura and they even include their own TRIM enabling software with the unit. I've only installed one of these back in June and had no issues from the client. A lot of people claim Transcend stuff sucks, but I've used their PATA SSDs to revive old HP and Dell laptops with few issues.

Apparently Transcend uses SMI (Silicon Motion Inc.) controllers. SMI is new to full performance SSDs, they've apparently mostly been a manufacturer of controllers for SD cards and the like. They appear to be trying to fill the niche left by SandForce no longer being an open market supplier (Seagate bought SF a few months ago and although they'll be honoring existing contracts future products will likely be Seagate-internal-only).

Unfortunately, from the reviews out there it looks like SMI may be good at low power (which you need to be to work well in a SD card), but the performance may not be quite there yet. Sustained throughput is ok on some controllers, it's the 4K random write tests and so forth which don't look very good at all.

Sucks that the option right now is between good controller with stupid board design flaws (*) and unproven/slow controller with better design.

* - seriously, that MacRumors thread... having designed PCBs I can say that thread is wrong to attribute the fit issues to manufacturing variation, it's dumb design mistakes, literally someone too lazy to do something other than a sharp right angle for the corner of the board

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Binary Badger posted:

Apple will usually ship an AC adapter, extension cord, and laptop in one box; if you order one or two video dongles they usually can pack those in that same box. Any extra stuff usually ships in another box. A copy of your AppleCare agreement (if you bought some) usually arrives in a small bubble pack envelope under separate cover.

But unless it's a new dongle they just came out with they can usually ship that from stock already in North America. I'd chalk it up to broken UPS tracking.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

1st AD posted:

I've had one since it was released, it was indispensable for me because my first-gen Thunderbolt iMac doesn't have USB3 and this provides 3 ports (I don't think it gives you the full bandwidth, but I only use 1 USB3 drive at a time). Audio output was a bit flakey in 10.7 but it's been fine ever since 10.8.

I'm only a bit miffed that it's $150-ish these days, because I paid $300 for it.

Good to hear - I'll add it to my shopping list. Thanks!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fordan posted:

I'd chalk it up to broken UPS tracking.

Oh yeah no, I was trying to be funny -- I'm sure it's just busted UPS tracking :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the market for 15" Pros like? Are they being bought for desktop replacements or do people actually carry these things around?

I lugged mine out of the house instead of my Air, and I'm trying to think of a reason I would need 16GB of RAM and an i7, battery life is already down to 80%, plus this thing i just a monster in footprint and heft. Woof.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone I know with the 15" wanted the i7 and 16GB for work. Lots of VMs, lots of processing on the road. I do a smaller subset of all that so I opted for the i5 13" but still 16GB for VMs, etc.

I think one of the go-to reasons is "bigger screen", but I actually don't know anyone personally that bought one for that reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Everyone I know with the 15" wanted the i7 and 16GB for work. Lots of VMs, lots of processing on the road. I do a smaller subset of all that so I opted for the i5 13" but still 16GB for VMs, etc.

That's basically the reason I took it today - trying to experiment prototype some stuff using clones of our web/db servers.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in it because it will be my only computer and I want something pretty powerful in that case. According to the spec sheet it weighs less than the macbook I have now so...should be fine to carry around.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bob Morales posted:

What's the market for 15" Pros like? Are they being bought for desktop replacements or do people actually carry these things around?

I lugged mine out of the house instead of my Air, and I'm trying to think of a reason I would need 16GB of RAM and an i7, battery life is already down to 80%, plus this thing i just a monster in footprint and heft. Woof.

I went with the 15" 2012 rMBP for the extra computing power, screen resolution, and dedicated GPU. This was when the retina first came out so I figured it needed all the help it could get with the increase in pixel density.

Mine is transported from home to work every day so I needed a powerhouse I could pack in my bag. I am a .net developer so I needed a machine capable of hosting a VM at realtime speeds.

When I am home the screen size is great; the resolution is perfect for surfing in its "best for retina" setting.

Portable use? Ha. The battery life isn't great but I can accomplish work for around 3.5 hours if I need to. Surfing might hit 5.5. It's enough.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bob Morales posted:

this thing i just a monster in footprint and heft. Woof.

And I got criticized by that Popeye guy for saying the 17" is heavy...

Martytoof posted:

I think one of the go-to reasons is "bigger screen"

It's not so much about the screen size, it's the resolution. 1920x1200 is my baseline for serious and sustained work.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

jink posted:

Portable use? Ha. The battery life isn't great but I can accomplish work for around 3.5 hours if I need to. Surfing might hit 5.5. It's enough.
Are you using Windows or otherwise doing work that's utilizing the discrete GPU? That hour total seems rather low for the rMBPs in OS X if not using the discrete GPU.

flavor posted:

And I got criticized by that Popeye guy for saying the 17" is heavy...
The 17" is heavy by the standards of the Air and rMBPs, but compared to many/most of the equivalent PC portables of the time, not so much. Hell, transporting my Dell M4800 with power break (work) makes the 17" MBP look like an Air by comparison.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I use a 17" MBP every day. It's a bit heavy, but in a backpack with just some lunch and a couple of papers, it works fine without getting any back pain or anything. They need to hurry up and make a 17" rMBP so I can afford a used one in a few years :(.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ShadeofBlue posted:

I use a 17" MBP every day. It's a bit heavy, but in a backpack with just some lunch and a couple of papers, it works fine without getting any back pain or anything. They need to hurry up and make a 17" rMBP so I can afford a used one in a few years :(.

Unfortunately I'd put the chances of a 17" rMBP ever being released at "a snowball's chance in hell".

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

16gb of RAM and an i7 in a mobile form factor is how lots of video guys get work done, especially if they're young/one-man-band kind of guys. Even for just a mobile DIT it's a lot smaller and lighter than having to lug around an iMac or Mac Pro.

I kind of wish they still kept the old Unibody form factor around but put in a Retina screen, because you could probably stuff in a couple more SSD's in the 15" body when the optical drive is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I carry a 15" rMBP around work and campus all day, fly with it, cycle with it, etc. I've had 15" and 13" MBPs, MacBook Airs, and portability doesn't really phase me at this point. The Air's definitely nice, especially on a plane. But I definitely love the Retina display and insane performance over the Air. Battery life is awesome too: 5-6 hours using a VM for development, way more for light use.

Use whatever works best for you. All the machines have their place.