Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should this card have been canceled?
This poll is closed.
No way the fighters worked and trained too hard 23 27.71%
Yes I am not paying for this 60 72.29%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Holy poo poo he just killed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
loving awesome KO.

drat, two 5 round stops in a row. That's insane.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
TJ is a loving monster, god drat. Four rounds of amazing output followed by KTFO.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
JUST LIKE BARAO JUST LIKE BARAO

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Didn't go the distance. Nice job by Soto, looked not bad.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Soto was on his way to winning the title on Stockton rules

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
head kick owned

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
TJ owns

Good poo poo from Soto too

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That was a crazy end to the fight, but Soto looked great and I hope we get more Soto in our lives!

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Round 5 finishes are the best.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
THAT HEADKICK. yasssss

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Event was so much better than it had any right to be.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah Soto has nothing to be ashamed of.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
That went perfectly for UFC considering all the other failures surrounding the event. Soto looked credible and TJ gets a great highlight reel finish

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Pretty sure TJ has the record now for most 5th round finishes right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

soto about to crack the top ten going 0-1 in the ufc
this is 100% accurate

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Dillashaw vs. Cruz would be interesting if Cruz is anything like he was three years ago, the last time he fought

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
not to excuse the really bad card on paper, but all told that event could have been a whole lot worse

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Does Rogan have his wallet on a chain? Class.

edit: not watch

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Dillashaw vs. Cruz would be interesting if Cruz is anything like he was three years ago, the last time he fought

the most likely scenario presuming he wins and looks like at least a shadow of his former self.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
That would have been a really fun Fight Night.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Card was pretty good and entertaining, but you'd be crazy to expect anyone to lay down 55 bucks ahead of time to watch it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

soto was very impressive but tj is next level

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNv1QLdXzIg

Dana probably going to be really defensive about this card so this might not be watchable

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i know they needed to try and sell soto as a competitive fighter but that commentary was particularly awful in the early rounds

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Soto might have won the 3rd round, maybe, but otherwise I have 50 or 49 points for Dillashaw before he got the KO.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNv1QLdXzIg

Dana probably going to be really defensive about this card so this might not be watchable

surely you mean especially watchable

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

surely you mean especially watchable

i rarely watch post fights but i'm watching the gently caress out of this one

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I think two fifth round finishes is a record in of itself.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Fifth round finishes are the best

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Soto might have won the 3rd round, maybe, but otherwise I have 50 or 49 points for Dillashaw before he got the KO.

That seems to be what the pros are saying but it's weird because I had the second as being the closest, Soto had a series of 3 or 4 rights in the middle of the round that snapped TJ's head back well, but TJ was more active.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
I feel sean shelby will book something stupid like soto vs barao, but really barao with his record and history will always be a contender much like faber. I'd say book soto vs winner of cruz v mizugaki, if soto beats that winner, then do barao v soto for a title shot. Dillashaw should face Assunscao next so that should let some dust settle with contenders.
edit: this doesn't mean soto showed he should have been a contender but promotion wise, he did just get koed in the 5th against the champ in a VERY short notice fight, that should do something to your stock rankings(internal)-wise

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lloyd Boner posted:

god bless Anderson Silva

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ninja PD posted:

That seems to be what the pros are saying but it's weird because I had the second as being the closest, Soto had a series of 3 or 4 rights in the middle of the round that snapped TJ's head back well, but TJ was more active.

I had the 2nd round close to even until the last minute. TJ won the 2nd round near the end for me.

I did have the 3rd round close to even. 1st, 4th, and 5th before KO were obviously for TJ.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

The reason is because by the fifth round we've all mentally accepted that the fight is going the distance. Even in these last two TJ Dillashaw fights where he's beating the poo poo out of his opponent for 4 rounds straight, it's still unexpected. And then you have other 5th round stoppages like the Anderson/Chael one that make your mind explode.

GRBass posted:

I feel sean shelby will book something stupid like soto vs barao, but really barao with his record and history will always be a contender much like faber. I'd say book soto vs winner of cruz v mizugaki, if soto beats that winner, then do barao v soto for a title shot. Dillashaw should face Assunscao next so that should let some dust settle with contenders.

Nah setting Soto up for a rematch with TJ anytime soon again would be a waste of time. If Soto got knocked out in 30 seconds there would be an argument that he didn't have a fair fight, but over the 23 minutes of the fight you saw most of his skill and how it stood up to TJ. Not bad, but not outstanding or anything.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Awesome fight, TJ is really churning out classics. Props to Soto too, he put up two really close rounds (I think he slightly edged the 2nd) and went deeper than anyone ever expected.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Northjayhawk posted:

I had the 2nd round close to even until the last minute. TJ won the 2nd round near the end for me.

I did have the 3rd round close to even. 1st, 4th, and 5th before KO were obviously for TJ.

The third round was much more of a dominating performance from TJ than the second, which I felt was the only round you could conceivably give Soto.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
So who the hell do they match Soto up with next

Maybe winner of Brimage/Perez? Bedford/Yahya?

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
TJ through-out was obviously the better of the two, but I mean this fight basically showed what happens when you aren't tailoring drilling routines or strategies around a fighters particular strengths. TJ showed he was the better wrestler with his scrambles defense and even takedowns but without having someone study tape and what not about a persons game off of their back he'd probably just rather not risk staying in guard too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

GRBass posted:

edit: this doesn't mean soto showed he should have been a contender but promotion wise, he did just get koed in the 5th against the champ in a VERY short notice fight, that should do something to your stock rankings(internal)-wise

Assuncao is fighting Caraway in October, even if he wins (which he should) I have a feeling they'll give Cruz the shot if he beats Mizugaki.

• Locked thread