Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The new daleks are shite and everyone has realised it

This.

The 2005 dalek redesign basically kept the same overall shape and features as the classic ones, but were much more rugged and tougher looking. In fact in one of the documentaries on the DVDs they mention how RTD basically gave the designers a free hand to take whatever features from dalek designs throughout the decades that they wanted, his only stipulation was that it was copper and bronze and looked like it had been machined and manufactured.

The only thing I wish they would do is dump the colour scheme for a different one, I think the RTD daleks look bloody fantastic in classic colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I liked this episode a lot more than last week's, and it definitely helped establish what I assume is this seasons ongoing theme of the Doctor questioning and coming to terms with his morality.

That said, I am also getting a bit fatigued with the Daleks. I hope this is their only appearance this season, and that we can get some more original monsters/stories going.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It was an all right ep. Mostly due to Capaldi's performance. When he gets momentum and gets matched with the right material, he's going to be a powerhouse. So far it's his subtle-yet-driven performance that seems to be carrying the show for me. He hasn't had time to really sweep us off our feet yet, but I feel that's coming.

The script wasn't terrible though - mainly what I didn't like was that there was a lot of set design inside the Dalek that just had my eyes rolling. It didn't feel particularly creative or 'sell' me on the idea of being in this burning hate-machine.

Clara is an actual 3 dimensional personality in the show now - that's the high point of the script. The goofy scifiness of it all, and the redux of the 'a good dalek???' theme from the series past is really just a pretext for Clara to demonstrate her humanity to us.

I do like that the theme of this season so far seems to be moral gray and questioning assumptions. Capaldi is definitely THE man for the job delivering a complex and intricate doctor that doesn't seem fake.

Visual high point of the episode: The very old-school-optical-effects-looking warping that happened when going through the dalek lens. Really loved that.
I was hoping we'd see more surreal old school scifi things inside the Dalek in that vein, but aside from the Hal 9000 panels, not so much.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 31, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems like every Doctor's first trial comes when their TARDIS has been taken away by some plot hyjinx.

This episode was odd at first, but replaying it in my mind the more I liked it. The focus on Clara having her own social connections without the Doctor in a way that didn't paint her as a ditz the way Bells Of St John did, reminded me of the better story writing of the RTD era without the camp that always dragged it down.
And people died along the way that weren't irredeemable fuckheads, and the Doctor had to put aside the grief for the sake of his mission. Which reminded me of how Tennant's second and third and movie quasi-season always had the Doctor meet a party of complete strangers and it seemed to be a wager sport for the audience to guess who survives (see: Voyage of the Damned, Midnight, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars). So it also felt a bit classic for this, too.

Negatives? Well, I felt Clara would be a writer nightmare after The Name Of The Doctor because she knew too much, having been subtly influencing him since before he even left Gallifrey through 50 years of TV adventures and ostensibly so much else. She even found the Time Warrior-Doctor kept in a lockbox that he didn't want her to see. So after having seen so much through the Doctor's eyes, why would she possibly be so naively optimistic when it comes to Daleks? She ought to know better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In the script Rusty goes onto the Dalek ship and self destructs in the same way the Dalek did in "Dalek", with his orbs detaching and spinning around. I guess they changed that because they want to bring him back?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I may have a new favorite series of DW. Yeah, the set designs struck me as :effort: or perhaps more accurately budgeted against the CGI, what with like a minute of Clara crawling through vacuum tubes, and the Doctor resembling in many ways the Daleks he so very much hates (that hate being a large part of the resemblance) is hardly untread ground in nuWho, but I was so engaged I didn't really mind either point. Clara fuckin' owns.

PriorMarcus posted:

In the script Rusty goes onto the Dalek ship and self destructs in the same way the Dalek did in "Dalek", with his orbs detaching and spinning around. I guess they changed that because they want to bring him back?

Rusty becomes 12's K-9.

e: I loved the sly remark when Clara is trying to get him to notice her change of clothes, referring to why he is always wearing the same outfit

Four Score fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 31, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Episodes in which 12 got hornswoggled by a cyborg: 2/2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PriorMarcus posted:

I know I wanna see him come back. People here have talked about the concept of a Dalek companion before, and I think a recurring Rusty's the closest we'll get.

I think this is probably one of the stronger Dalek episodes of the revival. It has some silly moments, but it's a really neat idea that manages to construct an interesting way for the Daleks to be threatening. Rusty himself is a pretty nice exploration of the character of a Dalek. I thought it was going to be that he was lying and only using them to fix his radiation leak, but I much prefer the fact he actually did break in just the right way.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I assumed that they removed the scene because a Dalek suicide bombing the saucer in light of the recent increased terror level news would be a little too close to reality for some people.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Laradus posted:

a Dalek suicide bombing the saucer would be a little too close to reality for some people.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was okay, but like most Dalek episodes I found it a bit rote and unmemorable. I liked Danny Pink though!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My only gripe is that the Dalek officer/captain looks exactly the same as all the others. Why couldn't they have just wheeled out the old Dalek Sec prop? The Black Daleks are awesome.

Also I kind of hoped the Daleks would go into 'THE DOCTOR IS DETECTED' as soon as they spotted the TARDIS, but I suppose that'd make it out-of-character for them to just send only one ship after the Aristotle.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Liked it a lot! Capaldi's great, Clara's good, Michael Smiley is always nice to see and this Danny Pink person seems alright, too. I really like where they're going with the Twelfth Doctor; it's really not that they're making him darker, it's just that he doesn't bother to apologise if he has to step into moral grey areas every once in a while any more. "YOU ARE A GOOD DALEK" was a great gut-punch of a line, too (and really not at all the same as the similar one in Dalek).

The scenes in the Dalek mothership were great too, because I just can't get enough of Daleks talking to each other. One goes "WE FOUND THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and the other one goes "LET'S GO BLOW IT UP THEN" and a third one comes in "BLOW UP THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and the leader trundles up to a little podium and announces "INITIATE BLOWING UP OF THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and then everyone waves every extremity they've got and shouts "YEAH BLOW UP THE THING BLOW UP BLOW UP BLOW UP BLOW UP" just shaking with excitement because killing things is the one thing they live for and they're just so excited every time they get to do it. Love those shooty bucket things :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Forktoss posted:

The scenes in the Dalek mothership were great too, because I just can't get enough of Daleks talking to each other. One goes "WE FOUND THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and the other one goes "LET'S GO BLOW IT UP THEN" and a third one comes in "BLOW UP THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and the leader trundles up to a little podium and announces "INITIATE BLOWING UP OF THE THING WE WANT TO BLOW UP" and then everyone waves every extremity they've got and shouts "YEAH BLOW UP THE THING BLOW UP BLOW UP BLOW UP BLOW UP" just shaking with excitement because killing things is the one thing they live for and they're just so excited every time they get to do it. Love those shooty bucket things :allears:

This was one of the things I loved about the introduction of the Dalek Parliament in Asylum. It basically just facilitates mass shouting of agreement. There's no debate, the honorable gentleman from Skaro just starts shouting about killing people and everybody starts agreeing with him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So getting a guy to swallow a tracker before he dies, that's not a foreshadowing or anything, is it :D

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was really hoping that the Doctor would bring up or even make a snide comment about the last good Dalek, Dalek Oswin.

This episode had the same issue as the last one to me; that the plot was absurd and it was badly directed and paced and they could've refined it to be much better, but it held together purely on fantastic character moments. That said, I should expect the Doctor to be able to handle a bit of moral complexity and a reasonable view of what makes a person good, but I guess he's in a bit of a fragile place right now.

I kinda feel like the best possible Dalek episode would be if you took this and Dalek and merged them together.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 31, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MikeJF posted:

I was really hoping that the Doctor would bring up or even make a snide comment about the last good Dalek, Dalek Oswin.

This episode had the same issue as the last one to me; that the plot was absurd and it was badly directed and paced and they could've refined it to be much better, but it held together purely on fantastic character moments. That said, I should expect the Doctor to be able to handle a bit of moral complexity and a reasonable view of what makes a person good, but I guess he's in a bit of a fragile place right now.

What was badly directed about it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plavski posted:

What was badly directed about it?

Well, perhaps directed as best as they could under the circumstances and under their constraints, but goddamn the set fakery and poor-rear end CGI was showing hard this week.

The interior of the Dalek and the feeling of moving through its space just wasn't there for me. Plus it looked too much like the corridors of a ship rather than the inside gaps of a machine/creature.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 31, 2014

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
The reveal of the inured dalek just reminded me how much I liked Christopher Eccleston.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fairly sure that was in the workprint too. Musta gotten cut in post post.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Apropos of nothing, a curse on The Fires of Vulcan for making me like Mel :argh:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This episode was not a total steaming mound of crap. Huge step up from last week.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's weird seeing Michael Smiley in such a straight role.

He's been in serious roles in several of the films Ben Wheatley (director of this episode) has made. Go watch Kill List.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Noxville posted:

This episode was not a total steaming mound of crap. Huge step up from last week.

He's been in serious roles in several of the films Ben Wheatley (director of this episode) has made. Go watch Kill List.

I like to imagine Smiley is playing the Master in A Field in England.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Noxville posted:

Not to mention the White Bear episode of Black Mirror. Amazing stuff.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

A Dalek fleet surrounds a lone rebel ship, and only the Doctor can help it now.

With the Doctor facing his greatest enemy, he needs Clara by his side. Confronted with a decision that could change the Daleks forever, he is forced to examine his conscience and ask himself whether he is truly a good man.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in Into the Dalek.

Cast
The Doctor (Peter Capaldi)
Clara (Jenna Coleman)
Zawe Ashton (Journey Blue)
Michael Smiley (Colonel Morgan Blue)
Samuel Anderson (Danny Pink)
Laura dos Santos (Gretchen)
Ben Crompton (Ross)
Barnaby Edwards (Dalek)
Nicholas Briggs (Voice of the Daleks)

Written by: Steven Moffat and Phil Ford
Directed by: Ben Wheatley

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1bZ-9Pfbk

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

Daleks.

When Patrick Troughton took over from William Hartnell, his first full-length story was the sadly lost to time The Power of the Daleks. Since then, every Doctor with the exception of Paul McGann (who does get his chance in Big Finish with Dark Eyes) has encountered the Daleks in dramatic fashion. The Third Doctor experiences some of the series' most complex time-travel shenanigans in The Day of the Daleks. “Do I have the right,” the Fourth Doctor asks in Genesis of the Daleks. Jubilee, one of the best audio Big Finish has produced, sees Six encounter the true evil of humanity via a Dalek in a story that directly inspired the Ninth Doctor story Dalek.

And, of course, let's not forget one Dorothy “Ace” McShane taking the Seventh Doctor's advice and aiming for the eyepiece in Remembrance of the Daleks...

Into the Dalek is just that; a journey into the very heart of a living Dalek to see what makes it tick. The story suffers from a pair opening and closing bookends suffering from crushing heavy handedness and a series of incredibly uninteresting supporting characters. But Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman are once again superb, with Capaldi defining the character of his Doctor in a way that is both anathemna and intriguing for modern viewers and Coleman, in her final season, finally working with material that makes her character interesting. And, of course, there is the ever threatening presence of the Doctor's most deadly foe.

Can there be such a thing as a “good” Dalek? After thousands of years and the deaths of billions of sentient beings at the hands of the genocidal race, the Doctor isn't convinced that a damaged Dalek, found floating in space by a ragtag group of resistance fighters, is capable of being anything in the moral ballpark of “good.” But he is willing to give it a chance, with the assistance of Clara. The pair, along with a trio of soldiers, are shrunk down and inserted into the Dalek's casing. Is this Dalek nothing more than a genetic anomaly, an abomination against its own kind? Or has something happened to fundamentally change the very nature and thought process of this Dalek?

The idea of a “good” Dalek is nothing new to the series, classic or revival. Where Into the Dalek succeeds is in its delivery of discovering just WHY this Dalek has turned against its very nature. The script for this story was penned by two people; Steven Moffat himself, and Phil Ford, whose previous contribution was the Tenth Doctor special The Waters of Mars. It's very easy to see which parts Ford worked on and which parts Moffat contributed. The concept of actually going inside a Dalek's armor casing and seeing its biology is wonderfully done in terms of both design and execution. With shrinking down the Doctor and Clara, Ford's script lets the production team cut loose, as the set design was some of the best in the revival so far; a mix of hard metal and squishy organic parts, complete with an immune system that's electronic vs. biological, specifically the trip through the Dalek's eyestalk, with its trippy, wavy look straight out of the 1960's.

The Dalek's robotic look is iconic, but viewers get to see just how much of the hatred the Daleks cultivate is organic and how much is forced upon them by electronics. The Doctor has referred to the Daleks time and again as the ultimate evil, but it's their cortex that enhances certain emotions and memories and suppressed others. “This is refined evil,” the Doctor proclaims. The question for most of the episode's run time is whether or not that inflexible evil can be changed. Long time fans of the show, and even those who are only a bit familiar with the damnable pepperpots, won't be surprised by the final answer, but the way the viewer gets there, along with just how the Doctor plays into the Dalek's final decision, is very well down. It adds to the question that seems to becoming the overarching plot point of the season; is the Doctor a good man?

Where Ford's script lets the viewer down is with how it treats the secondary characters. The soldiers of the Aristotle hospital ship are incredibly one-note, and that's being generous. The standard of “introducing secondary characters and giving them characteristics before killing them off” will always be the movie Aliens. Into the Dalek introduces every soldier as rough, unyielding, willing to follow orders at a moment's notice, and willing to threaten to kill the Doctor when things start to go wrong. Even the moment where the soldier Blue decides not to sacrifice them all to kill the Dalek from within is dull and predictable. When one of the soldier's puts their life on the line to make sure the mission succeeds, the viewer just shrugs and go “ok, ok, move along.” But that soldier does end up having tea with the mysterious Missy, so hopefully when we see them again we might be convinced to care a little more about them.

The Daleks themselves...it's very hard to make them scary anymore. One Dalek is MUCH scarier than a horde of them; see Dalek and Jubilee for concrete evidence of this. Ford keeps the horde of Daleks at their best; an unstoppable, screaming force that blows up everything and exterminates everyone, keeping the Dalek assault during the climax brief and brutal. The individual Dalek itself, “Rusty,” is voiced by none other than Nicholas Briggs, who has been the primary voice of the Daleks for both the revival series and Big Finish. Once again, his voice work is superb, maniacal superiority dripping off every scream and statement the Dalek makes.

And then...there's Danny Pink.

THIS is the portion of the episode that Moffat wrote. I can tell, because this is the BIGGEST FREAKIN' CASE of “Show Don't Tell” gone wrong that I have ever seen outside of that one Rush song. Literally, we're told in the course of 2 minutes that Pink is a retired soldier, that he's killed someone, that he feels bad enough about it to cry, and that he finds Clara incredibly attractive with the feeling mutual from her end. This is LITERALLY explained to the viewer without any attempt at subtext or subtlety. This plot point and its delivery/relation to the story at large is done so poorly, it's could have come from an episode of Hollyoaks. It's an incredible disservice to the actor, Samuel Anderson, who is on track to become the Doctor's new companion after Jenna Coleman leaves. It's a poor introduction that, sadly, will tinge his character until he gets some proper development.

Clara Oswald. The Impossible Girl. Or, as I call her now, “Clara Oswald, well-written companion.” In two episode, Jenna Coleman has taken Clara from “flirty, pixie girl love interest” to “grounder of the Doctor's morals.” She struck me so much in Into the Dalek as channeling old school Sarah Jane Smith in how she acts as the “go-between” between the Doctor and the soldiers as well as taking everything in stride.

quote:

Gretchen: Is he mad or is he right?

Clara: Hand on my heart. Some days he's both.

The Doctor does the heavy lifting, while the companion does the stuff that they never thought they could do but the Doctor knows they could do. That idea has been at the heart of every strong Doctor/companion relationship. Clara has gone from being a seasonal McGuffin to someone who can stand beside the Doctor and isn't afraid to call him out when he's not seeing the bigger picture due to his alien nature, and one can see that in the old-series style (non-romantic!) chemistry that exists now between the Doctor and Clara.

While I was firmly on the Peter Capaldi bandwagon thanks to the second half of Deep Breath, Into the Dalek sees me shoving the driver over and taking the reins. Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor is absolutely nothing like Ten or Eleven. His pragmatism when he realized one of the soldiers was doomed, and his quick thinking to take advantage of it, showed the new side of this particular Doctor. It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he knows when feelings need to be set aside. But we also see his sense of alien superiority when he chides Blue for threatening him after he rescues from certain death. Throughout the fantastic voyage through the Dalek, the Doctor keeps his hope alive that, maybe, there's something about this Dalek that will change not only their attitude towards other life forms, but his own perceptions about the Daleks. When he's proven wrong, the weariness of over a thousand years sets in for a brief moment until Clara literally slaps some sense into him.

One of Doctor Who's underlying themes has always been that one candle in the darkness is better than nothing. One spark of hope can ignite a fire of revolution. The Doctor holds onto this for as long as he can, but when one of the soldier's offers to sacrifice her life to ensure the Doctor gets that chance, you can see the moment of indecision on the Doctor's face. Three and Seven, and possibly Four, would have reluctantly agreed, while Two, Six, and Eleven would have probably fought against it. Twelve, though...Capaldi just SELLS the moment. He doesn't bargain, he doesn't yell, he just promises to do something good in her name. He dives right into the Dalek's mind, doing everything to convince the Dalek to maintain its good nature and embrace something beautiful...but the Dalek, in return, sees into the Doctor's mind. And sees the Doctor's undying hatred of the Daleks. Nine hears one of his eternal enemies tell him “You would make a good Dalek.” Twelve, after asking Clara if he's a good man, has a Dalek tell him, after seeing his rage, “You are not a good man. You are a good Dalek.” We're not being given the Doctor as a near-perfect messianic figures with only a few flaws that everyone loves. We're being give a Doctor who is wondering about his own existence. Now that the weight of the Time War is off his shoulders, it's time for the Doctor to have a mid-lives crisis, and Capaldi is the perfect actor to pull such a thing off.

Seeing the Daleks so early in the Doctor's run, Into the Dalek not only gives viewers another look at the iconic foes, but uses them to also give viewers a new look at the Doctor itself, as well as spotlighting Clara's growth into a strong companion. If it wasn't for the “blah” secondary characters and heavy handed delivery of foreshadowing, Into the Dalek could have been the best Dalek episode of the revival. Still, it's a very solid episode and bodes well for Capaldi's time as the Doctor.

Next up - With all of Nottingham at stake, the Doctor must decide who is real and who is fake. Can impossible heroes really exist?

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Robot of Sherwood.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
"I'm his carer."

"Yeah, she's my carer. She cares so I don't have to."

They are really all in with a Grumpy Doctor this time and I am loving it. The Doctor wanting to come across as this prickly curmudgeon (and, in some ways being substantially more ruthless than we've seen maybe ever? That thing with Ross and the tracker was *cold*) but ultimately still being the same idealist under it all rules.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

It's an incredible disservice to the actor, Samuel Anderson, who is on track to become the Doctor's new companion after Jenna Coleman leaves.

Seriously? They're gonna have a full-time, non-tin-dog, non-cuckolded husband male companion? Cos that would be the best decision since Capaldi's casting.

M for Mushroom
Jan 1, 2006

new york london paris munich
I can't see Michael Smiley as anything other than terrifying after watching Black Mirror :ohdear:

I really enjoyed this episode though - and I wasn't expecting to after last week's shitheap. Capaldi is turning out to be as amazing as I was hoping for. There were several little callbacks and references in this episode that were appropriately subtle and didn't smack you round the face, which is always nice to see. I felt it tried to cram too much into the time though; it almost seemed like they remembered at the last minute that it wasn't going to be as long as last week's - which is actually a shame, Deep Breath could have done with more trimming whereas this felt like it could have done with more time. But mostly I thought it was a great episode, and certainly the best Dalek episode since Dalek.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SiKboy posted:

Of course, this is a sci-fi show, so I'm perfectly happy to accept that "Yeah, we fixed the radiation off screen with anti-radiation pills", but if we want to apply some actual science....

Shrink rays make absolutely no sense whatsoever so I think this discussion will come down to how we're imagining the shrink ray to work rather than actually talking about the medical physics of the situation (which is not a point of contention as you posted a load of correct stuff and I studied this course in my Masters which includes all of that jazz)

But v good effort post, thumbs up :snoop:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I think Tyres' soldiers went to the Imperial Stormtrooper school of shooting at things.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I think Tyres' soldiers went to the Imperial Stormtrooper school of shooting at things.

Either this is a very different demographic or Michael Smiley has been doing enough work to get legit recognition, "the guy who plays Tyres in Spaced" was how he was known amongst my friends for about a decade.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

Is the answer "leading question"?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Plavski posted:

Seriously? They're gonna have a full-time, non-tin-dog, non-cuckolded husband male companion? Cos that would be the best decision since Capaldi's casting.

That is the rumor, that he's going to be a repeat character on his way to becoming a companion after Christmas. Nothing confirmed, but I'm a blogger, I'm allowed to speculate on unsubstantiated rumors!

And...so, you liked The Fires of Vulcan too, huh? I was blown away by how great Bonnie Langford was when given a good script and asked not to scream all the time!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
After seeing the DELIBERATE shot of a Dalek with a hole in it's dome, with a single tear of blue fluid running down it's casing, I'm worried about what will happen to Danny later on. :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is the answer "leading question"?

No? That's not what a leading question is.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

That is the rumor, that he's going to be a repeat character on his way to becoming a companion after Christmas. Nothing confirmed, but I'm a blogger, I'm allowed to speculate on unsubstantiated rumors!

And...so, you liked The Fires of Vulcan too, huh? I was blown away by how great Bonnie Langford was when given a good script and asked not to scream all the time!

Yeah, Fires was really nice. Now I want to hear more Langford... which is a terrible state of affairs. I'm listening to The Holy Terror now, which has Colin hanging out with a talking penguin. Gotta love Big Finish.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Interesting. I watched the work print and absolutely hated this episode. It had tons of stuff I thought was dumb (the miniaturization, more stuff about 'can Daleks be good', the way the Dalek had convenient corridor type stuff for them to run around, the idea of 'they're not necessarily evil and hatred personified, just the good memories are suppressed'). But then I rewatched it when it aired and I very much enjoyed it. I guess having already rolled my eyes at the bits I thought were dumb, I was then able to just enjoy Capaldi's performance and the rest.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PriorMarcus posted:

I would, actually. :colbert:

That could be fodder for the best episode ever or the worst (or anything in between), depending entirely on what they do with it.

CobiWann posted:

I think it's pretty obvious from the way it's shot, to be honest. You don't spend that much time and energy on a side character- that isn't even relevant to the plot of the episode- unless they've got long term significance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Once upon a time it was common for the Doctor to have a young male companion who could be a bit of an action man while he concentrated on the clever dialogue and being mysterious, and I'm more than happy if we're moving back in that direction now we have an older Doctor again. I bet they squeeze a pretty girl into the story as well though.

• Locked thread