Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, that is not an actual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
O, Ok. It seemed like their space stuff was all tightly planned so thought it might be something.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Can anyone think of when Black Bolt's voice was first used as a dramatic device? Like as a fight-ending whisper/shout that signifies that poo poo just got real?

(The first time I can think of is in What If v2 #4 where he takes down a Venom'd Thor but there's gotta be earlier and in continuity before that..)

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Why is Gamora gray in Annihilation and then suddenly green in Annihilation Conquest?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All green Marvel dudes were gray first.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

This is the Best Post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiriganiaq posted:

Why is Gamora gray in Annihilation and then suddenly green in Annihilation Conquest?

She was originally green, blame the colorist on Annihilation I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Few remember Gamora's run as a Vegas bouncer.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Has Loki ever wielded Thor's hammer?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

I read a comic last night where he picked up the walking stick and shoved it in Don Blake's face if that counts, but I think any times Loki has been shown holding mjolnir it's been a trick or a fake of some kind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Thor being Lady Loki would be a very weird way to go.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cassa posted:

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #19.

Odin gives it to Loki for a day because "haha gently caress you Thor, go show me that you're awesome."

That's as much explanation as you get in the whole issue and then Lok and Thor are off on adventures, where Loki uses it to smash stuff and fly and all that normal Mjolnir jazz.

Then at the end he just can't use it anymore because, surprise, Thor is awesome.

But it seems pretty clear that Loki is only ever holding it because of some Odinmagic, he is never worthy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While we're on this, I thought it would be a fun storyline if Loki reversed the enchantment on the hammer and made it so that anyone who was not worthy could wield the hammer. Cue Thor desperately trying to deal with a situation where everybody is carrying around his hammer and causing havoc. If you can't come up with half a dozen cool things to do with that concept then you must not be a comics fan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Working my way through TMNT and I come across this scene:

That's Frank Miller, right? I don't recognize the other dude. He's calling "Corbin" on the next page. Is he anybody?

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Working my way through TMNT and I come across this scene:

That's Frank Miller, right? I don't recognize the other dude. He's calling "Corbin" on the next page. Is he anybody?

"Frank Corbin and Richard Miller" are the two detectives. Swapping the first names, Frank Miller, Richard Corbin... Richard Corben? I doubt it, since the guy looks nothing like him. Honestly I have no clue.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Random Stranger posted:

While we're on this, I thought it would be a fun storyline if Loki reversed the enchantment on the hammer and made it so that anyone who was not worthy could wield the hammer. Cue Thor desperately trying to deal with a situation where everybody is carrying around his hammer and causing havoc. If you can't come up with half a dozen cool things to do with that concept then you must not be a comics fan.

Let's be real, it would immediately go to Deadpool.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I call fake Odin, because the eyepatch is on the wrong eye. :colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

prefect posted:

I call fake Odin, because the eyepatch is on the wrong eye. :colbert:

That panel is actually from Sifs Snapchat, it mirrors the picture.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SiKboy posted:

That panel is actually from Sifs Snapchat, it mirrors the picture.

This is a good post, you guys.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What led Matt Murdock to become a defense attorney? I read The Man Without Fear yesterday and it talks about what drove him to study law -- his old man hitting him and the crisis of faith he had from it. And while I can see a line of thought that says "my old man was wrong and thus the government can be, too, so it's important to have defense attorneys," it seems flimsy compared to his belief that we need laws to protect us being a prosecutor's kind of mindset.

Add to it the split in understanding that leads one to become a defense attorney vs. a superhero. I feel like if you put on a mask and unaccountably beat up bad guys at night, your relationship with the justice system is one that fundamentally has faith in its correctness. If anything your chief complaint might be that it doesn't do enough to get the bad guys. That kind of understanding, to me, is so counter to what motivates a defense attorney. Does anything explore that split sense of purpose?

How often is DD depicted as other kinds of lawyers? I know he's a high profile civil litigator in the beginning of the Bendis run, and while I wouldn't call it canon, Superior Foes seems to place him as a prosecutor briefly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What led Matt Murdock to become a defense attorney? I read The Man Without Fear yesterday and it talks about what drove him to study law -- his old man hitting him and the crisis of faith he had from it. And while I can see a line of thought that says "my old man was wrong and thus the government can be, too, so it's important to have defense attorneys," it seems flimsy compared to his belief that we need laws to protect us being a prosecutor's kind of mindset.

Perhaps one way of looking at it might be to acknowledge that, in most criminal cases, there is a clear imbalance of power between the state and defendant. Many legal scholars believe that the proper role of the defence counsel is to redress said imbalance by giving the less powerful party an expert advocate. I guess that's a sort of vaguely legal realist view of the matter.

quote:

Add to it the split in understanding that leads one to become a defense attorney vs. a superhero. I feel like if you put on a mask and unaccountably beat up bad guys at night, your relationship with the justice system is one that fundamentally has faith in its correctness. If anything your chief complaint might be that it doesn't do enough to get the bad guys. That kind of understanding, to me, is so counter to what motivates a defense attorney. Does anything explore that split sense of purpose?

I think it's kinda sorta teased out a bit in a Spider-Man story by Peter David called "The Death of Jean DeWolff", where Daredevil's commitment to the law is contrasted by Spider-Man's vigilantism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

What issue of Earth 2 does the guy who writes Injustice, who's name I completely forget start writing it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How often is DD depicted as other kinds of lawyers? I know he's a high profile civil litigator in the beginning of the Bendis run, and while I wouldn't call it canon, Superior Foes seems to place him as a prosecutor briefly.

He's done literally everything possible in the legal system because bad writers tend to drop them all into one big bucket marked "lawyer". There's rarely consistency even in a run from a single writer, let alone between writers.

I've been bothered by just how unethical Matt Murdock is as an attorney. If you can name a portion of the code of conduct for attorneys, he's violated it (except maybe overbilling his hours, but then I wouldn't be shocked if he did that as well). And not just in the 60's; modern books regularly present him as a terrible lawyer (though never acknowledge that). I know comics have him disbarred on several occasions but this is usually an evil plot and he's reinstated as soon as the writer decides he wants Murdock to set up yet another law office.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

He's done literally everything possible in the legal system because bad writers tend to drop them all into one big bucket marked "lawyer". There's rarely consistency even in a run from a single writer, let alone between writers.

That's the same way it is with scientists and non-medical doctors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

They should have him retire from practice and become an academic lawyer who authors treatises discussing the impact of costumed superheroes upon contemporary jurisprudence. :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

They should have him retire from practice and become an academic lawyer who authors treatises discussing the impact of costumed superheroes upon contemporary jurisprudence. :v:
That's She-Hulk's gig.

Or it was, when her book was worth reading :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

That's the same way it is with scientists and non-medical doctors.

So you're saying entomologists don't work on particle physics or artificial intelligence?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What issue of Earth 2 does the guy who writes Injustice, who's name I completely forget start writing it?

Issue 17. And it's Tom Taylor.

Also apparently he was the last writer on The Authority before The New 52. :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

when her book was worth reading :(

:crossarms: She-Hulk is fantastic at the moment.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Random Stranger posted:

So you're saying entomologists don't work on particle physics or artificial intelligence?

Almost this exact joke is made in an issue of Byrne's She-Hulk. I forget the issue number, but it's one of the Spragg issues from after he comes back to the book. I think it's She-Hulk's friend Weezy, but she talks about the nebulous nature of comic book scientists and gives Pym being an entomologist who built robots as an example.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

I've been bothered by just how unethical Matt Murdock is as an attorney. If you can name a portion of the code of conduct for attorneys, he's violated it (except maybe overbilling his hours, but then I wouldn't be shocked if he did that as well). And not just in the 60's; modern books regularly present him as a terrible lawyer (though never acknowledge that). I know comics have him disbarred on several occasions but this is usually an evil plot and he's reinstated as soon as the writer decides he wants Murdock to set up yet another law office.

When have they shown hi to be a terrible lawyer? They usually show him to be a great lawyer and sought out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

When have they shown hi to be a terrible lawyer? They usually show him to be a great lawyer and sought out.

He is not talking about his legal knowledge, but being a vigilante will mean he will have broken a lot of the rules for lawyers. Especially considering how much overlap the two tend to have.

Matt Murdock is a terrible, terrible lawyer and really a worse human being.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
So I just finished the Cosmic stuff up to Thanos Imperative, Cammi is briefly mentioned in GotG, in regards to where Drax is taking these unauthorized trips to find her, is this just a dropped plot thread? Where did she go to?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sturm posted:

So I just finished the Cosmic stuff up to Thanos Imperative, Cammi is briefly mentioned in GotG, in regards to where Drax is taking these unauthorized trips to find her, is this just a dropped plot thread? Where did she go to?
Vanished into the ether where all dropped plot threads go, I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sturm posted:

So I just finished the Cosmic stuff up to Thanos Imperative, Cammi is briefly mentioned in GotG about where Drax is taking these unauthorized trips to find her, is this just a dropped plot thread? Where did she go to?

You do not want to know. She ended up in a Hopeless state.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

bobkatt013 posted:

You do not want to know. She ended up in a Hopeless state.

That's really the same Cammi in Avengers Arena?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sturm posted:

It is suppose to be, but lovely writer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sturm posted:

What? Ah, Christ. Forgotten would have been better.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

What happened? All I know about Arena is that only two or three people died for realsies and that the follow-up series gave Chase a douchy haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I ran through a bunch of issues looking for a specific example, but I hit a run where Murdock didn't do much as an attorney. Basically, any time he's in court or working on a case, he's almost always shown to be doing something that he should be disbarred for. Witness intimidation, conflicts of interest, and just downright dishonesty are common for him.

This unethical behavior is very common in fictional lawyers because writers like to have good guys and bad guys, not two guys doing their jobs. So they'll be "heroic" and do things that violate the basic trust of their clients or break the law to help them.