Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just watched all of Haven on netflix because Emily Rose is amazing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

No More Heroes posted:

I just watched all of Haven on netflix because Emily Rose is amazing :v:

Is Haven like a non-comedy version of Eureka or something? My mom mentioned she liked it, too, but didn't really describe it to me very well.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Jingleheimer posted:

I just watched the first season of Hemlock Grove. I didn't really care for it, I thought the plot was kind of all over the place at times and it seemed like they just didn't want to expand on the shows mythology very much. Is the second season any better or should I just move onto something else? I'm looking for something to scratch that Supernatural itch and Hemlock Grove isn't really doing it for me.

If you don't like the first, you probably won't like the second, it's more of the same with a lot more gory poo poo. I thought it was pretty good though. Just watched the first season of Bojack Horseman. Thought it was brilliant, just got better and better. Not really much of a comedy though and it's getting mixed reviews.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Binged through season 3 of (Avatar:?) Legend of Korra the past few days. Wow, I've never seen a show make such a positive turnaround three seasons in before.

The first two seasons had issues stemming from a focus on groan-worthy romances, uninteresting villains and by making characters you wanted to like into annoying and just awful people. The third season moves away from all of that and gets back to the sense of fun, action and adventure. The romances are pushed to the sidelines and are cute little dialogue exchanges rather than central, eye-rolling melodrama. The villains are interesting, humanised and slightly morally ambiguous. And the characters all get to be fun, funny and totally badass.

The action scenes are inventive, exciting and beautifully animated. And it takes some surprisingly dark turns along the way, but I suppose this is the only children's cartoon that had its FIRST season end with a murder-suicide.

At the end of the day, it's a kids show, so its twists are predictable and they get away with a few rear end-pulls. But it's a fun ride, and I hope no one is a snob about it - because it's still written by people with a better understanding of character, story and moral ambiguity than the writers of The Walking Dead TV show.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
After watching Guardians of the Galaxy, my wife turned from not giving a poo poo about Marvel Universe stuff to being all over it, so we watched all of Agents of SHIELD through. It was my second time, and I think I enjoyed it more, although it really seems like nothing gets going until the big event caused by the events in Captain America: Winter Soldier. Still, as a Marvel fan for life, it was enjoyable.

We then sped our way through Orphan Black, which I had watched in the background while doing other stuff but she hadn't seen before. It's honestly a technical marvel, there's a lot of times that I totally forget the same person is playing multiple characters. The actress does such a good job portraying the different people, it's really fun. Goofy scifi plotline doesn't hurt either.

My sister was over for awhile, so she binged on Hemlock Grove. I watched a bunch of episodes with her (my second time on those), and boy, I never want to see that show again. It's decent for a one watch type thing, but it really doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

She also watched the first season of Hanniabl, and man, that show is great, but NOT meant to be watched in binge mode. Watching episodes one after another doesn't let you escape from any of the dreariness of the show, and it made it sort of unfun for me.

Finally, the wife and I watched three episodes of Arrow last night, and enjoyed it despite of (or maybe even because of) the general cheesiness. I have no history with the comics, but so far the show is holding our attention. Good to see Ruby from Supernatural putting in work as well.

Edit: can someone fill me on the Marvel animated series? I see a bunch of hilarious screencaps running around of Deadpool and Spiderman being goofy, and maybe some Avengers stuff as well? Any recommendations would be great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just starting the fourth season of Stargate: Atlantis.

I'm not really a fan of episodes in science-fiction series where the base or the starship or whatever gets infected by an alien disease. It's weird, because they're basically "the heroes have to solve a puzzle" stories, which I normally like.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So Netflix put up the entire series so far of Criminal Minds. Is it an enjoyable show?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So Netflix put up the entire series so far of Criminal Minds. Is it an enjoyable show?

It's not what I would call a deep show but it's very fun, and it breaks the trope of "detective has a lovely family life" for at least two of the main characters.

It's also fairly unique in that they've only had two (?) main cast replacements in 10 years so if you like those characters, you'll probably still like them 6 years later.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

yea, its a really good show, give a few eps a try, if you like them, will pretty much like the rest.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

klf11 posted:

yea, its a really good show, give a few eps a try, if you like them, will pretty much like the rest.
Yup, watched the first 3 episodes and am hooked. Mandy Patinkin is fantastic in it.

Netflix is about to give us a LOT more shows to binge on

TV Shows:
“Californication,” Seasons 1-7, Sept. 1
“Chasing UFOs,” Season 1, Sept. 1
“Doomsday Preppers,” Seasons 1-3, Sept. 1
“Hinterland,” Season 1, Sept. 1
“Unsealed: Alien Files,” Season 1, Sept. 1
“Zero Hour,” Seasons 1-3, Sept. 1
“The League,” Season 5, Sept. 2
“Trailer Park Boys,” Season 8, Sept. 5
“The Blacklist,” Season 1, Sept. 7
“Crash & Bernstein,” Season 2, Sept. 10
“About a Boy,” Season 1, Sept. 14
“Arrow,” Season 2, Sept. 14
“Bones,” Season 9, Sept. 16
“New Girl,” Season 3, Sept. 16
“The Fosters,” Season 2, Sept. 17
“Revolution,” Season 2, Sept. Sept. 22
“How I Met Your Mother,” Season 9, Sept. 26
“Parks and Recreation,” Season 6, Sept. 26
“Comic Book Men,” Season 3, Sept. 28
“The Walking Dead,” Season 4, Sept. 28

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/31/netflix-september-2014_n_5744388.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Coming up on halfway through S2 of Carnivale. I am absolutely loving this show. The mystical elements ensuring you never know for sure what is real and good storytelling ensuring you never know for sure what will happen next makes for some really intriguing viewing. Often confusing but always compelling.

S02E05 spoiler
Ben meeting the mask guy:
He seems a lot nicer than Ben's Cousins...
...Oh...
OH
...Oh?
Huh.
...so... was that actually a nightmare or a vision or did it actually happen and now it's the night after?...
...we're never going to know for sure are we?

None of the characters grabbed me at first but several are really growing on me now. Stick with it if you're unsure at first.
Vague general character spoilers
Ben seemed kind of angsty and annoying at first but I've come to think he just has really good instincts and is basically a decent guy. Most people seem to underestimate him but he doesn't give a gently caress, give anything away, or try to prove anything to anyone, he just gets the gently caress on with doing what he has to do.

Also Samson is a salty dog and the loving man.

Haven't even finished it yet and already wish it had a longer run. I think it was always intended to leave a lot of things ambiguous, and whether or not the story gets satisfactorily concluded (don't tell me), I just wish there was more than another half season of this fantastic show. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just about finished with Stargate: Atlantis. It's too bad the movie fell through. I feel like they had a lot more stories to tell with the setting and the characters.

Probably won't bother with SGU at this juncture. I have heard mixed things about it. Instead, I am going to watch a DVD set which my dad has had since 2003 but I've never watched myself: the Hornblower TV movies.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Yup, watched the first 3 episodes and am hooked. Mandy Patinkin is fantastic in it.

He eventually left the show because it was too violent and rapey for him, unfortunately.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

showbiz_liz posted:

He eventually left the show because it was too violent and rapey for him, unfortunately.

Was that really what he said, and then went on to star in Homeland a few years later? :laffo:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
He also thought the show started to glamorize serial killers too much. Also, the whole cast started to dislike/hate him before he left.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Digital Jedi posted:

Also, the whole cast started to dislike/hate him before he left.

He seems like such a chill dude, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

He seems like such a chill dude, though.

Whenever actors start having philosophical qualms with the fictional work they are a part of, I have to assume it's actually a money thing and they were looking to save face.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Whenever actors start having philosophical qualms with the fictional work they are a part of, I have to assume it's actually a money thing and they were looking to save face.

Nah, remember when Jim Carey started taking the poo poo out of Kickass 2? Apparently old people think too hard about violence.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
just got all caught up on the Strain and I've enjoyed it enough. The Following is up next, hopefully start that tonight.

Kitchen Nightmare, both US and UK, will be started soon. So will Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown, Banshee season 2. Lastly the Fall

Yeah....going to be busy with TV for a while. Six Feet Under is in the cards as I've owned the seasons for years and never watched it all :/

edit: poo poo I need to watch the Shield too. And Supernatural as everyone seems to love it and my wife already binges through it enough

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 4, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

just got all caught up on the Strain and I've enjoyed it enough. The Following is up next, hopefully start that tonight.

Kitchen Nightmare, both US and UK, will be started soon. So will Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown, Banshee season 2. Lastly the Fall

Yeah....going to be busy with TV for a while. Six Feet Under is in the cards as I've owned the seasons for years and never watched it all :/

edit: poo poo I need to watch the Shield too. And Supernatural as everyone seems to love it and my wife already binges through it enough

You have a lot of really good shows listed in your post and one really awful one. It's The Following.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Supernatural is the best. Well. The best if you like dumb, hot brothers that are obsessed with each other to the point where you laugh uneasily at the TV, unsure if what you're watching is really some sort of slow-build, semi-incestous serial killer trainwreck fanfic in disguise as a kindof serious show about monster hunters. But really. Going on ten years now and I'm not sure if I'd laugh or punch the air if the mains stopped crying about family and just loving finally made out on screen. The Winchesters, they doth protest too little, if you catch my drift.

Recently I've started to rewatch Fringe. The first time around I barely made it through half the first season because I hated Olivia but now I actually sort of enjoy her character.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can't believe that Supernatural is still going. I stopped watching at the end of Season 5 (6? I can't remember) because for some reason I was convinced the show was ending entirely then.

I'll know what to do if I ever find myself with abundance of free time...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

I can't believe that Supernatural is still going. I stopped watching at the end of Season 5 (6? I can't remember) because for some reason I was convinced the show was ending entirely then.

I think it's one of those series where the creators/writers had a five-year plan, but then it kept on getting renewed.

I would like to try it, but I would honestly prefer to wait until it's done and that doesn't seem to be on the horizon. I mean, I think I've read one interview with the showrunner where he says something like, "We've talked about where we get to 19 seasons" or something ridiculous like that. Perhaps they're just trying to beat Smallville and Stargate SG-1? :v:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The best part of Supernatural is the hosed up family stuff that goes on behind all the cray cray angel/demon bullshit. Basically Dean has spent nine years turning exactly into the worst version of his father and Sam has gone from free and out of the hunting business to just as trapped and screwed as he was as a kid. Dean's an abusive rear end in a top hat, Sam is an enabling freak and everything just goes from worse to worse.

God, the Winchesters are so hosed up. I love this show. Even in the pilot episode they were hosed up beyond repair.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
I'm on season 8 of my supernatural binge. First 6 seasons were surprisingly great, season 7 there's a drop in quality for sure. Season 8 I guess is a bit better but there's some stinkers. And these aren't even 13 episode seasons. I assumed it was for teenage girls but it's a pretty "manly" show.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I just started watching The Quest on ABC. It's dumb, it's hokey, but goddamn if that poo poo isn't entertaining.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Supernatural is a really fun show that winks at the audience often without becoming too overbearing and has lots of hot chicks as guest stars.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Supernatural has a scene in which the Winchester brothers find slash fiction of themselves online and are horrified by it. It's a good show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Astrofig posted:

I just started watching The Quest on ABC. It's dumb, it's hokey, but goddamn if that poo poo isn't entertaining.

loving Christian, worthless as all hell. But drat if I don't love that show.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Coffee And Pie posted:

Supernatural has a scene in which the Winchester brothers find slash fiction of themselves online and are horrified by it. It's a good show.

Supernatural has an entire episode of them going to a Supernatural fan convention. It's a good show.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

EC posted:

Supernatural has an entire episode of them going to a Supernatural fan convention. It's a good show.

Plus the episode where they visit the set of the TV show Supernatural, and have to pretend to be actors Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki.

Also, in Jared Padalecki's house there's this:

The show is weirdly at its best when it's doing self-effacing meta stuff that on most shows would come out terrible.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just watched Downton Abbey to the end of Season 3

gently caress you Downton Abbey

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oldpainless posted:

Supernatural is a really fun show that winks at the audience often without becoming too overbearing and has lots of hot chicks as guest stars.

I tend to put Supernatural into the same category as shows like The X-files or Stargate. It takes itself kind of seriously, maybe too seriously a lot of the time, but it's also pretty self-aware and has a lot of fun episodes. The fact that it's still watchable at all ten seasons in is honestly pretty impressive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've recently started watching Highlander: The Series. It's endearing mid-nineties camp for the most part. I was only able to get the German DVDs, which I think have a lot of episodes out of order, but as far as I'm aware it isn't especially serialised, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

I've recently started watching Highlander: The Series. It's endearing mid-nineties camp for the most part. I was only able to get the German DVDs, which I think have a lot of episodes out of order, but as far as I'm aware it isn't especially serialised, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

I used to love the Highlander TV show on USA. Man. You gotta watch Sorbo's Hercules and Lawless' Xena and then Quantum Leap for all your 90s camp needs, as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
For those of us Better Off Ted fans, season two will be released on DVD later this year. It was only 26 episodes in total, but it was damned well worth every minute.

So if you need an offbeat comedy to binge on, there you go.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Metal Loaf posted:

This is perhaps my favorite show. I've contemplated getting a Watcher tattoo. Then I think better of it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

For those of us Better Off Ted fans, season two will be released on DVD later this year. It was only 26 episodes in total, but it was damned well worth every minute.

So if you need an offbeat comedy to binge on, there you go.

I still miss this show.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is Six Feet Under worth watching? I've liked the Wire, True Detective, some of Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad.

Also, does House of Cards start to get better? I really was liking it until it seems like they took a complete turn in the 8th episode of season 1 where is seems like Frank is gay all of a sudden from some completely off the wall things that happened with a friend in college. It seems like it went back to normal at the end of the episode, but I haven't had time to watch it again.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 7, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a very good show. Maybe season 3 was a little iffy but I think the show has the best finale of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Is Six Feet Under worth watching? I've liked the Wire, True Detective, some of Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad.

Also, does House of Cards start to get better? I really was liking it until it seems like they took a complete turn in the 8th episode of season 1 where is seems like Frank is gay all of a sudden from some completely off the wall things that happened with a friend in college. It seems like it went back to normal at the end of the episode, but I haven't had time to watch it again.

If you liked it until then you'll keep on liking it.

That wasn't a complete turn, either, it fits the character, but it's not as extreme as you may think. It's just another aspect to the guy.