Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The Classic Interpol sound is great, terrible lyrics excluded. Turn on the bright lights owns in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

uggy posted:

The Classic Interpol sound is great, terrible lyrics excluded. Turn on the bright lights owns in every way.

You shut your mouth, Roland was awesome and a goon even made a thread with the lyrics of that song in picture form.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

FactsAreUseless posted:

So Deep Time have apparently dropped off the face of the earth, which is a shame, because they were seriously good. I was hoping they'd release another album and maybe get more attention, but I guess I can resign myself to being the guy in 20 years talking about how good this obscure indie band were.

This is how I feel about Land of Talk.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I think Our Love to Admire is a solid album that has a lot of good tracks on it. It seems like most people seem to forget about it for whatever reason.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Has anyone seen St Vincent's tour for the new album yet? I love the new album, but debating driving 3.5 hours to Columbus to see this tour. It would fall between between driving to Cincinnati (1.5 hours) for Chvrches on Monday and Asheville, NC (6 hours) on Friday.

Even as much as a road warrior I am it just needs to be worth it. Note I saw her with David Byrne for Love This Giant and had a great time.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ricecult posted:

Not sure if it's kosher for this thread, but I didn't see any rules against it and I think it fits the style of stuff that's been being posted.

My project, Rice Cultivation Society, I've posted about a bunch of times in the Musicians Lounge. We just released a new song today called "Cellphone," you can hear it here. It's a little different from what we usually do, we've gone in the direction of a more full band sound, but I think it fits our catalog so far.

This is dope and chill as all hell.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

-Atom- posted:

I think Our Love to Admire is a solid album that has a lot of good tracks on it. It seems like most people seem to forget about it for whatever reason.

see I've always thought OLtA was their weakest effort. it has a few nice tracks (namely Pioneer to the Falls, Rest My Chemistry and Wrecking Ball) but the rest of it falls completely flat to me. sounds like a really bland indie arena rock release for the time. and I think the self-titled album gets too much hate. yeah it's all very mid-tempo and somber but I like the consistently dark tone. it's a really good winter record.

but I agree with this new album being pretty boring. the first two songs are enjoyable but then it all just blends together with no real highlights.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

-Atom- posted:

The lyrics on the first two albums were endearingly bad but on OLtA they became downright cringeworthy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

This is how I feel about Land of Talk.
Tell you what, I'll listen to Land of Talk if you listen to Deep Time. We'll be like those loser book nerds at the end of Fahrenheit 451 who are all like "hey do you remember books?"

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

Has anyone seen St Vincent's tour for the new album yet? I love the new album, but debating driving 3.5 hours to Columbus to see this tour. It would fall between between driving to Cincinnati (1.5 hours) for Chvrches on Monday and Asheville, NC (6 hours) on Friday.

Even as much as a road warrior I am it just needs to be worth it. Note I saw her with David Byrne for Love This Giant and had a great time.

I've seen her twice this year and both were great. She was better the second time, as she appears to have loosened up a bit on stage as she got more comfortable with the songs

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I think this question has come up a few times and I always respond with underwhelming. I love the new album, but I didn't think she lived up to all the hype live. I saw her back in April, so maybe things have changed, but I did not find her to be an amazing live act that others put her up to be.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

The lyrics on the first two albums were endearingly bad but on OLtA they became downright cringeworthy.

They're all bad, dude. Lets not sugar coat it. They only work in the context of an interpol song and attempting to extract any meaning is a useless exercise. That being said, interpol is totally the ~dad rock music for our gen~. I'll see them whenever I can.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Ungratek posted:

I've seen her twice this year and both were great. She was better the second time, as she appears to have loosened up a bit on stage as she got more comfortable with the songs

Khorne Flakes posted:

I think this question has come up a few times and I always respond with underwhelming. I love the new album, but I didn't think she lived up to all the hype live. I saw her back in April, so maybe things have changed, but I did not find her to be an amazing live act that others put her up to be.

Hmm I'm a big fan so I'm leaning on going. Also she's joining the Black Keys for their world tour (lol black keys) and I don't know when she'll be touring solo again. :|

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Hmm I'm a big fan so I'm leaning on going. Also she's joining the Black Keys for their world tour (lol black keys) and I don't know when she'll be touring solo again. :|

St. Vincent's live show this tour is very regimented; there's choreography involved and the setlist doesn't seem to vary much from show to show. I'm pretty sure the random banter is always the same ("Your favorite word is 'orgiastic'"), too. The music itself is, in my opinion, pretty great, though. Whether it's worth a 3.5 hour drive is up to you.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to the hype I expected. If you don't mind driving and fear you won't be able to see her again, do it.

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
My band, Bike Thief, just released our first full-length record this morning. It's called Stuck In A Dream, and it's available as a pay-what-you'd-like download right now on our bandcamp page. There are all sorts of elements to the sonic stew we've got going on in this record (a little folk, a little psych, a little chamber, a little avant-garde, etc.), but the foundation is definitely indie rock. Lots of grungy guitars (that's my job!), alt-y vocals and MYSTERY LYRICS.

Look, could it possibly be bad with a cover like this?

No. No, I think not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tell you what, I'll listen to Land of Talk if you listen to Deep Time. We'll be like those loser book nerds at the end of Fahrenheit 451 who are all like "hey do you remember books?"

Actually because of this I started listening to Land of Talk and I absolutely adore Some are Lakes. Haven't checked out Deep Time yet. I have been kind of on a "indie rock bands with lady vocalists" kick lately and this hits the spot.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

incoherent posted:

They're all bad, dude. Lets not sugar coat it. They only work in the context of an interpol song and attempting to extract any meaning is a useless exercise. That being said, interpol is totally the ~dad rock music for our gen~. I'll see them whenever I can.

Seeing them twice next week!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So Future Islands were as good as advertised, but their current tour opener, Operators, are pretty tight as well. It's Dan Boeckner's new project. They have an EP out now, but this sort of stuff works better live IMO.

I can't find any of their stuff on YouTube, so here's a good interview w/ Dan from CoS:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/08/dan-boeckner-you-better-start-again/

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The new Summer Camp album is pretty cool. It's got some neat instrumental ambient tracks as well as their trademark chipper vocal songs with bleak subject matter. Nice mix for some reason.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Pinback is doing a 25-stop tour to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Summer in Abbadon; they're playing the album front to back.

But:

Pinback posted:

Hey, Y’all!

Excited about the Summer In Abbadon tour in a couple days!

If you’ve seen us before, you know that we usually play pretty long sets and as SIA is only 10 songs long, we weren’t sure what else to play, so we came up with The Paper Plane Idea.

At the merch table at every show there will be felt pens and recycled paper on which you can write down whatever song you want us to play, fold it into a paper airplane, and throw it at us during any part of the set.

After we finish with SIA, we will pick from them randomly and play whatever they say (provided, of course, they it is one of the 43 or so songs we feel confident in playing).

We encourage people to bring them from home, use origami, or just be crafty in general!

See you in a few!

That's kinda cool.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sorry to hog the thread, but new TV on the Radio album has a release date: November 18

And a single: "Happy Idiot"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Sorry to hog the thread, but new TV on the Radio album has a release date: November 18

And a single: "Happy Idiot"

This is really good.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schpyder posted:

This is dope and chill as all hell.

No kidding. Thanks to ricecult for producing/posting and you for pointing out the great sound here. I'm chilling out to the entire Sky Burial album now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Death From Above 1979's new album is streaming through iTunes.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

No kidding. Thanks to ricecult for producing/posting and you for pointing out the great sound here. I'm chilling out to the entire Sky Burial album now.

Thanks for checking it out guys! We're working on a new full length at the moment, it won't be done for at least a few months but when it is I'll be sure to post it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
If you have a chance, see How to Dress Well live.

An awesome live show. The encore was worth the price of admission alone.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Friday! Can't wait.

Khorne Flakes posted:

It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to the hype I expected. If you don't mind driving and fear you won't be able to see her again, do it.

Decided why the gently caress not. I'm afraid of not seeing her at smaller shows again. Although she's probably too weird for a lot of people. I spent $120 for 6 six shows for September.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 4, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I was going to go see him in a church, but it got moved (I've seen like 3 days worth of shows at the venue he was moved to and I got a bit of fatigue) AND missed him at FYF.

I always try to upsell Rhye if you're like HTDW (not a 1:1 style, but slow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sng_CdAAw8M

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I am stuck between seeing white lung and how to dress well next week, but I think I'll see how to dress well because I like him more. It's also good to hear that he's good live

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
http://www.damienrice.com/ was updated with a new picture...

Hope this means what I think it means.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

:c00lbert:

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Belle and Sebastian frontman Stuart Murdoch's long-percolating film project God Help the Girl has somehow turned into a real movie that you can watch today if you're in one of the right cities or willing to deal with video on demand. It's an indie pop musical, and the trailer makes it look extremely twee (and thus very much of interest to me). Website here.

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I have been enjoying the soundtrack album (not to be confused with the 2009 concept album with a lot of the same songs on it that was also called God Help the Girl). I think it's more solid than anything Belle and Sebastian proper have released in the last decade.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
How To Dress Well was amazing and the crowd was not. I got my record signed and met Tom, but poo poo people shut up when someone is performing. Probably didn't get an encore because of people.

Video. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101169269541644

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The new Zammuto album, Anchor, came out earlier this week. It's good, but Pitchfork doesn't like it. They're dumb. He did a rock song for the first time. The first single is Great Equator, which sounds a lot like his self-titled, but the album goes in some new directions.

I don't think I like it as much as his last solo album, but it does some interesting stuff.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt, because I like everything Zammuto does, including his weird pre-Books stuff and it's getting mixed reviews, so it might not grab you the same way.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 6, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

The new Zammuto album, Anchor, came out earlier this week. It's good, but Pitchfork doesn't like it. They're dumb. He did a rock song for the first time. The first single is Great Equator, which sounds a lot like his self-titled, but the album goes in some new directions.

I don't think I like it as much as his last solo album, but it does some interesting stuff.

Edit: Take this with a grain of salt, because I like everything Zammuto does, including his weird pre-Books stuff and it's getting mixed reviews, so it might not grab you the same way.

I'm a huge Zammuto fan so I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm a huge Zammuto fan so I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up!
I think it'll probably grow on me, but it's pretty different. Also, if you haven't seen it, Zammuto is not above masturbation jokes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it'll probably grow on me, but it's pretty different. Also, if you haven't seen it, Zammuto is not above masturbation jokes.

Ahahaha that rules.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I ran a search on this thread, so I think it's fair to post about The Milk Carton Kids. They are not releasing an album soon or anything, but I cannot understand how this folk duo is not getting more play. Two guitars, two singers, phenomenal harmonies, impressive finger picking, heartfelt melodies. Comparisons to Simon & Garfunkel and Everly Brothers have been made, but obviously they stand on their own.

Live show at the Lincoln Theatre. You don't need to go beyond one song to recognize how good this music is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8eBrhVTJ4

Plus they have their first two albums free on their website! What a nice bunch o' kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

How To Dress Well was amazing and the crowd was not. I got my record signed and met Tom, but poo poo people shut up when someone is performing. Probably didn't get an encore because of people.

Video. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101169269541644
The encore was him singing "Decisions" acapella, without a microphone.

I'm sorry you missed it :smith:.