Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

This thread is for the gamer moms out there that we know & love. Share your best mom stories.

I remember we used to play the first super mario bros when I was little. She would always start and say 'when I die you can start playing' but she never died. I used to be all like "MOM!!!!" but she kept to the rules -- she knew what she had to do to raise a hardcore gamer and I'm glad she did. My favorite moment though is when she showed me the whistle trick on super mario bros. 3. A big moment in gaming for me.

She can't beat me in any game now, though, but we game whenever I hang out with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
accidently made this thread in games so here is my op

quote:

my mom was decidedly not cool about video games growing up, but that never stopped her from enabling me.

a couple years ago though i was sitting in her office with her partner and she mentioned to him that "it makes more sense as an entertainment value to spend 60 bucks on a video game you can play all you want instead of spending twenty on a two hour movie." it was a strangely astute observation and the only media my mom consumes is downton abbey and fifty shades of grey

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

me and my brother were always PC gamers but in our late teens we started buying consoles and our mom was like why buy a console if you can play vidya games on PC and we were like well yeah but there are different games on consoles you wouldn't understand right?

now we have steam and there's no need for consoles anymore yay

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
microwave'smom.jpg

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when I was little I couldn't figure out one of the haunted houses in super mario world, and she actually went up to an employee at funcoland (I think) and asked them to find out how to get through the level for me

and they did

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

My mother can't stand games and thinks they are responsible for the loss of traditional Chinese Values

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
my mom has played hella games but i have nothing notable to say about it

i used to ask her to grind rupees for me in zelda 1 and i don't remember what for

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Widestancer posted:

My mother can't stand games and thinks they are responsible for the loss of traditional Chinese Values

are you/your mom chinese?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im just imaging a white mom who cares about chinese values

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

my mom thinks vido games are a giant waste of time and is discouraging my dream of becoming a video game developer. hopefully I'll listen to her one day.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

are you/your mom chinese?

She is Taiwanese

Also what constitutes traditional Chinese Values for her is really xenophobic and laden with hatred for Japan and funny because of it

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
China is epic

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
my grandma who is 78 or something still plays video games. she introduced little 3yo me to such NES games as final fantasy, kickle or whatever (ice pushing ownage game), original tmnt, gradius, contra, etc. she played all these with me and we played all the good and bad snes games together (yuo know the ones). now she plays ps2 games she's beat all the kingdom hearts, all the jak+daxter games, crash bandicoot games, shadow of colossus, etc etc.

I'm going to buy her a wii u for christmas and play more games with her. she owns. you can hear yelling at the video games during the day+night ("AWW! HELL TURKEY!" "drat IT. POO POO BUTT!" "AHH! GET 'EM GET 'EM HELL FIRE!")

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
a friend of mine's 70~ year old mom actually killed an original gameboy through overuse on tetris

she was more effective in destroying a gameboy through loved usage than the gulf war was with bombs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Widestancer posted:

She is Taiwanese

Also what constitutes traditional Chinese Values for her is really xenophobic and laden with hatred for Japan and funny because of it
so does she only hate japanese games and is cool with like canadian/us/korean games or does she hate those and double hate japanese games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

im just imaging a white mom who cares about chinese values

it is a wise westerner that understands the threat of the Mongols to us all

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

so does she only hate japanese games and is cool with like canadian/us/korean games or does she hate those and double hate japanese games

It's more Japanese culture and I think it stems from similar reasons as to why there are tensions between Korea and Japan China and Japan and...basically every other asian country and Japan

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
My mom's real good at Tetris and Ms. Pac-Man and Puzzle Bobble but I don't think she's ever played anything else besides the NES mario games welp see ya

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

when I was in first grade my mom and I would play tmnt III: the manhattan project every day after she picked me up from school. we even beat it once or twice. these are cherished memories but when you think about it it's really her fault i'm such a piece of poo poo now. thanks mom

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the only game my mom really played much was the Sims and I still turned out to be a piece of poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My mum has been slowly trying to beat Spyro for like 15 years and I was thinking the other day that she'd probably die before defeating Gnasty Gnorc. It made me really appreciate my own mortality.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

She's still really proud of filling out the whole map in Sim City 2000 like 20 years ago.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

She's still really proud of filling out the whole map in Sim City 2000 like 20 years ago.

drat . . . really jealous of ur mom. what a great game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My mum has been slowly trying to beat Spyro for like 15 years and I was thinking the other day that she'd probably die before defeating Gnasty Gnorc. It made me really appreciate my own mortality.

My dad has been playing Halo 1 for 8 months and finally beat it and now he doesn't know what to do

it took him a full year to get through metroid prime and I had to beat the boss for him because the first time he got close to finishing the final form a cat jumped on the reset button

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

it took him a full year to get through metroid prime and I had to beat the boss for him because the first time he got close to finishing the final form a cat jumped on the reset button

pussy's one hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Widestancer posted:

It's more Japanese culture and I think it stems from similar reasons as to why there are tensions between Korea and Japan China and Japan and...basically every other asian country and Japan

Aside from war crimes Japanese colonial rule was all about completely sacrificing your own cultural identity in favor of the Japanese because they saw themselves as some sort of superior father figure compared to every other east asian culture who needed their 'protection' against the shrewd but ultimately cowardly white colonists. Koreans have the biggest gripe about this generally, mostly because they were under Japanese colonial rule the longest. Ofcourse it looks very silly to everyone else.

• Locked thread