Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
Ok cool. And I am able to import my dude correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Badcounterpoint posted:

Ok cool. And I am able to import my dude correct?

You are. You will however lose anything in your inventory, except Pantaloons.

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
Thats lame, but i guess it helps you not break the game right away. I assume you don't keep your party. I have been doing my best to not look stuff up to keep from getting spoilers.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
It makes sense within the story and also you will have much better equipment fairly soon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Badcounterpoint posted:

Thats lame, but i guess it helps you not break the game right away. I assume you don't keep your party. I have been doing my best to not look stuff up to keep from getting spoilers.

You will better stuff quickly, and see some familiar faces right away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a shame they're not going for IWD2EE instead. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread IWD1 works pretty well on modern systems but IWD2 is totally laggy and unplayable and it's a real shame - playing with the 3rd edition rules is just generally more fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

IWD2 is 3.0 and probably the most niche of the IE games due to its ridiculous difficulty. I'll be surprised if they have it the EE treatment but if they've got the rights to 1 they almost certainly have the rights to 2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taear posted:

It's a shame they're not going for IWD2EE instead. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread IWD1 works pretty well on modern systems but IWD2 is totally laggy and unplayable and it's a real shame - playing with the 3rd edition rules is just generally more fun.

FYI, this isn't a universal problem. I think when you mentioned it, me and a couple others spoke up saying ours played fine (mine from gog). It might be worth seeing if you can fix yours, if you're wanting to play it.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
GOG versions seem to work pretty well, though I have gotten some random ~3 second freezes from time to time (BG2, IWD2 a couple times though I've barely played that one).

Beamdog will almost certainly release IWD2EE next. Suckers (like me) will keep handing them money so why the hell not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Karmalaa70 posted:

GOG versions seem to work pretty well, though I have gotten some random ~3 second freezes from time to time (BG2, IWD2 a couple times though I've barely played that one).

This is exactly what I have. As far as I can tell there's no way to fix it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
If you are having trouble with IE games such as stuttering, flickering, lag, brief freezes etc then you should try the following:

1. Download the Application Compatibility Toolkit from the microsoft website.
2. Open the 32-bit version.
3. Create a custom database and include the fix called "Force DirectDraw Emulation" or whatever looks like that
4. Apply that database to your IWD.exe or BG2.exe etc

My memory is a bit hazy but that is a rough guide on how to resolve most of the issues with IE games. I posted this fix ages ago and it usually fixes these problems:

quote:

Hey OP there is a significant issue with IWD2 (which might affect the earlier IE games, such as Planescape, as well). It's an issue involving very annoying stuttering and flickering and which is caused by the engine relying on something called DirectDraw, which is a deprecated DirectX function or some poo poo. Anyway there are two ways of fixing the issue. Last time I checked, people with Nvidia cards could make some custom driver profile which would force DirectDraw emulation for IWD2. I have an ATI card so I can't verify this. The second fix, which I use, involves using an application set released by Microsoft called the Application Compatibility Toolkit (or something like that). You can download this for free from Microsoft's support website. What you do is you open the 32 bit Compatibility Administrator, create a new database (name it IWD2 fix or something), select the IWD2 executable, under Compatibility Fixes you choose ForceDirectDrawEmulation, and then you save and install the database. That's all there is to it, you don't need any of the applications open when you run the games. As I mentioned earlier, you might need to install this for Planescape and IWD1 as well. I never had problems with BG or BG2.

edit: lol it's in the OP

Someone told me that random freezes can sometimes be caused by the games trying to write to program files if they don't have the correct permissions. I have no idea if that is true or not but I usually install these games outside of program files.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Since this is the dedicated thread for infinity engine games, I felt this would be the best place to ask. Now that Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has been announced, approximately how long would it take for preorders to go up on steam? I honestly didn't care about BG and BG2:EE, but I genuinely love Icewind Dale. The biggest reason for this is that however good Beamdog may or may not be, I'm really not as familiar with it as I am with Steam or even GOG, and would really prefer to have it in my steam library.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Pengu! posted:

Since this is the dedicated thread for infinity engine games, I felt this would be the best place to ask. Now that Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has been announced, approximately how long would it take for preorders to go up on steam? I honestly didn't care about BG and BG2:EE, but I genuinely love Icewind Dale. The biggest reason for this is that however good Beamdog may or may not be, I'm really not as familiar with it as I am with Steam or even GOG, and would really prefer to have it in my steam library.

If it's anything like their previous games there won't be a preorder on steam. They give dibs to their own distribution software so expect a few days delay between it being released on the Beamdog client and steam. That being said, they mentioned it was in beta already, I would expect it to be on steam sometime in October.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

MegaGatts posted:

If it's anything like their previous games there won't be a preorder on steam. They give dibs to their own distribution software so expect a few days delay between it being released on the Beamdog client and steam. That being said, they mentioned it was in beta already, I would expect it to be on steam sometime in October.

OK, that really helps. I'll make sure to watch the news concerning it then. On a different note, I'm surprised it's taken anyone this long to implement kits into Icewind Dale BG Tutu style. I was shocked to find there is only one mod, unfinished nonetheless, that does anything resembling that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pengu! posted:

OK, that really helps. I'll make sure to watch the news concerning it then. On a different note, I'm surprised it's taken anyone this long to implement kits into Icewind Dale BG Tutu style. I was shocked to find there is only one mod, unfinished nonetheless, that does anything resembling that.

As annoyed as I am about the slow patching of the BG games, IWD (either or both) is an instant buy for me... I'd just like them to take their time and get it right at release. I played through BG1 last fall with a Blade main and picked up BG2EE right after Christmas. I held off on going through 2 because of the bugs, but here it is many months later and they've fixed gently caress all. By the time they get 2 patched up properly, I am probably just going to start at 1 again because my previous playthrough will seem so distant.

I know that Beamdog is a small company, but I think that this is absurd and I stand by that opinion.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

So I'm on my first playthrough of BG (EE version) and I didn't realize I lose all the quests in my journal by advancing the story. I had a whole bunch that just went poof after I went to the bandit camp in the northeast part of the world map. Most of my guys are levels 3-4 and I'm currently running CHARNAME as a Kensai, Minsc, Imoen, Xan, Neera, and Dynaheir. I had Khalid and Jaheira but a friend told me Minsc was cool so I dropped K&J. It hurts not having any healing spells outside of my 2 charges of lovely Kensai cure light wounds but I'm making do with potions and resting + quicksaving a shitload.

Since I don't have any other quests in my log besides Go To Cloakwood And Do Stuff I tried going to Cloakwood but I always get an encounter with ettercaps as soon as I get there and they absolutely loving wreck me. I spam Sleep at them to no effect, they 2 shot my casters, and it just sucks :mad:. Any advice?

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Callick posted:

So I'm on my first playthrough of BG (EE version) and I didn't realize I lose all the quests in my journal by advancing the story. I had a whole bunch that just went poof after I went to the bandit camp in the northeast part of the world map. Most of my guys are levels 3-4 and I'm currently running CHARNAME as a Kensai, Minsc, Imoen, Xan, Neera, and Dynaheir. I had Khalid and Jaheira but a friend told me Minsc was cool so I dropped K&J. It hurts not having any healing spells outside of my 2 charges of lovely Kensai cure light wounds but I'm making do with potions and resting + quicksaving a shitload.

Since I don't have any other quests in my log besides Go To Cloakwood And Do Stuff I tried going to Cloakwood but I always get an encounter with ettercaps as soon as I get there and they absolutely loving wreck me. I spam Sleep at them to no effect, they 2 shot my casters, and it just sucks :mad:. Any advice?

You didn't lose your quests, they're sorted by the chapter you got them in your journal. There are arrow buttons (that don't look like arrows at first glance) to switch between chapter pages.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Koskinator posted:

You didn't lose your quests, they're sorted by the chapter you got them in your journal. There are arrow buttons (that don't look like arrows at first glance) to switch between chapter pages.

Cool, thanks. :)

Edit: Also I've discovered that grinding Ankhegs in that hole near the fishermen is really good experience but drat those bug heads are heavy as gently caress.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm finding far too much amusement in Neera toting the Staff of the Magi for the innate Protection from Evil, wandering into places and Gating in a horrible monster, then just kind of wandering away. She can even do it before level 7 spells open up with Reckless Dweomer.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm going to give the BG 1 Enhanced Edition a second chance and I was wondering if there are any mods to make all the characters that you aren't using in your party go to the same place instead of wandering around wherever you dumped them.

Also, what would good starting stats for an Inquisitor character?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
RE: IWDEE, it seems like kind of a waste, but on the other hand the idea of steamrolling the game with an inquisitor and a bunch of dual-wielding half-orc berserkers is pretty hilarious

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

radlum posted:

I'm going to give the BG 1 Enhanced Edition a second chance and I was wondering if there are any mods to make all the characters that you aren't using in your party go to the same place instead of wandering around wherever you dumped them.

Also, what would good starting stats for an Inquisitor character?

It's one of the tweaks in SCS. http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Excelzior posted:

I wouldn't mind Baldur's Gate 1.5. Any level drop at the start of BG2 can easily be explained as the result of Irenicus' attempts at draining your essence
Personally I don't like the idea of having XP removed. It feels to me as if the game is taking away the reward it gave you for finishing the game. I'm OK if you are given the choice to lose XP, e.g. at the Tears of Bhaal tests, though.

Callick posted:

I spam Sleep at them to no effect, they 2 shot my casters, and it just sucks :mad:. Any advice?
Sleep only works on really low level enemies. You'll have to stop using it at this point in the game. Have your clerics prepare Slow Poison or get potions that cure poison to take care of their most dangerous ability.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Return to Trademeet did get released though?

it did? i thought it was just the kits or something... i remember seeing a comment from the guy who was making it on the shs forums saying beamdog have the rights to the assets now, might have read it wrong.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

I did it, I got to Baldur's Gate. Those speed boots on my CHARNAME kensai + having Xan cast invisibility on him made the Cloakwood mines hilarious. I was just zipping around mapping out all the encounters so I could loving obliterate the groups of enemies before they had a chance. :c00l:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, Icewind Dale being ported to the BGII EE engine should mean modding would be much easier to do for the game now. I mean, SCS would be relatively easy to port over if you want to run that plus Heart of the Fury mode.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Modding IWD1 is piss-easy, man. Trust me

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, Icewind Dale being ported to the BGII EE engine should mean modding would be much easier to do for the game now. I mean, SCS would be relatively easy to port over if you want to run that plus Heart of the Fury mode.

IWD doesn't need AI tweaks as bad as BG2 does because mage scripting isn't what gives the game its challenge. The challenge comes from a group or groups of melee and ranged monsters from differing angles. The fights are so well put together that just the default aggressive script does the job well enough.

I will say I am kind of curious how the game will play after the scs guys get ahold of it. BG2 spells in the mages spell books with scs scripting and the massive number of conventional enemies sounds really fun. I just hope that they aren't afraid to drop a few dozen more casters in the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I read in the OP that magic classes tend to excel most in BG2. I'm planning on playing through BG1&2, and want to be pretty badass in 2 as well as carry over the same character I make at the start of one. That means I have to make a magic character that is decent in one that will be a badass in two. What exactly should I go in terms of race/class/stats? I'm partial to necromancer themed things, but I'll do whatever works well.

Edit: I remember reading that kensai/mages are pretty good.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 3, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I read in the OP that magic classes tend to excel most in BG2. I'm planning on playing through BG1&2, and want to be pretty badass in 2 as well as carry over the same character I make at the start of one. That means I have to make a magic character that is decent in one that will be a badass in two. What exactly should I go in terms of race/class/stats? I'm partial to necromancer themed things, but I'll do whatever works well.

You should role a Wildmage and only reload when you die. Make sure sleep is one of your starting spells and you'll be useful for the early game, then once you hit level 5 you'll become the power house of the group. Protip, buffs/debuffs are usually more useful when you only have a couple of spells per level. Fireball is tempting as you go to level 3 spell, but if you have good hitters in your party, haste is going to do a lot more damage and slow will make mob fights a lot easier.

Stats: Elf, strength 12ish (I think that's the point max carry weight doesn't become horribly inconvenient) dex 19 (the only reason you're an elf), con 16, int at least 15 9assuming you are playing on normal, higher difficulties and a reluctance to reload would make higher int better), wis as high as you can make it, (but only to abuse late game spell poo poo in BG2 and ToB, otherwise gently caress it, I don't think it does anything for characters who aren't priests, outside maybe 2 dialogue choices), cha not that important, in BG1 there is only one shop you find before getting companions with decent cha, and the only thin cha is really used for is shop prices.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Kensai/Mage is terrible in BG1 in exchange for being a godlike character that can solo ToB. It's not a good start.

Thieves/Mages are not fun to play in BG1, while Fighters are hilariously powerful. Everything is fun to play in BG2, but Mages are the most powerful, and the NPC Mages outside of Edwin have personality issues. Everything is equally powerful in ToB outside of a few specific cases like Kensai/Mage, since Fighters start getting HLAs.

So if you want to be the same character through the series, and want to be powerful throughout, just go Fighter in BG1, then dualclass to Mage in 2. You'll get all the benefits of Fighter in 1, and all the benefits of Mage in 2 ( along with triple average Mage health, the ability to use swords and hit things, and casting spells in armor. ).

Or yeah go Wildmage and just use Nahal's on everything to keep things interesting. You'll have to keep your finger on quicksave/quickload incase it misfires, but it'll let you cast higher level spells faster/more frequently, which gets you out of some of the BG1 Mages problems.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Roll a human Berserker in BG, then dual over to Mage in BG2. Best of both worlds - less powerful than the Kensai, but immensely more durable.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll look into all of them right now.

One question about dueling into mage in BG2.

How exactly does that work? Will my character be x level (actually around what level will I be at the end of BG1?) at the end of BG1, maintain that level when I move over to BG2 then I dual over to mage immediately in BG2? Or should I wait for a certain level to do so? I'm not really sure of the exact process.

I really know nothing at all about the Infinity engine or even CRPGs in general so I'm a complete dunce when it comes to these things.

Edit: After doing some research, it seems to be best to dual into mage at lvl 9. Is that right? Also, which would be good weapon proficiencies and how should I distribute my skill points initially? Sorry for all the questions, but these games seem like a pretty big time investment and I want to make sure I get it right the first time cause if I have to reroll I will probably lose interest.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 3, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

If you import your bg1 character into BG2, it will retain whatever experience total you had at the end of BG1 (up to 161 000 xp).

There's three popular options for when to dual class from Fighter into Mage :

-At level 9, after getting the proficiency point; enables you to regain your skills faster (level 10 mage, 250 000xp later) but will make you miss out on the later bonuses;
-At level 10 : this is the last level in which a Fighter gains 1d10 hp. You regain at Mage level 11, 375 000 xp later.
-At level 13 : This is the last practical level; at level 13 Fighters gains an extra 1/2 an attack per round, and you can still reactivate your class towards the end of BG2 at Mage 14.
There's very few advantages to waiting past 13 beyond faster Proficiency point progression.

For a first run, I suggest investing your points to get Grandmaster in Flails or Maces and then either multiweapon style(for dual-wielding) or sword and shield style (does not require a sword despite the name)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Thanks. This is what I'm going to go with. I was a little torn between an extra dex point and the wisdom, but some sources recommend keeping wis and cha at 10 or more to avoid penalties, and I figured I'd be fine with 17 dex, especially since I'll mostly be casting for BG2, plus there are presumable items to eek out the last dex point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Physical stats matter to everyone. Wisdom is only relevant to clerics (and then only just) and wizards casting wish. But if you're gonna cast wish you might as well keep a potion of insight handy.

Intelligence is slightly more important across the board in that it's the only thing separating you from a Mind Flayer's gullet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If someone's not playing BG1/2 before don't suggest that they dual class, jesus. Just play an Inquisitor or stick with whatever you want - it's a party game, after all.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

I stick by what I said in the OP for first timers. A half orc fighter/cleric is a great newbie class. It gets you into spellcasting, but beefy enough to handle things even with sub optimal buffs. Plus it can raise skeletons, the second best summon in the game not counting HLAs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mordenkainen's swords, aerial servants and fire elementals are all better than skeletons. Just sayin~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I had to check something in BGEE and after the patch when you join Dynaheir in the gnoll place she forces Minsc to join your party
Even when he's in Nashkel, which mean you're hosed because you can't travel when your characters are on two maps
jesus christ