Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My vote? 1986

lets see, the NES just came out so you will get all those games as you grow up, get a super nintendo christmas 92 with mario kart, hell yeah ps1/saturn/n64 early childhood and then...WOAH...1999? The mother loving dreamcast when you are 13 + getting into PC gaming? yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i was born in 88 and got a launch snes and my dad somehow convinced me all my nes games were new too

so i got end of life price nes games to help the family budget, cool rear end snes games occasionally when we had the money, and i was playing shareware doom when i was 5

i wasn't allowed to play wolfenstein because you could shoot dogs

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

1983 because you were born right on the edge of the game crash and everything you ever play constitutes a post apocalyptic experience

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I was born in 89 and grew up playing c64, got an NES when I was like 6 and an SNES way after that. I continue to ask myself if I was tricked to live in the past.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Pizzatime posted:

I was born in 89 and grew up playing c64, got an NES when I was like 6 and an SNES way after that. I continue to ask myself if I was tricked to live in the past.

you were, but you did not suffer for it

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I was born in '49, a Cold War kid in McCarthy time. Stop 'em at the 38th parallel. Blast those yellow Reds to hell.

Anyway Frogger is good.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
88 cus you basically got to grow up with the industry and whine about how games these days suck

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
all games are good and they keep releasing more games so it is therefore as late as possible

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Cyra posted:

88 cus you basically got to grow up with the industry and whine about how games these days suck

agreed. anyone else play rainbow 6/rogue spear on 56k? there was no better gamer anticipation moment than the in-game wait while everyone loaded/synced to network or whatever before each round.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

can confirm that being born in 86 owned

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

kill you are self posted:

agreed. anyone else play rainbow 6/rogue spear on 56k? there was no better gamer anticipation moment than the in-game wait while everyone loaded/synced to network or whatever before each round.

my parents deleted my copy of Exile 3 any time they found it because the switch to 256 color made my mom think it was a virus and my dad went along with whatever she said

so i used to sit around and read stuff like Adventures in Time and Space and wait for it to redownload

if you can't tell the difference between a 33.6k and a 56k connection based on sound you're a scrub

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i remember the fights at school about Q3 vs UT99

hell yeah

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The most important thing is that your a teen when wow came out.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I was in my late teens.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

i remember the fights at school about Q3 vs UT99

hell yeah

Every1 i knew played ut.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had UT99 but those quake boys wouldn't shut up about it and its "legendary AI"

meanwhile im fragging noobs on facing worlds, and doing kick rear end assault runs!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ryu Vs. Ken at the lunch table

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
2048 because you know you are going to see some next level poo poo and we'll all be dead from the great US/China re-alignment so nobody to bitch about how bad games are these days

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

i had UT99 but those quake boys wouldn't shut up about it and its "legendary AI"

meanwhile im fragging noobs on facing worlds, and doing kick rear end assault runs!

I want to quote this before Wormskull gets here and shits himself

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

You were fragging noobs all right... everyone who played UT99!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DoubleDonut posted:

I want to quote this before Wormskull gets here and shits himself

I made the previous post for him.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ragg posted:

Ragg, i like you, but you need to gently caress right off with this poo poo

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

could you imagine. maybe we fragged eachother 15 years ago and didn't know it!

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

I remember playing matches on the symmetrical level with two bunkers facing each other, and everyone would poke their heads up for a second before hiding again and it was like hide and seek with sniper rifles.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

the year games were elevated to an art form

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i played a lot of pressure cooker growing up

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Concordat posted:

I remember playing matches on the symmetrical level with two bunkers facing each other, and everyone would poke their heads up for a second before hiding again and it was like hide and seek with sniper rifles.

ye it was called bunkers iirc. i can't name a fav map on those games, all the maps were so good. siberia (with the big sphere radar thing), the met (the big mansion or whatever), chateau, various custom maps. man that game owned. I'd seriously be down for playing again but getting it to work on windows 7 and hosting matches is beyond me.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

could you imagine. maybe we fragged eachother 15 years ago and didn't know it!

sick train of thought imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

84. your first memories are of your dad pretending that he got the NES for you

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That year I was born was the best because all the best games were made when I was a kid. It was all downhill from there.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

my parents deleted my copy of Exile 3 any time they found it because the switch to 256 color made my mom think it was a virus and my dad went along with whatever she said

so i used to sit around and read stuff like Adventures in Time and Space and wait for it to redownload

if you can't tell the difference between a 33.6k and a 56k connection based on sound you're a scrub

oh man you made me remember how 12 year-old me thought that the 56k connecting sounded "worse" than the 32k. I was literally disappointed by it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Every1 i knew played ut.

Sad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Sad.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

ye it was called bunkers iirc. i can't name a fav map on those games, all the maps were so good. siberia (with the big sphere radar thing), the met (the big mansion or whatever), chateau, various custom maps. man that game owned. I'd seriously be down for playing again but getting it to work on windows 7 and hosting matches is beyond me.

Actually given the latency it was more like battleship than hide and seek.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

my friend mailing "laguna", first time I even realised games were made by people even though I have no idea who the hell laguna is, because he got stuck in breath of fire 2 and it should clearly be capcom that the gamebox referred you to, and getting mailed back a bunch of hastily printed out pages of all the secrets in that game effectively making him the king of the playground.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Thank you.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

ut > quake it's just true :shrug:

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
quake's more fun, tho

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Tekopo posted:

can confirm that being born in 86 owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

quake's more fun, tho

It's also better.

• Locked thread