Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I only just got into the show this last week. I'm sure I would have been put off by the show's slow pace and all if I hadn't marathoned everything right up to Vampire SWAT introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm half way through Episode 6 and I am about to give up because this episode was concentrated annoying bullshit. From Setrakian's near-miss with the bullshit "need my pills" trope to Alzheimer's mom being annoying, to the new boyfriend calling the FBI and the ex-wife who won't believe Eph bullshit annoying cliche. gently caress this episode. Ugh.

EDIT: The interrogator. gently caress this, I'm out.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 30, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sounds good, bye.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Sounds good, bye.

He's one of the lucky ones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fletcher posted:

This show is entertaining as hell. Vampire kill squad was badass as gently caress. Every time the credits roll I'm just like nooooo I want more.

Makes you wish that the show was 40 minutes of badass cool poo poo with 5 minutes of boring scenes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm half way through Episode 6 and I am about to give up because this episode was concentrated annoying bullshit. From Setrakian's near-miss with the bullshit "need my pills" trope to Alzheimer's mom being annoying, to the new boyfriend calling the FBI and the ex-wife who won't believe Eph bullshit annoying cliche. gently caress this episode. Ugh.

EDIT: The interrogator. gently caress this, I'm out.

This show being cliche as hell is half the fun.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

This show being cliche as hell is half the fun.

You just have to hang in for the cool monster moments.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I think that we're starting to get to the point in the books where the action picks up IF they are following the books that is.

Book 1 was boring as hell too but had the advantage of being able to show what the characters are thinking and build intrigue. The show not so much.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah blitzed this show over the week, it's stupid and fun and decent enough considering it's on FX. The pacing would probably bother me more if I were watching week to week, but on the bright side some of the more interesting characters are being fleshed out. Also with the custody hearing out of the way, we have to be past the worst of Ephraim's family drama. Plus, half vampire dude and SVAT team being introduced have gotta mean cool poo poo happening.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
ExWife's dickhead boyfriend surely must have turned by this point. I expect next episode is going to be focused on them and the boy being stupid.

I enjoy this show, but it's certainly not the best. I can enjoy it for what it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The way the characters never listen to each other is aggravating to watch.

Person 1: Look there are these crazy monsters, see heres one right in front of you and I have videos of them. Hey look there are a bunch running around in the street.
person 2: Oh don't be silly/I don't care what you have to say rear end in a top hat.

I swear this poo poo happens at least twice an episode. The Jamaican lady and her daughter not listening, followed by the kids not listening when she tells them not to go in the house is pretty much the Strain in a nutshell. Also, the Mexican guy that was arrested for killing the dude who was clearly a vampire because the cops refused to look at the body... Gah.

embee
Jun 18, 2004

On the other hand, cloacas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U4zemqaq68

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

This episode is off to a fantastic start.

Rudy (might have) got bit! :stonk:

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 1, 2014

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Not Samwise Gamgee!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I love that the girl that made a run for it succeed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god that was so goddamn gross.

frgildan posted:

I love that the girl that made a run for it succeed.

Well, maybe. She wasn't killed right there. Who knows how far she actually made it.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Samwise is hosed. Those worms, man.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Welp, later Rudy.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Vasiliy is a wonderful man.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

muscles like this? posted:

Oh my god that was so goddamn gross.

Well, maybe. She wasn't killed right there. Who knows how far she actually made it.

True but I love that the show rewarded no matter how short it maybe the stupidest plan possible.

Vasiliy is the best character.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 1, 2014

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Vasiliy is literally more useful than the rest of the others combined.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

MakaVillian posted:

Amen.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

MakaVillian posted:

Everyone else: WE HAVE TO DEBATE THE MORALS

Vasiliy: oh hell *pops a cap in Rudy*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gas pump bit was pretty good too.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Acquilae posted:

I loved that right before the blitz to the bread truck Ephraim choose to walk off to the hallway full of vampires to sulk.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
He is comically angsty.

WHERE WAS OUR AWESOME VAMPIRE SWAT TEAM :mad:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do CDC people have guns?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Acquilae posted:

And technically Samwise did make the decision to die despite what the lady doctor said.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

MakaVillian posted:

And technically Samwise did make the decision to die despite what the lady doctor said.
That's the best part about it, he was demanding it and after Vasiliy shot him she was all "it's not your choice to make!"

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

Why do CDC people have guns?

They got them at the pawnshop with all the other anti-vampire weapons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Who on Earth after seeming the savage looking monsters outside attacking people and being set on fire by UV lights would still be an rear end in a top hat to the vampire hunters trying to collect supplies and draw a gun on them.

Why is CDC doc still trying to doubt Setrakian? Vassily is the smartest person on the show by far. The first thing he does is ask Setrakian the "rules". Doesn't bother quibbling or arguing just "How do I kill them".

loving finally, this is the show I've wanted to watch. After 7 episodes of terrible pacing, constantly forcing in stupid unnecessary drama (don't take my son waaaaaah!)finally we get to see vampire fighting action.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone is an amazingly good shot.

Also, do gas pumps work when the power is off?

withak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 1, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

frgildan posted:

Vasiliy is the best character.

Yes, yes he is. A big hulking vampire slayer filled with great knowledge like "gasoline is a liquid that wants to be a gas, work quickly!". His " What are the rules?" question was great. No debate, nothing but tell me what I need to know quickly and efficiently.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You rear end licking, mother loving, cock sucking piece of poo poo of a show. This is what you could have been, should have been from the very first show and you wait till episode 8 to give us what we all wanted. God drat I loved it.

Highlight of the night, Rat Catcher deciding to use Premium Gas instead of Regular. Second best, Rat Catcher offing the CDC turncoat stooge for all the right reasons.

Holy poo poo was this a good episode. Where was this all along?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Vasiliy is hands down the protagonist in both books and show. Even if both source materials refuse to really come out and say it. The rest are just there to move the plot along but Vasiliy is really really the driving force for everything. So glad to see the show FINALLY get to the point where he's front and centre.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Vasiliy is hands down the protagonist in both books and show. Even if both source materials refuse to really come out and say it. The rest are just there to move the plot along but Vasiliy is really really the driving force for everything. So glad to see the show FINALLY get to the point where he's front and centre.

The constant "This is a disease that causes a transformation" from Eph is infuriating by this point, and his "I don't believe you" face whenever the guy who's been hunting these creatures for 40+ years says something like "The Master can see all they see" is past the point of believability even for this show.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

The constant "This is a disease that causes a transformation" from Eph is infuriating by this point, and his "I don't believe you" face whenever the guy who's been hunting these creatures for 40+ years says something like "The Master can see all they see" is past the point of believability even for this show.

It's odd because I don't believe he's like that in the book yet for some reason the show really wants to put him as the "voice of reason" type character. Weird, weird change for sure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

radical meme posted:

You rear end licking, mother loving, cock sucking piece of poo poo of a show. This is what you could have been, should have been from the very first show and you wait till episode 8 to give us what we all wanted. God drat I loved it.

This is my thought on the subject, as well.

Where was it, indeed. Egregious. This was a pretty fun episode, barring some (now) easily overlookable Eph silliness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The problem is that the CDC cast still hasn't realised that they're in a vampire show. Everyone else of the main cast (aside from mexican gangster) are now fully along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Vasilliy asking for 'the rules' and Setrakian yelling at Eph both were fantastic lines. Tonight's episode loving ruled.

• Locked thread