Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's so sad that they could have gotten 7 episodes of exposition out of the way in the first two episodes and have been off and running with this type of thing in the third and fourth ep.

Also, I was kinda laughing at the whole hacker chick being in the gas station with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Drifter posted:

Also, I was kinda laughing at the whole hacker chick being in the gas station with them.

Yeah, this episode really played up the absurdity of the characters bumping into each other all the time. We already got that earlier this season with the clock robbery. I'm not sure if that is a thing in the books too, or if it's ever even explained if so. It's playing out like Lost, but I have yet to get the sense there was some over-arching mythology in control of these coincidences.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am with everyone who thought this was the best episode. It had a horror movies like feel, which is where this show really excels.

Also Vasilliy and Setrakian are the protagonists as far as I am concerned. I do not really hate the doctors, but they are pretty much as generic as you can get. The only thing that bothered me a tiny bit, was the fact that if the vehicle was so close to being usable, they should have put EVERY effort to finish it. I mean grab all the lamps and push back, it is a hell of a lot better than running outside to the bread truck. Also the attendant wins the prize for dumbest person this episode, with bread truck driver a close second. I laughed that the first lady actually made it as far as we can tell.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Also Vasilliy and Setrakian are the protagonists as far as I am concerned.

If they don't poo poo the bed and neuter the best parts of the books, they are the protagonists as far as the story is concerned too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Teek posted:

Yeah, this episode really played up the absurdity of the characters bumping into each other all the time. We already got that earlier this season with the clock robbery. I'm not sure if that is a thing in the books too, or if it's ever even explained if so. It's playing out like Lost, but I have yet to get the sense there was some over-arching mythology in control of these coincidences.

But I mean, these characters are the ones that get followed in the show, so of course they hook up eventually. We don't get to see the 12 other hacker chicks who started to piece things together and then got eaten. Its not so much "look how the Lost passengers' lives intersect" as "this is how these random people meet up."

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I find it much easier to believe that vampires can be things than uv lights can work without being plugged in

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Didn't they say that they were running them off of batteries?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah they were battery-powered. I'm not sure whether battery-powered UV lamps are really something that you would find in a medical supply store though. They did have good batteries because they must have been wired up to run the gas pump at some point also.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

if they're battery powered why did samewise have to go through the trouble of plugging the first one in?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fateo McMurray posted:

if they're battery powered why did samewise have to go through the trouble of plugging the first one in?

They needed to be charged.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Convenient story

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The exterminator guy also happens to be an expert on the subject of how long rechargeable medical UV lamp batteries will last.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

withak posted:

The exterminator guy also happens to be an expert on the subject of how long rechargeable medical UV lamp batteries will last.

He must've read the instructions on the back.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

I find it much easier to believe that vampires can be things than uv lights can work without being plugged in

As if this were the largest plot hole of the episode.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

matrocious posted:

As if this were the largest plot hole of the episode.

Electricity's right up there with magnets when it comes to confusing people.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

withak posted:

Yeah they were battery-powered. I'm not sure whether battery-powered UV lamps are really something that you would find in a medical supply store though. They did have good batteries because they must have been wired up to run the gas pump at some point also.

For a regular person who has never seen a medical UV lamp in real life,neither knew of their existence, it worked because I thought they were like those normal lamps that you use in case of an emergency. :shrug: Well,I learned something new.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

He must've read the instructions on the back.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Come on, no one else recognised Rick Baker as "Brooklyn Guy"?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2014

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
That was Rick Baker? Haha that's awesome. I thought he looked familiar.

Also in the books Fet uses the blacklights a lot to find rat urine so it's not surprising he knows about UV lamps. Plus he's the best character so he can do whatever he wants and know everything.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Definitely the standout episode of the show, and a lot of stupid fun. They are aggressively changing direction of the protagonists the viewer will actually care about as if they realized they bet on the wrong horses for the first 6 episodes. Less horrible wigs and belabored handwringing that isn't at all believable, more shooting sean astin in the head

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't see them actually shooting that guy, glad they did.

VVV Oops yeah I meant I watched it happen, but I expected them to drag it out for an episode or 2 like "If we kill him we're no better than the vamps!!" *kills 7 other guys without remorse* VVV

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 1, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yeah they did, Vasily triple tapped him like a pro in close-up but then they never showed his corpse again. Must be union rules or something!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 1, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Whispering Machines posted:

That was Rick Baker? Haha that's awesome. I thought he looked familiar.

Also in the books Fet uses the blacklights a lot to find rat urine so it's not surprising he knows about UV lamps. Plus he's the best character so he can do whatever he wants and know everything.

UV lights are like basic equipment in the cleaning business. More like flashlight types, but they're not some arcane thing you can only get from 2 stores in a city like Mew York. We have a bunch of them at work. I just conceded that the show needed high-intensity ones for vampire reasons, but in all fairness grow lights for weed growers would probably do the trick too.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

They really should have sold Vasilliy as the protagonist of the show imo. A badass literal ratcatcher turned vampire hunter? Hell yes. Instead they spent episode after episode showing us Eph's divorce and kid and zzzzzzzz

Eph and the woman doctor (she's so boring I can't even remember her name) are just the worst.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

withak posted:

He's the smartest person on this show so I don't doubt he knows something about them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Noirex posted:

Eph and the woman doctor (she's so boring I can't even remember her name) are just the worst.

Her two character traits are an Alzheimer mom and irrational convictions.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can get over Eph being all "The master sees what now?" because the disease can be somehow grounded with science, but the master seeing through all of his slaves/being able to order them around is basically fantasy world -level stuff with no reasonable chain of reasoning at all.

He's still dumb, of course.

This episode kept me on the edge of my seat, constantly. I have to say I liked Vasiliy ever since he was in that shop showing a sketch of the vampires, I mean, by then I realized "This guy can't be just a regular rat exterminator, dude can draw, that's some clear characterization going on there." And apparently he was academically gifted which we found out from the conversation with his father.

Why didn't they use the infected guy as a bait/fighting force that doesn't have to be afraid of getting infected and off him later on?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Badass episode start to finish. RIP Rudy.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I liked that Hassan elected to stay in the station even after he presumably heard the rest of the gang discuss their plan to blow it up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So yeah this show basically sucks when it's not about Vasiliy or whatever Eichorst is doing.

As most people have mentioned, the lead character is insufferable, and every time they dwell on any given character's personal problems, it's even more insufferable. Ephraim is a huge rear end in a top hat and a moron. If the show had any hint of genius it would have surprise-killed him off in episode 8. Watching him sit around and whine about his life at custody hearings and therapy sessions was easily the worst part of the show, and when they had other characters start doing it, it was nearly too much.

The show needs to be more about crises and less about downtime to explore characters' families, because it's not good at the latter thing, and really it gets the wrong idea by thinking that this is a draw. The way they handle it, it's not raising the stakes at all or making anyone interesting, it's just burning up time.

The show's insistence for most of the first season that it's a police procedural about the simplest mystery ever also got a little old, and the show is pockmarked with plot holes and convenient coincidences at this point. It was awful nice of Setrakian to remember that you can kill the Master to end the plague only after several days of trying to kill a list of 200+ people by himself.

So, the writing is terrible and some of the characters are worse, but Kevin Durand and his in-and-out Ukrainian accent, along with the Nazi Vampire who thinks Setrakian "just takes things too personally," hold up the show.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 2, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have to know what magical force made the gas pump accept a credit card but the machines and phone lines inside the store were down. Did you guys miss this?

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

life is killing me posted:

I have to know what magical force made the gas pump accept a credit card but the machines and phone lines inside the store were down. Did you guys miss this?

Phone lines and cell towers work when the power of the plot compels them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Capitalism trumps human safety in America.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

life is killing me posted:

Gas pumps run on generators apart from the main power grid just in case of emergencies and giant hurricanes. And have a different internet for validating credit cards. The secret internet for banks.

...just run with this

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Gas pumps run on generators apart from the main power grid just in case of emergencies and giant hurricanes. And have a different internet for validating credit cards. The secret internet for banks.

...just run with this

You're doing better than the writers with this so let us continue

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I love how many people are taking this show seriously. They show is ridiculous, is too much like Blade 2, I love it for what it is.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Plus, it's likely that the credit machines weren't DOWN, but simply rarely able to get a transaction through and they got lucky at the pumps, whereas Hassan's thought was likely 'no, I tried once a few hours ago and I am not trying another card transaction until tomorrow or death by vampire, whichever comes first'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

I liked that Hassan elected to stay in the station even after he presumably heard the rest of the gang discuss their plan to blow it up.

He fit right in with the shows theme of having characters that are so stupid that you have to pause it and take a breather once in a while. I'm sure bread restocking dude would have joined him in there given the opportunity.

Also, I'm kind of bummed super hacker isn't wearing her "OS" shirt anymore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrade Fakename posted:

I lost my poo poo when Joshua called the Quick Stop guy "Apu"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Requesting a gif of the bit where Vasiliy looks at the gas options and chooses premium. Never mind, found it.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread